PDA

View Full Version : Modifying HD front sights

GJM
03-06-2015, 10:06 PM
My P2000 9 and USP C .40 shoot low at 25 yards with HD sights. YVK has the same problem at 25 with his SK. Like the sights but not their POI.

Thoughts on asking the 1911 shop to trim the front sight height? It would shrink the material above the dot, and necessitate cold bluing, but any other considerations?

5pins
03-07-2015, 10:33 AM
How low? Go here (http://www.jackweigand.com/Point%20Of%20Impact%20Adjustment%20Formula.html) and find out how much will need to be removed. Your dots will not ling up but that may or may not be an issue for you. Cold blue doesn’t wear very well, 44/40 cold blue works the best IMHO.

LOKNLOD
03-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Your dots will not ling up but that may or may not be an issue for you.

I would think that would be the worst part - although with the more subdued rear dots on HDs, it might only be an issue in low light - and making 25 yard shots with tritium only in the dark may not be high on your list of priorities comparitively.

Would it cause you to shoot high at other distances?

GJM
03-07-2015, 11:07 AM
I don't line up the dots, but how would removing material above the front dot change the orientation of the dots? Only time I notice dots on a rear sight is in the dark (when they are tritium).

I have the formula, but would settle for less than the calculated amount, if it got my POI close.

The cold blue being less durable is a negative.

LOKNLOD
03-07-2015, 11:13 AM
I don't line up the dots, but how would removing material above the front dot change the orientation of the dots? Only time I notice dots on a rear sight is in the dark (when they are tritium).

I have the formula, but would settle for less than the calculated amount, if it got my POI close.

The cold blue being less durable is a negative.

If the dots line up when the top edges line up in factory configuration, and you remove material from the top of the front sight, then when the top edges are lined up the front dot will be elevated relative to the rear dots. Right? I agree if you're not using the dots much it may be a non-issue for you.

PPGMD
03-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Have you called Trijicon, they often have different front sight heights to deal with different POIs on guns.