PDA

View Full Version : 9mm BHP Magazines

ToddG
03-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Has anyone tried the Mec-Gar 15rd magazines for the Browning Hi-Power?

Relevant gun has mag safety removed so no concern about mouse catch spring/ejection issue.

Edwin
03-01-2015, 04:14 AM
I use them for USPSA and IDPA for over a year now with no issues to report. If you want to use the Pearce +2 grip extensions, you need to swap the springs for either a Browning spring or a Wolff spring as the dimensions of the Mecgar springs is different.

Brian T
03-01-2015, 04:35 AM
I had problems with 3 of the MecGar 15rd "extended capacity" BHP magazines several years ago. The follower kept tilting to the left and binding up the magazine. I did not have the problem with the 13rd mags from MecGar. I havent heard of anybody else having the same problems though.

BLR
03-01-2015, 07:35 AM
The follower/spring mods needed to squeeze in the extra 2 rounds are not doing you any favors.

I won't carry anything other than 13 rounders.

threedogdad
03-01-2015, 10:23 AM
I have several I've used for years, but only at the range. The tilting follower does not inspire confidence.

WilsonCombatRep
03-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Has anyone tried the Mec-Gar 15rd magazines for the Browning Hi-Power?

Relevant gun has mag safety removed so no concern about mouse catch spring/ejection issue.

13rd only. I have seen some issues with the 15rd mags usually not locking back or locking back with a round in the mag.

threedogdad
03-01-2015, 07:07 PM
This is what I get periodically with the 15 round mags:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/threedogdad/Mobile%20Uploads/20150301_165858_zpscvktfvd8.jpg (http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/threedogdad/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150301_165858_zpscvktfvd8.jpg.html)

Drifting Fate
03-01-2015, 08:25 PM
While my P35 is retired, I would use the MecGars for practice, but forgo the two extra rounds and use the factory for carry, just because I felt they were more reliable.

WilsonCombatRep
03-01-2015, 08:33 PM
While my P35 is retired, I would use the MecGars for practice, but forgo the two extra rounds and use the factory for carry, just because I felt they were more reliable.

Whether you fully load them or not matters none.

Jeep
03-01-2015, 09:27 PM
I agree with the others. The 15 rounders can have problems. Go with the 13 round Mec Gars.

Trooper224
03-01-2015, 10:15 PM
I had seven or eight of those I used while carrying the HP and never had a problem with them. I did subject them to some rather vigorous training exercises that involved shooting from odd positions and never experienced a malfunction. However, I do seem to be in the minority with those results. Probably best to stick with the thirteeners.

ToddG
03-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks very much, gents. Wife needs a larger supply of mags now that she's practicing more. I'll stick with the 13's.

Man, this forum is awesome! :cool:

Haraise
03-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Whether you fully load them or not matters none.

If you're carrying with 13s and practicing with 15s, downloading to 13 matters for training like you'd use it...

HCM
03-01-2015, 11:05 PM
"That gun takes a 14 shot clip. You expecting an army?"

"No, just a division."

WilsonCombatRep
03-02-2015, 06:11 AM
If you're carrying with 13s and practicing with 15s, downloading to 13 matters for training like you'd use it...

I was talking about reliability.

Edwin
03-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Only time I've seen the 15 rounders nose dive or coil bind is when they were dirty. I field stripped them, cleaned them with CLP and then used a dry lube like graphite and it's been working for me (3 matches a week and practice).

JonInWA
03-02-2015, 04:17 PM
While MecGar has been an OEM for FN Hi Powers, there are at least three differences between the ones provided to FN/Browning and the ones commercially available: First, the followers are different. I believe that the commercial ones had "two leg" followers, which are less stable than the FN/Browning "4 leg" followers.

Second, the MecGar commercial magazines (at least those for the .40 Hi Powers) lack the "mousetrap" kicker spring that significantly expedites magazine ejection from the receiver;

Third, I believe the only finish MecGar has used on their commercial Hi Power magazines is a glossy blue-black-nicely applied, and durable, but inferior to the teflon-based/NP3 (or NP3-like) finish used on the OEM .40 magazines. I only have one of the commercial magazines, and I only use it as a last-resort range magazine; I vaguely recall that there was an operational issue of some sort with it the last time I used it, but it was several years ago and I forget the exact nature of it.

I'd personally recommend only FN/Browning magazines. The last time I checked, they were considerably less expensive if you order from FN USA than from Browning-check both sites before ordering is my recommendation.

And a key caveat: All of my experience is with the .40 Hi Powers/magazines.

Best, Jon

1slow
03-02-2015, 06:20 PM
"That gun takes a 14 shot clip. You expecting an army?"

"No, just a division."

From "Serpico."

HCM
03-02-2015, 07:40 PM
From "Serpico."

I knew I wasn't the only one on here old enough to remember cervical buying his high-power. It is interesting though how 13 or 14 rounds has gone from crazy high-capacity to medium /low capacity.

JSGlock34
03-02-2015, 09:20 PM
I knew I wasn't the only one on here old enough to remember cervical buying his high-power. It is interesting though how 13 or 14 rounds has gone from crazy high-capacity to medium /low capacity.

Autocorrect strikes again!

H&KFanNC
03-03-2015, 08:25 AM
I haven't had issues with my 15rds mags but the info related gives me cause to cease using them in my CCW.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

1slow
03-03-2015, 12:52 PM
At one time I had several 20 round FN Hi-Power 9mm mags. They seemed to work well but were not shot a huge amount.

lightning fast
03-03-2015, 01:03 PM
I haven't had issues with my 15rds mags but the info related gives me cause to cease using them in my CCW.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
So they work, but you're not going to use them? Why?

JonInWA
03-03-2015, 04:24 PM
While MecGar has been an OEM for FN Hi Powers, there are at least three differences between the ones provided to FN/Browning and the ones commercially available: First, the followers are different. I believe that the commercial ones had "two leg" followers, which are less stable than the FN/Browning "4 leg" followers.

Second, the MecGar commercial magazines (at least those for the .40 Hi Powers) lack the "mousetrap" kicker spring that significantly expedites magazine ejection from the receiver;

Third, I believe the only finish MecGar has used on their commercial Hi Power magazines is a glossy blue-black-nicely applied, and durable, but inferior to the teflon-based/NP3 (or NP3-like) finish used on the OEM .40 magazines. I only have one of the commercial magazines, and I only use it as a last-resort range magazine; I vaguely recall that there was an operational issue of some sort with it the last time I used it, but it was several years ago and I forget the exact nature of it.

I'd personally recommend only FN/Browning magazines. The last time I checked, they were considerably less expensive if you order from FN USA than from Browning-check both sites before ordering is my recommendation.

And a key caveat: All of my experience is with the .40 Hi Powers/magazines.

Best, Jon

And further, it looks like the MecGar 9mm 15 rounders achieve the extra round capability over their 13 round bretheren by removing the follower stabilazing legs, which is probably why the 15 rd magazines are subject at least potentially to some operational issues as depicted earlier in the thread.

Best, Jon

ToddG
03-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Only time I've seen the 15 rounders nose dive or coil bind is when they were dirty.

So for me, that will be always. :cool:

Non issue. Gun has had the mag disconnect removed.

Thanks!

H&KFanNC
03-03-2015, 05:26 PM
So they work, but you're not going to use them? Why?

I consider the anecdotal information mentioned here as reason enough. Why take the chance that when I need the magazine, it fails. I have enough 10rd mags to use for CCW and keep the 15rds for range use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trav
08-28-2019, 05:18 AM
Resurrecting an old thread to see if there's any new info. I'm struggling to see the need to pay 2-2.5x for a Browning mag.

Question: If the mag safety has been removed, are the Mec-Gars drop free?

JSGlock34
08-28-2019, 05:31 AM
Question: If the mag safety has been removed, are the Mec-Gars drop free?

Yes. When I had a Hi-Power with the magazine safety removed and used Mec-Gar magazines, they dropped free.

fatdog
08-28-2019, 07:18 AM
Been using the Mecgar HP mags for at least 15+ years, never an issue, and I have confidence in the 15 rounders, at least in my guns. I don't keep the mag safety in any of my guns and the Mecgars drop free easily. I am not impressed with the factory mags at all.

JonInWA
08-28-2019, 07:27 AM
Been using the Mecgar HP mags for at least 15+ years, never an issue, and I have confidence in the 15 rounders, at least in my guns. I don't keep the mag safety in any of my guns and the Mecgars drop free easily. I am not impressed with the factory mags at all.

For the .40 High Powers, MecGar was the OEM manufacturer for the magazines for FN/Browning.

Best, Jon

MattyD380
08-28-2019, 11:16 PM
Both of my Mec-Gar 15-rounders lock the slide back with 1 round left in the mag... pretty consistently. It's only the last round--never has an issue with the preceding 14.

I have a 13-rounder with a matte posphate/parkerized sorta finish (marked: "Italy Cal 9mm NATO/Luger") which runs perfectly. I also notice that the 15-rounders exhibit more of a "ker-chunk" when feeding--like the rounds are nosediving slightly. Never a misfeed, but, it's safe to say I trust that 13 rounder more than the 15-rounders. As mentioned, it seems like the follower design is less stable in the 15ers. I've been doing steel matches with the 15-rnd Mecs, and they're fine for that... just have an extra round in the mag when I reload.

I have another unmarked 13 rounder (with a black finish) that locks the slide back on just about every round. Different follower, different look, etc. It sucks. Big time.

Any guesses as to the make/identity of the "good" 13-round mag? I suppose it's also probably a Mec-Gar, since it says "Italy." But who knows.

That Guy
08-29-2019, 07:38 AM
Both of my Mec-Gar 15-rounders lock the slide back with 1 round left in the mag... pretty consistently. It's only the last round--never has an issue with the preceding 14.

Interesting. Never seen or heard of that happening before. Does that happen with one particular gun, or in several guns with the same magazines? Have you tried other 15 rounders in that particular pistol?

MattyD380
08-29-2019, 08:22 AM
I haven’t tried them in any other hi powers—this one (mkiii) is my one and only. And I haven’t tried any other mags in my gun aside from ones I’ve described. I bought it used, and it came with that quartet of random mags. Could be something with my particular gun? I will say I did try a C&c extended slide stop and it made no difference.

That Guy
08-30-2019, 05:46 AM
Could be something with my particular gun?

Or those two magazines. There is of course an easy way to test it - get another magazine. :) That is, of course, assuming you are interested in testing this.

MattyD380
08-30-2019, 01:15 PM
Or those two magazines. There is of course an easy way to test it - get another magazine. :) That is, of course, assuming you are interested in testing this.

Yeah, exactly. Just hasn't been a pressing need at this point. I honestly think I'll just stick with the 13-round design, as opposed to rolling the dice on another 15 rounder.