PDA

View Full Version : Which sights on Glock 19?

GOP
08-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Hey guys,

first post here. First, let me say that I really enjoy this site and have gained a lot of excellent info here that has helped me grow as a shooter. I used search (though Im not a good "searcher"), and couldn't find an answer. I have also scoured the threads here.

Anyway, I'm basically a broke college kid who spends the majority of my money on training of various types (MMA, shooting courses, climbing, ammo etc), so gear is typically pretty low on my list of priorities. In this case, though, one of my standards I'm trying hard to improve is my 25m shots on an 8" plate. I know that the majority of that is improved from trigger control; however, I can barely see the target due to the size of my front sight (I'm using True Dots I believe, but to me they are pretty large). I wear contacts, so Im not sure if that has anything to do with my weird sight picture. I'd like a sight set up that allows me to get a better sight picture at that distance (ie: smaller front post). I have looked at the VTAC sights, as well as Defoor's straight black sights (they are very cheap, but unsure of the quality). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I apologize if this is out of place or if my "search-fu" let me down, feel free to delete if necessary.

Thanks,
Mike.

JHC
08-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Warren Sevigny Carry sets have worked well for me - incl the sort of shooting you described. The way most of their std sets come - I would apply a 6:00 hold on those 8" plates with them on my Glocks.

dsa
08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
The Defoor Tactical sights are excellent quality(made by Ameriglo): .115" front sight and a .150" rear notch. I recently installed a set on a G17 and I like them a lot. I installed them in attempt to train myself to track the front sight better. The all black configuration leaves a little something to be desired in low light situations.

Prdator
08-11-2011, 07:45 PM
For me it's the Ameriglo operator pro's. http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/pro-operator

The best Glock sight made IMHO.
IF you like them PM me on a set.

EricP
08-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Warren Sevigny Carry sets have worked well for me - incl the sort of shooting you described. The way most of their std sets come - I would apply a 6:00 hold on those 8" plates with them on my Glocks.

The Sevigny Carry sights are available in two heights (.215 and .245") at http://mle-shootingsports.com/Sights-/-Tools-Warren-Tactical/c7_28/p88/WTS-Sevigny-Carry-Sets-Glock/product_info.html.

JonInWA
08-12-2011, 08:06 AM
I've been very pleased with the set of balck-on-black Warren Tactical sights I've got on my G34; I did apply a coat of Liquid Paper as a base coat, and then a coat of Testor's Neon Green to the rear face of my front sight to aid in acquisition.

Best, Jon

John Ralston
08-12-2011, 10:10 AM
My personal favorites are the Heinie Legde Straight 8's. I like serrated sights to reduce glare and I like the Legde for one handed manipulations.

CQC.45
08-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I prefer any of the 2-dot setups (Warren, Heinie, Ameriglo i-dot, etc.).

I think the i-dot pros from ameriglo are the best value going. Both front and rear are a little on the wide side, but are fast as hell and perfect for 99% of SD needs IMO...

gringop
08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
The Defoors are are good to go, I've been running them on my G19 for over a year. I attribute my moving from IDPA Expert to Master to going from a big blocky .165 front sight to the Defoor .115.

For my old gen 2 G19 using Defoors, a 6 o'clock hold shoots the center of a B-8 at 25 yards.

The low price is a bonus.

Gringop

fuse
08-12-2011, 03:26 PM
The Defoors are are good to go, I've been running them on my G19 for over a year. I attribute my moving from IDPA Expert to Master to going from a big blocky .165 front sight to the Defoor .115.

For my old gen 2 G19 using Defoors, a 6 o'clock hold shoots the center of a B-8 at 25 yards.

The low price is a bonus.

Gringop

Ditto this.

If you want the advantages (and disadvantages) of black sights, the defoors are an excellent option.

Use coupon code gssf for an even lower price.

sent via Android 3.1

NickA
08-12-2011, 04:36 PM
There is also a. 125 tritium front sight that works with the Defoor rear, i'm using it on my 19. Obviously a little less fine than the. 115 but I wanted the tritium.
Also have the Ameriglo Hacks on my 17. Love the big orange dot but the front is a .140 with a .180 notch. Both work well for me but I need to do some more longer range shooting before I standardize on one or the other (or try tomething else).

JeffJ
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
That's one of those questions that can leave you more confused once the answers start rolling in. Sights are like everything else in handguns, a compromise - the ideal sight for a long precise shot is going to be narrow and probably all black, most people consider that less than ideal for fast shooting at medium to medium/far distances - you may also want night sights, they don't get as narrow simply because the tritium tube takes up a certain amount of space. Fiber-optic are great under the right conditions but lack robustness (is that a word?) and can be worse than all black in low light settings.

In other words, we've all picked sights based on what our needs are as well as our personal prefrences. I think it's fair to say that most the folks on this forum are focused on SD or combat shooting, ie. fast, mutilple shot strings with a high degree of accuracy. Most of the folks here also want to practice and achieve that level of profeciency with either the same firearm or one very similar to their carry or duty weapon. So, I'm guessing that from your other bio info that this is your do-all pistol, in that case I'd look to night sights with a decent amount of light on either side of the front sight. I have the ameriglo idot pros on my glocks, I like the orange front and the 2-dot configuration. However, I know other guys that like 3-dots or a night sight up front and a plain rear. There are others out there that don't think night sights are necessary. The bottom line is that we all see things differently in both a literal and metaphorical sense. The best thing you can do is handle and prefreably shoot some guns with different sights on them and see how they look to you. The bottom line is that you should be able to make good hits with even the horrible Glock factroy sights, differeint sights will just allow you refine and tweak your sight picture.

dickmadison
08-12-2011, 07:27 PM
I use these sights by ameriglo:

Front:gst-165
Rear:GL-406PRA

They shoot POA/POI on my glock 17 at 25 yards. I like them much better than the warren tacticals that I was using. The warren's have a .115 wide front sight and I still thought that was too wide. The GST-165 are .90 wide and I can see a half size silhouette at 100 yards and hit it. The .90 is really precise and the model I posted is the same height size as the stock sights but like I said, much thinner. The rear sight has a little bit wider than normal rear notch but it is radiused so it is not hard to center it with the front sight post. Everything is black because dots and bars distract me. 55 bucks. done.

Super J
08-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I love my Sevigny carry sights with tritium (model scy-011). They have a green front tritium sight and a single dimmer yellow rear.

Jason
08-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Heinie Straight Eights.

With reference to the aforementioned compromise we all do: For up close, I am willing to give up that smidgeon of speed for better mid to distance accuracy. Case in point, in a walk back drill in a Vickers class, I was able to hit at about 115 yards with my (self installed) straight eights mounted on a mostly stock glock 19 (two pin even). On a moving FAST drill I was able to make around 7.15 seconds or so (after not having shot outside the class for about three months). I am ok with that compromise.

markp
08-16-2011, 10:08 AM
I am running a Heinie tritium front with a 10-8 rear.
Applied some orange paint along the front sight face.

EVP
08-16-2011, 01:15 PM
There is also a. 125 tritium front sight that works with the Defoor rear, i'm using it on my 19. Obviously a little less fine than the. 115 but I wanted the tritium.

NickA just curious what front tritium sight you use with the Defoor rears?

SCBradley
08-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I've been using the Defoor sights for over a year on various 19's. Great sights, crappy pic.
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n501/bradleycustom/34-1.jpg

NickA
08-16-2011, 01:35 PM
NickA just curious what front tritium sight you use with the Defoor rears?
Kevin- should be Ameriglo part # GL-112T.

seamastersw
09-03-2020, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know the defoor 9mm sight heights? I had a set years ago and remember them shooting low for me on a glock 26.

Willard
09-03-2020, 09:35 PM
As a broke college kid, get the Defoors. I have a set and they are good sights. With a light, you don't need anything else. Here is a link you should check out before you buy anything: https://civiliandefender.com/2016/04/01/low-light-red-sights-and-tom-givens-glock-3

pangloss
09-03-2020, 09:49 PM
This thread is older than my daughter who is in third grade now, but I really like 10-8 Performance. I'd love to pair a 10-8 rear with a yellow-green Ameriglo front if I could find a combination that yields a properly regulated drive the dot hold. Right now I'm running the Ameriglo Agent sights on my carry pistol and the Ameriglo Bold sights on my practice pistol. I like both of them. There are a lot of good sight options out there right now, even more than there were in 2011.

Sig_Fiend
09-06-2020, 05:12 PM
I'd say keep it simple and start with the Ameriglo Defoors. They're great bang for the buck. Those were, I think, the first good quality set of aftermarket sights I ever got for my G17 something like 10 years ago. The quality of materials on those is solid, so nothing to worry about there. The front is .115" wide. That makes a huge difference over stock width, which are ~.145-.150". The Defoor rear has a .150" wide notch. That's an "alright" rear width. Personally, I'm a fan of a much thinner rear notch, like below .140" width at minimum. .125-.130" width rear notches with a .105-.115" front helps quite a bit for accuracy at distance, at least for my eyes.

Here's the Defoors on my old Gen 2 G17

kjr_29
09-07-2020, 08:40 AM
This thread is older than my daughter who is in third grade now, but I really like 10-8 Performance. I'd love to pair a 10-8 rear with a yellow-green Ameriglo front if I could find a combination that yields a properly regulated drive the dot hold. Right now I'm running the Ameriglo Agent sights on my carry pistol and the Ameriglo Bold sights on my practice pistol. I like both of them. There are a lot of good sight options out there right now, even more than there were in 2011.

https://ameriglo.com/collections/products/glock-uc-tritium-sets might be what you want.

U notch, bright fronts from the Agent/Bold/Trooper lineup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sig_Fiend
09-07-2020, 09:06 AM
Does anyone know the defoor 9mm sight heights? I had a set years ago and remember them shooting low for me on a glock 26.

Damn, didn't realize this was a necropost.

To answer the question: (for Ameriglo model GT-504)

Front: .165" x .115"
Rear: .256" x .150"