PDA

View Full Version : Brian Williams Admits Lying About Being Shot Down in Helicopter in Iraq

Chance
02-04-2015, 09:02 PM
The story from Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20150204-nbc-news-brian-williams-apologizes-for-falsely-saying-he-came-under-fire-in-iraq.ece?hootPostID=7b350ccf8b18656c6a8f373a5f90a3 27):

“I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” Williams told the newspaper. “I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.”

Yes, you somehow got mixed up about that time you were not shot down. Entirely plausible.

Kyle Reese
02-04-2015, 09:05 PM
I guess it's easy to confuse being shot down with not being shot down. Next he'll claim that he dodged sniper fire in Bosnia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BWT
02-04-2015, 09:48 PM
As I've grown older and as a Christian. I've realized that integrity isn't always making the right choice at the right time every single time. I've lied, made mistakes, done stupid things; integrity is admitting what you did and it was wrong.

The byproduct of that is you'll probably be (ETA: much) less likely to do it again. Telling on yourself is humiliating but freeing.

Just my $.02.

Proverbs 19:22 "What is desirable in a man is his kindness, And it is better to be a poor man than a liar." I confessed to something a few weeks ago that was dumb to begin with and even dumber to hide. I felt immediately better.

Chuck Haggard
02-04-2015, 10:12 PM
It's not on my 214, but in a previous life I served with her Majesty's forces in India........

Dagga Boy
02-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Element Leader in Walrus Teams.

Chance
02-04-2015, 10:28 PM
As I've grown older and as a Christian. I've realized that integrity isn't always making the right choice at the right time every single time. I've lied, made mistakes, done stupid things; integrity is admitting what you did and it was wrong.

The byproduct of that is you'll probably be (ETA: much) less likely to do it again. Telling on yourself is humiliating but freeing.

I understand the sentiment, but he's been repeating the same story for a dozen years, most recently last week. I'll hear him out, but to say that you simply mis-remembered something as traumatic as being shot down, and it took the soldiers involved coming forward to clarify your recollection? …I'm sorry, but that's a stretch.

LSP552
02-04-2015, 10:51 PM
If integrity meant anything to the MSM, he'd loose his job.

ToddG
02-04-2015, 10:58 PM
I understand the sentiment, but he's been repeating the same story for a dozen years, most recently last week. I'll hear him out, but to say that you simply mis-remembered something as traumatic as being shot down, and it took the soldiers involved coming forward to clarify your recollection? …I'm sorry, but that's a stretch.

I specifically remember the night I shot Bin Laden.

Unless there are SEALs here. In which case I may remember differently.

Suvorov
02-04-2015, 11:32 PM
How does something like this not cost someone in this position their job?

Next he'll claim that he dodged sniper fire in Bosnia.

Oh, that's right...... :(

ACP230
02-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Now that's there's proof that he's a liar, I have doubts about his claim to be a NASCAR fan too.

45dotACP
02-05-2015, 12:11 AM
A pathological liar securing employment in a national news network?

quelle surprise

SecondsCount
02-05-2015, 12:36 AM
As a former Marine Force Recon Sniper...

;)

That crazy Brian.

BWT
02-05-2015, 01:41 AM

What I meant is he needs to come clean.

Robert Mitchum
02-05-2015, 03:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuU6vRW6Q_k

JV_
02-05-2015, 04:51 AM
He must have spent too much time around Hillary and her sniper fire incident...

Palmguy
02-05-2015, 10:26 AM
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii551/PalmguyFL/brianwilliams_zpsb2upqvya.jpg

Glenn E. Meyer
02-05-2015, 10:38 AM
The inmate was James Bond - Brian told me so when we were in the sandbox (at my kids' daycare).

Jeep
02-05-2015, 11:45 AM
"There I was, hip deep in grenade pins as the Chinese crossed the Yalu river . . . ."

I'm figuring that ole Brian told this story to so many women in bars that he forgot that it was somewhat less than completely true.

ToddG
02-05-2015, 01:59 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/8b/8b8a8966312f6400a7b1b8de183d8498f44e4e02d02cc9a0dc b0608eaffa38ac.jpg

NickA
02-05-2015, 02:10 PM
I could almost (almost) believe that you might "misremember" If your helicopter took small arms fire. But I'm betting an RPG hit is pretty damn memorable. What a schmuck.

Chance
02-05-2015, 03:27 PM
I could almost (almost) believe that you might "misremember" If your helicopter took small arms fire. But I'm betting an RPG hit is pretty damn memorable.

I'm just not thinking you "mis-remember" being violently removed from the sky.

My cousin was on a Life Flight that had to make an emergency landing after a buzzard went through the windshield. He remembers that pretty well.

TCinVA
02-05-2015, 03:31 PM
I could almost (almost) believe that you might "misremember" If your helicopter took small arms fire. But I'm betting an RPG hit is pretty damn memorable. What a schmuck.

Remember that he's a member of the press. An institution that, as a whole, cannot actually describe weapons they want banned with anything approaching a reasonable level of accuracy. Full of people who, at least at the apex of the profession, have apparently not even had so much as a bloody lip in the whole of their lives.

If somebody threw a pebble at the chopper he was on it could well be the most traumatic thing he's ever experienced.

NickA
02-05-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm just not thinking you "mis-remember" being violently removed from the sky.

My cousin was on a Life Flight that had to make an emergency landing after a buzzard went through the windshield. He remembers that pretty well.
Yeah I'm guessing that would get your attention! Stupid birds.

Remember that he's a member of the press. An institution that, as a whole, cannot actually describe weapons they want banned with anything approaching a reasonable level of accuracy. Full of people who, at least at the apex of the profession, have apparently not even had so much as a bloody lip in the whole of their lives.

If somebody threw a pebble at the chopper he was on it could well be the most traumatic thing he's ever experienced.
Exactly.

Now the pilot of the bird has chimed in. His version is that they did take a few AK rounds, impacting the cargo area, but from where Williams and the other press guys were sitting they probably didn't even know it until they were told.

Kyle Reese
02-05-2015, 03:41 PM

Members of the press would probably claim PTSD because Green Beans coffee ran out of milk for their morning latte.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robert Mitchum
02-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Brian did some training with Cory and Erika.
http://www.odd-zone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/cory_erika.jpg

Kyle Reese
02-05-2015, 04:39 PM
http://www.odd-zone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/cory_erika.jpg

Maybe Cory was on the same helo?

Chance
02-07-2015, 05:00 PM
NBC has launched an investigation (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/02/06/brian-williams-katrina-coverage-in-question/22980005/), and Williams has temporarily "stepped aside". Now that people are pouring over everything he's ever said, holes are starting to appear in other stories.

Don't see how the guy stays in his position now. His job description is, literally, "accurately describe events," and if NBC has a modicum of self-respect, he's going to have to leave.

GardoneVT
02-07-2015, 05:20 PM
NBC has launched an investigation (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/02/06/brian-williams-katrina-coverage-in-question/22980005/), and Williams has temporarily "stepped aside". Now that people are pouring over everything he's ever said, holes are starting to appear in other stories.

Don't see how the guy stays in his position now. His job description is, literally, "accurately describe events," and if NBC has a modicum of self-respect, he's going to have to leave.

The motto in practice is "describe events to increase viewership."

I find it quite unlikely he's been perpetuating fraudulent stories either just recently, or that he's been doing so alone. My thoughts are , NBC management knew he was full of it from the word go and decided a profitable liar who brought high viewers was a money train too big to stop , ethics be damned.

I also don't believe for a moment he's the only liar on the airwaves.

Suvorov
02-07-2015, 05:37 PM
The motto in practice is "describe events to increase viewership."

I find it quite unlikely he's been perpetuating fraudulent stories either just recently, or that he's been doing so alone. My thoughts are , NBC management knew he was full of it from the word go and decided a profitable liar who brought high viewers was a money train too big to stop , ethics be damned.

I also don't believe for a moment he's the only liar on the airwaves.

According to an article I recently read, Tom Brokaw wants William's head and that everyone knew William's story was a load of BS back in 03 and many had told him to knock it off.

SecondsCount
02-07-2015, 06:55 PM

Ouch!

Robert Mitchum
02-08-2015, 02:17 AM
Maybe Cory was on the same helo?

Rumor has it he was :)

Alpha Sierra
02-08-2015, 05:19 PM
OK, now Williams is f-ed. He's got Lt General Honore on his ass

http://news.yahoo.com/brian-williams-unreliable-souces-151412943.html

JV_
02-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Brian Williams said he has a peice of the stealth helicopter that went down during the Bin Laden raid, he said it on The Dan Patrick Show.

TCinVA
02-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Brian Williams said he has a peice of the stealth helicopter that went down during the Bin Laden raid, he said it on The Dan Patrick Show.

I keep my piece on the mantle next to my Oscar, my Pulitzer, and my second grade best reader trophy.

ubervic
02-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Brian Williams has been show to be a self-aggrandizing liar, and as more 'discrepancies' come to light, NBC has shifted course from supporting him to preparing for his exit.

Kyle Reese
02-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Brian Williams has been show to be a self-aggrandizing liar, and as more 'discrepancies' come to light, NBC has shifted course from supporting him to preparing for his exit.

Rumor has it he founded NBC.

TCinVA
02-09-2015, 11:00 AM

Which means he's likely to face more consequences for relatively harmless lies than somebody with a composite girlfriend and a promise that if you like your health insurance plan, you can keep it.

ubervic
02-09-2015, 11:09 AM
I suppose I'm far too jaded in some ways, as I do not flinch anymore when politicians (of any party) brag, boast and lie as part of their standard modus operandi. Yet the idea of a high-profile newscaster falsely building himself up with harrowing tales of being 'in the trenches' strikes me as outrageous.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Well, I'm outraged that Superman is an illegal alien that tries to hide his identity by assuming the false identity of the legitimate child of Martha and Johnathan Kent. Or at least in some version of the origin story.

But - maybe Williams is from Krypton also?

Morning Joe strongly defended his NBC buddy. However, since Morning Jerk once commented that he didn't see why he would need a hi-capacity clip full of 30 cop killer bullets to take his son hunting - I have little use for him.

RoyGBiv
02-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Morning Joe strongly defended his NBC buddy. However, since Morning Jerk once commented that he didn't see why he would need a hi-capacity clip full of 30 cop killer bullets to take his son hunting - I have little use for him.
Whenever I accidentally scan the channels and roll over MSNBC I feel a little bad inside.
As if someone is counting the number of hits on that channel and I just inadvertently contributed to a ratings boost.

RoyGBiv
02-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Brian Williams’s Reputation Floating Face-First After Serial Humble-Bragging (http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/09/brian-williamss-reputation-floating-face)

a picture is emerging of a serial humble-bragger, constantly padding his resume by exaggerating the danger of his work while surfing on the heroism of others. It's an embarrassment to the profession, and a cautionary tale for news consumers.

http://cloudfront-media.reason.com/mc/_external/2015_02/-22.jpg?h=303&w=300

BaiHu
02-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Awesome read!

Peally
02-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Here we see him during the Civil War:

http://i.cubeupload.com/oSWoEW.jpg

RoyGBiv
02-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Awesome read!

I don't always agree with "Reason", but always find it good reading and opinion.

ToddG
02-09-2015, 04:29 PM
http://www.9x19mm.com/photos/brianwilliams-gorbachev.jpg

RoyGBiv
02-09-2015, 05:35 PM
http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1709/1001/original.jpg

TCinVA
02-10-2015, 08:52 AM
I'll state again my utter befuddlement at the in progress destruction of Williams' career at the hands of the very same media that seems eager to put Al Sharpton's face in every situation they can find. This can't really be about the guy fibbing.

RoyGBiv
02-10-2015, 09:01 AM
I'll state again my utter befuddlement at the in progress destruction of Williams' career at the hands of the very same media that seems eager to put Al Sharpton's face in every situation they can find. This can't really be about the guy fibbing.

Just sharks smelling blood.

BaiHu
02-10-2015, 09:06 AM
It's another good story with click bait appeal. Look at us jabber jawing about it. The reality is no network wants to take him down, because they all engage in the same bullshit. One for all and all for one. No one sells news any more, they sell stories.

Chance
02-10-2015, 10:47 AM

I haven't seen anything to indicate the media is either honorable, or above self-cannibalizing.

Peally
02-10-2015, 10:52 AM
They aren't. They're pretty solidly in the career destroying business regardless of the reasons. Like BaiHu said, they sell stories, not news.