PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR 357 as a bug?

breakingtime91
03-05-2015, 12:22 PM
I have been weighing heavily on selling my Ruger LCR 357. It is a good shooter and I enjoy the extra weight to help with recoil but am starting to think it may be to big for ankle or pocket carry. I am really debating moving towards an airweight but I am torn..

anyone have any thought son this?

Hizzie
03-05-2015, 12:27 PM
To big? No real size difference compared to a S&W Airweight. Only a 2oz weight difference too.

breakingtime91
03-05-2015, 12:33 PM
To big? No real size difference compared to a S&W Airweight. Only a 2oz weight difference too.

guess I should do my research better next time.. any recommendations for an ankle holster?

RevolverRob
03-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Well it might actually be a bit bigger in the critical dimension - grip size.

Are you running the Ruger boot grips on it? You might try those. As an alternative to trading it for an Airweight.

-Rob

breakingtime91
03-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Well it might actually be a bit bigger in the critical dimension - grip size.

Are you running the Ruger boot grips on it? You might try those. As an alternative to trading it for an Airweight.

-Rob

I haven't yet, I have been carrying it aiwb. How does it shoot with those boot grips?

Chuck Haggard
03-05-2015, 12:38 PM
For my J frames, and it works for the LCR as well, I used a modified Uncle Mike's ankle rig. I don't use the model made for the snubs, that holster sucks. I use the one for "medium autos", I'll check the size tag to be sure what size, but it's perfect for the snubs with a small mod, which requires minimal sewing.

Tauris Holsters makes a really high quality rig that I have used for heavy BUGs in the past (S&W 6906 in my case), I can recommend those highly.

breakingtime91
03-05-2015, 12:40 PM
For my J frames, and it works for the LCR as well, I used a modified Uncle Mike's ankle rig. I don't use the model made for the snubs, that holster sucks. I use the one for "medium autos", I'll check the size tag to be sure what size, but it's perfect for the snubs with a small mod, which requires minimal sewing.

Tauris Holsters makes a really high quality rig that I have used for heavy BUGs in the past (S&W 6906 in my case), I can recommend those highly.

chuck could you post some pics of both rigs if you get a chance? In crunch mode for college before spring break and have little time to do my independent research currently

Chuck Haggard
03-05-2015, 12:44 PM
chuck could you post some pics of both rigs if you get a chance? In crunch mode for college before spring break and have little time to do my independent research currently

I can try. The short answer is a bar tack behind where the trigger guard sits in the holster, this adds enough tension that I can take the holster with the J frame in it, thumb break unsnapped, and hold it upside-down and the gun doesn't fall out.

I'll try to get a pic later today.

Jeep
03-05-2015, 01:08 PM
You might want to think about commercializing that rig. I always thought that the gun-falling-out-of-holster thing was the biggest problem with many ankle holsters.

iveschris
03-05-2015, 05:08 PM
If you have't fired an Airweight J frame with carry ammunition, you might seek out a friend who has one or a range that rents them. I don't have an LCR any more, but I shot the one I had better than either of my J frames. My requirements have changed for those smaller guns, so I let the LCR go. I have considered picking up another one, curiously enough the .357 you mention but for .38s. One fear, on a different subject, is that another LCR will be a gateway drug leading to a Match Champion or a Wiley Clapp GP100.

breakingtime91
03-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Chris, I only shoot either standard or +p out of my 357 LCR and it doesn't have a heavy recoil or become uncomfortable. I completely understand the gateway drug reference, I have been eyeing up a wiley clapp gp100 for awhile now..

BehindBlueI's
03-06-2015, 01:26 AM
I have been weighing heavily on selling my Ruger LCR 357. It is a good shooter and I enjoy the extra weight to help with recoil but am starting to think it may be to big for ankle or pocket carry. I am really debating moving towards an airweight but I am torn..

anyone have any thought son this?

It is certainly not too big for ankle carry. I have carried one as a BUG in an ankle holster on duty for roughly 2 years now and it has never been uncomfortable nor really noticeable there.

Pocket carry is more personal depending on how you dress and your build. I do not pocket carry much beyond a wallet and keys comfortably, so I can't really say much on that front.

I have considered picking up another one, curiously enough the .357 you mention but for .38s. One fear, on a different subject, is that another LCR will be a gateway drug leading to a Match Champion or a Wiley Clapp GP100.

I actually own all three of those. It's tough to go wrong with access to a 2", 3", and 4". I started with the Wiley Clapp, added the LCR shortly thereafter, and got a Match Champion a month or so after they were released.