PDA

View Full Version : Carry Options for Cyclists

jslaker
02-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Interesting question I was asked by a friend today that I didn't really have a good answer for.

Best answer I could think up was a belly band or possibly a shoulder rig. She found a few bike-mounted options, but I don't like the idea since getting separated from the bike means being separated from the weapon.

Any cyclists around here with suggestions?

ToddG
02-27-2011, 09:00 PM
I rode the LIVESTRONG Challenge a few years ago with a SIG P229R in a fanny pack...

vmi-mo
02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
I rode the LIVESTRONG Challenge a few years ago with a SIG P229R in a fanny pack...

Todd you work out???

Todd you wore a fanny pack???

You are all that is MAN.

:cool:
PJ

SLG
02-27-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't ride anymore, but when I did, appendix worked very well. I used a modified Don Hume back then, and carried a G26 pretty deep. Too deep for normal use.

ToddG
02-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Todd you work out???

I didn't say I won.

I wasn't riding through suburban Philly unarmed.

It wasn't great, but it was workable.

LittleLebowski
02-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Todd you work out???

You are all that is MAN.

:cool:
PJ

Nicely done.

I've given this some thought and a fanny pack or gun with a belt clip would seem to be best. If a clip was made for the S&W Bodyguard, I'd probably be on that like white on rice.

SLG
02-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Another option is the Kit Bag, by Hill People Gear.

The designers of the bag are avid mtn bikers, and though I've never tried it on a bike, my kit bag is very well made. It is THE BOMB, for winter camping and hunting.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/

SmokeJumper
02-27-2011, 11:37 PM

The designers of the bag are avid mtn bikers, and though I've never tried it on a bike, my kit bag is very well made. It is THE BOMB, for winter camping and hunting.

The kit bag reminds me of the Kifaru Koala, same principle, similar design. The kit bag is not as thick/bulky as the Koala.

orionz06
02-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Is there anything that is running or cycling related that places a pouch on the chest?

finnmike
02-28-2011, 01:32 AM
I seldom carry when out in the countryside, where my only threat may be a dog or car; nothing I will carry on a bike will deal with a dog especially if he knocks me off at 20mph or so. A car? It's long gone before I can react. When going through the city I carry a P3AT or 442, but if someone wants my bike I will let them have it to avoid shooting someone. I carry a small fanny pack slung to the back with my cell, some ID and insurance card, money, spare tube and energy gels.
A handgun can be a drag on a 60-mile ride...

SLG
02-28-2011, 01:51 AM
The kit bag reminds me of the Kifaru Koala, same principle, similar design. The kit bag is not as thick/bulky as the Koala.

The kit bag is what the Koala should have been but isn't.

fuse
02-28-2011, 02:56 AM

I can tell this forum is going to be expensive.

turbolag23
02-28-2011, 12:00 PM
its not the ideal setup but when I ride i have a g27 in a don hume IWB inside my camelback.

evanhill
02-28-2011, 12:25 PM
SLG, thanks for the mention.

SmokeJumper -- just to be clear, I'm the originator of the Kifaru Koala. Patrick took the design a different direction with the Koala and it ended up being a good EDC off body carry choice (if there is anything good about off body carry), but not something I'd ever want to wear as a chest rig myself. Since my original design intent was never fulfilled, Kifaru and I parted ways and Hill People Gear is now making the Kit Bag to fulfill the original intent. I get royalties on the Koala, and Patrick gets royalties on the Kit Bag for a couple of features that were added by his shop.

As to the original question -- I'm not sure that I'd consider the Kit Bag low profile if I was dressed up like a roadie, but then again I never dress like a roadie. You'll have to evaluate whether or not it is low profile enough for your uses and method of dress. I think it would be just fine if you dressed more like someone on a cross country bicycle tour than someone on the Tour de France. Mechanically, it does work well for biking in, and running is OK as well. One customer has come up with a simple modification that helps him use it for running, and we're working on producing a nicer version of that adapter for sale.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/SmithCart/Images/HillPeopleGearKitBagCoyote%20009.JPG

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/SmithCart/Thumbnails/HillPeopleGearKitBagCoyote%20011.JPG

mountaineer
02-28-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't own one of these, but they look like something to try:

http://womensholster.blogspot.com/

It's an open carry belly band. It looks like it work really for running also.

Actually, I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried one.

orionz06
02-28-2011, 01:02 PM
As a side question, I think I finally decided to have something made to go between two shoulder straps of a backpack.

I intend to make it hold a light of some sort in the front, my cell phone, and wallet. Is there anything else I could add or change to get the mass I need to better hide the important contents (firearm)? I hope to add padding as well, just need to find a nylon company willing and get moving.

SmokeJumper
02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
The kit bag is what the Koala should have been but isn't.

And I see it's a bit cheaper in price. I think the slimmer less bulky design would make the Kit Bag carry better. I'm sure it would work fine attached to a Kifaru pack or a Camelbak while riding on two wheels. I'm pondering it for a runners pack, but the up/down bounce may cause some discomfort.

Edit: Just saw the running video with and without pack attachment..............Looking good, as someone mentioned earlier, this new forum is gonna be expensive!

JonInWA
03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
For years I've used The Wilderness' Safepacker when biking and/or hiking, mounted on one of their backing attachments (which in effect makes it a fanny pack-I've used both the plain "Packer Backer" or the one with the dual water bottle sleeves. The Safepacker is durable, low profile, and quite secure, and reasonably accessible-and fairly reasonably priced. See www.thewilderness.com. They come in a variety of graduated sizings.

Best, Jon

SmokeJumper
03-02-2011, 05:04 PM
SLG, thanks for the mention.

SmokeJumper -- just to be clear, I'm the originator of the Kifaru Koala. Patrick took the design a different direction with the Koala and it ended up being a good EDC off body carry choice (if there is anything good about off body carry), but not something I'd ever want to wear as a chest rig myself. Since my original design intent was never fulfilled, Kifaru and I parted ways and Hill People Gear is now making the Kit Bag to fulfill the original intent. I get royalties on the Koala, and Patrick gets royalties on the Kit Bag for a couple of features that were added by his shop.

As to the original question -- I'm not sure that I'd consider the Kit Bag low profile if I was dressed up like a roadie, but then again I never dress like a roadie. You'll have to evaluate whether or not it is low profile enough for your uses and method of dress. I think it would be just fine if you dressed more like someone on a cross country bicycle tour than someone on the Tour de France. Mechanically, it does work well for biking in, and running is OK as well. One customer has come up with a simple modification that helps him use it for running, and we're working on producing a nicer version of that adapter for sale.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/SmithCart/Images/HillPeopleGearKitBagCoyote%20009.JPG

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/SmithCart/Thumbnails/HillPeopleGearKitBagCoyote%20011.JPG

Evan- I kept tabs over at Kifaru on the Koala and saw/read the T&E phase info and spoke with Mel a few times about your design and input, good job by all. I have a Koala, it is an EDC bag with an Organizer attached to the front, good/small bag for in/out of vehicles and office.
But I want to purchase the Kit Bag for another role, primarily a running or biking rig. Does it have a holster included or can one add a holster with velcro, kinda like the Koala gun compartment interior?

evanhill
03-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Just didn't want any misunderstandings on the Kifaru thing... and I rarely know who has heard what. Thanks for your Koala purchase!

I'm not at all a fan of the velcro panel. It adds weight, adds heat, and impedes the draw stroke quite a bit. That being said, I've had lots of pundits (who haven't used the Kit Bag) say that it needs the velcro panel. I'm waiting for more folks to get their hands on them and form experienced opinions before reconsidering this feature. If we do end up adding the velcro panel at some point, I'll be treasuring my non-velcro version.

MTechnik
03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Some makers will consider some small-run pieces if they think they can maybe expand it later into more sales. I know EMDOM has worked with MilitaryMoron for some designs. And I think someone from m4c had a custom magazine carrier made by another smaller but good manufacturer.

Can't hurt to send a couple of emails.

orionz06
03-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Some makers will consider some small-run pieces if they think they can maybe expand it later into more sales. I know EMDOM has worked with MilitaryMoron for some designs. And I think someone from m4c had a custom magazine carrier made by another smaller but good manufacturer.

Can't hurt to send a couple of emails.

I am working on something at the moment, essentially a panel that would attach to the shoulder straps of an existing pack. I am stuck trying to see what I can do to mask a gun, but I think a phone and clip on safety light might be enough to kill the shape and seem like something that is a "real" cycling product.

MTechnik
03-02-2011, 11:35 PM
I am working on something at the moment, essentially a panel that would attach to the shoulder straps of an existing pack. I am stuck trying to see what I can do to mask a gun, but I think a phone and clip on safety light might be enough to kill the shape and seem like something that is a "real" cycling product.

a thin layer of kydex in the middle, with fabric sewn to each side will be rigid enough to hide a lot... the emdom carbine GYM bag (http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/packs4.html) has some soft foam in the walls so that things like forward assists don't look obvious poking out. Maybe they can make something with similar construction.

orionz06
03-02-2011, 11:37 PM
a thin layer of kydex in the middle, with fabric sewn to each side will be rigid enough to hide a lot... the emdom carbine GYM bag has some soft foam in the walls so that things like forward assists don't look obvious poking out.

That is what I am thinking. I would press the insert to hold the gun still.

The way I am seeing it now is that the phone and a fake wallet could take up the rest of the space to make it look less obvious.

LittleLebowski
03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I commute daily on a bicycle so I am watching this thread with extreme interest.

Jay Cunningham
03-03-2011, 09:41 AM
I discovered completely by accident that that a DeSantis Gunny SackŪ Jr will hold a DeSantis Nemesis allowing you to swap from pocket to fanny pack. I use a Ruger LCR in this application.

idiq
03-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Glad I saw this...

If I'm running errands, doing courier work, etc., I carry a G26 IWB (Comp-Tac) on the backside of my hip. Doesn't get in the way when pedaling or such and is pretty unnoticeable. In the summer, it's a little riske' depending on how big the shirt that I'm wearing is.

My friend carries the Ruger LCP, on the front tucked behind his belt. I don't like this because it bothers me when I'm pedaling.

When I'm in a kit (spandex) I haven't actually found a good way to carry. Depending on your state and legislation, I suspect the best would be to use a standard frame pack that sits between the top tube and seat tube (forms a triangle). That is a pretty standard piece of gear for cyclists to put spare tubes, tires, levers, etc, so it doesn't draw attention that I'd be carrying in there.

peterb
03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Hmmmm..... For something in the LCP class, wondering if you could modify the pockets on the back of a cycling jersey to hide the shape, or use some sort of insert...

A hydration pack pocket wouldn't be obvious. The Camelbak Urban Assault has a handgun compartment but it's a big pack.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/01/24/camelbak-gives-the-urban-assault-some-teeth-with-the-ua-concealed/

idiq
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Hmmmm..... For something in the LCP class, wondering if you could modify the pockets on the back of a cycling jersey to hide the shape, or use some sort of insert...

A hydration pack pocket wouldn't be obvious. The Camelbak Urban Assault has a handgun compartment but it's a big pack.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/01/24/camelbak-gives-the-urban-assault-some-teeth-with-the-ua-concealed/

Perhaps finding a sleeve for eyeglasses that is big enough? Only problem with concealing to be "less obvious" is that if you did need to draw it out of your back, with this method you'd probably end up having to take both hands off the bars to get it out...

You MIGHT be able to take a square of Tyvek and turn it into a custom-sized pocket similar in design to an eyeglass sleeve but with less "pressure" so it's "looser", then sew that into your jersey pocket.

GLOCKMASTER
03-03-2011, 07:17 PM
This might be an option for you cyclists.

I have the Shoulder Gun Sling Pouch (http://usgruntgear.com/shgunslpo.html) made by US Grunt Gear (http://usgruntgear.com/shgunslpo.html). I use it when hiking and other things where weapon visibility might be an issue. So far I have found it to be well made and very comfortable to wear.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-56964275823143_2143_116840034

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-56964275823143_2143_117042476

MD7305
03-03-2011, 10:03 PM
I use a pocket style holster with a paracord lanyard tied to the corner of the hoslter and secured to the inside of my CamelBak Mule. The Mule has two or three different zippered pockets and I stow my 229R and my credentials alone in the middle sized pocket. If I need to access my handgun it slides out of the hoslter as I remove it and the holster remains attached to the Mule. The pocket holster just gives me some peace of mind that nothings gonna sneak into the trigger guard. I'd like it get one of those trigger guard kydex covers that RCS makes.

This is not really a "speed" setup but I'm armed atleast. The Mule is kinda big but I ride mountain bike only so it works for me.

turbolag23
03-04-2011, 08:46 AM
This is not really a "speed" setup but I'm armed atleast. The Mule is kinda big but I ride mountain bike only so it works for me.

i only ride my mountain bike on trails and use the Mule as well. gets kind of heavy with 3L of water, a hand gun, and some minor repair tools.

DocGKR
03-13-2011, 10:51 PM
When commuting on my bike each day--just normal carry mode.

When mountain biking--much like doughnut noted with a pistol in a holster inside a Camelback.

When road riding, a lightweight J-frame tucked in a rear jersey pocket works with the right pocket holster (to disguise the shape, a thin rectangular piece of plastic can be attached to the outside of the holster).