PDA

View Full Version : Austin TX Advice Shopping Advice

JM Campbell
02-20-2015, 10:41 AM
I'm heading up to Austin tomorrow and need some info/advice on good stores/gun shops to source gun powder.

I'm hitting up Silencer Shop on the same trip. Any where else I need to look into?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want your go to stash location broadcasted on the Web and wiped out.

Thanks in advance.

Dr. No
02-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Not much in the way of reloading supplies. McBrides is really the only thing in the city that carries powder. They are super expensive.

There's a gun shop in Liberty Hill that carries lots of powder and has good prices. http://www.atexasgirlsguns.com/ but that's a bit outside of Austin.

secondstoryguy
02-21-2015, 12:18 PM
We have some decent gunshops but pickins are slim around Austin for powder. Sometimes Cabela's has powder but it's touch and go. They will have something that will make a bang but if your looking for something specific your usually SOL.

gringop
02-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Not a brick and mortar store but may be worth a look.

http://www.wcarmory.com/reloading-supplies

Gringop

JM Campbell
02-22-2015, 01:14 AM
Thanks gents, been locked out of forum on Tapatalk.

I did hit up Cabelas and picked up 4lbs of H322, and yes I did leave some for the rest of the folks.

I'll be back in a few months once the paper clears big brother so I'll plan a better city run.

JV_
02-22-2015, 06:39 AM
Thanks gents, been locked out of forum on Tapatalk. .

Did you get it resolved? Tom Jones has a post in the help desk about it.

JM Campbell
02-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Looks too be. On Tapatalk currently.

Dr. No
02-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Honestly you're better off mail ordering.

LHS
02-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Speaking of Austin-specific stuff, I'm going to be there this coming week. From what I've been able to suss out, Texas has state pre-emption laws on firearms, but not on knives. At the state level, it appears my clinch pick is kosher in TX, but does Austin have any city-specific anti-knife laws?

JM Campbell
02-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Dr. No can answer that question perfectly.

RevolverRob
02-22-2015, 02:39 PM
If there are ordinances in Austin. I, Austin PD, and Travis County Sherrifs are all unaware lf them.

I would (did) carry a Clinch Pick, big folders, big fixed blades, concealed, every day in Austin for 8 years, without a problem. If you have a concealed carry license, you are not likely to be hassled by the police in any way.

RE: gun shops - Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves is a solid choice (prices are on the high side), GT Distributors in Austin is also as good as their Dallas location. The clerks in there are top notch.

Otherwise, in my not so humble opinion, Jackson Armory in Dallas is the best gunshop in Texas.

-Rob

LHS
02-22-2015, 02:47 PM
If there are ordinances in Austin. I, Austin PD, and Travis County Sherrifs are all unaware lf them.

I would (did) carry a Clinch Pick, big folders, big fixed blades, concealed, every day in Austin for 8 years, without a problem. If you have a concealed carry license, you are not likely to be hassled by the police in any way.

RE: gun shops - Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves is a solid choice (prices are on the high side), GT Distributors in Austin is also as good as their Dallas location. The clerks in there are top notch.

Otherwise, in my not so humble opinion, Jackson Armory in Dallas is the best gunshop in Texas.

-Rob

Gracias!

Glenn E. Meyer
02-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Other cities in TX may have local knife rules - San Antonio for one on lockbacks. They are used with discretion for arresting gang suspects. This is similar to the SA one on carrying loaded rifles - allowed by the state but the local law exists. It was promoted to arrest gang types way back when there were cheap SKS rifles available. It conflicts with the state and as caused some uproar with the OC crowd. The local police seems to acknowledge the state law now.