PDA

View Full Version : model 64 for appendix

breakingtime91
02-08-2015, 11:55 PM
So I have a line on a model 64 with a 4 inch barrel. I am going to contact JM here soon to get a holster in the works.
so here are my questions:
-is a 4inch barrel to uncomfortable for appendix carry?
-what speed loader for concealed carry?
-what should I carry my speed loader in?
-best concealed carry grips for a round butt k frame?

Chuck Haggard
02-09-2015, 12:52 AM
I know several guys carrying G34s AIWB, and those are rather long guns for that job. Holster choice is the key.

breakingtime91
02-09-2015, 12:59 AM
Ok, I currently carry a G19 in a JM and am just gonna send him a email and see if he can send me the same set up for the wheel gun. Should be a fun experiment.

Totem Polar
02-09-2015, 01:07 AM
For grips, PGS grips. Great concealment grips, seen here on my own 4" NY-1 64.

For speedloaders, good old HKS loaders in some Andrews Custom leather split belt pouches (gun is, incidentally, another NY-spec wheelie, the SPNY)

Let me know how the AIWB JM holster experiment works out, if you would. Had the same exact though myself.
:cool:

breakingtime91
02-09-2015, 01:24 AM
I sure will. Those grips look great and appeals to my cheap side. Do you prefer the hk speed loaders over the comp 2?

Hizzie
02-09-2015, 06:40 AM
Damnit! I had a nice reply all typed out and my phone refreshed the page wiping it out. Here is what I did. http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=13161

1986s4
02-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Sidheshooter,
I went to the PGS website, rather devoid of pictures or information. Or maybe it's just my computer? What are the grips made of? They look nice and might look good on my S&W M13 3"..

breakingtime91
02-09-2015, 09:01 AM
What round should I carry in this guy... does it matter that its not rated for +p?

Chuck Haggard
02-09-2015, 09:08 AM
I'm not the world's leading S&W revolver expert, but pretty sure you should be GTG with +P rounds from that gun.

Most of the guns from that era are regulated for 158gr ammo, I'd start with one of the LSWCHPs from Federal, Remington or Winchester

Robinson
02-09-2015, 09:19 AM
I agree +P ammo is fine in that gun. A pre-Model 10 M&P would be a different story. With fixed sight K Frames I've usually carried 158gr LSWCHP+P. Mostly Remington.

Lyonsgrid
02-09-2015, 10:01 AM
64 snub in a JMCK AIWB

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/elliott6229/8cb4b3b2-8eb3-4e7b-99a2-971374ecc464.jpg (http://s675.photobucket.com/user/elliott6229/media/8cb4b3b2-8eb3-4e7b-99a2-971374ecc464.jpg.html)

Lyonsgrid
02-09-2015, 10:05 AM
These Precision Gun Specialties Hideout grips are indeed very nice for concealed carry.

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/elliott6229/23.jpg (http://s675.photobucket.com/user/elliott6229/media/23.jpg.html)

Chuck Haggard
02-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Personally, I'd go with the factory wood and find a Tyler T-Grip, if I'm going old school I'm doing it old school.

breakingtime91
02-09-2015, 10:39 AM
This whole thing is taking place because I have to unload/take my gun off multiple times a day... I dont like a auto for that beacuse it means im chambering round multiple times a day..

DamonL
02-09-2015, 11:10 AM
I recommend using the HKS speed loader and the Safariland Split Six pouch for spare ammo. They should be easily available and inexpensive. Make sure you get the right size for your gun. The HKS uses a knob to twist to release shells. Its more positive retention is the plus. The Split Six holds 3 shell in front and three behind the belt. The speedloader sits on top of the belt so it does not stick outward as much.

When I used a revolver, I use to carry speedloaders in the appendix position and the gun behind the hip. If you carry your gun appendix, you would put the speedloaders on the opposite side of your belt buckle.

Totem Polar
02-09-2015, 11:27 AM
I sure will. Those grips look great and appeals to my cheap side. Do you prefer the hk speed loaders over the comp 2?

I do. Simply for retention: I have yet to dump rounds all over the place with HKS loaders. They're also reasonably compact. I'm sure the lovely 5 star loaders http://www.5starfirearms.com/Speed-Loaders/departments/1/ would work too, but I have yet to pony up for them myself (I have dozens of K-frame HKS loaders in bins...it's a little late to swap brands now :D plus. the 5-stars rotate the opposite way)

Sidheshooter,
I went to the PGS website, rather devoid of pictures or information. Or maybe it's just my computer? What are the grips made of? They look nice and might look good on my S&W M13 3"..
I dunno... some sort of polymer. Nice texture; somewhat grippy, but not enough to tear up skin or clothing. Less grabby (and grippy/recoil absorbent) than rubber, eg. uncle mike's boot grip. Basically feels like, er, if Glock made revolver grips... :p Check out lyonsgrid's sexy pics above for a closer look at the same thing...

Personally, I'd go with the factory wood and find a Tyler T-Grip, if I'm going old school I'm doing it old school.

I have sever wheelies so equipped. In fact, this NY-1 and my 65-3 (which sees magnum ammo) are the only S&Ws I have without factory wood and Tyler-Ts on them. Incidentally, I prefer the J-frame T grip on my model 12, even though it's a K. Maybe it's the skinnier grip frame. Actually, now that I think of it, I don't believe I've ever looked at a K and J Tyler T side-by-side. I wonder what the difference is. Hmmm... weekend project.

What round should I carry in this guy... does it matter that its not rated for +p?

I've run 1000s of rounds of +P in my last NY-1 with no apparent issues. I wouldn't sweat it. My favorite range ammo back in the day was the speer "lawman" 158 +P TMJ that duplicated the FBI load for training purposes. LOTS of that ammo through the gun, plus, I used to shoot bowling pins with it using CorBon's now-discontinued "RCMP" +P+ load: basically the FBI, but bumped to over 1000fps out of 4". Sort of the precurser to buffalo bore today. None of this ever fazed the NY-1. I am a little leery of my model 12--only because I can't get another one in minty condition easily, but even then, there is an online test where some dude shot over 1K out of an alloy 12 without issue. Short answer, as noted by CH: any of the big 3's "FBI" load. I prefer Remington, because I also trust it in my 3" J frame and 2" model 12 (softer lead for expansion), but I have a stash of Federal for zombie time and I'm OK with that brand too.

JAD
02-09-2015, 11:31 AM
OP: "This whole thing is taking place because I have to unload/take my gun off multiple times a day... I dont like a auto for that beacuse it means im chambering round multiple times a day.."

I used to have that same problem and solved it by taking the gun off in the holster and storing it that way. I did not feel compelled to unload a gun that was holstered and in a safe.

breakingtime91
02-09-2015, 12:15 PM
OP: "This whole thing is taking place because I have to unload/take my gun off multiple times a day... I dont like a auto for that beacuse it means im chambering round multiple times a day.."

I used to have that same problem and solved it by taking the gun off in the holster and storing it that way. I did not feel compelled to unload a gun that was holstered and in a safe.

not possible for where I have to travel to. Gun is fine in safe unloaded, loaded causes potential issues legality wise..

Dagga Boy
02-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Back when us Neanderthals roamed the earth with clubs and revolvers, many of the dialed in gun folks carried 2-3" medium frame guns front AIWB. The muzzle length preference was often guided by build, and this is no different today with autos. DefaultMP3 manages to AIWB a P30L with an X400 with a waist size the width of my thigh. For me, the HK45C and P2000 are ideal with the P30/VP9 being on the edge, and the P2000SK almost too short. Nothing different with revolvers. The medium frame 3" is my favorite. 4" is almost too long, and the 2" are a little too short. Key is finding the sweet spot and that may be a 4" for some folks. For what its worth, the J frame is a gun that will work for most folks AIWB, but I need a holster to not roll them out when I bend forward with the stored energy compartment.

Like anything, holsters and grips are very personal. I agree with the use of the revolver for the purpose if you have a ton of admin handling, loading, unloading, and all from front appendix. Makes good sense to me.

I typed a big thing on speedloaders and it got lost before the auto-save.........I'll try to retype it later.

breakingtime91
02-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Back when us Neanderthals roamed the earth with clubs and revolvers, many of the dialed in gun folks carried 2-3" medium frame guns front AIWB. The muzzle length preference was often guided by build, and this is no different today with autos. DefaultMP3 manages to AIWB a P30L with an X400 with a waist size the width of my thigh. For me, the HK45C and P2000 are ideal with the P30/VP9 being on the edge, and the P2000SK almost too short. Nothing different with revolvers. The medium frame 3" is my favorite. 4" is almost too long, and the 2" are a little too short. Key is finding the sweet spot and that may be a 4" for some folks. For what its worth, the J frame is a gun that will work for most folks AIWB, but I need a holster to not roll them out when I bend forward with the stored energy compartment.

Like anything, holsters and grips are very personal. I agree with the use of the revolver for the purpose if you have a ton of admin handling, loading, unloading, and all from front appendix. Makes good sense to me.

I typed a big thing on speedloaders and it got lost before the auto-save.........I'll try to retype it later.

appreciate the feed back and honestly your comment on admin handling really convinced me a wheel gun was a smart move for my situation.

camsdaddy
02-11-2015, 08:45 AM
I had the precision hideout grips on a 64 snub for a while. I found that they would twist in my hand especially in the summer when my hands were hot and sweaty. I realize the smoothness keeps them from grabbing shirts but it didn't provide enough traction for me.

EM_
02-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Yet another thread that makes me want to spend money....

Dagga Boy
02-11-2015, 10:03 AM
I had the precision hideout grips on a 64 snub for a while. I found that they would twist in my hand especially in the summer when my hands were hot and sweaty. I realize the smoothness keeps them from grabbing shirts but it didn't provide enough traction for me.

The key word is "hideout" grips. One of the nice things about revolvers is the ability to configure the stocks to t
The task at hand. In this case, the PGS grips are a great daily deep concealment grip, yet will be lacking for a day at the range. For me a good example is with one of my snub nose .44 magnum Smith's. It normally has VZ grips on it. I have shot full house magnums with them so I know how they will feel. With that said, when I take it out for some shooting it gets some comfy Pachmayr rubber.

Totem Polar
02-11-2015, 12:06 PM
This is true.
If I am taking a class or some other higher round count activity, I'll be switching them out from my stash of new old stock uncle mikes boot grips.
As DB says, they conceal very well. It's a trade off.

Brian T
02-12-2015, 08:18 AM
The Model 64 and the Winchester 158gr+P LSWCHP was the issued gun/ammo of Dallas PD through the very violent 1980's. It put many a Jamaican and Cuban coke head in the ground.

There are still a few M64s floating around in DPD, in addition to other snubs as BUGs, and the load of choice is the same, it just comes from Remington instead.

1986s4
02-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Nyeti: "With that said, when I take it out for some shooting it gets some comfy Pachmayr rubber. "

I second that, nothing like a large rubber grip for shooting comfort. Although I have gotten great performance from some Hogue Bantam rubber grip on my M13 3". Small enough for carry [round butt]. But enough surface for me to shoot matches with, a good compromise.

Dagga Boy
05-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Just got this project finished up. Dog walking and quick grab and go gun. Neat little CCC minimalist holster that clips on and I have a custom made small Eagle fanny pack with no interior that it fits in like a glove. 2" Model 64-2. Gunsmith fixed a couple minor issues and lock up is tight now. He also installed a factory DAO bobbed hammer. I like the old mike's boot grips but I would like to find some of the old Sile rubber boot grips for it. I ll get some rounds through it next week and it is going to be a beater carry gun.

Wayne Dobbs
05-30-2015, 06:19 PM
That gun is going to love me, Darryl! Exactly like my first off duty gun....

Dagga Boy
05-30-2015, 06:38 PM
That gun is going to love me, Darryl! Exactly like my first off duty gun....

Yea, I am sure this will be he normal thing where I get all excited about my new gun, and you shoot a group inside of mine......which always takes the fun out of that first range trip with a new acquisition:(

Jeep
05-30-2015, 07:37 PM
How easy is it to pick up the front sight on that revolver? I have a 3 inch barrel 64, which is a terrific pistol, except with all the stainless steel it is very hard to pick up the front sight.

okie john
05-30-2015, 07:38 PM
How easy is it to pick up the front sight on that revolver? I have a 3 inch barrel 64, which is a terrific pistol, except with all the stainless steel it is very hard to pick up the front sight.

Paint it red/orange.

Okie John

okie john
05-30-2015, 07:42 PM
So I have a line on a model 64 with a 4 inch barrel. I am going to contact JM here soon to get a holster in the works.
so here are my questions:
-is a 4inch barrel to uncomfortable for appendix carry?
-what speed loader for concealed carry?
-what should I carry my speed loader in?
-best concealed carry grips for a round butt k frame?

A 4" K-frame should be no problem AIWB unless you're built strangely. I find them easier to carry that way than a G17/19.

I'd love to get a Model 65 and swap the bull barrel for one of the slender 4" Model 64 barrels. Kind of a K-frame Mountain Gun...

Okie John

Robinson
06-01-2015, 08:24 AM
I have a JM Custom AIWB holster for my 4" K Frames. It's nicely made and works fine. The whole "sitting while carrying AIWB" thing definitely takes some getting used to though -- at least for me.

HRL
06-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Nyeti,

You mentioned that you had written something up about sped loaders...did that post ever make it anywhere?

Dagga Boy
06-07-2015, 08:16 PM

I just got into my girlfriends drawer of front sight paint and found a bright red I liked and it helps a lot.

Nyeti,

You mentioned that you had written something up about sped loaders...did that post ever make it anywhere?

I don't remember.....
In a nutshell, my experience has been that Safariland's are fast, HKS are robust. Some of he newer loaders like SL variant are really nice, but hard to find at times. I still need to get some 5 Stars to try out as they look great but I don't like the way they turn to release due to my being wired up to turn the HKS direction. They may be worth a shot. For a new revolver user, they would be a great way to go.

HRL
06-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Nice! Never heard of 5 star before today, little extra googling came up with two neat things:

1. Looks like you may be able to specify which way you want to turn to release rounds.
2. Because they're aluminum, they're thin enough to clear j-frame Crimson trace grips.