PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS as back up/NPE alternative to HK VP9

MVS
02-02-2015, 08:20 PM
My VP9 is very much growing on me. I am left handed so although I have gotten by fine with mostly Glocks and a smattering of other guns, the paddle mag release on the VP9 is working great. My problem is if I decide to switch to the VP9 as a carry gun I will be doing a ton of dry work, live fire, and classes with it. For me, YMMV, the paddle release is unique enough from the button style that I don't want to be switching back and forth for my carry gun. Unfortunately the VP9 is bigger than the G19 I am used to carrying daily and is at the upper limits of concealability for me. My thinking is to go with a PPS for those occasions that don't work well with the VP9. Thoughts?

orionz06
02-02-2015, 08:30 PM
The PPS is a great little gun, some consider it to be one of the best little 9's out there. Can't find fault in your logic.

LOKNLOD
02-02-2015, 08:47 PM
It's exactly what I would do, too. Heck I may actually do it.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think changing mag release types is as big a deal as some make it; especially if you're likely to carry the backup/NPE gun with no spare mag anyway, which some certainly do. I'm a big fan of the paddle release either way.

EricM
02-03-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure how well muscle memory from reps with the VP9 will transfer to the PPS as far as the mag release goes. Yes they both have paddle arrangements, but the pivot point is different, on the PPS it is further forward and the paddle does not seem designed to be depressed as close to the grip as on the VP9. (I no longer own a VP9 so I can't provide a direct comparison, but I just now compared my PPS to my P2000 with extended release, YMMV.) Still I think the PPS is a great choice, it shoots very well and I feel it is extremely unlikely the mag release could be unintentionally activated, which I see as a big advantage for some nontraditional modes of carry that such a slim gun lends itself to. Even if HK or Glock finally came out with a single-stack 9, I don't see myself parting with my PPS.

runcible
02-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Go for it - the PPS and VP9 are very alike in their controls, even if diverging in the specifics. Pepsi-testing tweaks to your reloads and magazine changes until a technique demonstrates equal effectiveness with either system.

It doesn't hurt that the PPS has a rail, unlike the Shield, if you have a desire to run lights on both systems.

98z28
02-03-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure how well muscle memory from reps with the VP9 will transfer to the PPS as far as the mag release goes. Yes they both have paddle arrangements, but the pivot point is different, on the PPS it is further forward and the paddle does not seem designed to be depressed as close to the grip as on the VP9. (I no longer own a VP9 so I can't provide a direct comparison, but I just now compared my PPS to my P2000 with extended release, YMMV.) Still I think the PPS is a great choice, it shoots very well and I feel it is extremely unlikely the mag release could be unintentionally activated, which I see as a big advantage for some nontraditional modes of carry that such a slim gun lends itself to. Even if HK or Glock finally came out with a single-stack 9, I don't see myself parting with my PPS.

I had the same experience with the PPS/P30 combo a while back. The magazine releases were different enough that there wasn't a single technique that would work with both. They were different enough that it would not have mattered if I'd gone with a button release.

The PPS is a great gun though. It shoots like a larger gun than it is. The biggest problem I had was finding extra magazines and spare parts. I'm seeing PPSs on the shelves again, so the supply chain may have improved by now.

MGW
02-03-2015, 03:12 PM
I wish you guys would stop talking about the PPS. Local dealer has a new one for $535. I picked up a really nice used off of here a while back and decided hastily that it wasn't for me. There is a lot to like about them.

Crusader8207
02-03-2015, 05:34 PM
I travel a lot for work. The PPS is my "travel" gun, it conceals easily in NPE environments. I also like the fact that it compliments the VP9 nicely.

MVS
02-03-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure how well muscle memory from reps with the VP9 will transfer to the PPS as far as the mag release goes. Yes they both have paddle arrangements, but the pivot point is different, on the PPS it is further forward and the paddle does not seem designed to be depressed as close to the grip as on the VP9. (I no longer own a VP9 so I can't provide a direct comparison, but I just now compared my PPS to my P2000 with extended release, YMMV.)..

Hmm, interesting. It looks like that is something I should test out.

Thanks for the good feedback everyone.

Luke
02-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Has anybody thought about cutting down a VP9? People cut 17's down all the time. Pick your back strap and glue it on and cut it down. Problem solved.

LockedBreech
02-04-2015, 12:43 PM
I just got my PPS fairly recently, paid $518 total. I am enthralled with it. It's a carry-size gun that's still shootable with a great trigger and real sights. I'm a big fan. Makes total sense to me as a backup to a VP9. They were even proofed at Ulm together! Ulm buddies!

Peally
02-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Primarily shooting an HK45 I found the VP9 mag release is just different enough to throw me off. Then again, I'm the same idiot that'll try dropping an AR magazine with the nonexistent paddle release if I've been training on the pistol too long so YMMV. I guess my point is no matter which way you go you'll still need to dedicate some time to each firearm to get the motions down pat.

LostDuke
02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Wow you must be a relative or something. Am also left handed, I carry a PPS and shoot a VP9 as my primary in IDPA. It makes a lot of sense to use them as a complementary pair given the similar control, and you also get to enjoy two first class firearms. I have been trying the various new wonder mini guns and have yet to find one that comes close to the PPS in terms of quality reliability ease of concealment and that is not painful and uncomfortable to shoot.

Do not find that using the VP9 makes me faster in changing mags with the PPS though, the paddle is much thinner and in a different position, so I have to hunt for it. That said, it's a winning combo that will give you ease of mind for years of fun and practice.

WOLFIE
02-04-2015, 07:40 PM
The HK P2000SK is a nice shooting gun. The mag release is small though.

LOKNLOD
02-04-2015, 07:45 PM
The HK P2000SK is a nice shooting gun. The mag release is small though.

Swapping it for the mag release off the HK45C is a easy fix and made a HUGE difference when I had mine. Link (http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Extended-Magazine-Release-For-HK-Pistols-265p1669.htm)

mizer67
02-04-2015, 10:06 PM
I have a PPS and consider it a good backup gun to a VP9. Very shootable.

However, it still seems too big to be an NPE gun for me. It's one of those guns that's very comfortable to carry for long periods but, aside from the slimness, isn't a gun that I can carry anywhere I can't carry a more capable double stack like a G19.

WOLFIE
02-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Swapping it for the mag release off the HK45C is a easy fix and made a HUGE difference when I had mine. Link (http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Extended-Magazine-Release-For-HK-Pistols-265p1669.htm)

I will try it. Thank you very much.

SAWBONES
02-05-2015, 10:30 AM

Thanks for that; it's useful information.

LOKNLOD
02-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Another P2000sk trick I liked was that I took the standard baseplate with the finger shelf that poked out forward, and ground it flat so it was functionally more like a pinky extension (like a G26 Pearce baseplate, almost). That standard spoonbill was annoying but the flat-bottom baseplates were just a hair too short.

WOLFIE
02-06-2015, 07:51 AM
Another P2000sk trick I liked was that I took the standard baseplate with the finger shelf that poked out forward, and ground it flat so it was functionally more like a pinky extension (like a G26 Pearce baseplate, almost). That standard spoonbill was annoying but the flat-bottom baseplates were just a hair too short.

Awesome. I may do that.

t1tan
02-07-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm running this exact combo, VP9 and PPS 9mm

I've had a PPS for about 3 years now, honestly one of my favorite guns and I shoot it well. In December I picked a VP9 and installed Trijicon HDs day one and so far I think this is an ideal combination between the two. Now I just need HDs on my PPS(have a 10-8 tritium front/stock rear, blacked out dots right now). Besides a couple Glock projects and a J frame I have in mind I'm down to just these two pistols now.

Irelander
02-09-2015, 04:41 PM
I'm in the market for a thin 9mm. I was thinking about the Sig P290RS but I may look harder at the PPS since it is well liked here.

Clay
02-09-2015, 05:14 PM
How are you guys carrying the PPS in NPE's? Just curious. I've wanted a better option to a j-frame ankle rig for NPE's, but haven't found anything to suit me yet.

Cecil Burch
02-10-2015, 01:14 PM
How are you guys carrying the PPS in NPE's? Just curious. I've wanted a better option to a j-frame ankle rig for NPE's, but haven't found anything to suit me yet.

Generally in a bellyband. It helps that the NPE I am almost always in requires me to be in a nice dress shirt and tie which makes hiding the bellyband a bit easier.

MVS
02-10-2015, 07:55 PM
How are you guys carrying the PPS in NPE's? Just curious. I've wanted a better option to a j-frame ankle rig for NPE's, but haven't found anything to suit me yet.My answer won't help much. I am almost never in a true NPE. For me I meant work, which I need to be low profile, but it is expected I carry there anyway.