PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Sig 226 w an RDS milled in?

Lon
08-13-2011, 11:02 AM
If so, do you have pics and who did the work?

DocGKR
08-13-2011, 11:28 AM
So far, I have never seen a P226 with an RDS.

Lon
08-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Me either. I know you couldn't do it on the old ones since the top of the slide is really thin, but I think it could be done on the newer ones.

Odin Bravo One
08-13-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a project in the works that includes welding a comp to the standard slide, machining slide cuts into the front of the comp, adding a 5" barrel, and machining the slide to accept a MRDS.

Those doing the work are best not named in public, but if it turns out and is workable, I can ask if they would be willing to perform similar on the side. Problem is that I won't see it for sometime as work has me away for a little while. Seems to be a high demand market currently. Wish I was not a salary employee and could collect O/T.

When talking to the usual suspects in the MRDS machining world, their hang up with doing a Sig 226 is the lack of material to work with before you get into the critical components of the pistol. They are very near the top of the slide.

Rex G
08-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I looked into having a P229 slide milled for an RDS, and discovered the same thing mentioned by Sean M, that SIGs have
some very important bits located in the logical area to be milled for an RDS. Some SIGs have been milled for an RDS, but usually by eliminating one part that has an effect on safety while carrying, therefore rendering these as competition-only
pistols. I dropped the idea, at least for my duty/carry SIGs, especially as I am in the twilight of my policin' career,
unwilling to switch duty pistol platforms again*, and am leaning back toward revolvers for most concealed carry.

*Optics are not allowed on our handguns and shotguns, anyway. I had thought about having a handgun built, that would
live in a "war" bag, to only be deployed during situations in which winning the fight would trump following rules. Instead, I will probably be rebellious by having a Badger Ordnance rail affixed to one of my 870 pump guns. (We buy our duty
weapons, within guidelines.)