PDA

View Full Version : Silencer choice?

witchking777
02-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Choices are all SilencerCo,Omega 7.62,Specwar 5.56,Specwar K 5.56,I have a Trifecta flash hider installed.

Sean O
02-16-2015, 04:15 PM
On what platform/ intended use?

Odin Bravo One
02-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Yeah.........what he said.

I'll hold off commenting until I can be sure that the topic doesn't get de-railed by people who have no fucking idea what they are talking about.........

JM Campbell
02-16-2015, 04:51 PM
I currently have a 762 specwar. On a colt 6920 with triffecta mount it is a little front heavy. On my 8 and 9" pistol barrels it is not an issue imo.

The 16oz Omega is pretty a appealing depending on application.

HCM
02-16-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm looking at a similar purchase - Basically I'm looking at the SAKER 762 vs the Omega.

I was set on a SAKER 762 and getting a 5.56 front cap and a MAAD rear cap to allow use of the SPECWAR / ASR mount as a "do it all" centerfire rifle suppressor for. 5.56. 300 blk and 308 but the new Omega can appears to be a viable option as well.

Is the all all Stellite baffle stack preferably to the Stellite / stainless steel of the Omega?

TR675
02-16-2015, 05:45 PM
I went with a SAKER 7.62 because it was (a) available, (b) (relatively compared to SureFire) inexpensive, (c) available, (d) seems modular and versatile, and (e) available.

I don't know if I can tell a difference in dB ratings between brands and with my shooting schedule I will never in a million years wear a can out, so the choice of which was largely academic.

witchking777
02-16-2015, 06:20 PM
On what platform/ intended use?

16" BCM middy in 5.56,I'll use it for home defense,vehicular carry,varminting,and possibly hunting,no 7.62 platforms yet,maybe in the future.

Unobtanium
02-16-2015, 10:11 PM
I love surefire.

That said...I always pick the shortest, lightest, least backpressure having product from any line up.

witchking777
02-16-2015, 10:15 PM
I love surefire.

That said...I always pick the shortest, lightest, least backpressure having product from any line up.

So you would pick the Specwar K?

Unobtanium
02-16-2015, 10:31 PM
So you would pick the Specwar K?

Yep

witchking777
02-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Yep

Alrighty,do you prefer caliber specific silencer i.e. 556-556 or is running a 7.62 can acceptable? Reason I'm asking is the Omega 762 is about the same size/weight as the Specwar K.

Unobtanium
02-17-2015, 02:40 AM
Alrighty,do you prefer caliber specific silencer i.e. 556-556 or is running a 7.62 can acceptable? Reason I'm asking is the Omega 762 is about the same size/weight as the Specwar K.
I run. 7.62 cans on 7.62 and 5.56 on 5.56. Again, all my stuff is surefire. Ymmv based on brand.

rob_s
02-17-2015, 05:23 AM
16" BCM middy in 5.56,I'll use it for home defense,vehicular carry,varminting,and possibly hunting,no 7.62 platforms yet,maybe in the future.

Absent any real, specific, use, I'd go with the Omega. I plan on buying one myself shortly.

Theres all kinds of real world this and mission that, but private purchase silencers are a completely different animal. Having one that is light enough to actually maybe get used sometimes, and flexible enough to use on as many different forearms/calipers as possible are better driving factors for the private purchaser than things like uber-durability and chasing after one or two DB.

LittleLebowski
02-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Choices are all SilencerCo,Omega 7.62,Specwar 5.56,Specwar K 5.56,I have a Trifecta flash hider installed.

Omega, it's a no brainer.

rob_s
02-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Incidentally, there's some can weight/length/OD information here. There's tabs at the bottom for 5.56 and 7.62

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajl2UPK0UHPscHdzd2hlZ2hOUXNHUnRyVUVVM3B0R EE&usp=sharing

LittleLebowski
02-17-2015, 09:55 AM
I know Sean has a lot of real world experience with this topic and I look forward to his comments.

That.

JM Campbell
02-17-2015, 01:49 PM
That.
Ditto, I'd love to hear his insight.

HCM
02-17-2015, 02:20 PM

I was planning on running. 7.62 can for everything and maybe getting a 556 specific can down the road.

The TX DPS aviation and SWAT guys local to me are running 762 cans on everything to simplify logistics and have had good results. Last time I was at the range with them they had the older/ original style Surefire cans.

I'll third the request for Sean's thoughts on this.

Sean O
02-17-2015, 10:42 PM
If you are set on one of those three, I have to agree with the above and say the Omega is a no brainer. For most non LE/Mil folks, I think the common order of importance on suppressors goes something like this:

#1- Sound suppression
#2- Weight
#3- Price
#4- Availability
#5- Company they purchase from
#6- Connection method
#7- Durability
#8- POI shift and repeatability / effect on accuracy ( if this is even considered)

My personal thought for your scenerio, especially since you are considering varmiting/hunting, the order should be more like:

#1- POI shift and repeatability / effect on accuracy
#2- Weight
#3- Sound suppression
#4- Durability (All 3 of the options listed will be plenty durable for what you want to do.)
#5- Availability
#6- Price
(I left connection method and company off, since you have already decided on that.)

The Omega would still be number one out of your options no matter which list you use. It is more versatile than the others and also the quietest of the three (in theory, waiting on 3rd party testing still). One tax stamp for multiple hosts/calibers is a great thing.

That being said, make sure you test POA/POI shift on every rifle you attach the can to and make sure it is repeatable. If you swap out the anchor brake for a flat cap to shorten the Omega, you will need to test POA/POI again. Same thing applies if you switch from the ASR mount to a direct thread (maybe save some weight on your hunting rig).

A customer has an Omega headed this way, so hopefully I will be able to shoot it side by side with the Saker 762 I have been running for the last year. Be interesting to hear them head to head and see if the DB claims live up to the hype.

Ditto, I'd love to hear his insight.

Wait, you guys probably meant the SME......

witchking777
02-18-2015, 12:47 PM
If you are set on one of those three, I have to agree with the above and say the Omega is a no brainer. For most non LE/Mil folks, I think the common order of importance on suppressors goes something like this:

#1- Sound suppression
#2- Weight
#3- Price
#4- Availability
#6- Connection method
#7- Durability
#8- POI shift and repeatability / effect on accuracy ( if this is even considered)

My personal thought for your scenerio, especially since you are considering varmiting/hunting, the order should be more like:

#2- Weight
#3- Sound suppression
#4- Durability (All 3 of the options listed will be plenty durable for what you want to do.)
#5- Availability
#6- Price
(I left connection method and company off, since you have already decided on that.)

The Omega would still be number one out of your options no matter which list you use. It is more versatile than the others and also the quietest of the three (in theory, waiting on 3rd party testing still). One tax stamp for multiple hosts/calibers is a great thing.

That being said, make sure you test POA/POI shift on every rifle you attach the can to and make sure it is repeatable. If you swap out the anchor brake for a flat cap to shorten the Omega, you will need to test POA/POI again. Same thing applies if you switch from the ASR mount to a direct thread (maybe save some weight on your hunting rig).

A customer has an Omega headed this way, so hopefully I will be able to shoot it side by side with the Saker 762 I have been running for the last year. Be interesting to hear them head to head and see if the DB claims live up to the hype.

Wow! Thanks for the good info!

BWT
02-18-2015, 01:12 PM

#1- Sound suppression
#2- Weight
#3- Price
#4- Availability
#6- Connection method
#7- Durability

#2- Weight
#3- Sound suppression
#5- Availability
#6- Price

I don't know that I'd 100% agree with priorities assigned but that is good info.

Your priorities may vary.

ETA: Silencers have very little resale value given the pace of development and associated NFA process. I'd put durability way up there because it's essentially a life long investment.

HCM
02-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Durability and that lifetime investment are the only reason I'm hesitating on getting the Omega versus the Saker.

They are both modular, allowing for a variety of Mount systems and caps and silencer co-is a solid company. Whichever one I end up with I plan on running the ASR/spec war mounts.

LittleLebowski
02-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Durability and that lifetime investment are the only reason I'm hesitating on getting the Omega versus the Saker.

They are both modular, allowing for a variety of Mount systems and caps and silencer co-is a solid company. Whichever one I end up with I plan on running the ASR/spec war mounts.

The Saker has full Stellite baffles and a much broader range of compatibility with different mounts. The Omega only has the first baffle being constructed from Stellite. However, SilencerCo is a kickass company....

Sean O
02-18-2015, 02:34 PM
ETA: Silencers have very little resale value given the pace of development and associated NFA process. I'd put durability way up there because it's essentially a life long investment.

I completely agree. The second list was the way I see it for his circumstances/options. I think any one of those three will do well for his uses durability wise. If he had mentioned SBR's, FA or something of that sort it would be much higher on the list. Which leads me to-

This is exactly why I will still be happy with the Saker. It is overbuilt for my uses honestly, but I like that. If you pan on ASR mount no matter what, I think you will be happy either way.

For those of you shooting 6.8, watch your barrel length as that is one of the biggest differences between the two from what I have seen. Silencerco is telling people that the Omega is limited to a 16" barrel, where the Saker 762 is rated down to 7" barrel.

rob_s
02-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Silencer durability means exactly nil to virtually all commercial buyers, especially those for whom this is a first-time purchase, and even moreso again for those for whom this is their only experience with silencers.

If you want durable, install brake-mounts instead of hider mounts on the guns that get shot suppressed the most.

if 90% of American gun owners don't ever take their guns out of the safe, 99% of silencer owners never take their silencers out of the safe after the first couple of outings. For the few that DO use them frequently, they tend to be hunters in states where suppressed hunting is legal, meaning you're talking about 5-20 rounds a year for a lifetime, all slow-fire (if you can call a single shot on an animal "slow").

People *think* they're going to use the shit out of these things, and they just don't. Go to any three-day carbine course and count the number of people using a can on TD1, and check again on TD3. it will be drastically reduced. Hell, most suppressors didn't make it through an entire drills night when I was running out local drills because the shooter took it off.

These are very, very use-specific pieces of equipment. Trying to associate too much logic and reason with an illogical and unreasonable purchase can lead to heartache.

For me, having owned a few cans, I want light, short, and multi-use.

BWT
02-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Silencer durability means exactly nil to virtually all commercial buyers, especially those for whom this is a first-time purchase, and even moreso again for those for whom this is their only experience with silencers.

If you want durable, install brake-mounts instead of hider mounts on the guns that get shot suppressed the most.

if 90% of American gun owners don't ever take their guns out of the safe, 99% of silencer owners never take their silencers out of the safe after the first couple of outings. For the few that DO use them frequently, they tend to be hunters in states where suppressed hunting is legal, meaning you're talking about 5-20 rounds a year for a lifetime, all slow-fire (if you can call a single shot on an animal "slow").

People *think* they're going to use the shit out of these things, and they just don't. Go to any three-day carbine course and count the number of people using a can on TD1, and check again on TD3. it will be drastically reduced. Hell, most suppressors didn't make it through an entire drills night when I was running out local drills because the shooter took it off.

These are very, very use-specific pieces of equipment. Trying to associate too much logic and reason with an illogical and unreasonable purchase can lead to heartache.

For me, having owned a few cans, I want light, short, and multi-use.

You're okay making that assumption. I'm not, thus, my advice. No big deal.

The Saker has full Stellite baffles and a much broader range of compatibility with different mounts. The Omega only has the first baffle being constructed from Stellite. However, SilencerCo is a kickass company....

I'd agree with this sentiment. I do think the Omega is neat looking, functional, and I am interested in the reviews from 3rd parties. However, I don't think there is a perfect solution.

This is exactly why I will still be happy with the Saker. It is overbuilt for my uses honestly, but I like that. If you pan on ASR mount no matter what, I think you will be happy either way.

For those of you shooting 6.8, watch your barrel length as that is one of the biggest differences between the two from what I have seen. Silencerco is telling people that the Omega is limited to a 16" barrel, where the Saker 762 is rated down to 7" barrel.

I think that's why I'd caution research and durability. At this point, I'd go with a no-nonsense warranty wise company with a history of positive civilian consumer (ETA 2: ) experiences (I would count on your mount being obsolete and no longer in use within five years, so you'll want a company with a reputation of bending over backwards to take care of prior customers. Just look at 18 tooth mounts with AAC and other companies that have updated their attachment methods), I'd recommend 7.62 to give you flexibility (I'd want it rated for 300 WM, most good 7.62 cans meter as good or better with 5.56 platforms and you also get decreased back pressure), I'd recommend a QD option, I'd recommend good to great DB numbers, lightweight as you can get, flash hider and muzzle break mounts (who knows how your tastes will change), and I'd recommend a fully welded core of good material.

However, and I'm not (ETA 2: being; stupid smart phone) vascious when I say this; I'm no expert.

I'd wait on Sean, legitimately. Heck, P.M. the guy if he doesn't reply here. You're looking to spend 1,200-1,600 by the time you buy mounts, transfer fees, taxes, etc., and the silencer itself.

ETA: There are guys that have had a heck of a time getting mounts or a suppressor compatible with their old mounts out companies such as AAC. This is a package deal, there's a lot of perspectives I would look at when considering.

witchking777
02-18-2015, 06:47 PM
To add to the mix the Specwar is out,a guy at SilencerCo recommended the Omega to me based upon what my uses would be,he said they're coming out with a 5.56 endcap for the Omega,making it shorter(who needs an AnchorBrake on 5.56?),which by far makes it the lightest,shortest,and quietest 7.62 suppressor on the market for 5.56. I believe I'll pull the trigger on the Omega,thanks for everyone's input!

BWT
02-18-2015, 08:02 PM
To add to the mix the Specwar is out,a guy at SilencerCo recommended the Omega to me based upon what my uses would be,he said they're coming out with a 5.56 endcap for the Omega,making it shorter(who needs an AnchorBrake on 5.56?),which by far makes it the lightest,shortest,and quietest 7.62 suppressor on the market for 5.56. I believe I'll pull the trigger on the Omega,thanks for everyone's input!

Sounds good to me. It looks like a solid performer and Silencerco fits the mold of a quality company. They took care of customers when the Sparrow was upgraded and started a NFA related rights group (American Silencer Association). They are one of the best, IMHO.

I've always heard good things about them.

SLG
02-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Without knowing the actual intended use (did I miss it?), I would also look at the new cans from TBAC. Very short and light, good sound suppression, great precision. The Omega is a nice can, but way heavier than i want to hang off my gun. Your use may dictate otherwise.

LittleLebowski
02-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Without knowing the actual intended use (did I miss it?), I would also look at the new cans from TBAC. Very short and light, good sound suppression, great precision. The Omega is a nice can, but way heavier than i want to hang off my gun. Your use may dictate otherwise.

I probably should have talked with you before buying my Saker.....

dookie1481
02-19-2015, 02:23 AM

Which one? The Omega is 14 oz and has a major company backing it up. The only lighter TB cans I saw on that site were listed as 100% Ti.

Sub-optimal for a general purpose 5.56 can, IMO.

rob_s
02-19-2015, 05:21 AM
Which one? The Omega is 14 oz and has a major company backing it up. The only lighter TB cans I saw on that site were listed as 100% Ti.

If someone is actually going to out thousands of rounds through it, I agree with you. Not many people are going to do that. It also seems that Thunder Beast is oriented towards the precision market, which would generally indicate a lower and slower volume of fire.

HCM
02-19-2015, 08:15 AM
The modularity of both the SAKER and the Omega makes that a great choice for a private purchase suppressor. For me, It really will come down two which is more important: the greater durability of the SAKER or saving the 6 ounces of weight difference between the 20 ounce SAKER and the 14 ounce omega.

Sean O
02-19-2015, 04:51 PM
I probably should have talked with you before buying my Saker.....

I really wouldn't worry about it too much honestly. The Saker is a great can and a little more versatile. Where the TBAC really rocks to me is precision. Super minimal POI shift, and that shift is always the same. I love the 30BA on my 700 and do not even need to re-zero when I take it on and off. The shift is less then the adjustment on the turrets. Their new CB series is lighter and quieter. From my understanding they are getting the same DB ratings as the 30BA with their 30CB7- better brake, 2 inches shorter and 3 oz lighter.

As far as the large company backing, I understand that concern and originally had it as well. Zak ( one of the founders ) put my fears to ease, and every time I deal with them I am blown away. Their customer service is second to none, and I believe they will be around a VERY long time. If you aren't running mag dumps on SBRs and are willing to spend the money, TBAC makes a simply amazing product.

SLG
02-19-2015, 09:43 PM

Apparently, I did miss the intended use. For a dedicated 556, I would likely go with a SF. I really like the TBAC stuff for what it was really intended for: precision. It also happens to be reasonably priced, well made, light weight and with good sound suppression. My only real experience with heavy duty 556 cans are the SF ones though, and for a fighting type carbine, that would be my first choice.

dookie1481
02-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Apparently, I did miss the intended use. For a dedicated 556, I would likely go with a SF. I really like the TBAC stuff for what it was really intended for: precision. It also happens to be reasonably priced, well made, light weight and with good sound suppression. My only real experience with heavy duty 556 cans are the SF ones though, and for a fighting type carbine, that would be my first choice.

My SOCOM556-RC form 3 is pending, good to know I made a wise choice :D

TBH, I bought it because I got 65% off. I probably would have gotten a Saker otherwise.

PumpGunGuy
02-22-2015, 07:51 AM
A really basic question here. When they say TBAC is a precision rifle suppressor, does that imply that it is less useful at rapid rates of fire? If so, how rapid is rapid? As someone who buys all their own ammo, hosing 7.62 or even 5.56 is a rare and brief event just based on the cost.

I've been looking for suppressor info for quite a while, and this is one of the best threads I've seen.

Thanks

SLG
02-22-2015, 08:24 AM
I wish Sean would jump in here somewhere...

TBAC makes a can for full auto use. I have no experience with it. IMO, TBAC cans are best when used for civilian sporting purposes. Hunting (5", 7 oz can) Precision rifle competition (7 or 9" version), or other specific, non fighting purposes. That's not to say that they are inappropriate for fighting (by fighting, I'm talking about heavy duty use in general, where you don't get to baby your stuff) just that I am unaware of any military tests they have been run through.

On the precision side, their cans exibit very little POI shift. When they do shift, it is repeatable. They tend to not only boost velocity a bit (like many cans), but they also tend to make the gun/ammo more accurate, though often only a little bit.

edited to try and answer your question: I don't know how rapid, rapid is. On a precision rifle, in competition, you're unlikely to fire more than 10 rds at a time (within a minute or two, tops). I've fired 20 rds in 5 minutes, multiple times, without any issues, and doubt that you'll ever have a problem with that rate, though sustained for how long, I don't know. The gun needs to cool at some point anyway, at least mine do since I don't run very heavy contours usually.

JM Campbell
02-22-2015, 09:11 AM
I looked at two Thunderbeast cans yesterday. They looked very nice, I also checked out one of their small moderators and decided it wasn't what I wanted. I'm not into long range shooting at this time and will definitely look in to the 7-9" TB if I do.

I had the the Saker 762, Saker 556, Specwar 762 and Omega lined up on a mat to compare. The Omega was the lightest of them all, and after removing the front recoil cap (flat cap will be available soon according to Silencer Shop rep) will be even shorter. The baffled recoil cap does nothing for sound suppression according to the SS rep, only helps recoil on 308 and magnum calibers. The ASR mount was removed fairly simply by tool and the direct thread attachment then can be installed, this also creates a small overall length of can. With the ASR mount and front cap removed it appear it would be easier to clean the suppressor if needed, I did not how ever discuss the appropriate way to clean if needed. I'll ask in 3-5 months when I return to pick mine up.

I think with the weight savings, it will not be as much of an issue using it on LW barreled riffles 14.2oz vs 24oz of my current specwar 9.8oz is one heck of a diet.
I regret not taking some pictures when I was there with the 4 cans lined up and with the Omega disassembled. The SS rep said hands down the Omega is the quietest 7.62 suppressor for 300blk (which I shoot alot of). I'll see if that is true in 3-5 months. I did also check out the surefire offerings, I chose not to go that route due to the amount of ASR mounts that I have on my other rifles.

rob_s
02-22-2015, 11:15 AM
That baffled end cap on the Omega is probably my biggest discount meant in that can. I just wish that, if they were going to make the can that long, they'd do so with something useful like one more sound-suppressing baffle. Yes, removing it will make for an even more compact can, but I personally think that 7" is the sweet spot for OAL.

The only reason I'm considering the omega over my original choice of the reaper is because:Silencerco>SAS in my mind, in part also because:more-mount-options and because:cheaper.

http://www.suppressedarmament.com/762-suppressors/reapert.html

LittleLebowski
02-22-2015, 11:25 AM
With the ASR mount and front cap removed it appear it would be easier to clean the suppressor if needed, I did not how ever discuss the appropriate way to clean if needed. I'll ask in 3-5 months when I return to pick mine up.

Sealed unit, just like the others.

GJM
02-22-2015, 11:27 AM
When the dust settles, to help those of us uninitiated in the way of the suppressor, can someone post a URL to the exact TB suppressor with recommended hardware for use both on a precision rifle and as a general use suppressor, along with the same info for the Omega?

JM Campbell
02-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Omega comes with direct thread attachment and choice of Quick Disconnect mount.
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/silencerco-omega/

Thunderbeast option I was looking at. I can not and will not assume that this is the "ONE" SLG was speaking of, just the one I was looking at to purchase.
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/thunder-beast-30cb7/