PDA

View Full Version : Price/Quality Check COLT Combat Government Model

Father of 3
03-02-2015, 11:35 AM
I am about to pick one of these up from a guy who is needing some cash but want to make sure that I am not over paying. He says it is a Colt Combat Government Model one of the few made on the series 80 frames, the precursor to the Combat Elite. I do not know how to upload the pics he e-mailed but it is a two tone with Pachmayr grips.

What would be a fair price on this? The guys is asking $800 and I know NOTHING about 1911 values and don't want to overpay, but if it is a good deal then I may bite. It does show some holster wear.

theJanitor
03-02-2015, 11:51 AM
If it's in good shape, I'd pay $800. They make great base guns, although I can't recall a Combat Gov't that was two-tone, aside from the Special Combat Gov't.

WDW
03-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Well, you can get a brand new Combat Elite for around $900, so......

theJanitor
03-02-2015, 11:57 AM
the new one appears to be just a two tone XSE

theJanitor
03-02-2015, 11:57 AM
the new CE appears to be just a two tone XSE

WDW
03-02-2015, 12:03 PM
the new one appears to be just a two tone XSE

Close, but not quite. They feature a Nat'l Match barrel & a very nicely contoured slide. Furthermore, all a combat elite has ever been is a two tone version of the current Gov't Model with a schnazzy rollmark.

theJanitor
03-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Right, there's nothing really special about either. But I prefer the old S.80 guns better, especially for a base gun (which is all I ever see a stock Colt as anyway)

OP, I hope you can get a pic up, as I can't recall a two-tone Combat Gov't. I'm assuming vertical cocking serrations?

WDW
03-02-2015, 12:15 PM
If you do get it, be sure & check it over for home gunsmithing. Used 1911's are unfortunately notorious for that. Sad really. Every time a Bubba takes a dremel to a 1911, a puppy dies.

Father of 3
03-02-2015, 04:21 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/CC49INC/Colt_2_zpsmcddatz6.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/CC49INC/Colt__1_zpsffwygqwp.jpg

farscott
03-02-2015, 05:35 PM
While the slide and sights are from a Combat Government, the frame has me thrown for a loop. It appears to have a nickel (stainless??) finish. The picture makes me think nickel, not stainless, due to the yellow. Every Combat Government I have ever seen has had a blued frame. A Combat Government frame should have a "CG" serial number prefix, as should the successor Combat Elite models. The serial number prefix on the gun in question appears to be "FG", which was a normal Government Model serial number prefix. That being said, this could be a genuine Colt Combat Government because Colt is famous for using every part they have, no matter the specs on the gun. I have my doubts due to the blued parts on the nickel lower, the nickel lower, and the serial number prefix.

Under the Pachmayr grips, the front strap should be serrated. I suspect it is not. If not, the frame is not a Combat Government frame.

theJanitor
03-02-2015, 09:44 PM
I'll echo what farscott says. It doesn't look like any CG I have ever seen. But.....I plugged in the serial number that I think is on the frame (FG31770) and the colt website says that it's a 1984 Model 08111, which is a combat Government.

Father of 3
03-02-2015, 10:05 PM
From what I have gathered from research is that the "FG" prefixed serial numbers were the first Combat Government models produced in 1983 that did not have the firing pin safety. The regular series 80 also came out that year with the firing pin safeties. Also a standard on these first models were serrated front straps but standard Pachmayr grips with the Colt logo on them. The gun in question does have the Colt logo on the grips and also has COLT'S PT. F. A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CONN. USA on the frame.

Colts website states that the date is an approximation. The model 08111 would be correct as they started with SN: FG01000

So does any of this add to or detract from the asking price of $800? Again, I am a 1911 noob.

theJanitor
03-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Personally, I'd still buy it and it won't take much for a smith to make it just right

farscott
03-03-2015, 05:26 AM
I can say that "FG" prefix frames are not all Combat Governments as I used such a pistol as a base gun. It was a normal Government Model. Every Series '80 Combat Government that I have seen had a "CG" prefix. I also own Colt pistols with "FR" prefixes, both of which are "enhanced" models. Colt pretty much stepped through the "Fx" prefixes as needed.

The question of value comes down to being a shooter or a collector. Today, the 1991A1 gun can be purchased NIB for about $715. A new 1991A1 is functionally equivalent to a Combat Government with one exception: the 1991A1 front strap is not serrated. So the question comes down to that difference for a shooter. There are some other minor differences such as wood grips on the 1991A1 and the Pachmayr grips on the Combat Government. The new Colts are much more consistent than the guns made in the 1980s and come with the benefit of a factory warranty.

For a collector, the Combat Government is a plus as it was a short-lived variant that was meant to address some of the customization that was starting to drive 1911 usage. I personally like the "Mark IV Series '80" rollmarks. For $800, I would buy the pistol as the feature set works for me. I would replace the grips so that I could use the serrated front strap. But I cannot recommend "a 1911 noob" buy this gun when the 1991A1 will save almost $100 and be a brand new gun.

Here is a link to another Combat Government with the "FG" serial number prefix, complete with pictures: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=478954&highlight=combat+government So the "FG prefix is confirmed and the pistol appears to be legit.

Rich
03-07-2015, 08:23 PM
One of the best pistols that I've had.

I think I bought mine in 1989. For 900 bucks. It was Colts first run / Gen1.

Not much to say about it other than it was accurate and reliable just like my HK P30S 9mm or 98 Sig P229 40S&W

It fed all the popular JHP plus loved lead SWC.