PDA

View Full Version : MDTS Training Experiences, Recommendations

cclaxton
02-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Has anyone here taken courses from MDTS (Modern Defensive Training Systems) with Chris Frye?

What course did you take and how would you rate his classes?

Any concerns with his techniques/tactics he teaches for concealed carry?

Thanks,
Cody

P.S. I am shopping for tactical training in the Mid-Atlantic area, preferably Virginia/Maryland for small knife and concealed carry tactics. If you have any suggestions, please post them here or send me an PM.
Thanks,

Byron
02-25-2015, 04:46 PM
For what it's worth, Chris Fry is a personal friend of Craig Douglas (SouthNarc) and is characterized by Craig as a T-Rex.

Fry was the host of the first ECQC I attended, many years ago. Since then, I've also considered him a good friend.

The only instruction I've taken from Fry was at the first Mid Atlantic Tactical Conference a few years back. It was a carbine block. I felt that Chris was a good teacher: he would explain a technique, explain the "why" behind it, demonstrate, then drill. Neither his material nor his teaching style was fanciful: just solid execution of fundamentals.

Fry collaborates with many other trainers, so you'll be getting material that lines up with people like Craig, Cecil Burch, and others.

Again, I am friends with Chris, so take my opinion as you wish, but I recommend him as a trainer, not to mention an all-around great guy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Chuck Haggard
02-25-2015, 05:06 PM
He is a solid instructor. I'd go to one of his classes myself, just from observing him at Paul-E and the Tactical Conference.

cclaxton
02-25-2015, 05:30 PM
How difficult is it to get a non-resident pistol license for NY in order to go there for training?
Has anyone from Virginia or similar jurisdiction obtained one?
Thanks,
Cody

SouthNarc
02-25-2015, 05:41 PM
It's almost impossible.

Shellback
02-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Here's a review I did after attending one of Chris' classes: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6949-AAR-MDTS-Practical-Knife-Skills-January-2013&highlight=progressive+force

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

cclaxton
02-25-2015, 05:50 PM
It's almost impossible.
Thanks,
I guess I will have to wait for him to go to another jurisdiction, or find a way to host one down here in NoVa.
Cody

SouthNarc
02-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Host him at Murphy's place in Culpeper. He'll come.

cclaxton
02-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Here's a review I did after attending one of Chris' classes: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6949-AAR-MDTS-Practical-Knife-Skills-January-2013&highlight=progressive+force

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.
Wow, Thanks for the great review.
How much of his class is hand to hand, and if so, does it matter what I might use, such as Krav, etc.?
Cody

Shellback
02-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Wow, Thanks for the great review.
How much of his class is hand to hand, and if so, does it matter what I might use, such as Krav, etc.?
Cody

It's been a little while but I'd say it was about 30% classroom and 70% hands on. Use what you brung :)

michaelpa
02-26-2015, 09:54 AM
I took a pistol course a few years ago in Pittsburgh with Chris. His teaching is spot on, explains everything and makes corrections as you proceed. Excellent teacher and tactical teacher. A cut above. He also has courses in PA, NJ and Long Island. NY. check out his website MDTS.

Dropkick
02-27-2015, 11:17 AM
I took Chris' "Combative Use of The Small Knife" Session during Paul-E-Palooza 2012. He is well spoken and the material was straight-forward, which allowed him to cover a good deal of material in the short 2 hour session. And I would certainly train with him if the opportunity presented itself in the Mid-Atlantic area, because as other people have pointed it, it is nearly legally impossible to bring a pistol into NY from another state.

As for other courses, SouthNarc is teaching Extreme Close Quarter Concepts (ECQC) in Culpeper, VA on April 24-26 hosted by FPF-Training.
FPF hosts other visiting instructors from time to time.
And there is also a group in Pittsburgh that brings a number of nationally known Instructors in regularly.

Det1397
04-04-2015, 02:21 PM
I attended an Advance Pistol Course (CPS3+4) run by Chris back in the Fall of 2011 here on Long Island. As a side note, this was my first Open Enrollment class (meaning Mil/LE/Civilian) in quite sometime...
Chris was outstanding. His methods, delivery and information were all TOP NOTCH! He ran the class efficiently, down time was minimized and trigger time was maximized. I would consider the training more than worth the time and expense.
My only concern was the Open Enrollment part. The class was mostly tuned in Civilian shooters with a couple of LEOs. But, there were one or two civilians (one running a 1911 platform, another with a SERPA that had the safety deactivated) who were NOT tuned in. Obviously, they had completed the required pre-requisites to attend, but they were not switched on. Of course I'm not saying that all LEOs are high speed, low drag types, but these two guys were a concern to me!
We got through the two days with no serious incidents, but I'm just throwing this out to make you aware.
Again, Chris is top quality and a great asset to the training community!