John Hearne
02-19-2015, 01:12 PM
This breaks it down nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114&app=desktop

GardoneVT
02-19-2015, 01:43 PM
This breaks it down nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114&app=desktop

The Truth is irrelevant as far as greater society is concerned.

The media collects ad revenue and prestige blowing up any instance of LE misconduct, or slanting a story as such if facts arent available.
The education business does so also-lots of folks are collecting grant money studying cases of "racial bias".

Politicians in ethnic communities build entire careers blaming every ethnic problem on police actions.
Reverends in the same neighborhoods blame cultural issues with glorfying crime on "police actions", since science says once the cops totally disarm Ray Ray will put down his stolen gun and go to church.
Women even blame their love life problems on cops arresting "too many black men".

The truth that cops are a very professional group in American Society is not only unpopular, its also unprofitable.Might be why the lie is so common.

SteveK
02-19-2015, 02:00 PM
And when you think about the people law enforcement has contact with, a substantial section of that populace aren't exactly stellar citizens. I understand there are abuses out there, but aside from general complainants,, routine stops, victims, etc...we don't deal with reputable people in general. Drug users and thieves have to be liars, it's the only way they can sustain there habits. Hence the small percentage of substantiated complaints.

Paul
02-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Blah blah blah. Cops will come up with any excuse to justify their psychotic behavior....

The rest of the Joe Snuffy videos, mobile dispatcher is my favorite, aren't bad either.

GardoneVT
02-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Blah blah blah. Cops will come up with any excuse to justify their psychotic behavior....

I hope that's sarcasm.

John Hearne
02-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Drug users and thieves have to be liars, it's the only way they can sustain there habits. Hence the small percentage of substantiated complaints.

It's been a while since I read it but one the first major studies on in-car video use was interesting. 97% of the time, the video showed no wrongdoing by the officer. The other 2.99999% were not violations of citizen rights but violations of policy - the infamous not wearing your trooper hat kind of thing.

Paul
02-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Gardone it was sarcasm. Regardless of what's in the video, there's a small but vocal portion of the population that will feel that the video is just propaganda to support the police. I haven't fact checked the video, so I don't know how accurate the numbers are.

Drug users and thieves have to be liars, it's the only way they can sustain there habits.

I've found drug users and thieves to be some of the more honest people that I deal with. Sure they'll lie about how that dope got on their person, or how they ended up with that TV. They're usually not the folks concocting outrageous complaints about how they were mistreated by the police, I have more Suzy Soccer moms complain about traffic tickets than crackheads. I can't speak for anyone else's IA experiences, but middle and upper class people are the worst liars when it comes to police complaints. I mean outright fabrications, not differences of opinion or different interpretation of events type of things.

Artemas
02-19-2015, 05:01 PM
The Truth is irrelevant as far as greater society is concerned.

Yep. The first 5 or so youtube comments I read back that right up:(

GardoneVT
02-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Gardone it was sarcasm. Regardless of what's in the video, there's a small but vocal portion of the population that will feel that the video is just propaganda to support the police. I haven't fact checked the video, so I don't know how accurate the numbers are.

I've found drug users and thieves to be some of the more honest people that I deal with. Sure they'll lie about how that dope got on their person, or how they ended up with that TV. They're usually not the folks concocting outrageous complaints about how they were mistreated by the police, I have more Suzy Soccer moms complain about traffic tickets than crackheads. I can't speak for anyone else's IA experiences, but middle and upper class people are the worst liars when it comes to police complaints. I mean outright fabrications, not differences of opinion or different interpretation of events type of things.
In the times I've interacted with LE as a young black man, rather then be slighted by my race I've actually been cut some substantial breaks.

One example:my teenage self was nailed dead to rights racing someone on a public street. I could-and considering how fast I was nailed at, probably SHOULD- have been tossed in the clink for Reckless Driving.The officers' cut me a monumental break, and its a lesson that stuck with me ever since.

Those stories never make it to CNN, for some reason.

LSP552
02-20-2015, 08:59 AM
In the times I've interacted with LE as a young black man, rather then be slighted by my race I've actually been cut some substantial breaks.

One example:my teenage self was nailed dead to rights racing someone on a public street. I could-and considering how fast I was nailed at, probably SHOULD- have been tossed in the clink for Reckless Driving.The officers' cut me a monumental break, and its a lesson that stuck with me ever since.

As a general rule, officers tend to use discretion when they think it will be effective and not wasted. Sometimes a warning changes behavior better than a ticket or arrest, depending on the circumstances.

KevinB
02-20-2015, 09:44 AM
As a general rule, officers tend to use discretion when they think it will be effective and not wasted. Sometimes a warning changes behavior better than a ticket or arrest, depending on the circumstances.

Oh come on what do you know ;)

LSP552
02-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Oh come on what do you know ;)

Nothing once I made Capt. ;). It's a rule!

LtDave
02-20-2015, 04:58 PM

This has been my experience as well.

KeeFus
02-20-2015, 06:26 PM
They're usually not the folks concocting outrageous complaints about how they were mistreated by the police, I have more Suzy Soccer moms complain about traffic tickets than crackheads. I can't speak for anyone else's IA experiences, but middle and upper class people are the worst liars when it comes to police complaints. I mean outright fabrications, not differences of opinion or different interpretation of events type of things.

QFT! We had an upper class mom call today to complain on an officer. Her complaint: my son doesn't live here. The officer that came today scared my grandson. Yall dont need to come here any more.

Her son has warrants for sell and deliver of cocaine...

fixer
02-20-2015, 10:25 PM
QFT! We had an upper class mom call today to complain on an officer. Her complaint: my son doesn't live here. The officer that came today scared my grandson. Yall dont need to come here any more.

God bless you guys for keeping your cool.

effin people. just sayin.

Paul
02-21-2015, 01:47 AM

I'm sure they even had the nerve to suggest that they would never come back to the house if she told them her son's last known address. I bet one of those bastards even said, if he turns himself in out the jail house, there won't be any chance that the police will hurt him taking him into custody, I mean he's practically threatening to hurt her son.

It's been a slow winter so we were catching up on outstanding misdemeanor warrants. We go to house, which is middle to upper class area, looking a for a guy and knock on the door and get a "what the fuck do you want?" So I respond "Hey this Officer Paul, we're looking for so and so, he has a probation violation out". And I get a "fuck you don't come here anymore", which in my mind translates to come to my house at all hours of the night and knock on the door. This goes on for a few days. After that they're calling the station to complain, they get told just talk to the officers. Few more days go by and I see car leaving the house, follow it a few blocks, driver rolls a stop sign and I pull the car over. Clean cut, Abercrombie & Fitch white guy driving the car. I try to explain that I'm looking for so and so and he starts with the attitude. I throw him in jail for the traffic violation and impound his car. He shows up at the station the next day with his wife, a high price civil rights attorney and a city councilman, I get called in from home and we have to have a big sit down with the chief, the city attorney, and a city councilman, more lawyers...... The part about us harassing them at all hours of the day and night by knocking on the doors were true. But then it's accusations that we threatened to shoot their dogs, had followed their children to school, followed them to work, solicited the wife for sex and threatened to arrest her for prostitution, blah blah blah. They were smart enough to know that we don't have body cameras, but not smart enough to know that we have in car cameras with body mics. So we get down to business and it turns out they moved into the house 6 weeks ago, and the LKA on the warrant was about 10 weeks old. All I could say is "OK I'll take your address off the warrant list and I'll notify the clerk of the court that issued the warrant, and chief please sign my OT card". They're so ready to get in fight that if they had given me 10 seconds to explain what was going on, none of it would have ever happened.

45dotACP
02-21-2015, 03:25 AM
And when you think about the people law enforcement has contact with, a substantial section of that populace aren't exactly stellar citizens. I understand there are abuses out there, but aside from general complainants,, routine stops, victims, etc...we don't deal with reputable people in general. Drug users and thieves have to be liars, it's the only way they can sustain there habits. Hence the small percentage of substantiated complaints.

It has been my experience in dealing with less than reputable people, that they will always feel victimized, even more so in the case of a justifiable manhandling they are to receive, either by the police, an armed citizen, or a bouncer at a club whatever...Psychiatrists I talk to call it projection. These crooks project their sense of predation upon everybody they meet, so anybody who defeats them has singled them out as a victim and ambushed them.

cclaxton
02-22-2015, 07:54 AM
Those are compelling percentages. Unfortunately it only seems to take only one incident that gets the community upset and gets amplified by the media to turn this into an indictment of the whole system. Thanks for the great video.
Cody

John Hearne
02-23-2015, 09:23 AM
They're so ready to get in fight that if they had given me 10 seconds to explain what was going on, none of it would have ever happened.

But, but, don't talk to the police.....

Sensei
02-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Those are compelling percentages. Unfortunately it only seems to take only one incident that gets the community upset and gets amplified by the media to turn this into an indictment of the whole system. Thanks for the great video.
Cody

Very true for every industry. Nobody cares about the 100 times that you got it right - that is expected. The focus is always on the one instance where the holes in the Swiss Cheese lined up just right...

TGS
02-24-2015, 09:32 AM

Good cops (most cops) can probably make out a good kid being stupid vs an actual delinquent.

Its losing that discretion....learned through autonomy....that scares me. We all say it: if we were treated how kids are treated today, most of us would be in jail.

I, no shit, would have had felony charges relating to firearms.l and possibly terrorism. I absolutely would have been thrown out of school, considering I brought in an air cannon for a project, gave a presentation on a Springfield rifle, and in general played with water guns during recess.

Alpha Sierra
02-25-2015, 08:52 AM
How appropriate this thread's title.......

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/the-disappeared-chicago-police-detain-americans-at-abuse-laden-black-site/ar-BBhVkfd?ocid=iehp

cclaxton
02-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Alpha, So what is your take on this article about Homan Square?
My tendency is to give the cops the benefit of the doubt and whatever secrecy surrounds Homan Square is being misinterpreted.
On the other hand...it IS Chicago.
Cody

Alpha Sierra
02-25-2015, 09:26 AM
My take is the opposite of yours. The trust has been broken and so now everything is suspect.

Chuck Haggard
02-25-2015, 09:42 AM
My take is the opposite of yours. The trust has been broken and so now everything is suspect.

Seek therapy then.

Your rationalization is no different than someone getting mugged and now thinking everyone from the mugger's racial group is a criminal.

GardoneVT
02-25-2015, 09:55 AM
My tendency is to give the cops the benefit of the doubt and whatever secrecy surrounds Homan Square is being misinterpreted.
On the other hand...it IS Chicago.
Cody

Exactly.

If there really were CPD officers operating as extra legal vigilantes , half of their bosses all the way up to the Mayor would be visiting Room 101.The worst thugs in Chicago dont post on a corner; they wear suits and hold offices at City Hall.

popo22
02-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Homan Square allegations are pure conjecture and speculation IMO. They are doing what "lawyers" excel at, re-direct, mis-direct, and fabricate in order to discredit the system and all LEO's.

Paul
02-25-2015, 12:47 PM
How does someone get shackled to a bench for 17 hours and not mention that they urinated and/or defecated on themselves, or have bruises from the shackles.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Solution - close your eyes and eat a mint.

http://www.policeone.com/chiefs-sheriffs/articles/8341325-NYPD-commish-defends-work-in-progress-retraining-program

Glenn E. Meyer
02-26-2015, 02:55 PM
A little more on the issue. Do you carry a backup mint?

http://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety/articles/8335302-Smart-policing-Why-NYPD-s-closed-eyes-tactic-is-anything-but/?utm_source=8333620&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Exclusives1LeftTitle&utm_campaign=P1Member&nlid=8333620

calibased
03-12-2015, 04:28 AM
So basically more people are dying from car accidents so police violence is not a concern ? Hah yea right.

BaiHu
03-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Solution - close your eyes and eat a mint.

http://www.policeone.com/chiefs-sheriffs/articles/8341325-NYPD-commish-defends-work-in-progress-retraining-program

A little more on the issue. Do you carry a backup mint?

http://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety/articles/8335302-Smart-policing-Why-NYPD-s-closed-eyes-tactic-is-anything-but/?utm_source=8333620&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Exclusives1LeftTitle&utm_campaign=P1Member&nlid=8333620

Zoiks! I couldn't get through the second paragraph of the 'eyes wide shut mint protocol' without saying: "Holy Batarang Bullsh&t Batman! Quick, to the getaway vehicle and drive far, far away..."

Okay, now I'll try and go back and wade through it, but I'll have to put a Tyvek suit on-I feel dirty.

Chuck Haggard
03-12-2015, 07:50 AM
So basically more people are dying from car accidents so police violence is not a concern ? Hah yea right.

Do you have something more than that to offer?

I'll tell you that on the very, very rare occasion that "police violence" happens that it is a VERY big concern for many of us. I have in fact personally caused the firing of a police officer over an excessive force incident. It is a very big deal to me and something I will not tolerate. You do not on my watch get to tarnish my badge by doing stupid or illegal shit.

The things noted in this thread include that the issue has been blown completely and utterly out of proportion by people with an agenda, and not a good agenda. Not only are more people dying of car accidents than "police violence", but statistically you are about as likely to be killed by the police as you are to be killed by lightening, and this doesn't even take into account that the vast majority of people killed by the police in the US died under clearly justified circumstances.

cclaxton
03-12-2015, 10:08 AM
And....the media is a big part of the problem. In an attempt to sensationalize and gain ratings, the media distorts the truth. Just take the classic "unarmed black man shot by police." What kind of image is that sending the mass audience? Capitalism is a good thing, and you can't stop the sensationalizing. But we can demand that they don't distort the story in the process.
Cody

Kyle Reese
03-12-2015, 10:44 AM
And....the media is a big part of the problem. In an attempt to sensationalize and gain ratings, the media distorts the truth. Just take the classic "unarmed black man shot by police." What kind of image is that sending the mass audience? Capitalism is a good thing, and you can't stop the sensationalizing. But we can demand that they don't distort the story in the process.
Cody

The American media, by and large, cares about salaciousness and sensationalism. Truth & objectivity take a back seat to pushing The Narrative.

BigDaddy
03-14-2015, 06:40 PM
The Homan Square story was started by a "man" that was arrested for starting and taking part in a conspiracy to burn Chicago Police Officers alive during the NATO Summit. It was printed by a "newspaper" that has leftist leanings. It is so far out there that even the news media here doesn't buy into it. And they have been historically at war with the CPD. Even the criminal defense attorneys who represent the scum of the earth haven't bought into it save the few who see dollars signs and a quick buck. The only people that are really running with it are the anarchists, the Communists, and those too stupid to see it for what it is. BS.