PDA

View Full Version : 1st shot to the left?

irishshooter
08-11-2011, 09:28 AM
my 1st shot from the holster is often a little to the left. i correct this in the subsequent follow-up shots,but i'd like to improve upon this for it frustrates the crap outta me. i shot an M&P 9 compact and wonder if it is either not getting enough WH on the grip or if it is an issue with coming to extension asymmetrically. ie. my right arm getting to full extension marginally faster than my left?? any thoughts guys? thanks

ToddG
08-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Is it happening all the time or only when you are trying to draw and hit at speed?

Are you performing a press-out and seeing your sight alignment during extension rather than just once you get to extension (or only once you've fired the first shot)?

irishshooter
08-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Is it happening all the time or only when you are trying to draw and hit at speed?

Are you performing a press-out and seeing your sight alignment during extension rather than just once you get to extension (or only once you've fired the first shot)?

Todd, yes primarily with hitting at speed, although my groups do appear a little favored to the left most times as well, but not as bad as my draw to first shot.

i have since coming to this site begun revising my draw to include a press out like the ones i have seen you and others on this site perform. my initial formal training was from your NH alma mater and they dont teach that high draw/press out that you do.....wish they would so i wouldnt have to break old habits ;) i do have a hard front sight focus fairly early in my press out though.

Simon
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
A person can't really tell anything without seeing your grip and your groups, but I sometimes have the same problem and in my case it is caused by a to short trigger reach. When the trigger reach is to
short, I put my trigger finger to far onto the trigger and I can not pull straight to the rear. If I am not in a hurry I will correct it, but from the draw I will push it to the left because I put to much finger into the trigger guard.

Failure2Stop
08-18-2011, 08:30 AM
I have a strong feeling that you are anticipating the shot, resulting in either pre-ignition push and/or slamming the trigger.

Get a buddy, and have him randomly place a round in the chamber of your pistol. Have him hand it back to you and do the press-out.
See or feel the gun dive toward your support side and/or low? Anticipation.
Repeat at least 10 times for diagnosis.