PDA

View Full Version : New LCP 3740 model

ffhounddog
03-16-2015, 11:34 AM
My wife has been looking at a LCP for a long while.

Background, My wife is a Cop that has family that lives in the Ghetto, she has a hard time not tossing her Kahr K40 in her Purse then forgetting to carry her purse with her due to everything is in her Creds. She always has to pick up the kids and the nephews are teenagers so having it on the hip is nor her not a great option.

I have tried to get her to carry when she goes to many of her families places because they like to tell people she is a Cop. Not good since she tries to keep a low profile.

Has anyone seen this model of the LCP. I just sold a few items and can pay for this gun no problem. She always gravitates to the LCP at the gun store when we pick up a few things from the fun store once a week.

I have just been getting more afraid because she thinks just because she grew up in the area nothing will happen to her. All I know is, she is always asking me if I have a certain item on me if we go to DC to visit and we always get looks because I do not look like I belong. White guy with clothes that fit.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/specSheets/3740.html

Chuck Haggard
03-16-2015, 11:48 AM
I haven't seen that model, but a friend bought a new LCP with the upgraded regular sights and improved trigger, she likes it a lot, and it's been reliable for almost 1000 rounds now.

LockedBreech
03-16-2015, 02:50 PM
I own one of the second-gen LCPs (RIGHT after they fixed the drop safety issue, I think that was at serial prefix 370 and mine is a 372). It has the early garbage trigger and the early nonexistent sights. Mine has been a flawless, reliable little carry workhorse, and I have been strongly considering upgrading to the new model you've referenced here. A better trigger and some semblance of sights would really make this good little holdout gun great.

Hambo
03-16-2015, 03:23 PM
I've been carrying an LCP as a BUG. Mine runs fine. I got used to the crappy trigger and upgraded the crappy sights with white paint, but I'll be buying one of these soon. This is what the LCP should have been to start with.

Chuck Haggard
03-16-2015, 03:28 PM
To be clear, my friend's LCP is the new regular model, but the sights and trigger are much more gooder.

If I was buying now, I'd buy the stainless version.

41magfan
03-16-2015, 04:07 PM
I like the little LCP and between me and by brother, we've shot at least 3k rounds through ours with nary a glitch.

Just a word of concern about this latest iteration; those standup sights aren't likely to fit most of the fitted holsters out there for the LCP, so I'd confirm that if it's an issue relevant to your preferred method of carry.

LockedBreech
03-16-2015, 04:24 PM
I like the little LCP and between me and by brother, we've shot at least 3k rounds through ours with nary a glitch.

Just a word of concern about this latest iteration; those standup sights aren't likely to fit most of the fitted holsters out there for the LCP, so I'd confirm that if it's an issue relevant to your preferred method of carry.

That actually has been my concern. Anyone with the taller sights want to chime in on whether my Desantis Nemesis will keep doing the trick?

41magfan
03-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Just for clarification purposes;

There are three iterations of LCP's out there now. The initial series has a dash (-) in the serial number. The second iteration lacks the dash in the serial number and has slightly improved sights (still just machined in the slide) and a shorter trigger stroke. All of my holsters (kydex, leather & textile) fit both of these versions.

I can pretty much tell just by the product illustration that this newest version will NOT fit my leather or kydex holsters and my best guess is that the front sight profile might cause problems with a Nemesis style holster as well.

One of the reasons I carry an LCP over something like a Kahr .380 is the no-snag profile, which is an essential element for pocket carry IMHO. Besides being not nearly as reliable (two of them), my Kahr's sights or slide stop would snag in the pocket or the holster if not presented exactly right. I have the same concerns with this new model of the LCP.

Sorry for slight derail.

Hambo
03-16-2015, 05:08 PM
That actually has been my concern. Anyone with the taller sights want to chime in on whether my Desantis Nemesis will keep doing the trick?

My Nemesis is rather loose even after I put a few stitches in to tighten it up. I think the tall sights might make me happier with holster fit, but if not I'm willing to buy another holster.

ffhounddog
03-17-2015, 02:31 PM
I just ordered one for her. I will just get one of the locals to make a leather holster for her. She dislikes Kydex with a passion.

cathellsk
03-17-2015, 09:57 PM
I got rid of a perfectly fine regular LCP of current production for one of these custom models. The aluminum trigger was giving me some trigger slap, hurt like hell. That could have been caused by the subzero temps I was shooting in that day. The pull itself was nice as were the sights, extremely easy to see with and accurate. The two issues were holster fit, specifically a Desantis Nemesis that the rear sight catches on and won't come out. The other was the trigger slap. I sold it to a buddy that just had to have it and bought another GLOCK 42.

Clay
03-18-2015, 08:14 AM
We have two LCP's in my house and they have yet to have a malfunction, and I've made a point to shoot everything I can find through them. They've only seen around 500 rounds each, but so far I'm impressed.