PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thing happened v.USPc FTF

Cosmo M3
08-12-2011, 09:01 AM
To get to the point, my USP.40C had three FTFs out of 50 rounds at the range yesterday.

Stats:

Manufactured Year: 2004
Round Count: Unknown
3rd Owner
Ammo Used: PMC e-Range (Lead Free)
Magazine: Factory 10 round magazine from 2004

Thinking it was a magazine issue, I tried out my brand new 12 round factory magazines and the last round would always FTF (when I hand cycle them to simulate the rounds cycling). I was using Hornady TAP ammuntion.

At a closer look, it looked as if the extractor claw isn't opening all the way during the cycling process to let the round chamber all the way. When I press on the back of the extractor arm, the round would chamber without an issue.

Granted I don't know the history of this gun since I'm the 3rd owner, but do you think the extractor need to be removed and cleaned? Anyone have this issue before?

thanks,

WDW
08-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Here's the thing, guns are not meant to be hand cycled. The cycle of operations is performed at a speed that cannot be duplicated by hand cycling and therefore, blaming 3 FTF's on a gun because you hand cycled the ammunition through it really isn't fair. A good example of this is with an AR. Hand cycle some ammo through and see how long before you have a stoppage. My guess is within the first 10 rounds. Go fire said AR, and 99% sure you won't have a single issue. Bottom line, go shoot the gun and then see if you have a problem.

ToddG
08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Did you have FTFs while shooting or only when cycling by hand?

As 10mm4me said, hand cycling doesn't prove much of anything in this case. Many guns will fail to go through a normal cycle of operation when cycled slowly.

If the FTFs occurred during actual live fire shooting, then you're still stuck with a variety of possible issues:

Leadfree ammo can sometimes be underpowered or otherwise cause irregular cycle properties than produce a higher incidence of stoppages than standard ammo, especially if the non-tox ammo has is old or has been subject to temperature fluctuation.
10rd magazines historically have far more reliability problems than standard capacity magazines.
Your magazine springs may need to be replaced depending on the exact nature of the FTF.
The pistol may need to be cleaned and lubricated. Depending on the type of FTF you may want to pay particular attention to the chamber and feedramp.

Cosmo M3
08-13-2011, 07:15 AM
The 3 FTFs were from shooting.

I was only hand cycling it to function test

Some of the guys over at VA Arms recommended trying out a new recoil spring.

JodyH
08-13-2011, 09:10 AM
With an H&K I'd try different ammo instead of a recoil spring.
H&K recoil springs have a long service life, far in excess of most other designs like Glock.
As Todd posted, the lead free ammo is notorious for causing malfunctions.
If you must shoot lead free ammo, make sure it's new and hasn't been on the shelf for 6 months.
I'd shoot a quality brass cased standard FMJ and see if you have any problems before I'd start blaming the gun.

Cosmo M3
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Update:

Went shooting at the NRA range with a box of Magtech and the gun did not experience a single.

At this point i agree with everyone and blame the ammo, not the gun.