PDA

View Full Version : Newest arrival: NY-1 massaged by Sand Burr's Denny Reichard

Totem Polar
01-31-2015, 12:47 AM

I am a bit of a fan of old-school NYPD cool: I've owned GPNYs and an SPNY, as well as such approved items as 642s and 3953s, natch. But my heart still belongs to the NY-1: S&W's answer to the NYPDs requests for medium framed, DAO service revolvers in .38 spec, and wearing bead blast finishes before they were cool. I had one of these in college (my only handgun at the time; I used it to take "top shot in class" honors at LFI-1 in the mid 90s), but sold it in a moment of weakness.

I therefore jumped at a chance to grab this one when it came up on GB; not only is it roughly the same era 4" 64 NY-1 as my old one, but this one has a rarer round butt, and more importantly, a duty action tune by Sand Burr's Denny Reichard. I couldn't be happier with the trigger, as this one is right up with the best I've had on an S&W--including my old Cylinder and Slide model 10. This thing is so glassy that I have to close my eyes and really concentrate to feel each aspect of the reset until the final two clicks at full forward return; as well, there is zero overtravel and a paucity of stacking feel.

In addition to the internal work, Denny chamfered each cylinder chamber with an *incredibly* subtle break; you can't really see it, but you can feel it in comparison to any stock K-frame (of which I have a few to compare) and it's all you need to keep those 158gr LSWCHPs from hanging up on the way in while speedloading on the clock, with nothing removed that you don't need gone. Perfect. As well, he countoured and polished the trigger in the way that only someone who is both a solid craftsman and a experienced trigger puller can do:

I'm digging it. Shoots well, too.

:D

45dotACP
01-31-2015, 01:45 AM
Hate meter officially pegged.

Beautiful wheelgun

Dagga Boy
01-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Awesome stuff. Wayne and I have our 4" NY-1 "HiTS Home Defense Revolvers" being worked up at Heirloom Precision right now, and seeing this doesn't help the wait. A lot of good work can be done with these guns, and we intend to prove that.

Like button hit.

Totem Polar
01-31-2015, 12:28 PM
^^^Just remember: lots of pics make kids happy. That's a project worth sharing.

:D

HRL
01-31-2015, 01:09 PM
What grips are those Sidheshooter? Been looking for rubber non-finger grooved open backstrap grips and have some pachmayr compac professionals but they're almost a bit too small.

Love model 10s/64s, shoot them more consistently than anything, easy on my surgically repaired wrist, and wife is comfortable with using it. Just wish it had better sights!

Dagga Boy
01-31-2015, 01:32 PM
Not Sideshooter, but those are PGS grips. Great concealment grips.

Hizzie
01-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Sexy Smith you have there!

Awesome stuff. Wayne and I have our 4" NY-1 "HiTS Home Defense Revolvers" being worked up at Heirloom Precision right now, and seeing this doesn't help the wait. A lot of good work can be done with these guns, and we intend to prove that.

Like button hit.

That many Glock shooters crying out with butthurt all at once could fracture the space time continuum.

David Armstrong
01-31-2015, 01:53 PM
One of my favorite, if not the favorite, revolvers is a 3" RB Mdl 64 NY-surplus/trade-in. I liked it so much I converted my 4" Mdl 65 to be a very close match, differing only in caliber and barrel length. Truly outstanding guns and it sounds like your is a great example of the breed.

LSP552
01-31-2015, 02:17 PM
A lot of good work can be done with these guns, and we intend to prove that.

There is an entire generation of shooters who don't have a clue what can be done by an experienced DA revolver shooter.

And to the OP, very nice!

Dagga Boy
01-31-2015, 02:55 PM
There is an entire generation of shooters who don't have a clue what can be done by an experienced DA revolver shooter.

And to the OP, very nice!

Since I started showing up at matches with my 686, I am seeing that. I think it has also been educational for everybody. The scary thing is that many of the very good shooters with polymer semi-autos would likely find that they would be even better if they spent some time running a wheel gun. You simply HAVE to be very accountable on your shots and you have to learn to press a trigger. The biggest thing for me is working through the long stacking trigger press and the control needed with it. It helps my service pistol shooting skills a lot in my mind.

Totem Polar
01-31-2015, 04:14 PM
What was it that SN/Craig said? Roughly: "people who cut their teeth on DA revolvers seldom have issues learning other triggers" (more or less).

Ps: oh yeah, hairy HiTS SME speaks the truth on grips:

http://www.precisiongunspecialties.com/hideout-main.html

They came with the gun. Nice grips.

SamAdams
01-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Very nice wheel gun !

I picked up a couple of 64s a few years ago. They are DAO and were surplus from an armor car company (I was told). They have excellent, smooth triggers. I can hardly imagine how good the trigger must be on the OP's 64. :)

HRL
01-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys have seen these before and been wondering where to get them from for awhile. Checked out the heirloom revolver conversion package. Very cool and sight system looks awesome, can't wait to hear more about them.

Totem Polar
01-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Very nice wheel gun !

I picked up a couple of 64s a few years ago. They are DAO and were surplus from an armor car company (I was told). They have excellent, smooth triggers. I can hardly imagine how good the trigger must be on the OP's 64. :)

I had a round butt "Brinks" model 64 that was the spitting image of my gun in the OP, minus customizing. Evidently Brinks, among other companies, still orders up the NY-spec package.

Oddly, that Brinks gun, while both gorgeous and fantastic, shot to POA with lighter bullets, eg. fast 110 grainers. I very reluctantly sold it because Every. Single. Other. K-frame or J-Frame I have (which is, uh, more than one) shoots identically in my hands: POA with 158gr loads.

I need all the help I can get: having one revolver off by inches at 15 yards didn't do much for my shooting.

That's the only fixed-sight S&W wheelie (or steel Ruger, for that matter) I've shot that didn't hit to POA with 158gr loads, or approximates. I'm sure yours rock like all the other 64s I've loved before. :D

Bigghoss
02-02-2015, 12:10 AM
I'll be in my bunk.

Nephrology
02-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Since I started showing up at matches with my 686, I am seeing that. I think it has also been educational for everybody. The scary thing is that many of the very good shooters with polymer semi-autos would likely find that they would be even better if they spent some time running a wheel gun. You simply HAVE to be very accountable on your shots and you have to learn to press a trigger. The biggest thing for me is working through the long stacking trigger press and the control needed with it. It helps my service pistol shooting skills a lot in my mind.

I will say unequivocally that my purchase of my Model 19 was the best thing I've done for shooting in years. It also brought some of the joy back into firearms collecting... I definitely have more Smiths that I will purchase sooner than later.

LHS
02-04-2015, 11:24 PM
One of my good friends has a similar setup. It started out as a 4" HB M10-8, issued to the head of a small security outfit who kept it in his desk and never carried it. When the company got bought out, disarmed the guard force and had all the guns sold through a local shop, my buddy was able to jump on that one. It then went to Nelson Ford to be converted to DAO, the trigger was polished, and now it's just plain awesome. That was the first revolver I ever handled that felt like a weapon to me, rather than a curiosity.

Moonshot
02-04-2015, 11:52 PM
I'll be in my bunk.

Another Firefly fan. One of the best series ever. OK, end of thread drift. That wheel gun is beautiful.

41magfan
02-06-2015, 09:28 PM
This is the medicine for a fixed-sight revolver that doesn't shoot to POA. It's not a pretty thing to witness, but it works just fine. :^)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/538/RGRI37.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eyRGRI37j)

LtDave
02-07-2015, 10:05 PM
This is the medicine for a fixed-sight revolver that doesn't shoot to POA. It's not a pretty thing to witness, but it works just fine. :^)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/538/RGRI37.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eyRGRI37j)
A long time ago I was the counterman/service writer at Cheshire & Perez in Monrovia, CA. They were a S&W distributor and warranty service center. We would not allow the customer to watch the gunsmiths "do their thing" . I think it was to prevent heart attacks and screaming fits.

PumpGunGuy
02-08-2015, 01:11 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but how are the items used to change POA

Thanks

PumpGunGuy
02-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but how are these used to change POI?

Thanks

HCM
02-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Babbit bars. http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/miscellaneous/080722010pdf.pdf

If I recall correctly they are made of lead and can be used for adjusting windage on Smith & Wesson fixed sight revolvers and I believe for knocking loose tightly fitted side plates during disassembly. Hopefully, one of the LSP's will chime in with a more detailed answer.

41magfan
02-08-2015, 01:28 PM
You use them to repeatedly strike the barrel with enough force to bend it in the right direction.

David Armstrong
02-08-2015, 05:13 PM
A long time ago I was the counterman/service writer at Cheshire & Perez in Monrovia, CA. They were a S&W distributor and warranty service center. We would not allow the customer to watch the gunsmiths "do their thing" . I think it was to prevent heart attacks and screaming fits.
Yes. When I went through the S&W revolver armorers course I brought a 36 for them to look at that I was having some trouble with. the cylinder was a little out of whack. The instructor turns around, digs in a box, then turns back around and started beating on my gun with the babbit. I wasn't sure if I should scream, hit him, or just pass out. Fortunately I just froze. Gun worked quite well after that!:)

PumpGunGuy
02-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the education.

I think I would have passed out.

Totem Polar
02-08-2015, 06:52 PM
^^^Law, sausage, and now add "revolver smithing" to the list.

Wayne Dobbs
02-08-2015, 09:25 PM
That's why if you were going to "adjust" a gun, you had the student/owner go away while the treatment was delivered.

Lex Luthier
01-04-2020, 11:39 PM
This is about as necro-posting as I have ever done in 20+ years of Internet presence, but I have watched a good armorer (then Sr Deputy George Knox, San Francisco Sheriff's Department, circa 1988) adjust a fixed-sight pinned barrel S & W that needed windage work.
He had a sick grin on the whole time, and asked me to not speak of what I'd seen. Now that he's likely long-retired, I can open my yap.

Good Lord, but I would enjoy and properly employ a 3" barreled round butt model 64 NY-1.

RIP, Denny.

Totem Polar
01-05-2020, 12:28 AM
Well, if you’re going to reanimate a thread this far dead, at least you picked one with killer wheelie pics. :D

paherne
01-05-2020, 02:15 AM
This is about as necro-posting as I have ever done in 20+ years of Internet presence, but I have watched a good armorer (then Sr Deputy George Knox, San Francisco Sheriff's Department, circa 1988) adjust a fixed-sight pinned barrel S & W that needed windage work.
He had a sick grin on the whole time, and asked me to not speak of what I'd seen. Now that he's likely long-retired, I can open my yap.

Good Lord, but I would enjoy and properly employ a 3" barreled round butt model 64 NY-1.

RIP, Denny.

George taught me how to shoot. I hope the RIP isn't for him. George hated S&W revolvers for duty issue, BTW. I lost track of him after I left SFSD.

Duelist
01-05-2020, 02:28 AM
George taught me how to shoot. I hope the RIP isn't for him. George hated S&W revolvers for duty issue, BTW. I lost track of him after I left SFSD.

I believe the RIP is for Denny Reichard.

Lex Luthier
01-05-2020, 10:17 AM

No, the RIP was for Mr. Reichard.
I too have lost track of George. I hope he is well.
I would be *very happy* to see him turn up here.

He also taught me to shoot; and all the revolvers I currently own have been through his hands.

He liked the issued Ruger Service-Six series, I recall.

HeavyDuty
01-05-2020, 11:14 AM
The 4” NY-1 RB in the OP gives me a serious chubby.

A 1980 era 3” 64 was my only handgun for a number of years - IIRC it was actually my second handgun purchase, but the one that stuck. (Stupid me bought a 4” 586 on my 21st birthday and only fed it the case of ten year old Remington-Peters full house 158g magnums I found in the basement. Turned me right off from the .357 for years.) I think I bought the 64 with my next paycheck as a reaction, and sold the 586 soon thereafter; I still have the 64 and will never sell it.

Because of the 64, I have a thing for RB K frames. In my late 20s I was considering a reserve officer position in my town, and almost bought a 4” 681 to use for that. I fully intended to send it off to be RBed but the commission never happened, and I’ve never been in a position to find another 681.

This is serious thread drift, but last year I did pick up a S&W that pulls the same strings for me. It’s a 4” RB 619, an L frame with an unlugged HB similar to a 65. I have a set of compact rubber Hogues on it, and it’s proving to be a delightful holster gun. I like revolvers for when I’m in the woods, and with me moving to moose and bear country...