PDA

View Full Version : Nanovault, Microvault, etc.

Argus
08-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Gunvault Nanovault 200 / 300, or similar products? I'm looking for a lockbox for those instances where I have to leave my pistol in the car or hotel. Specifically, I'd like to find something that will accommodate a G19 holstered in a Comp-Tac Infidel (leather belt loops), and a spare magazine. I like the looks of the Nanovault, but I think it may not be quite deep enough to hold the pistol in the holster. The next size up (Microvault) looks like it would probably work. Any issues or problems with these boxes, or alternatives that I should consider?

Thanks.

zml342
08-11-2011, 05:40 AM
I have the nanovault...and lets just say you get what you pay for. I can fit my P30 and spare mag in there, but I have to crush the lid down to get it to close. Gun+holster definitely will not fit. I have also had problems with the latch engaging the catch. Some times it would take me several tries to open and/or close it.

The plus size is it is very slim and will conceal well in the car and is light enough to travel with. The downside is that I do not find it to be constructed all that well. It suits its purpose, but I wouldn't give it my full endorsement. YMMV

Argus
08-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks. I admit that the price was definitely a factor in my interest in the nanovault. Guess I will look at the Micro. Any other alternatives?

JDM
08-11-2011, 08:45 AM
I have the nanovault...and lets just say you get what you pay for. I can fit my P30 and spare mag in there, but I have to crush the lid down to get it to close. Gun+holster definitely will not fit. I have also had problems with the latch engaging the catch. Some times it would take me several tries to open and/or close it.

The plus size is it is very slim and will conceal well in the car and is light enough to travel with. The downside is that I do not find it to be constructed all that well. It suits its purpose, but I wouldn't give it my full endorsement. YMMV

I'll pretty much echo this.

Your gun and holster will not fit in here. Your gun and a spare mag will.

Nice to have in the care however.

jeepgal1961
08-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I drive a Jeep. Most of the time I have the soft top on and half the time I have no top at all. I'm constantly worried about someone breaking into my Jeep. All they'd have to do is unzip a window.

I have this one hidden in the back of my jeep. It's secured with a cable. Unless someone spent the time to actually find it and also take the time to cut the cable, I feel it's pretty secure. I feel it keeps the snatch and grabbers away. It won't however fit a holster. It's much like the one you mentioned.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBB15U

I did just buy this one but haven't installed it yet.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-282-247-tuffy-jk-conceal-carry-security-drawer.aspx

I know its made specifically for a Jeep, but it's installed on the seat bolts and you can bolt it down to the frame. It's pretty big and would easily fit a pistol and holster.

TGS
08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I have a Nano 200. Keep an eye on the locking mechanism, mine came loose one time which was very disconcerting as it took a few minutes to get it to unlock. I tightened it up and everything has been fine since.

Just realize what you have. With common tools a criminal can remove that dinky wire, and then take it home and open it with whatever they might need/have in the tool-box. Still, I think it's a good idea when hidden/retained for the instance of a break-in by a casual thief who isn't using tools. A professional thief won't be deterred at all, or even delayed for more than a few seconds. I personally don't like, or really approve of leaving a gun in a vehicle as the negatives far outweigh the positives, but sometimes I have to so I go with it as the best I can do.

Argus
08-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks. I think I've ruled out the nanovault as I really want something that will hold the gun holstered. Also, it seems like there are some durability and reliability issues with the nano's. The Microvault is still an option I think. It's more expensive, but looks like it should accommodate a holstered pistol. Anyone have experience with the Microvault? Does the higher price tag come with better quality than the nano? I don't expect it to provide super high security against a determined thief, but it should lock (and unlock) when I want it to.

That Tuffy drawer is pretty cool, but I really want something more portable (and I don't drive a jeep).

Thanks again for the info.