PDA

View Full Version : Please educate me on match nomenclature.

Lawrence
02-25-2015, 10:38 PM
Please straighten me out on nomenclature, or link me to a source that gives a plain and clear explanation. :confused: Thank you.:)

What is a STRING?

What is a STAGE?

What is a COURSE?

Lawrence
02-25-2015, 11:37 PM
Let me clarify my confusion.

If a match has 3 action bays, and each bay is set up with targets, is each bay considered a stage or can there be multiple stages within a bay? And, are the 3 bays combined considered the course?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7lHnEDOVn74/USLWPCIpVSI/AAAAAAAAIOY/PqnsyAXJji8/s1600/DSCN0038.JPG

bofe954
02-26-2015, 12:59 AM
Course of fire = stage in USPSA

Most likely the bays you show would only have one stage in each. They could have two small stages or courses of fire (COF).

A string can be a part of a stage (or COF). You could make a stage that started out as El Prez, then instead of unloading and showing clear, you'd reload for the next string and maybe shoot the targets again strong hand only. The reloading in between strings is of the clock.

When you complete a stage (or COF) you unload and show clear, holster up and leave the bay with your squad. If the stage has multiple strings you'd shoot all the strings to complete the stage.

The USPSA rulebook is available on their website, would explain a lot of stuff like this.

Lawrence
02-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks bofe, very well demonstrated...unlike the rulebook which only talks about it but doesn't explain it, e.g.:

1.2.2 Special Courses of Fire:

1.2.2.1 Standard Exercises - Courses of fire consisting of two or more
separately timed component strings. Scores, with any penalties
deducted, are accumulated on completion of the course of fire
to produce the final stage results. Standard Exercises must only
be scored using Virginia Count or Fixed Time. The course of
fire for each component string may require a specific shooting
position, procedure and/or one or more mandatory reloads.
Standard Exercises must not require more than 24 rounds to
complete. Component strings must not require more than 6
rounds (12 rounds if a mandatory reload is specified).

Just to be clear, COF and Stage(s) are synonymous, correct?

rob_s
02-26-2015, 10:17 AM
Just to be clear, COF and Stage(s) are synonymous, correct?

In most cases, yes. Or, they are often used interchangeably.

Might I ask, why not just go to some matches and learn by experience? As I was reading your thread, I realized that I know the answers, I just maybe can't articulate them in writing in a way that's clearer than the rule book, at which point it occurred to me that this was just because of having been shooting matches for 10 years or more.

bofe954
02-26-2015, 01:14 PM
The USPSA book has a glossary and it says COF "used interchangeably with stage". That paragraph from the rule book is pretty ugly, it isn't really using COF correctly per the definition in the glossary. Like rob above mentions, some of it is easier to just go do/see than to read about, and the reading makes a lot more sense after you've done/seen it a few times.

Strings are a pretty rare occurance, they are only in "standards" stages and not in that many standards stages. You can go to a match and not even shoot a standards course, not to mention a standards course that happens to have strings.

cclaxton
02-26-2015, 02:18 PM
It is the same for IDPA. But I would add a few other terms:
Stage Boundaries: in IDPA there is an area, usually indicated by orange cones, behind which you may air gun. In USPSA you may airgun during the walkthrough. Also, when running a HOT BAY you may not go past that line once you are hot...until you have a cold gun.
Hot Range: You may remain hot while at the range, but may not draw or manipulate your gun except under the supervision of a safety officer.
Cold Range with Hot Bays: The entire squad will be loaded at one time and stay within the Bay until they have completed their stage(s) within that bay;
Standards Stage: This is a stage that is not a scenario stage, such as a Bill Drill, etc. It is not to be confused with a IDPA Classifier stage.
Classifier Stage: There are three Stages of IDPA Classifier that are shot normally on the same stage setup. A Classifier can be done individually, or as a match. A Classifier in IDPA is not done as a part of the match, although some innovative Match Directors have figured out how to integrate the classifier into a match.
More can be found at: http://www.idpa.com/misc/docs/2015IDPA-Rules-MA-V1.0.pdf
Cody

Lawrence
02-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Might I ask, why not just go to some matches and learn by experience?

I've participated in, and been to many matches. I'm presenting Phase I of the Master Plan to investors and zoning officials, and just wanted to be extra careful. I could get in trouble for the slightest unintentional misrepresentation. For example here's how I worded the justification on why we need 5 bays up right away:

Five (5) bays meets minimum range requirements for charter members to avoid wait times, and to keep reasonable squad rhythm as participants pass through each stage and move on to the next bay during matches.

Still, it might need some tweaking but you get the gist. I just wasn't sure if "stage" should have been "course of fire" or if "bay" should have been "stage", etc.

Most all of the money guys support me, but there are one or two detractors always looking for that trivial faux pas.:(

bofe954
02-26-2015, 11:54 PM
A club I was a member of was debating taking away one of the bays we used for weekly matches. It worked good for me to refer to the match as a product. Explain that I was trying to sell a product and that I wanted my product to be better than other products available nearby. If that range has 4 stages in 4 bays, I need 4 stages in 4 bays (or more) or I am not going to be able to sell. Seems obvious but I felt like it helped our club pres who was a former CEO and not much of a shooter to get it. The club matches brought in a little money but not really much relative to deer rifle sight in.

Slavex
02-27-2015, 03:57 AM
wait until you get into IPSC in the international setting, Hot Range freaks some people out, other people don't call them COF's or even Stages (can't remember the nomenclature right now, but it will come to me)

Jim Watson
02-27-2015, 11:14 AM
I shoot IDPA and see a String as the shooting done for one start signal. There may be more than one String in a Stage. The Course of Fire is the description of what is to be done in the Stage. A number of Stages make up the Match.

It is very convenient to have enough range Bays to present one Stage in each and let the Match progress smoothly with less stopping, standing and waiting. That lets you organize the entered shooters into as many squads as you have Bays. It is possible to set up more than one Stage in a Bay and shoot them by one or another schedule.

Hereabouts the standard monthly club Match is six Stages, most of only one String. You could standardize on five for your range if that is how many bays you can set up, or you could double up in one Bay.

Lawrence
03-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Hey Folks,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier - planning a commercial outdoor shooting range is a monumental task. Thanks to all for the replies and clarifying nomenclature. A special thanks to Watson for his explicitness. :) Again, much appreciated.