PDA

View Full Version : How much dry fire do you do?

Clobbersaurus
02-08-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm curious how much dry fire training the members here put in each week.

Typically, I try to put in 15 minutes or so daily. Usually always in the evening, after the kids are fed and their homework done. I have a dedicated space specifically for dry fire where I can follow proper safety protocols and have dedicated dry fire gear ready, so it's easy and simple for me to get geared up and training. The space is small but it works for me. I can only hit the range a couple times a month, so for me, I feel dry fire is essential if I want to improve. I've come to enjoy it, and love the self analysis and attention to detail needed.

Carnifex
02-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Until my hands hurt too much to continue.

Clobbersaurus
02-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Usually it's my forearms and right elbow that give out before my hands. I've built up calluses on my hands where they rub the gun the most so that's not an issue anymore.

miller_man
02-08-2015, 12:06 PM
It's actually a little less than it used to be, but I remain pretty consistent with at least 2-3 nights a week (when the wife works nights and after our little one goes to bed) for around 30 min or so.

I try to always get a few trigger presses in, but sometimes might mostly work on draws (competition or carry setup), or reloads, or transitions ect. Then sometimes just work on presses. Some weeks might have as much as 4-6 days, usually after a match or practice.

I've been consistently doing about this as a minimum for going on over a year now. Would probably benefit from becoming more structured/organized. Best thing I've ever done for my dry fire work was getting a second G19 to stay unloaded and ready for dry work.

Chris Rhines
02-08-2015, 12:12 PM
5-6 days a week. 15-20 minutes per session, but I might do two or three sessions in an evening.

Leroy
02-08-2015, 01:14 PM
30 min a day

JDM
02-08-2015, 01:21 PM
About an hour a week split up over three or four days.

taadski
02-08-2015, 03:20 PM
I dry fire pretty much daily; usually short 15-30 minute informal sessions, sometimes more than one a day. Usually two (sometimes three) times a week I have more structured sessions that include a timer, setting up specific drills, mini-stages, etc… and are usually an hour or so long. Perhaps not surprisingly, periods of time when I've dedicated myself to more frequent structured sessions coincide with by biggest ability/performance shifts.

FWIW, I also have a dedicated training gun that sits ready and makes the short sessions much more feasible.

t

KeeFus
02-08-2015, 03:25 PM
About an hour a week split up over three or four days.

^^^^This.

SAWBONES
02-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Three days per week, after workouts, several minutes only each time.

Duces Tecum
02-08-2015, 05:02 PM
160 days ago today I started Claude Werner's "1,000 Day Challenge". I do 50 dry fires daily (10 right, 10 right SHO, 10 left, 10 left WHO, and 5 shots left and right, while moving at a walking pace, on a head high 2" target six feet away.

I should have started years ago.

YVK
02-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Every week is different, but I'd say most days of the week on average, unless traveling. Time is variable too, 15 min to 60 min. Gym takes precedence, dry fire comes after.
In general, I don't get tired from it, but I find it hard to stay focused mentally.

SeriousStudent
02-08-2015, 08:41 PM
160 days ago today I started Claude Werner's "1,000 Day Challenge". I do 50 dry fires daily (10 right, 10 right SHO, 10 left, 10 left WHO, and 5 shots left and right, while moving at a walking pace, on a head high 2" target six feet away.

I should have started years ago.

This. I don't perform dray practice for a set amount of time. I instead try to perform 50 perfect trigger presses. Some days it takes 20 minutes, some days it takes 40.

Human nature (and myself) being what they are, I was cheating myself by accepting some practice sessions that were not as good as they could be. I think of it like a trip to the gym - you try and do a defined number of sets with perfect reps.

I'm not any kind of smart inventive fellow - I got the tip from Jay's blog, and it has paid off for me.

Mitchell, Esq.
02-08-2015, 08:43 PM
After work, before I go home with a sirt pistol. Few minutes a day.

SeriousStudent
02-08-2015, 08:56 PM
After work, before I go home with a sirt pistol. Few minutes a day.

I love my SIRT. I keep a B-8 repair center taped to the inside of the front door, and practice from 12 yards. It's a distance representative of the longest typical sight line in my home.

Come home, feed/water the dog, then grab the SIRT.

Maple Syrup Actual
02-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Two years ago, maybe 15 minutes a week.

These days...probably 1/52nd that much, unless I have something in particular coming up I need to be good for. Then I'll do it maybe twenty minutes a day for a week leading up to the event.

If I want to shoot well on the clock I'll dry fire draws and reloads.