PDA

View Full Version : New Spyderco flatground: Delica4 or Endura4?

SteveK
02-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Wanting a new Spyderco for everyday use. Can't decide on the new Delica4 or Endura4. Any input would be appreciated.

iakdrago
02-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Wanting a new Spyderco for everyday use. Can't decide on the new Delica4 or Endura4. Any input would be appreciated.

Delica 4 will get any every day task done just fine. Endure 4 is perhaps a better defensive blade because of the reach. I went with a delict because i live in a crappy city of Philadelphia where there is an official ban on carrying any knife or knife like object... However, the law is not really enforced as long as the knife appears to be utilitarian. Thus i went with the smaller Delica 4, and frankly it does everything i need it to do. Both of the knives are great knives, laws aside, you really can't go wrong.

You should look up the knife laws of your neighboring cities/states as some have restrictions on knife blade length that will make carrying a Delica 4 a crime. Who would have thought that i'm licensed to carry a firearm--but a pocket knife is a crime.

Cool Breeze
02-05-2015, 12:29 PM
I have both (along with a number of other Spyderco knives - as well as other brands) I think the questions is what do you want to do it with it. Are you using it for an edc role or for a folding tactical/self defense role?

For EDC - the delica is much prefered because it is smaller and much easier to maneuver in cutting tasks. The jimping/thumb ramp is also much better on it it. If you want a longer blade for self defense work, obviously the endura over the delica - that being said, the extra length and heft of the blade makes it a slower deploying knife.

I've carried a Spyderco Stretch for about 5 years now and I think it is an overall better knife than the two mentioned above for only slightly more $$$ - same length as the endura, faster than both the delica and the endura - thumb ramp is equivalent to the delica - just wish it had the sharper jimping of the delica. A spyderco paramilitary 2 is also a great option.

Maple Syrup Actual
02-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Personally I found the Endura worked well for me an an everyday blade BUT:

A) I do a lot of aerial work with ropes and cables and I need a fairly heavy tool compared to most people

B) I can palm basketballs and my hands are thick and square.

I think if I wore gloves designed for humans, or I had more typical knife tasks, I'd be interested in the delica.

SteveK
02-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Blade length isn't and issue and I'm looking for a utility knife.

Chuck Haggard
02-05-2015, 01:17 PM
I have both (along with a number of other Spyderco knives - as well as other brands) I think the questions is what do you want to do it with it. Are you using it for an edc role or for a folding tactical/self defense role?

For EDC - the delica is much prefered because it is smaller and much easier to maneuver in cutting tasks. The jimping/thumb ramp is also much better on it it. If you want a longer blade for self defense work, obviously the endura over the delica - that being said, the extra length and heft of the blade makes it a slower deploying knife.

I've carried a Spyderco Stretch for about 5 years now and I think it is an overall better knife than the two mentioned above for only slightly more $$$ - same length as the endura, faster than both the delica and the endura - thumb ramp is equivalent to the delica - just wish it had the sharper jimping of the delica. A spyderco paramilitary 2 is also a great option.

This is very hand size dependent. I have trouble opening the Delica sized knives with a quickness due to the knife being too small, the Endura is just right for me.

Byron
02-05-2015, 01:23 PM
I've got more Delicas and Enduras sitting around than I can count at this point. They're amazing knives for everyday use while still being affordable enough to lose (relatively speaking).

I've never run into a task that a Delica couldn't handle, but an Endura could. With that said, I don't work with my hands for a living, and I'm not a big guy. I usually wear size Large gloves (sometimes Medium depending on the company/cut) and definitely cannot palm a basketball.

I carried an Endura for many years before getting my first Delica. Once I did, I don't think I ever went back to carrying an Endura. Now I just keep them in handy places around the house/car/whatever.

I suppose it's just icing on the cake that a Delica is legal/acceptable in far more places than an Endura.

45dotACP
02-05-2015, 01:46 PM
I like the endura personally, but mine isn't flat ground. Still an amazing knife. But it's beat up enough that the ol zip tie "wave" doesn't look real tacky. But I'd get a delica in a heartbeat if the price was right. I don't buy knives out of consideration for their use as a fighting implement. Utility comes first, then martial uses. Of course, I've never taken formal training in martial use of a knife, thus my priorities. I need to get my butt to TDI, or EWO or something.

NickA
02-05-2015, 02:08 PM
One nice thing about the Delica is that the handle is a little longer than most knives with similar blade length. It makes it easier to manipulate IMO, without adding much size.
I only recently acquired my first one for some reason. It's a FFG blade and is one slicing SOB.

warpedcamshaft
02-05-2015, 02:10 PM
From an Emerson wave model standpoint I strongly prefer the Delica. (Or better yet the P'kal)

From a Flat ground perspective, I think both knives are great and either work pretty well for me (I tend to favor the Delica a bit). I wear XL gloves and don't have an issue with either. Endura is simply "more of a good thing."

Availability of trainers is a big plus with these knives.

I also bought the Byrd versions of the Delica and Endura for checked luggage when I'm flying on business trips.

Overall, if length isn't an issue... in your case I'd go Endura.

blake_g
02-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Delica for me, if I want anything longer it will likely be a fixed-blade. I pocket carry an ESEE-3 and most bigger stuff goes in the pack or daily carry bag.

Having said that, I do have an Endura clipped on my body armour...

Chuck Haggard
02-05-2015, 02:20 PM
I need someone to build a Spyderco with a wave, Delica sized blade and Endura sized handle. Would be my legal damn near everywhere pocket utility and BUST knife.

Get on it.

LSP552
02-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Love them both. My problem with the Endura is loosing them. I carry in my front pants pocket and the Endura is long enough to get pushed out of the pocket by my leg on occasion. LSP972 and others were buying Spyderco stock at one point until I changed to the Delica. I honestly don't remember how many I lost over the years. Granted they were not 4s, but the clips worked basically the same.

I've got a black Delica4 in my pocket as I type.

LSP552
02-05-2015, 02:28 PM
I need someone to build a Spyderco with a wave, Delica sized blade and Endura sized handle. Would be my legal damn near everywhere pocket utility and BUST knife.

Get on it.

Sorry, this is the best I can do. :)

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?porder=l2h&genre=knife&division=spyderco&offset=61&per_page=30

2015 catalog shows "Emersion Opener" available in both Endura and Delica.

BobLoblaw
02-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Delica since WV law says blade lengths up to 3.5" for carry. Woods knives are fixed or Zero Tolerance.

ST911
02-05-2015, 03:17 PM
I have bunches of Delicas and Enduras. Stout enough to do work I need, cheap enough that I can break, lose, or ditch them without much regret. I like the compactness and utility of the Delica, and it's smaller and more discreet appearance. I share Chuck's observation of hand/grip sizing. A Delica blade in an Endura handle would be awesome. I am also fond of the Spyderco/Kahr collaboration: https://www.kahr.com/kahr-branded-products/kahr-kahr-spyderco-delica-4-knifekhaki.asp

ScotchMan
02-05-2015, 03:44 PM
I normally hate when people who don't answer the question I asked, but I'm going to do it here. For the money, I think a Tenacious/Persistance/Resilience is a much better knife. The Delica and Endura require a lot more force to open; it can be done one-handed but requires a wrist flick. I also despise lockbacks because they are the most difficult to close one-handed. The linerlock and G10 handles of the Tenacious/etc are really nice. The only thing you're really losing is the knife steel, as the Delica and Endura have VG-10 and the others are 8Cr13MoV, but the more I think about it, I'm sharpening my PM2 with its S30V every 2 weeks anyway because I want to maintain a razor-sharp edge. And you lose that level of sharpness fairly quickly regardless of the steel.

For an EDC utility knife I would spend half the money on a Persistance for a Delica-sized, and a Tenacious or Resilience for an Endura-sized knife.

Chuck Haggard
02-05-2015, 04:11 PM
I have bunches of Delicas and Enduras. Stout enough to do work I need, cheap enough that I can break, lose, or ditch them without much regret. I like the compactness and utility of the Delica, and it's smaller and more discreet appearance. I share Chuck's observation of hand/grip sizing. A Delica blade in an Endura handle would be awesome. I am also fond of the Spyderco/Kahr collaboration: https://www.kahr.com/kahr-branded-products/kahr-kahr-spyderco-delica-4-knifekhaki.asp

I had not seen the Kahr knife before, damn near what I am looking for

LittleLebowski
02-05-2015, 04:32 PM
This thread may get expensive for a few.

warpedcamshaft
02-05-2015, 04:32 PM
I had not seen the Kahr knife before, damn near when I am looking for

Check out the Janich Custom Endura. May be even a bit closer to what you are looking for.

I've even seen a few homebrew Endura's cut that way with a wave notch cut in.

23JAZ
02-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Blade length isn't and issue and I'm looking for a utility knife.
Kershaw Blur Tanto. I've had mine for 6 years. Used it for everything from hammering nails into drywall to gutting whitetail. Can't be beat IMO.

ST911
02-05-2015, 05:50 PM
I had not seen the Kahr knife before, damn near when I am looking for

Handles nicely. I think you'd like it.

Check out the Janich Custom Endura. May be even a bit closer to what you are looking for.

Also GTG.

LittleLebowski
02-05-2015, 10:14 PM
This flat ground talk has me looking at the Resilience.

rictodd
02-05-2015, 10:37 PM

If you want a big flat ground spyderco, get the police-3 G10. It is more money, but worth every bit of it.

Sigfan26
02-05-2015, 10:41 PM

Get a Manix2XL... You won't be disappointed.

45dotACP
02-05-2015, 10:44 PM
The flat ground linerlock spyderco blades to me, look like a better option than the Emerson/Kershaw collaborations as far as a budget knife goes. I tried hard to like that little Kershaw CQC, but the pocket clip is fiercely difficult to pull from the pocket.

That Spyderco Tenacious looks pretty awesome.

Maple Syrup Actual
02-06-2015, 12:03 AM
I normally hate when people who don't answer the question I asked, but I'm going to do it here. For the money, I think a Tenacious/Persistance/Resilience is a much better knife. The Delica and Endura require a lot more force to open; it can be done one-handed but requires a wrist flick. I also despise lockbacks because they are the most difficult to close one-handed. The linerlock and G10 handles of the Tenacious/etc are really nice. The only thing you're really losing is the knife steel, as the Delica and Endura have VG-10 and the others are 8Cr13MoV, but the more I think about it, I'm sharpening my PM2 with its S30V every 2 weeks anyway because I want to maintain a razor-sharp edge. And you lose that level of sharpness fairly quickly regardless of the steel.

For an EDC utility knife I would spend half the money on a Persistance for a Delica-sized, and a Tenacious or Resilience for an Endura-sized knife.

Yeah, I carry a Resilience at work now. I like it better than the Endura.

JTQ
02-06-2015, 09:40 AM
I prefer the Delica. The Endura is kind of big for my needs.

For those looking for a Delica sized blade in an Endura size grip, is the ParaMilitary in that ballpark (no wave though) http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=472

LittleLebowski
02-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Get a Manix2XL... You won't be disappointed.

Noticeable price difference between that and the Resilience.

Sigfan26
02-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Noticeable price difference between that and the Resilience.

Yeah. It's a US built model in S30V iirc. The Resilience is Built in China with 8cr13mov.

blake_g
02-06-2015, 04:52 PM

Get on it.

That's an idea I could get behind...

JDW1570
02-15-2015, 06:38 AM

Get on it.

Yes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DamonL
02-15-2015, 07:52 AM
The Emerson knives CQC 14 has a short blade with full size handle and wave. It's kind of like what you are looking for.

For the OP. I use to carry an Endura, but switched up to a Manix 2. I wanted a shorter bladed knife, because when you actually use your knife for utility tasks it is more socially acceptable to a wider audience.

Anyway, you will eventually own both. ;)

LittleLebowski
02-15-2015, 08:03 AM
The Emerson knives CQC 14 has a short blade with full size handle and wave. It's kind of like what you are looking for.

For the OP. I use to carry an Endura, but switched up to a Manix 2. I wanted a shorter bladed knife, because when you actually use your knife for utility tasks it is more socially acceptable to a wider audience.

Anyway, you will eventually own both. ;)

Kinda want (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AF0TSSA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00AF0TSSA&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) but the Manix 2 is a lot cheaper...... This thread is killing me.

ST911
02-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Kidna want (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AF0TSSA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00AF0TSSA&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) but the Manix 2 is a lot cheaper...... This thread is killing me.

Spydie sprint run, custom PF.com Endura-handled waved Delica. As they say, "do want."

SouthNarc
02-15-2015, 09:57 AM
If you guys want a P-F sprint run of a Spyderco that could probably get done.

SLG
02-15-2015, 01:38 PM
With a flat ground blede?

SouthNarc
02-15-2015, 01:52 PM

I think the world's your oyster on a sprint run dude.

JDM
02-15-2015, 01:57 PM

...and a wave. Please.

Jay Cunningham
02-15-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm in.

JAD
02-15-2015, 08:13 PM
For me, the action is the juice.

Sigfan26
02-15-2015, 08:16 PM
I think the world's your oyster on a sprint run dude.

I'm in! Wave opener Manix2 FFG (i love the leaf shaped blade) with CTS204P stainless for the blade steel (s90v being a close second, Bohler M390 third). Grippy G10 scales.

JDM
02-15-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm in.

Same. For a few.

wmu12071
02-15-2015, 08:55 PM
How super cool do you have to be to get in on this? A manix 2 wave sounds awesome.

orionz06
02-15-2015, 09:06 PM
I don't need one and probably won't use it. That's reason enough to get one or two. In.

SeriousStudent
02-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Tentatively in, depending on what exact configuration we are discussing. I've seen multiple variants discussed in this thread.

Up1911Fan
02-15-2015, 11:22 PM
I'd be in for one as well.

Totem Polar
02-16-2015, 02:45 AM
If it's a knife group buy, history has shown that I will probably throw in as well. Regardless of what it is.

Oh, and Sage 2, for the OP. :D

BobLoblaw
02-16-2015, 06:27 AM
One for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich
02-16-2015, 09:10 AM

Get on it.

Built with liner lock

LSP972
02-16-2015, 11:19 AM
LSP972 and others were buying Spyderco stock at one point until I changed to the Delica.

LOL; that's a FACT!

Interesting discussion here. I'm with the crew that basically says: "I carry a knife to cut things with, not to fight with. I carry guns to fight with."

Now, I am not discounting all the excellent skills/techniques that some of you have (or think you have), or the cool little fixed blades carried at/near body center, etc. However, to me its like annual training. Every year, during almost 30 years as a cop, I was given some pretty thorough defensive tactics instruction/practice/exercises. Yet, every time I had to go hands-on with a suspect, I completely neglected to use any of that stuff and fought like I fought in high school… because, of course, I didn't practice the DT stuff after doing it at in-service. Not saying that was right, but it was REAL. Wait; I have used a couple of the wrist-locks they showed us, prior to cuffing. I know all of that stuff works… but you GOT to practice it continually.

OTOH, I practice with my guns; presenting them, shooting them, reloading them, etc.; weekly, if I can find the time, but monthly at the very least. I have no aversion to using a knife if I must; but it is simply not a priority for me.

That said, I'm semi-prepared. Ever since first hitting the road as a trooper, I have carried an old SAK for normal cutting chores and the few tools it offers, and a larger folder for tough cutting tasks and last-ditch defensive use. On the latter, I have run the gamut from a Buck 110 (carried in a .45 magazine pouch on the Sam Browne duty belt), a plain-vanilla Endura, to a by-God genuine Emerson CQC6.

I really like the Spyderco Tenacious, but its G10 scales really eat up my trousers badly at the knife's corners. My old serrated Endura with a Black T'ed blade has been that EDC larger folder for a very long time now.

Times change; age tends to alter one's perspective. I find myself using the SAK less and less, because I'm generally around other, better tools when I need one, now that my lifestyle has become more sedentary. I have been thinking about shelving the SAK and getting a smaller folder for EDC.

The Delica seems to fit that bill perfectly. I too like the Kahr special edition. But if my inner circle caught me carrying an HK pistol and a Kahr knife… well, it would get ugly…;)

Wondering Beard
02-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Built with liner lock

I'd rather it be Spyderco's compression lock.

Come to think of it, except for the 'wave' feature, we are all pretty much describing Spyderco's Paramilitary.

Wondering Beard
02-16-2015, 01:50 PM
I don't need one and probably won't use it. That's reason enough to get one or two. In.

Yup, me too.

SteveK
02-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Well broke down and ordered a Delica. I'll pick up an Endura later.

Crawls
02-16-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm in! Wave opener Manix2 FFG (i love the leaf shaped blade) with CTS204P stainless for the blade steel (s90v being a close second, Bohler M390 third). Grippy G10 scales.

I'd be in for a FFG Manix 2 Wave.

Crawls
02-16-2015, 07:55 PM
I'd rather it be Spyderco's compression lock.

Come to think of it, except for the 'wave' feature, we are all pretty much describing Spyderco's Paramilitary.

I'd be in for a sprint run Paramilitary as well.
Come to think of it, I'd be in for just about of any sprint run Spyderco.

Chuck Whitlock
02-17-2015, 05:52 PM

Get on it.

I got the Lonewolf version of the waved Endura with a Glock punch. Nice knife, but the handle is actually too long for me....I'm holding it too far back when deploying the blade via the wave.

For me, I like the Native the best. A Native with the wave feature.........I would stock up and look no further.

iakdrago
02-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Well broke down and ordered a Delica. I'll pick up an Endura later.

You won't be sorry or disappointed.

Trajan
02-20-2015, 09:54 AM
A few years back when I was looking at both, I went with the Endura 4 FFG. I'm used to the 3.5" folders. Initial impression was "Wow, that is big". But since the handle is so thin, it really doesn't matter. Folded, the handle isn't longer than my pocket, so no issues. I now carry it p'kal style with the zip tie mod.

I've since played with Delicas. They seem small. I don't really see a purpose for them for me personally, as I don't really carry a knife for utility anymore.

Yute
03-14-2015, 07:47 PM
I have to say that a folder with a 2.5 inch blade, wave, and grip optimized for forward grip edge up would make a neat little deep cover tool for the support hand front pocket in jurisdictions that don't allow concealed fixed blades.

http://i.imgur.com/vTk8Pyh.jpg