PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Confederalism in Kurdistan: No Gun Controls, Libertarianism, No Taxes

cclaxton
02-12-2015, 11:24 AM
This is a very interesting social experiment in a form of Anarchy. No gun limits, no taxes, feminist rights, women warriors, and focus on ecology. I am not saying I am a supporter, but it will be interesting to see if it works.

http://www.cvltnation.com/anarchists-vs-isis-the-revolution-in-syria-nobodys-talking-about/ (http://www.cvltnation.com/anarchists-vs-isis-the-revolution-in-syria-nobodys-talking-about/)

Excerpt:
"In Rojava, men who beat their wives face total ostracism from the community, making their lives in a highly social, connected society virtually impossible. Instead of a police force and jails, 'peace committees' in each municipality work to defuse the cycles of inter-family revenge killings by consensual agreements between both sides – and it works."

Cody

RoyGBiv
02-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Interesting? Certainly.

Applicable to the First World? I'm leaning toward unlikely, but will strive to keep an open mind.

Alpha Sierra
02-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Never mind, did some more digging and did not like what I found.

Peally
02-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Anarchy isn't really much better than the opposite. It may work there (who knows) but it sure wouldn't fit in the 1st world.

Alpha Sierra
02-12-2015, 01:27 PM
I don't know that I would call that anarchism. More like some sort of proto-marxism

Suvorov
02-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Things like individual liberty an egalitarian ideals flow like a river during revolutions but somehow quickly disappear once power has been secured. The fact that they are Marxist in general ideology only makes this more likely.

cclaxton
02-12-2015, 03:55 PM
I don't see where anybody gets Marxism out of this.
I have copied the Constitution here:
http://civiroglu.net/the-constitution-of-the-rojava-cantons/

The right of self-defense is fundamental to their charter.
Constitutions do not necessarily demand compliance by those in power.

Marxism requires the common ownership of all property and resources. This is the opposite.
They talk about the right to local governance, not State governance.

We don't have to compare what they have with anything else...this could be something new and different.
The real question is whether they can stop corruption and prevent warlords from getting a foothold.
Cody

Peally
02-12-2015, 04:13 PM
It's a Syrian civil war, if they actually stick to their constitution and make a healthy moral state out of it I'll eat my own shoe. As Suvorov mentioned, there's a huge difference between the honorable ideals a revolution hopes for and what the (very frequently crappier) results are.

Kyle Reese
02-12-2015, 04:18 PM
None of this amounts to a pile of dried mule dung if the Islamic State wins. I doubt the Kurds want to discuss the finer points of egalitarianism while they're being prepped for beheading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Malamute
02-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Syria was the focus of the article, but its not the only place Kurds are living or fighting. They have a fairly strong presence in Iraq, and seem very open to market economy there, despite the leftist rhetoric of their Turkish (PKK) cousins. Groups of Iraqi Kurds went to Kobane to reinforce the Syrian Kurds and others that were fighting IS.

None of this amounts to a pile of dried mule dung if the Islamic State wins. I doubt the Kurds want to discuss the finer points of egalitarianism while they're being prepped for beheading.

Good point. Kurds seem more interested in dealing with them than differences in political or religous ideologies. As far as I know, they are generally less interested in religous differences, even when IS isnt the formost issue. The article may be stretching the implications of their tolerance and political practices. Pragmatic may be more to the point.

Alpha Sierra
02-12-2015, 04:33 PM
I don't see where anybody gets Marxism out of this.
I have copied the Constitution here:
http://civiroglu.net/the-constitution-of-the-rojava-cantons/

The right of self-defense is fundamental to their charter.
Constitutions do not necessarily demand compliance by those in power.

Marxism requires the common ownership of all property and resources. This is the opposite.
They talk about the right to local governance, not State governance.

We don't have to compare what they have with anything else...this could be something new and different.
The real question is whether they can stop corruption and prevent warlords from getting a foothold.
Cody
I saw the right to collective self defense. If you would be so kind, point out where I missed the individual one.

And there there are these gems:

All persons have the right

1. to personal security in a peaceful and stable society.

2. to free and compulsory primary and secondary education.

3. to work, social security, health, adequate housing.

4. to protect the motherhood and maternal and pediatric care.

5. to adequate health and social care for the disabled, the elderly and those with special needs.

Article 39

Natural resources, located both above and below ground, are the public wealth of society. Extractive processes, management, licensing and other contractual agreements related to such resources shall be regulated by law.

Article 40

All buildings and land in the Autonomous Regions are owned by the Transitional Administration are public property. The use and distribution shall be determined by law.

Article 42

The economic system in the provinces shall be directed at providing general welfare and in particular granting funding to science and technology. It shall be aimed at guaranteeing the daily needs of people and to ensure a dignified life. Monopoly is prohibited by law. Labor rights and sustainable development are guaranteed.

I'll pass

RevolverRob
02-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Syria was the focus of the article, but its not the only place Kurds are living or fighting. They have a fairly strong presence in Iraq, and seem very open to market economy there, despite the leftist rhetoric of their Turkish (PKK) cousins. Groups of Iraqi Kurds went to Kobane to reinforce the Syrian Kurds and others that were fighting IS.

Good point. Kurds seem more interested in dealing with them than differences in political or religous ideologies. As far as I know, they are generally less interested in religous differences, even when IS isnt the formost issue. The article may be stretching the implications of their tolerance and political practices. Pragmatic may be more to the point.

Solid points. The Kurds, despite essentially being an ethnic minority in the region, have historically not largely worried about religious and political differences within their group. I think this is driven by two interrelated points - First, when your whole ethnicity is being systematically attacked by all sides, you unite or die, the Kurds chose to unite (a really good sign). Second, long periods of fighting by men and women who are united in being Kurdish and not united by being one or another sect of Islam have served to allow merit to form the backbone of their social structure. Men and women are (nearly) equally revered in their fierce fighting culture. Historically, warrior cultures actually appear to work quite well (for awhile). It's the professional politicians and the generations that follow warriors that tend to screw it up.

If a free Kurdistan happens (and it could). I predict a nice, equal, and prosperous society for it, for about 3-4 generations, before the kids who never had to fight in any wars screw it up, by voting themselves money from the national bank and elect career politicians to keep them safe. See: current status of the state of Israel for an example of how this decline starts. When not all Israeli's have to fight to protect their country, political division and materialistic desire starts to mess it up.

-Rob

cclaxton
02-13-2015, 09:49 AM

Right about that. ISIS must be destroyed. But for those who have to live there, they need their own house in order so that they may be strong and effective and win the fight.
Cody