PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9

KevH
08-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Is anyone running a Ruger LC9 as a BUG?

I've carried a S&W 442 for the past five years or so in that role and carried a Glock 27 before that (too large for where I carried it). I have a new assignment that is leaving me drenched in sweat and my 442 is now experiencing some major rust issues. I need another BUG to carry while I get it refinished and at first was pondering a 642, but am now looking at the LC9.

Any thoughts?

KeeFus
08-14-2011, 06:44 PM
I have an LC9 and have carried it a few times, loaded with standard psi 124 gr Gold Dot's. Trying to find a spare mag or a good holster is a be-atch! I had a local guy make me a kydex holster for OWB carry. I definetly need an IWB...it's slim enough to be easily concealed in the waistband. Trigger takes some getting used too and I hate mag disconnects, which Ruger LC9's come stock with. Mine is plenty accurate out to 20 yards for body shots. I can put all shots in the head scoring zone on an IDPA target from 10 yards.

TGS
08-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think there's a soul here that would recommend a Ruger LC9 over a Walther PPS or Kahr 9mm.

If you're still interested in the revolver route, I would 100% go with the Ruger LCR over the S&W. The trigger is better, and I've found the LCR to be outright pleasant to shoot compared to the 642 in the recoil department.

Simon
08-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I have a LC9 and find it easy to conceal. I don't reccomend it over anything because it have no experience with any other modern small pistol. I do find that it is easier to shoot than The Walther PPK and PP pistols. I also find that I like it better than asmall revolver. I have shoot groups as small as 5 " at 25 yrds, but 8" is more standard (2 hands standing). When I carry it now it is in my right rear pocker, but I do have an IWB holster on order from Don Hume learher, the only one I could find. I haven't used Don Hume leather in years, but when I did use it 30 yrs ago it was very good , we will see how good it is now.

KeeFus
08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
I bought the LC9 for my wife and she doesn't like it. The LC9 has some detractors (mag disconnect, long trigger pull, disassembly, comes from factory with only 1 magazine) and finding a holster at the moment is hard. Also, for me, a BUG need not have safeties and needs to be point & shoot. LC9 has a manual safety and that dreaded mag disconnect which takes it out of the BUG capacity for me. Let's be honest, if you need the BUG the poo has obviously hit the fan and your attacker is already on top of you. You do not need to worry about mag disconnects or a manual safety @ that point.

If your primary has already gone South, you can't beat a revolver as a BUG. That's why my BUG is a 442. It goes BANG! everytime I pull the trigger, and I've carried it for at least 10 years...no issues. Bought it used @ a local gun shop because I knew it was gonna take a beating.

I know folks that have the LCR and love it. I like the LC9 just fine (look, I made a rhyme! :p), but it has its detractors.

Jason
08-16-2011, 08:01 AM
I think deep down, you already know the answer: Kahr PM9 or a S&W 642.

JAD
08-16-2011, 08:32 AM
I would get your current 442 NP3d. Stick with your blister -- the np3 will sex it up enough. I have a pleasant PM9 but I've talked to folks who have struggled with them.

Personally, I'm on the lookout for a Colt Cobra to backup my lightweight Commander. That's right: Cobra / Commander.

Jon
Shenzhen

Chuck Haggard
08-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Funny, I had a Cobra that was my first BUG years ago, great little gun. Sold it to a guy who really wanted it, and one reason why is that finding support and parts for that gun nowadays is difficult. Everybody who can work Colt revolvers is dieing off.

As to the LC9, it is a smoother, nicer looking Kel Tec PF9 with added "safety" features. I had one, didn't like it, traded the gun off after about a week. If I wanted one of those guns I'd just go with the PF9. Seriously.

Abraxas
08-16-2011, 08:50 PM
My thoughts are for you to get a Walther PPS.

P30shtr
08-17-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't think there's a soul here that would recommend a Ruger LC9 over a Walther PPS or Kahr 9mm.

If you're still interested in the revolver route, I would 100% go with the Ruger LCR over the S&W. The trigger is better, and I've found the LCR to be outright pleasant to shoot compared to the 642 in the recoil department.

link from pistol-training concerning LC9 http://pistol-training.com/archives/4105

H&K P2ksk v2 9mm, Kahr K9, S&W 340pd. In that order. Or this from Smith, http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766337_-1_757778_757776_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

8 rnds of .357 sounds alot better than 5 for not much more $$ Although shrouded hammer on the 340 (11.4oz) and less than a third the weight of the 627 (37.6oz)

Got your Kahr in there TGS

mlk18
09-17-2011, 06:13 PM
I would quickly recommend an LC9 over a Kahr or a Walther. My LC9 has 750+ rounds through it without a single issue; it shoots well, carry's like a dream and is very well made. It has replaced my 642 as my BUG and I couldn't be happier. I still love my 642 but I wanted something I could reload quickly.

I have owned 2 Kahrs and both of them were traded off within a few months. Both were reliable but the trigger was like flicking a circuit breaker switch. They also had a very short trigger reach that seemed to be made exclusively for people with very small hands. I have no experience with the Walther PPS, I just know that it costs almost twice as much as my LC9 and does not seem to offer anything for the extra $300. I don't doubt it is a high quality gun.

Don't be afraid to look at the Ruger LC9, it's a very good gun for a good price.

TNWNGR
09-18-2011, 09:15 AM
I’ve put quite a few round’s through a 2nd generation K-T PF9 and 2nd generation Lc9, both work reliably but the PF9’s smallish trigger guard wrecks havoc on my index finger when shooting it. The Lc9 in comparison is completely different to the point of being much more comfortable to shoot. I’ve run S&W an S&W M-60 and M-37 in the past either on my ankle or belt but have decided I like the flat/slim frame &slide of a single column pistol more for extended carry. For the money I’m entirely pleased with the Lc9, it is far more reliable than the PPk/s I once carried and fit’s my hand nicely.

M_E_
09-19-2011, 09:53 AM
I have around 3K rounds of all weights & pressures through my 9MM PPS. I did install the factory night sights on the pistol. Also added a BT stainless guide rod. I just don't trust the way Walther designed & made their plastic guide rods. Well, it's fast & cheap. Never a problem with anything EXCEPT on some 147gr Hornady, XTPs. I had hand loaded them too long to function reliably in the pistol. Set them back .030 and that fixed the feed issues. NEVER an issue with ANY factory loads.

Great pistol, easy to carry & shoot. I have MANY holsters for all types of clothing for CCW. The best ones I have found are by High Noon Holsters. Hard to beat.

Have considered getting a LC9 or 2 just to keep in the car & truck. If I walk out without grabbing a pistol, I still have one with me. I need to shoot one to try it out. A client of mine runs an indoor shooting range. Have to try one out...

jmjames
12-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Looking for information on the LC9's. Tonight I took my wife shopping for a primary carry gun for her. I initially pointed her to the P2000SK. She wasn't enthralled with them, but she really doesn't know what to look for. Next she looked at an M&P 9C. Again, she liked it but wasn't thrilled. Next was the LC9, the clerk's idea, not mine. Of course, she loved it, but I harbored doubts (skipped the Kahr's because she wants manual safety for peace of mind). Then I came home, found this thread, and I'm glad my initial thoughts were right on. I think after some discussion that the P2000SK is right for her (she likes the idea of manual safety and DA/SA to give her carry options). As long as I get it Duracoated pink for her...

J.Ja

Edit: Just discovered that the P2000SK can't be had with a manual safety, it seems like. Hmm.

VolGrad
12-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Ive had a lc9 for a little while now. Ive put approx 400 or so flawless rounds down range. It's not ideal but I do like it a good bit. It's quite accurate for me and runs. That's all good stuff. I'm on my phone for another couple days so will type more later. I do have a running impression thread on another forum if you care to google it.

jmjames
01-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Unless the clerk at one of the local ranges was wrong (I think he may be, when I asked what rentals they had in 9mm he took a long time figuring it out...), it looks like we'll be able to rent an LC9 and check it out. She'll also get to shoot my P30 too... hopefully she won't like the P30 *that* much. :D

J.Ja

JodyH
01-01-2012, 10:25 AM
I was hoping the LC9 was just a LCP all grown up.
Just a simple, slick sided single stack.
But for some reason Ruger had to throw in every button, lever and "safety" device they could think of.

jmjames
01-01-2012, 11:25 AM
But for some reason Ruger had to throw in every button, lever and "safety" device they could think of.

My suspicion... based on nothing other than gun shopping with my wife... is that Ruger decided that the big market for the LC9 is people like my wife who really want a zillion safeties, loaded chamber indicators, etc. than the folks on this board who feel comfortable with a long/stuff DA pull and common sense as the safety. My wife just absolutely digs the LC9 for its size and "safety features", even though I realize that between the size of the safety (really easy to miss that tiny lever that needs the knuckle to hit it or a goofy grip) and her lack of practice (I know she'll get to the range a few times a year at best), if she were to ever use it, she'd be the person pulling the trigger with the safety on and wondering why nothing was happening. They are "features" for the gun shop person to mention. I know with my first pistol (the XD), the gun shop had me well convinced that things like the loaded chamber indicator, striker cocked indicator, and grip safety were all going to make a world of difference, when they really don't.

J.Ja

JodyH
01-01-2012, 11:44 AM
My wife took a couple of training classes and has no interest in "safeties".
Safeties are a false sense of security for unsafe people (not willfully unsafe, just ignorantly unsafe) in my experience.
Before the experienced shooters on here drop the hammer on me, I'm saying this in reference to inexperienced shooters who have very little or no training.
You can't buy safe gunhandling by choosing a thumb safety, loaded chamber flag, ,magazine disconnect, billboard warning label anymore than you can buy shooting skill with new sights or a 3# polished trigger.
I have to catch and correct this in CCW classes all the time.
The people who tell me they bought a gun for all of its safety features are usually the worst safety rule offenders because they are relying on a hardware solution to what is a software problem.

If your wife is making her decision based on experience and knowledge, that's cool.
If she's buying a safety loaded pistol because all that stuff makes it "safe", then maybe some training is in order before she makes a decision.

Ray Keith
01-01-2012, 11:50 AM
If your wife is making her decision based on experience and knowledge, that's cool.
If she's buying a safety loaded pistol because all that stuff makes it "safe", then maybe some training is in order before she makes a decision.

+1 to this. The money spent on training will save money on a bad pistol purchase later and she would at least have some point of reference to make a decision.

jmjames
01-01-2012, 11:53 AM
My wife took a couple of training classes and has no interest in "safeties".
Safeties are a false sense of security for unsafe people (not willfully unsafe, just ignorantly unsafe) in my experience.
Before the experienced shooters on here drop the hammer on me, I'm saying this in reference to inexperienced shooters who have very little or no training.
You can't buy safe gunhandling by choosing a thumb safety, loaded chamber flag, ,magazine disconnect, billboard warning label anymore than you can buy shooting skill with new sights or a 3# polished trigger.
I have to catch and correct this in CCW classes all the time.
The people who tell me they bought a gun for all of its safety features are usually the worst safety rule offenders because they are relying on a hardware solution to what is a software problem.

Oh... I *completely* agree. It's why we're not making a purchasing decision yet. She's very new to this, she's taking her CWP class in a week, but it takes 2 - 3 months to get the paperwork in. During that time, she'll hopefully get the additional experience and knowledge to learn what she needs to know to make a good decision.

Right now, I've been taking her around to a lot of stores and ranges to handle different pistols to have her get an idea of what actually works for her, what the choices and options are, etc. Otherwise I would have already bought her the pink Taurus or Kel-Tec she saw one day and thought was "cute" and let it be... :)

J.Ja

JodyH
01-01-2012, 12:18 PM
The first thing that should be emphasized to her is that there are a LOT of dumbasses working behind gun store counters.
The majority are NOT experts.
They are salesmen, usually one or two rungs below the ethical standards of "buy here pay here" used car salesmen.

jmjames
01-01-2012, 12:51 PM
The first thing that should be emphasized to her is that there are a LOT of dumbasses working behind gun store counters.
The majority are NOT experts.
They are salesmen, usually one or two rungs below the ethical standards of "buy here pay here" used car salesmen.

Thankfully, I learned that lesson, and I've been going with her to bring a little bit of reality to it. If it were up to me, the P30, P2000SK, and maybe the PPQ would probably be at the top of the list, but I think that she sees them as being too large. The LC9 does actually meets all of her needs from what I can tell, it's just a shame that, as you say, it's overly complicated; a slick sides version with a DAO trigger (like a really small Kahr) would be just right, but the small Kahrs seem to be .380. :(

EDIT: I just discovered that there *is* a super-tiny Kahr 9mm, it's just that I was confused by their site and didn't see the CM9 at the bottom of their list.

I really wish there was a site out there that let you check off the things you are looking for, and show you what firearms fit that set of criteria. That would make it a lot easier to make these kinds of decisions, especially since most manufacturer's Web sites are so bad, you can't tell the difference between models. Glock is the only one who gets it mostly right.

J.Ja

VolGrad
01-01-2012, 04:32 PM

I completely agree with this statement. I had hoped the only real change in the overall gun (other than caliber) was a decent set of sights.

bzuber56
01-01-2012, 10:07 PM
You can check this guy out for a IWB holster for your LC9. Good guy to work with

http://theisholsters.com/index.php

JAD
01-01-2012, 11:11 PM
EDIT: I just discovered that there *is* a super-tiny Kahr 9mm, it's just that I was confused by their site and didn't see the CM9 at the bottom of their list.

I have a PM9. It's ok for its limited purpose, but recoil is abrupt. Make sure she shoots the small nines next to the big nines before she goes that way.

My ex was all over j frames until she shot my GP35. I miss that gun.

VolGrad
01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Also check out ...
http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/
... specifically the Southern Sidekick.