PDA

View Full Version : Which revolver to purchase?

Nephrology
02-14-2015, 02:53 PM
So, long story short, I am planning to buy a gun to celebrate a recent landmark professional achievement of mine that I probably won't equal for many years to come. This will be gun I will want to hold on to for many years and to enjoy equally for sentimental value and its value as a shooter. I almost certainly won't carry this gun, but would like to be able to use it in local matches just for kicks. For this reason, I think I've settled on some kind of revolver. I want it to have roughly the following features :

1. Durable and reliable, of course.
2. Chambered in .357
3. 6 shot cylinder (or more)
4. Sights I can easily see (Target sights at a minimum - fiber optics or some other high-visibility front sight might be nice too)
5. Quality craftsmanship
6. can be readily found for at or under $800-ish... I can be persuaded to go up a little bit, however.
7. No lock, dangit!
8. Trigger that is either very nice (i.e. my Model 19) or can be readily made serviceable.

I currently already own a pinned and recessed Model 19 as well as a less exciting but more practical Model 442 that I carry pretty often. For this reason I am leaning towards a 586 or 686, but the Ruger GP-100 Match Champion seems to really tick all the boxes too... any thoughts?

RevolverRob
02-14-2015, 02:59 PM
GP-100 Match Champion or 686 SSR...but that has a lock. So GP-100 Match Champion.

jh9
02-14-2015, 03:09 PM
So, long story short, I am planning to buy a gun to celebrate a recent landmark professional achievement of mine that I probably won't equal for many years to come. This will be gun I will want to hold on to for many years and to enjoy equally for sentimental value and its value as a shooter. I almost certainly won't carry this gun, but would like to be able to use it in local matches just for kicks. For this reason, I think I've settled on some kind of revolver. I want it to have roughly the following features :

1. Durable and reliable, of course.
2. Chambered in .357
3. 6 shot cylinder (or more)
4. Sights I can easily see (Target sights at a minimum - fiber optics or some other high-visibility front sight might be nice too)
5. Quality craftsmanship
6. can be readily found for at or under $800-ish... I can be persuaded to go up a little bit, however.
7. No lock, dangit!
8. Trigger that is either very nice (i.e. my Model 19) or can be readily made serviceable.

I currently already own a pinned and recessed Model 19 as well as a less exciting but more practical Model 442 that I carry pretty often. For this reason I am leaning towards a 586 or 686, but the Ruger GP-100 Match Champion seems to really tick all the boxes too... any thoughts?

Thoughts on the two bolded:

The no lock requirement is going to remove a lot of convenient options, like the interchangeable front sight system on the 686ssr and 627pro. You can get that as a gunsmith add on, but it will almost certainly blow your $800 budget.

It also limits you to older guns. With 686s, that puts you in pre-MIM territory except for the 686-5. Pre-MIM spare parts, as it came up in the other thread, are getting harder and harder to find. (I gave out my last sear spring for a pre-MIM hammer a couple months ago; midway and brownells have been out of stock for months. There's no guarantee they'll get stock in the future.) If you actually want to use this in competition with frequency the growing lack of parts is something you should consider.

post-MIM parts are still easy to find and should be for the foreseeable future.

edit: I like my 686-5. These are pre-lock with the easy to find MIM parts and are generally of great quality since they were made in the late 90s when the CNC tooling (bought during the Tomkins era) was still new. (That observation was made on benos; I'm just repeating it here because it mirrors the experience I've had.) An option might be to find a used one in great shape on gunbroker then have a smith install an SDM fiber front sight.

Nephrology
02-14-2015, 03:12 PM
I had forgotten about the 686 SSR. Do you think my concerns about the lock are overblown? The gun will almost certainly never be carried. That said I have not been impressed by the build quality of newer smiths. Thoughts on that? I agree that otherwise the Ruger seems like the gun for me based on my criteria.

edit: I should emphasize that my primary criteria is that the gun I buy is *nice*. I want to be happy owning it 20, 30 years down the line.

jh9
02-14-2015, 03:37 PM
I had forgotten about the 686 SSR. Do you think my concerns about the lock are overblown? The gun will almost certainly never be carried. That said I have not been impressed by the build quality of newer smiths. Thoughts on that? I agree that otherwise the Ruger seems like the gun for me based on my criteria.

On a full size steel gun that you won't carry? Wouldn't bother with the plug or think twice about the lock.

My 627pro was built in 2012 and is well put together. It has a very light rusting problem on the frame. Frekles mostly. You need a light and close inspection to see it. S&W offered to take it back but I never got around to sending it in. I might have it cerakoted. Everything else about it is great, though. The action cleaned up nicely. The SA is about 2lbs from the factory with a very crisp break. I've done nothing to the engagement surfaces on the hammer or trigger. The DA is nice and light, and a little polish on the trigger/hammer/rebound's frame surfaces has given me a very nice DA. It will light off foreign (hard) primers even with what looks like a Wolff Type-2 spring (OEM). It's been my main USPSA gun since the new revolver rules (2013).

My 3" 686+ (talo run) is great so far. The ratchets on the extrator had whiskers that were probably the result of a dull cutter, but came off easily enough. Everything else seems nice. The SA is probably under 2lbs from the factory and breaks VERY cleanly. The DA was rough but with some polishing is smoothing out. Once I get the cylinder cut for moonclips this is going to be my carry gun that occasionally shoots steel challege.

So...both had minor cosmetic issues, but the fit and finish is very nice. The actions in SA were both amazing. The actions in DA cleaned up nicely (the pro more so than the talo gun, but I've had more time on it). Gaps, crowns, bore, barrel clocking, etc were all exactly as they should be.

By way of contrast my Bangor era 25-5 was rough as a cobb and both my lear-siegler era guns (681, 64) needed mechanical help when I got them.

If you know where to look, they all have warts.

The GP-100 match champion I handed was nice. I wouldn't consider it an easy button for getting a gun "right".

If you want *nice* I'd get a S&W that's put together correctly and eventually send it off to one of the big names like Randy Lee or Tom K and let them put their mark on it.

Hizzie
02-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Ruger GP100

Match Champion: SS, FO front sight, Novak plain rear and 4" tube

Wiley Clapp I: SS, FO front sight, novak plain rear and 3" tube

Wiley Clapp II: blued, gold bead front, Novak plain rear and 3" tube

WCII / SP101 WC / WCII
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Revolvers/1406822184_zps36bd6811.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Revolvers/1406822184_zps36bd6811.jpg.html)

Gold bead Novaks
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Revolvers/1406822189_zps3a19a99a.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Revolvers/1406822189_zps3a19a99a.jpg.html)

jh9
02-14-2015, 04:10 PM

Anyone that doesn't dig a 3" blue steel magnum with a gold bead front sight probably has a signed copy of Das Kapital.

imp1295
02-14-2015, 04:15 PM
I'd have to second Hizzie's recommendation of the Wiley Clapp II. I don't have a brace of them, but it's a beautiful piece and I too bought mine as a bit of an heirloom piece to use hard and expect it to last longer than I will.

WDW
02-14-2015, 04:45 PM
I'd get a like new pre lock 686. Plenty of them available.

jetfire
02-14-2015, 04:55 PM
I think your fears about the lock are a little overblown, and I'd recommend either a 686SSR or a GP100 Match Champion with the adjustable rear sight.

Dagga Boy
02-14-2015, 05:01 PM

edit: I should emphasize that my primary criteria is that the gun I buy is *nice*. I want to be happy owning it 20, 30 years down the line.

The 686 SSR is really the gun that got me back into revolvers, and it is sort of a love hate relationship. First, the hate. Hate that it has the lock and a hole where it's soul leaks out. I Hate that it is full of MIM stuff that doesn't look right (including a transfer bar instead of a hammer nose...those come on Ruger Tanks ;-) ).
Now the rest....I shoot the crap out of it and it just goes bang. I changed to a front Fiber optic in a couple of minutes with no tools, it hits where I point it and feels like an extension of my hand (the very expensive Nill grips help in this department). I dry practice with it more than anything and the action just keeps getting better. It is cheap to shoot and runs almost exclusively on easy to find USA or American Eagle 130gr jacketed round nose. It would make a great carry gun and feels more like a 3" K than a 4" L frame. Overall, the thing is a winner even if it is really the "Souless" revolver in my very large armory of bad ass wheel guns.

Jared
02-14-2015, 05:33 PM
You could just look at the plain old GP100. The newer GP's seem to have much better out of the box triggers than the old ones that I remember from back in the day. I'm liking mine a lot, and this is coming from a guy that, like 5 years ago, wouldn't touch a Ruger DA revo.

Lon
02-14-2015, 06:09 PM
More votes for the 686 SSR of the WC II. I liked my SSR. I just disabled the lock. Had an OK trigger to start with, after a trigger job it was great. I replaced the front sight with a FO. Woulda replaced the rear with a extreme duty rear if I kept it.

I'm seriously thinking about adding a WCII to my collection.

mtnbkr
02-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Honestly, if you're going for "heirloom quality", I'd look for an N-frame S&W (Models 28 or 27). They can still be found for less than $800 if you're patient.

You can buy a GP100 any day of the week, this is a special occasion.

Chris

RevolverRob
02-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Honestly, if you're going for "heirloom quality", I'd look for an N-frame S&W (Models 28 or 27). They can still be found for less than $800 if you're patient.

Chris

There is a lot of truth to this. I would even look for a .38/44 Heavy Duty as an alternative too. All the Smiths made before about 1960 are really impressive for the checkering and finishing.

Unfortunately, I don't think I would run a M27/28 or .38/44 HD in competition. At least not regularly.

Wheeler
02-15-2015, 12:12 AM
There is a lot of truth to this. I would even look for a .38/44 Heavy Duty as an alternative too. All the Smiths made before about 1960 are really impressive for the checkering and finishing.

Unfortunately, I don't think I would run a M27/28 or .38/44 HD in competition. At least not regularly.

As soon as I get some decent speedloaders and holders, I plan to run my M28 just for the heck of it. ;-)

JHC
02-15-2015, 01:27 PM

Chris

That's what hit me last year when I came across a 4" Model 28 no dash last year and snapped it up.

Wondering Beard
02-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Ruger GP100

Match Champion: SS, FO front sight, Novak plain rear and 4" tube

Wiley Clapp I: SS, FO front sight, novak plain rear and 3" tube

WCII / SP101 WC / WCII
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Revolvers/1406822184_zps36bd6811.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Revolvers/1406822184_zps36bd6811.jpg.html)

Gold bead Novaks
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Revolvers/1406822189_zps3a19a99a.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Revolvers/1406822189_zps3a19a99a.jpg.html)

What load are those WC Rugers sighted in for?

Nephrology
02-15-2015, 01:50 PM
What load are those WC Rugers sighted in for?

and how readily available are they?

The suggestion of getting a model 28 is very tempting. The B&M gun stores nearby are not the best for selection or prices so I will surely be buying online. Lucky to have a good tabletop FFL nearby. Besides classifieds/gunbroker, are there any distributors that get surplus Smiths in stock on a semi-regular basis? Otherwise the 686 SSR or Match Champion seem like really solid choices. It'd be nice to stick with Smiths for consistency of ergonomics, but I am originally from CT so the Rugers hold some sentimental appeal as well :)

Wish I could just buy all of em!

Hizzie
02-15-2015, 02:21 PM
The sights are closer with 125's but shoot pretty close to POA with 158's.

Clapps are readily available. Apparently Talo and Ruger decided to ignore the initial 2000 and 2500 unit limits on the SS and blued Clapps. If I were a collector I'd have been pissed off that they seem to have double (at least) the advertised production.

jetfire
02-15-2015, 03:40 PM
The sights are closer with 125's but shoot pretty close to POA with 158's.

Clapps are readily available. Apparently Talo and Ruger decided to ignore the initial 2000 and 2500 unit limits on the SS and blued Clapps. If I were a collector I'd have been pissed off that they seem to have double (at least) the advertised production.

My fixed sighted GP100s Match Champions all shot point of aim with 130 grain FMJ and/or 125 gr JHP. I don't recall what my WC Gp100 did, but my SP101 WC with the similar sight set up shoots point of aim with 148 grain full wadcutters.

Robinson
02-15-2015, 03:44 PM
I have two recent production Model 586s and they are very nice guns. I'd say the build quality is excellent. They were both tuned up by a local gunsmith whom I trust and they have excellent triggers. Plus I like that they are the square butt configuration. Just another option to consider.

Wheeler
02-15-2015, 04:03 PM
and how readily available are they?

The suggestion of getting a model 28 is very tempting. The B&M gun stores nearby are not the best for selection or prices so I will surely be buying online. Lucky to have a good tabletop FFL nearby. Besides classifieds/gunbroker, are there any distributors that get surplus Smiths in stock on a semi-regular basis? Otherwise the 686 SSR or Match Champion seem like really solid choices. It'd be nice to stick with Smiths for consistency of ergonomics, but I am originally from CT so the Rugers hold some sentimental appeal as well :)

Wish I could just buy all of em!

If you bide your time and look around you can find a nice M28 in the $500 range. M27's will get closer to $800, both will go for more if they have all the goodies, numbered grips, box, docs, cleaning rod, etc.

Tamara
02-15-2015, 04:10 PM

This guy did. Got his .38/44 all souped up at some shop down Louisiana way to make it a better Bullseye gun, too. You'd have to shoot a lot of lead .38 competition loads to kill an N-frame...

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/3844heavyduty_zps59dd67c1.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/Tamara_Keel/media/3844heavyduty_zps59dd67c1.jpg.html)

JR1572
02-15-2015, 04:22 PM
I'm trying to decide between a new no-lock 340, a 640 pro, or a Wiley Clapp SP101...

JR1572

Totem Polar
02-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Re: "heirloom quality", one of the great things about having simultaneous crushes on two specific platforms from the time I was a kid is perspective. To wit: Loving both 1911s and wheelguns. I was impulse-eyeballing a lightweight operator a couple of weeks ago; about a grand inclusive out the door, plus reportedly a good idea to drop a bit of tuning and parts on it. You can get a lot of revolver for +/- a grand out the door and an optional 4-8 bills of fluffing.

(for that matter, even off-the-rack pieces like the new BCM/Wilson collab make the idea of sending my old 3" RB 65 off to Heirloom/Burton look like a blue light sale at K-mart by way of comparison. I love dinking around with medium-bore wheelguns!)

Sorry for the ramble; carry on.

Nephrology
02-16-2015, 06:18 AM
I have two recent production Model 586s and they are very nice guns. I'd say the build quality is excellent. They were both tuned up by a local gunsmith whom I trust and they have excellent triggers. Plus I like that they are the square butt configuration. Just another option to consider.

How do they compare to older smiths?

Robinson
02-16-2015, 08:43 AM
How do they compare to older smiths?

They have the lock and I would prefer them without. They have a frame-mounted firing pin and the modern rear sight assembly.

They have a nice deep blued finish. Not to be compared with an early Model 27 or the like, but the finish is very good. I may send one of them to S&W for a nickel finish at some point, or maybe not. I bought them to shoot and looks are secondary.

Out of the box, the triggers were smooth with a very good single action pull. Double action was a bit heavy. After some work by a gunsmith who knows S&W revolvers, the triggers are fantastic.

Operationally I would compare them favorably to an older 586 I owned a while back. It's just like owning a classic 586 pretty much except for the damned lock, and I don't let that bother me.

Nephrology
02-16-2015, 08:53 AM
They have the lock and I would prefer them without. They have a frame-mounted firing pin and the modern rear sight assembly.

They have a nice deep blued finish. Not to be compared with an early Model 27 or the like, but the finish is very good. I may send one of them to S&W for a nickel finish at some point, or maybe not. I bought them to shoot and looks are secondary.

Out of the box, the triggers were smooth with a very good single action pull. Double action was a bit heavy. After some work by a gunsmith who knows S&W revolvers, the triggers are fantastic.

Operationally I would compare them favorably to an older 586 I owned a while back. It's just like owning a classic 586 pretty much except for the damned lock, and I don't let that bother me.

Gotcha. Thanks for the input.

After all of this, I think I am leaning pretty heavily towards the 686SSR. Where would be a good place to get one? Would ordering one via my local Cabela's be a good move? The internet suggests they stock them for ~$750.

Robinson
02-16-2015, 09:04 AM
I had a 686SSR for a while and they are nice -- would actually make a good carry gun. For actual shooting I prefer the full underlug on the 586/686 but that's just a personal preference. I also like square butt guns over round butt, also simply a preference. I say if you like the SSR get one -- it's hard to go wrong there.

And $750 sounds like a pretty good price to me for the 686SSR.

SteveK
02-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Smith 586. Because Tom Threepersons didn't carry stainless.

Nephrology
02-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Looks like I was wrong about the price - that must've been for a used model that moved a while ago. Cabela's says they sell them for $900 NIB. Think I can do better than that online? Considering shippng + FFL fees, etc...

Wheeler
02-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Looks like I was wrong about the price - that must've been for a used model that moved a while ago. Cabela's says they sell them for $900 NIB. Think I can do better than that online? Considering shippng + FFL fees, etc...

Cabela's is not known for their bargains. I'm pretty sure the 686 SSR at a LGS was in the high $600 range.

jetfire
02-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Cabelas sells at MSRP. You can find SSRs on Gunbroker for a lot less than 900 beans.

Nephrology
02-16-2015, 01:02 PM
Cabela's is not known for their bargains. I'm pretty sure the 686 SSR at a LGS was in the high $600 range.

Unfortunately all of my LGSes are as bad or worse than Cabela's. Are there any other online distributors that stock for less?

Cabelas sells at MSRP. You can find SSRs on Gunbroker for a lot less than 900 beans.

I've never used Gunbroker.... setting up an account seemed like a PITA. Is this also an unjustified concern?

WDW
02-16-2015, 01:09 PM
BudsGunShop is an excellent online dealer, often selling guns for hundreds of dollars less than MSRP or brick & mortar stores. I'd look there. They also have an make an offer feature. It usually saves you $50-$100.

JonInWA
02-16-2015, 01:15 PM
I'm a Ruger fan, so I suggest the GP100, in either 4" adjustable sight (blued or stainless), or Match Champion (either fixed/Novak or adjustable sight versions).

Alternatively, and I'm a little surprised no one else has mentioned this, a quality pre-owned Security Six (blued or stainless) (they're all good, but a later-production heavy barrel version might be slightly more appealing).

Best, Jon

jetfire
02-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately all of my LGSes are as bad or worse than Cabela's. Are there any other online distributors that stock for less?

I've never used Gunbroker.... setting up an account seemed like a PITA. Is this also an unjustified concern?

Once you get your account set up, Gunbroker is pretty straightforward. I've never been burned (fingers crossed) but it can be a little daunting for a first timer. I did a quick check and it looks like 686SSR's are going on Gunbroker for around 850. Match Champions are about 650-700.

jetfire
02-16-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm a Ruger fan, so I suggest the GP100, in either 4" adjustable sight (blued or stainless), or Match Champion (either fixed/Novak or adjustable sight versions).

Alternatively, and I'm a little surprised no one else has mentioned this, a quality pre-owned Security Six (blued or stainless) (they're all good, but a later-production heavy barrel version might be slightly more appealing).

Best, Jon

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about the Sixes. I've got two. I should really see if I can dig up a Speed Six or a 2.75 inch gun.

JHC
02-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about the Sixes. I've got two. I should really see if I can dig up a Speed Six or a 2.75 inch gun.

$380 Service Six 2.75" http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ruger-police-service-six-380.862701/

Dagga Boy
02-16-2015, 02:08 PM
I would agree with the "sixes" and a bunch of the other suggestions like the n frames. My key was the OP wanting to compete with it. I think the SSR or Match Champion are the best choices to jump in with very little work.

NEPAKevin
02-16-2015, 02:12 PM
I should really see if I can dig up a Speed Six or a 2.75 inch gun.

Had one that was cherry but sold it along with a 4" Security Six to a friend when I was in a 'I'm a gonna switch to all K-frames' mood. FWIW, I personally never cared for the feel of the 2-3/4 as it has the balance of a top heavy brick.

Dagga Boy
02-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Had one that was cherry but sold it along with a 4" Security Six to a friend when I was in a 'I'm a gonna switch to all K-frames' mood. FWIW, I personally never cared for the feel of the 2-3/4 as it has the balance of a top heavy brick.

As far as the Rugers go:

I like the Speed Six as a 2 3/4 and the Service Six in a 3". It took me forever to finally find a 3" Service Six. I will find a 2 3/4 Speed Six at some point as they are easier to locate. In a 4", hands down I am a GP100 guy and for a hard use snub, I carried a SP101 extensively.

Nephrology
02-16-2015, 05:26 PM
I would agree with the "sixes" and a bunch of the other suggestions like the n frames. My key was the OP wanting to compete with it. I think the SSR or Match Champion are the best choices to jump in with very little work.

Yeah, I mean, the competition angle would be nice simply because I already have a "nice older" revolver box checked with the Model 19. I could get the Model 19 worked up to be a pretty nice match gun if I sent it off to Clarke Customs or Cylinder and Slide, but I'd rather keep it as is.

How do the triggers on the Sixes compare tp the GP100/older K frames/686 SSR?

JonInWA
02-16-2015, 05:29 PM
A 3" Service Six is a huge find. I have both a 4" Security Six (stainless) and GP100 (blued) and like 'em both. My Security Six has the standard barrel (which by comparison with other contemporary revolvers is fairly heavy); I licked out in it coming with one of the OEM rear sight options, a plain black .140 wide notch; I replaced the front with a Millett Orange Bar.

I'd say the Security is the more "tunable" of the two, with a very smooth pull. My GP100, which has had a custom action job and spring set is considerably smoother than an out of the box one, but its still somewhat stagey compared to the Security Six.

I find the Security to be more "dynamic" from the draw to target acquisition, and the GP100 steadier and quicker with repeat shots.

I believe that in recent years Ruger has equipped the GP100 with a bit lighter OEM mainspring than they originally did in earlier production GP100s, making triggerpulls a bit lighter/easier without having to undergo a spring replacement/action job.

Best, Jon

jetfire
02-16-2015, 05:39 PM
A 3" Service Six is a huge find. I have both a 4" Security Six (stainless) and GP100 (blued) and like 'em both. My Security Six has the standard barrel (which by comparison with other contemporary revolvers is fairly heavy); I licked out in it coming with one of the OEM rear sight options, a plain black .140 wide notch; I replaced the front with a Millett Orange Bar.

I'd say the Security is the more "tunable" of the two, with a very smooth pull. My GP100, which has had a custom action job and spring set is considerably smoother than an out of the box one, but its still somewhat stagey compared to the Security Six.

I find the Security to be more "dynamic" from the draw to target acquisition, and the GP100 steadier and quicker with repeat shots.

I believe that in recent years Ruger has equipped the GP100 with a bit lighter OEM mainspring than they originally did in earlier production GP100s, making triggerpulls a bit lighter/easier without having to undergo a spring replacement/action job.

Best, Jon

There's a guy on Gunbroker right now trying to get 1100 beans for a USPS Inspector Speed Six. Good luck with that.

Dagga Boy
02-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I mean, the competition angle would be nice simply because I already have a "nice older" revolver box checked with the Model 19. I could get the Model 19 worked up to be a pretty nice match gun if I sent it off to Clarke Customs or Cylinder and Slide, but I'd rather keep it as is.

How do the triggers on the Sixes compare tp the GP100/older K frames/686 SSR?

Take that Model 19, put some stellar stocks on it and house it in some custom leather and enjoy it for exactly what it is. Get an SSR and beat it like a Glock. The Ruger triggers can be done well, but will always be different and stack different. Being you already have a 19, stick with the Smith action. For someone like Hizzie who has unloaded his Smith's (to a very good home) and gone Ruger across the board is a very smart move and he has no issues with the triggers and running them. I found recently with the Service Six I grabbed that has a good trigger that it was a little tougher for me to run consistently good as I spend a ton of dry practice time on my SSR or some other Smith revolver. That Service Six is capable of extremely good accuracy, but I would have to dedicate myself to it to capitalize on it.

WDW
02-16-2015, 08:38 PM
A nice 4" 586 would also fit the bill. I myself have an absolutely mint 4" 19-5 that needs some breakin' in...

Hizzie
02-16-2015, 08:40 PM
I still have two Smiths. I kept Grandpa's duty weapon (4" 66-2) and my first custom gun (642 massaged by Don Williams).

Dagga Boy
02-16-2015, 09:15 PM
I still have two Smiths. I kept Grandpa's duty weapon (4" 66-2) and my first custom gun (642 massaged by Don Williams).

So your holding out on me.....;)

Dagga Boy
02-16-2015, 11:21 PM
Smith 586. Because Tom Threepersons didn't carry stainless.

He likely carried this in his early years....Canadian Nothwest Mounted Police Colt 1909 in .45 Colt converted from .455 Eley.

Robinson
02-16-2015, 11:46 PM
A nice 4" 586 would also fit the bill.

You don't say... :)

Nephrology
02-17-2015, 12:50 AM
Take that Model 19, put some stellar stocks on it and house it in some custom leather and enjoy it for exactly what it is. Get an SSR and beat it like a Glock. The Ruger triggers can be done well, but will always be different and stack different. Being you already have a 19, stick with the Smith action. For someone like Hizzie who has unloaded his Smith's (to a very good home) and gone Ruger across the board is a very smart move and he has no issues with the triggers and running them. I found recently with the Service Six I grabbed that has a good trigger that it was a little tougher for me to run consistently good as I spend a ton of dry practice time on my SSR or some other Smith revolver. That Service Six is capable of extremely good accuracy, but I would have to dedicate myself to it to capitalize on it.

I have a pair of tung oil finished moradillo Ahrend stocks on the 19 - looking into a Milt Sparks PMK for leather :) so I am right there with ya. I also gave the internals a polishing with emery cloth and the trigger is smooth as butter now. I think you are right - I am going to go with the 686 SSR and love it for what it is. Definitely not going to baby it. Hoping to give it enough character for my (future) grandkids to appreciate when they learn to shoot with it.

GlockTard
03-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Well, you want a quality revolver, that leaves Ruger out! Older S&W N frame, Colt Trooper!

JDM
03-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Well, you want a quality revolver, that leaves Ruger out! Older S&W N frame, Colt Trooper!

Ruger revolvers are of poor quality?

Chuck Haggard
03-02-2015, 04:30 PM

No, it really doesn't.

Back up your statement with some facts or cease and desist.

Robinson
03-02-2015, 05:03 PM

I am a big fan of 4" S&W revolvers but I have owned a few Rugers and I never viewed them as being of poor quality. Good grief.

pblanc
03-03-2015, 09:51 AM
To say the Ruger GP100 is not a quality revolver is pure silliness to be disregarded.

GP100s are ultra-durable, reliable, and accurate. The Match Champion looks like a very nice revolver. My choice would be to buy a NIB stock GP100 .357 Magnum in stainless with adjustable rear sight and 4.2 inch barrel. They can be had for around $550-575.

Switch the front blade sight out. This can be done in your bedroom in under 2 minutes using nothing more than a chopstick. Hi-Viz sights are popular.

Use the rest of your budgeted money and have a good smith do an action job on it and camfer the cylinder if you desire. You might also wish to change the grip. I do not like the Hogue grip that the GP100 currently comes with but some people love it. My GP100 has the old style Lett grip that Ruger had to stop using when Mr. Lett died. Fortunately, a very good approximation to the Lett grip can be purchased from Altamont or from Ruger: http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_gp100.php

Or you could just replace it with the hardwood grip that comes on the Match Champion: http://shopruger.com/Ruger-GP100-Match-Champion-Grips/productinfo/19944/.

If you go this route I believe you can stay within your budget and have a revolver with a very nice action. Ruger triggers are better out of the box than they used to be. GP100 with tuned actions are every bit as smooth as a high-quality Smith IMO although the DA trigger pull might still be just a touch longer than on a 686. The gun will outlast both you and your offspring. And it won't have that damnable stupid lock.