PDA

View Full Version : STI Duty One 9mm 1911

NorthernHeat
02-28-2015, 04:09 PM
After following Todd's journey with the SACS 9mm 1911s, I have been looking into getting a 9mm 1911 lately.

Anybody have any thoughts about the STI Duty One in 9mm (Full Size)?

This seems like a good contender in the under $1500 range.

Any ideas about other options?

Thanks

jkb4c
02-28-2015, 04:28 PM
I looked at the Duty One before deciding on an STI Lawman in 9x19 about year ago. I wasn't a huge fan of the styling of the Duty One, but apart from that, I think it's a solid choice. STI builds lots of 1911s in calibers other than God's Own (.45), and they seem to have it figured out. Lots of 9x19 and .40 STI 1911s, both single and doublestack, running around my local IDPA club without much complaint.

I think you're going to get a lot of people telling you to wait and get a Colt in 9x19 when they hit the stores later this year, which would also be a good choice.

NorthernHeat
02-28-2015, 04:39 PM
What about the Lawman made you choose it over the Duty One?

I was also looking at the Lawman but kind of liked having the rail as an option if I needed to use it...

jkb4c
02-28-2015, 10:51 PM
What about the Lawman made you choose it over the Duty One?

I was also looking at the Lawman but kind of liked having the rail as an option if I needed to use it...

I bought the Lawman specifically for use only in gun games, mostly IDPA, so a rail wasn't necessary / just limited my holster choice. I also liked the cerakote finish available on the Lawman over bluing. In addition, not as big of a deal, but the Duty One has a cast frame (or at least it did when I was shopping, this may have changed) vs the forged frame of the Lawman.

shane45
02-28-2015, 11:39 PM
I was only aware of the Trojan being cast in the STI line up(of the us made pistols). Didn't know the old Duty ones were. The new ones are not. I like the different look. Was thinking about a 9mm 4.0 myself after a bobtail treatment.

rathos
03-02-2015, 02:31 AM
I have a duty one 9mm that I carry on duty and also carry as my ccw. It has been an awesome gun so far. I didn't have any issues with it, but I did change out the recoil system it came with as it felt weird when shooting, chambering rounds and added extra steps to disassembly. I with with a GI setup and 11 pound springs as I found it had the best reliability with all practice rounds and my duty ammunition. The only thing I haven't liked about it is it only seems to work with metal form mags which are what it came with. It works with both the 9 round and 10 round versions. I tried some wilson mags and they did not work. This was also the case with my 9mm spartan.

I also thought it was odd that it only came with a single sided safety as it is a "duty" pistol, but that will be replaced.

All in all, I would say they are good to go an worth the cash.