PDA

View Full Version : HK P30SK

Pages : [1] 2

23JAZ
01-30-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm hearing rumors that HK is coming out with an SK version of the P30. Has anyone else heard this? My first reaction is, it's just interwebs BS. But it would be pretty sweet if it was true.

JBP55
01-30-2015, 06:16 PM
I think that rumor has been on the other HK forum for a while.

Polecat
01-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Yeah, it is true. There was a post on it at lenght over on HKPRO. An attendee at a Military Expo event actually put his paws on it, as did another on same forum. They commented on its size, look etc. No pics were taken to the decorum of the event. I thought it would be ready for Shot, but didn't happen. Can't wait to see it. Search "P30SK" over there and it pops up immediately.

23JAZ
01-30-2015, 06:32 PM
Yeah, it is true. There was a post on it at lenght over on HKPRO. An attendee at a Military Expo event actually put his paws on it, as did another on same forum. They commented on its size, look etc. No pics were taken to the decorum of the event. I thought it would be ready for Shot, but didn't happen. Can't wait to see it. Search "P30SK" over there and it pops up immediately.

That might be the one to get me off of Glocks for AIWB!

ARonBoard
01-31-2015, 10:34 AM
The P2000sk got me off Glocks already for AIWB. The ergos of a P30 would be another added bonus.

Dagga Boy
01-31-2015, 02:59 PM
To me, the P2000SK is the P30SK. It is un-needed in my mind compared to the critical need for a VP9SK. But hey......what do I know. I carry a P2000SK quite a bit and love the gun. If I could get one with the same trigger system as my VP9, it would make a natural back-up, off-duty gun for the VP9.

LOKNLOD
01-31-2015, 03:59 PM
To me, the P2000SK is the P30SK. It is un-needed in my mind compared to the critical need for a VP9SK. But hey......what do I know. I carry a P2000SK quite a bit and love the gun. If I could get one with the same trigger system as my VP9, it would make a natural back-up, off-duty gun for the VP9.

+1000. A P30SK is just a P2000sk with some grip stippling for all practical purposes. A VP9SK would be a much more logical addition to the line.

23JAZ
01-31-2015, 06:07 PM
I agree. My hope is that the P30SK will have a close to 5" grip since the standard size grip is bigger then the standard size P2000 grip. I've found that G19 length grip is the shortest I like to go.

LOKNLOD
02-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Taken with a grain (or 10) of salt, but I saw a thread over on HKPro about an apparent downtrend of P2000sk pricing. That COULD seem to support the idea they are trying to move inventory before a new, overlapping model comes out.

Corlissimo
02-02-2015, 10:49 AM
+1000. A P30SK is just a P2000sk with some grip stippling for all practical purposes. A VP9SK would be a much more logical addition to the line.

Agreed. Having carried both the P2SK and the P30L AIWB I can personally testify to the fact that the P30 does nothing more, or better, for me than the SK, except tear up my UA shirts like crazy. I live with that as I'm not inclined to sand the grips on the "body side" of my serious guns just in case I ever needed to rely on them to make a WHO shot.

LSP972
02-02-2015, 11:12 AM
For some of us, the problem with the P2000SK is that the "finger groove" hump is in EXACTLY the wrong place and precludes a proper grip. That's why I don't own one, and have been interested in the P30SK

Regarding size, I have absolutely no trouble concealing the full-size P2000, as I'm retired and can "dress around" it with ease. DB confirmed what I suspected... the P2000SK (and most likely the P30SK) are to their larger brethren as the G26 is to the G19; definitely smaller and a bit easier to hide, but offers no significant weight reduction- which is what I'm looking for.

The longer butt of the P30 tends to print a bit under my chosen outer garment; a holster change MIGHT alleviate this, but since my EDC is the HK45C and it doesn't print, and the whole family of those pistols (P2000, P30, HK45C) fit perfectly in my chosen holster, I have no plans to change that puppy.

Consequently, my ardor for a P30SK has cooled somewhat. But my point here is that there is indeed a "need" for the P30SK, albeit for a limited group of folks.

Corlissimo
02-02-2015, 01:04 PM
For some of us, the problem with the P2000SK is that the "finger groove" hump is in EXACTLY the wrong place and precludes a proper grip. That's why I don't own one, and have been interested in the P30SK

Regarding size, I have absolutely no trouble concealing the full-size P2000, as I'm retired and can "dress around" it with ease. DB confirmed what I suspected... the P2000SK (and most likely the P30SK) are to their larger brethren as the G26 is to the G19; definitely smaller and a bit easier to hide, but offers no significant weight reduction- which is what I'm looking for.

The longer butt of the P30 tends to print a bit under my chosen outer garment; a holster change MIGHT alleviate this, but since my EDC is the HK45C and it doesn't print, and the whole family of those pistols (P2000, P30, HK45C) fit perfectly in my chosen holster, I have no plans to change that puppy.

Consequently, my ardor for a P30SK has cooled somewhat. But my point here is that there is indeed a "need" for the P30SK, albeit for a limited group of folks.

I can get behind that. It makes sense.
Out of curiosity, are you referring to the pinky extension on the magazine or the raised portion on the front strap?

ETA: Wouldn't removing the bump, or reducing it, provide the needed relief?

RAM Engineer
02-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Taken with a grain (or 10) of salt, but I saw a thread over on HKPro about an apparent downtrend of P2000sk pricing. That COULD seem to support the idea they are trying to move inventory before a new, overlapping model comes out.

Several of their lines have come down in price over the last month, not just the P2000Sk. Now is the time for me to get that P2000 V2 I've always wanted.

CCT125US
02-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Several of their lines have come down in price over the last month, not just the P2000Sk. Now is the time for me to get that P2000 V2 I've always wanted.
I am patiently waiting several outlets to show stock status, and I will ad an Sk LEM. Just because.

LSP972
02-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Out of curiosity, are you referring to the pinky extension on the magazine or the raised portion on the front strap?

The raised portion on the front strap. Yes, I could grind it off, and had that as a Plan B if the P30SK failed to materialize. But after talking with DB, I realized that the sub-compact HK really wasn't what I am looking for. So I "suffer" the weight of the larger versions.

SecondsCount
02-02-2015, 03:22 PM
I am with the those that see no reason to have a P30SK and feel it is probably better for HK to spend some resources on the VP platform.

If I have to go smaller than a P2000 or P30 then I go with a Kahr P9 as thickness becomes more of an issue than grip or slide length.

23JAZ
02-03-2015, 05:48 PM
I am with the those that see no reason to have a P30SK and feel it is probably better for HK to spend some resources on the VP platform.

If I have to go smaller than a P2000 or P30 then I go with a Kahr P9 as thickness becomes more of an issue than grip or slide length.

How would a P2000 with a flat mag baseplate compare in height to a G19?

psalms144.1
02-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Jay - slightly shorter overall, and precisely how I set my P2000 up for carry when I moved away from my G19s several years back.

23JAZ
02-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Jay - slightly shorter overall, and precisely how I set my P2000 up for carry when I moved away from my G19s several years back.
I need to go handle one. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

LSP972
02-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Jay, the mag floorplate on G19s are slightly angled; the front is a bit lower than the back. The P2000's flat baseplate is parallel to the bore line. If the two stock pistols are placed upside-down on their sights on a flat surface, the P2000 is perhaps 1/8 inch "taller". The P2000 grip frame is over a quarter-inch "longer", but the Glock's magazine sticks out quite a bit from the bottom of its grip frame, and IMO its a wash.

The P2000 is perceptibly thicker than a G19; but just barely so. IOW, the slightly larger dimensions and ounce or two greater loaded weight of the P2000 simply do not make any difference when you're carrying. I have carried both, in the same type of kydex IWB holster, enough to verify this to my satisfaction.

I would, however, strongly suggest you explore the LEM option (V1 or V2). The V3 TDA trigger is pure conventionality; the decocker button on the rear face of the slide is just plain bizarre, as far as I'm concerned. And the HK mag release… well, you either love it or hate it. I love it, because finally I can eject a magazine without flipping the gun/shifting my grip. The P2000 does, however, benefit greatly from the elongated HK45C mag release. That is a drop-in part, takes all of 90 seconds to change out.

I would opine that the greatest drawback to the P2000 is a dearth of aftermarket sights. They exist, but of course not nearly in the variety you can find for a Glock. As for the issue HK trits; think Trijicons on a Sig. Decent and quite usable for those with good vision. My old man eyes struggle with those… the HUGE dots on the HK45/P30 sights were a true Godsend.

Anyway… if you are a Glock guy, tread carefully here. Exposure to HK can get expensive… but worth it.;)

Crusader8207
02-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Anyway… if you are a Glock guy, tread carefully here. Exposure to HK can get expensive… but worth it.;)

This is an understatement.... since buying my VP9, I now have a P2000SK, P2000, P30, and a P30L all V1. I love the VP9 but found it to be a little big for EDC for me, thus the purchase of the P2000SK. I really love the SK and that was the impetus for me to buy the other HKs. If a P30SK came out, I'm not sure Id buy..... who am I fooling. Yeah I probably would. :)

Regarding sights, I like the Trijicon HDs, I have them on all of my HKs except for the P30L where I have the 10-8 Performance/Fiber optic set up.

Rich
02-06-2015, 09:56 AM
I agree. My hope is that the P30SK will have a close to 5" grip since the standard size grip is bigger then the standard size P2000 grip. I've found that G19 length grip is the shortest I like to go.

I carried a P229 IWB for a long time and never had problems hiding it under a t shirt. P229 Height = 5.4

I now carry a P30S IWB and had to go up a size larger t shirt ! P30 Height = 5.43

Just that little bit made a difference.

RAM Engineer
02-06-2015, 10:22 AM
A P2000 with TLG LEM trigger, P30 style grip and P30 sight dovetails would be my dream gun. BUT, I would give up the grip if I could only get the sights.

23JAZ
02-06-2015, 10:27 AM
A P2000 with TLG LEM trigger, P30 style grip and P30 sight dovetails would be my dream gun. BUT, I would give up the grip if I could only get the sights.

+1

CCT125US
02-06-2015, 12:24 PM
I have the 10-8 Performance/Fiber optic set up.

Are you able to easily post a shooter's POV of that set up? I am thinking of doing that same thing.

psalms144.1
02-06-2015, 06:00 PM
A P2000 with TLG LEM trigger, P30 style grip and P30 sight dovetails would be my dream gun. BUT, I would give up the grip if I could only get the sights.If I could have found a decent set of sights for my P2000, I would probably never have gone back to the Glock (and my BP would be 20 points lower). But, beg as I might, Ameriglo is not going to turn out sights for the P2K family. Same same for 10-8, and Heinie, and...

If I could have found a set of Trijicon HDs for less than half-a-glock installed, I might have gone that way and still be carrying the P2000, but it wasn't to be.

ARonBoard
02-06-2015, 09:52 PM
If I could have found a decent set of sights for my P2000, I would probably never have gone back to the Glock (and my BP would be 20 points lower). But, beg as I might, Ameriglo is not going to turn out sights for the P2K family. Same same for 10-8, and Heinie, and...

If I could have found a set of Trijicon HDs for less than half-a-glock installed, I might have gone that way and still be carrying the P2000, but it wasn't to be.

It's probably too late now but there a member on HKpro that installs Trijicon HDs free and sources them for ~$120.

Crusader8207
02-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Give me a couple of days and I will get a pic for you.

Are you able to easily post a shooter's POV of that set up? I am thinking of doing that same thing.

Rich
02-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Question? is the P2000 SK to big to be carried in front pocket of cargo pants/shorts

JBP55
02-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Question? is the P2000 SK to big to be carried in front pocket of cargo pants/shorts

It is slightly larger than a G26/G27/G33.

hufnagel
02-07-2015, 11:50 AM

going to have to say that'll depend on your particular pants, really. (their size and your size taken together.) I can certainly front pocket my P2000SK in my jeans (Wrangler relaxed fit size 38-29 for the record), but it can easily hang up the sights on the pocket.

GJM
12-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Recently, Mr_White mentioned that he got to shoot a student's light LEM P30SK, in a class, and was favorably impressed. Being an HK fan boy, I saw one on Gunbroker with light LEM, three mags and factory night sights for a good price, and grabbed it. This afternoon, I got to shoot it for the first time. If you don't care to read the details, I really liked it.

Taking it out of the box, I noticed the rear sight was set just a smidgen right, almost as if HK had regulated it for my eyes. First task was shooting it at 25 yards to check zero and get a feel for accuracy. Here was five rounds of Gold Dot 124+P:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/IMG_5153_zpsxubdvwow.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/IMG_5153_zpsxubdvwow.jpg.html)

Then I shot HST 147, and while not as tight a group, it was still darn good, and about three inches. Based on this and the rest of my shooting, it is clear the SK is accurate. A nice surprise was the OEM Metro sights seem close to tip of the front sight on the P30 series, as opposed to drive the dot I often experience with the USP and USP Compact pistols. Comparing sight radius between the P30sk and my USP Compact, radius is basically identical. While the SK has a shorter barrel, the rear sight protrudes rear of the dovetail, making up the difference. I find the OEM rear sight to be nicely dehorned, and for my use I plan to leave the Metro sights.

I did all my shooting with the SK magazine and found it to give me a full firing grip. I noticed that I had to work fairly hard to not break my grip with strings of 124+P, where the 147 recoiled less. I have since added some grip tape to the upper part of the left side of the grip. Subsequent to the accuracy testing, I shot another 150 rounds of mixed ammo, with no stoppages. Brass ejected nicely, as you expect with an HK. I then shot some Garcia dots, and found the pistol to cycle well.

When I shoot a P200SK, I always feel that I am selecting the pistol for its hammer more than for pure shooting. At least today, I thought the P30SK was actually a darn good shooter. For someone looking for a pistol that reliably works right out of the box without modification, is accurate, reasonably easy to shoot, and safe, I would definitely consider recommending the P30SK as checking those boxes, and at a reasonable price. The P30SK joins the Glock 26 as my two favorite shooting smaller pistols. Tony has a George in process for me and the SK along with a 15 round P30 magazine where allowed, and a ten rounder or two in regressive states would seem to be a good combo.

Can't wait to receive Ernest's PX4 Compact, and see how that compares!

RJ
12-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks GJM, good info.

By chance did you shoot the P30SK with the USPc magazine? I've gotten one USPc 13 round mag with an X Grip, it is my most comfortable mag between regular 10 round, 10 round with +0 pinky, 13 USPc+X, and 15 round VP9 with X.

GJM
12-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Rich, a few thoughts. First, I forgot to mention in my previous post, that the combination of the P30SK mag well shape and the design of the finger ledge magazine, is such, that I am not pinching my hand with aggressive reloads. For me, that is a major benefit.

To answer your question, I find X Grip type things to contribute to some of the worst pinches ever, when reloading quickly. Dry fire, I tried the USP C/P2000 and P30 mags, and neither jumped out as feeling better. Since this is not a game gun, I would prioritize capacity over comfort, and take the 15 round P30 magazine. Since I have USP C, P30 and the P30SK pistols, I will certainly run my spare P30 mag bare without any type of adapter.

DocSabo40
12-27-2016, 09:38 PM
I did all my shooting with the SK magazine and found it to give me a full firing grip.

Do you have a picture of this by chance GJM? I've been interested in the SK, but it looks to be a 2 finger grip.

GJM
12-27-2016, 09:58 PM
Do you have a picture of this by chance GJM? I've been interested in the SK, but it looks to be a 2 finger grip.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/IMG_5154_zpsxqmfx6e1.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/IMG_5154_zpsxqmfx6e1.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/IMG_5155_zpsariewuly.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/IMG_5155_zpsariewuly.jpg.html)

Guinnessman
12-27-2016, 10:32 PM
GJM,

Are the P30sk's shipping with the pinky extension, or is this just another item that requires a trip to the Hkparts website? Thanks!

GJM
12-27-2016, 10:33 PM
GJM,

Are the P30sk's shipping with the pinky extension, or is this just another item that requires a trip to the Hkparts website? Thanks!

Mine came with Mepro night sights and three magazines, two of which had the extension.

Guinnessman
12-27-2016, 11:03 PM
George,

Thanks for the info! A P2000 or P30sk will be arriving once I decide what I want for a late Christmas gift.

hufnagel
12-28-2016, 06:59 AM
given P30SK's seem to run about 10% cheaper than P2000SK's do, and they're more flexible in their grip panel choices, I'd lean towards the P30SK. This from a person who likes his pair of P2000SK's.

GJM
12-28-2016, 08:05 AM
I lean towards the P30SK for a number of reasons:

1) more sight options for the P30 series

2) P30 seems to more often hit tip of front sight compared to drive the dot with the P2000

3) P30SK has more traction on grip.

4) P30SK is more adjustable with side panels.

5) P30SK comes with a bigger mag release.

6) P30SK readily available with light LEM.

7) P30SK design makes it less likely to pinch reloading.

8) P30SK mag well seems more forgiving.

9) with finger ledge magazine extension, P30SK offers a full finger grip.

10) P30SK is less expensive.

Dagga Boy
12-28-2016, 12:29 PM
I lean towards the P30SK for a number of reasons:

1) more sight options for the P30 series

2) P30 seems to more often hit tip of front sight compared to drive the dot with the P2000

3) P30SK has more traction on grip.

4) P30SK is more adjustable with side panels.

5) P30SK comes with a bigger mag release.

6) P30SK readily available with light LEM.

7) P30SK design makes it less likely to pinch reloading.

8) P30SK mag well seems more forgiving.

9) with finger ledge magazine extension, P30SK offers a full finger grip.

10) P30SK is less expensive.

Yep.....

I posted on it elsewhere, but a bit of a rehash. I did not think I needed a P30SK until I got one and decided it was just different enough from the P2000 to justify. First time I shot it, it was fantastic, except it shot a little high. I likely should have left well enough alone.....but fell in love with it for a travel gun and kind of made it not so great. I started monkeying around with sights and have not had good luck with my normal preferred 10-8 rear and stock front. Tried a couple different front sights and they are not doing what I want in combination with the 10-8 rear. Not tragic level bad, just not perfect. I also used the P30 Sk as my LEM 4.1 experiment. I like the 4.1, but I found that performance wise going to the Medium weight LEM from the light LEM and the sights that required me to spend more time on them made the P30SK not as good a performer for me as a P2000SK with a light LEM and Trijicon Orange HD's. I prefer the handling of the P30SK to the P2000SK, but I need to make up for the performance gap I have now on precision shooting. For speed stuff close, the P30SK handles like a bigger gun, which is a big plus for me.
The P30SK is getting Trijicon HD's installed be a local guy and when I eventually get it back it will be a dedicated range session to see again where I am at shooting wise against the P2000SK. Hopefully, the sights will hit dead on like they do on the P2000SK and I can shoot the medium LEM reasonably close to the light LEM.
It is a process right now to get the P30SK configured the way I want and also performing as well as it did when I first got it. I hated the Meprolight sights for concealed carry, but I may have been better off just leaving them alone and blackened the rears with a sharpie.
I would like the P30SK to be my daily carry, but right now I am doing fine with the P2000SK until I get the P30SK perfect.

My normal load with it is to use a 10 round flat magazine and two spares on my body and two in a bag. When I travel I use Five Ten rounders for going to ban States. When not going to ban states, I use VP 9/P30 magazines as spares.

LtDave
12-28-2016, 03:24 PM
I like my P30SK too. Feels much better than a G26. I like the Springer Precision base plates. They give me just enough purchase for my pinkie finger. Shoots 6 different factory JHP's under 2" at 20 yards.

Grey
12-28-2016, 04:24 PM
damn I want a P30SK so bad...

Kyle Reese
12-28-2016, 04:34 PM
damn I want a P30SK so bad...

$499.99 (https://www.cdnnsports.com/hk-p30sk-subcompact-9mm-v1-lem.html) at CDNN. :cool:

DanPop
12-28-2016, 05:23 PM
CDNN is a Great company, no one else is under $550 for a V1. I have bought 2 guns from them, smooth as butter. My P30sk will be coming from them.

Myrideishot
12-28-2016, 05:30 PM
I just bought one from cdnn and it was at my dealer two days later. Great customer service and the gun is amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Grey
12-28-2016, 07:07 PM
You all aren't helping...

Kyle Reese
12-28-2016, 07:17 PM

You should totally order one.

RJ
12-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Got a question for ya'll experts: I'm assuming that the "standard" sight picture for HKs is sight picture 3, as in the attached graphic. I guess I've gotten this impression based on so many posts over at the "pro" forum, when the question of sight picture comes up.

So, if I read my P30SK Operator's Manual, on page 20 is a diagram which kind of suggests that the rounds should impact directly over the front sight, or sight picture 2. (The same diagram is in my VP9 manual.)

So far, I don't really have a lot of rounds through the P30SK (306 rounds) but my sense is that so far, it seems to like the "drive the dot" sight picture. I have the standard HK glow in the dark sights that came with the gun (P30SK Lite LEM V1) Given my limited experience, is there anything I'm missing here in terms of using sight picture 3 for both of my HKs?

Yes I realize I need training, and I'm working on that, but I don't want to miss something fairly obvious if there is some key difference in sight picture.

Thanks!

Grey
12-28-2016, 07:26 PM
I already have 10 compact mags too...

GJM
12-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Depending on distance and variation in ammo, indidual pistols and shooter technique, you might see any of those. The Mepro sights on my P30 SK shoot like picture two.

RJ
12-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Depending on distance and variation in ammo, indidual pistols and shooter technique, you might see any of those. The Mepro sights on my P30 SK shoot like picture two.

Thanks GJM. I am carrying with P9HST2 147 JHP. The first 10 rounds of these at 5 yards look like the below, with drive the dot/sight picture 3. I think I am ok, but thought I would ask.

RJ
12-28-2016, 07:46 PM

Nope. :)

You should totally order one.

Definitely. :)

I already have 10 compact mags too...

See, there you go. :cool:

I like mine, here with the +0 pinky HK parts extension (GJM has the Gucci HK 10 round w/ pinky versions on his) and a Dale Fricke Zach holster I use inside my fanny pack.

11B10
12-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Nope. :)

Definitely. :)

See, there you go. :cool:

I like mine, here with the +0 pinky HK parts extension (GJM has the Gucci HK 10 round w/ pinky versions on his) and a Dale Fricke Zach holster I use inside my fanny pack.

Doggone you, Rich_Jenkins and all the rest! I have absolutely NO money, was virtually CERTAIN that I was gonna be downsizing from my Sig P320 to either a G26 or a G19, selling my Sig to finance it (remember - no money?). Then, along you gents come, with all your great tales about the holiest of handguns, backing them up with pictures showing not just great shot groups, but, MOST unfairly, the guns themselves! To add insult to injury, one of your number provides a website with prices commensurate with the Glocks I pursue! I am sorely distressed - just what in THE hell am I supposed to do?

GJM
12-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Thanks GJM. I am carrying with P9HST2 147 JHP. The first 10 rounds of these at 5 yards look like the below, with drive the dot/sight picture 3. I think I am ok, but thought I would ask.

Rich, in my experience, a five yard target says much more about trigger control than sight regulation. Do you have some 15, 20 or 25 yard targets with that pistol?

RJ
12-28-2016, 08:33 PM
Rich, in my experience, a five yard target says much more about trigger control than sight regulation. Do you have some 15, 20 or 25 yard targets with that pistol?

Ok, this is about all I can find.

This was 10 rounds of S&B 115 at 25 yards on a 15 x 15 cm USPSA Metric head box. 7 of 10 in the box. Same drive the dot hold.

Thoughts?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161229/2e3621a96baf599005dd4ae5072fb1d6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flyrodr
12-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Doggone you, Rich_Jenkins and all the rest!

Yes, instigators all!!!

GJM
12-28-2016, 09:27 PM

This was 10 rounds of S&B 115 at 25 yards on a 15 x 15 cm USPSA Metric head box. 7 of 10 in the box. Same drive the dot hold.

Thoughts?

Shows promise! I would want to shoot some carry ammo at that distance and see what you get. At 25, ammo starts to be important in terms of overall accuracy and POI.

ClintHall
12-29-2016, 10:53 AM
For what it's worth--CDNN is offering the V1 LEM 9mm P30sk for $500.

11B10
12-29-2016, 11:10 AM
For what it's worth--CDNN is offering the V1 LEM 9mm P30sk for $500.

Clint, do NOT rub it in. Please?

hufnagel
12-29-2016, 11:40 AM
No. I will NOT buy another gun. No. No. No. Nope. No way. No how. Nope. No. No. I'm not applying for more permits yet. No. No. No.

Duelist
12-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Huh. And here I was thinking I don't need any more guns, and certainly don't need to spend the coin for an H&K.

Kram
12-29-2016, 12:41 PM
I am so tempted to jump on that CDNN deal and give the LEM another try.

noguns
12-29-2016, 01:15 PM
I find my p30sk v1 trigger to be a little nicer than my p30 v1 and a p30L .40 v1 I purchased recently.
I also prefer carrying with a usp magazine without an x grip.
Just buy one! An HK for $500 is a great deal!

RJ
12-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Clint, do NOT rub it in. Please?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161229/0d4e506d03e177a659f7da52d73661bd.jpg

11B you need a hat, too. :)

MGW
12-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Rich, Dagga Boy, and others. What's the transition between the VP9 and p30sk V1 like? I can't find a light LEM around to demo and I really want to know how difficult it is to switch back and forth between a VP9 and an SK.

flyrodr
12-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Rich, Dagga Boy, and others. What's the transition between the VP9 and p30sk V1 like? I can't find a light LEM around to demo and I really want to know how difficult it is to switch back and forth between a VP9 and an SK.

I'll be interested to hear what Darryl, George, etc. have to say. I was just at range today with P2000SK (V1) and VP9 (completely stock), focusing almost entirely on P2000SK. No timer, and no measuring of groups, but accuracy-wise, I was OK with the SK, and better with the VP9. Speed-wise (and I'm not a ride to reset sort of shooter; I go past reset), well, I guess I'd not suggest a cold transition from SK to VP9. To me, the VP9 trigger is more toward the 1911 end of the scale, relative to take-up (after slack is out). Darryl has pointed out several times that that extra take-up allows a safety margin ("room for thought"). If your brain/finger is "adjusted" to the SK, you could easily have a premature ignition, if you're trying to maximize shooting speed, and have just switched to the VP9 with no transition after shooting the SK V1. Either can be shot well and safely at speed, but at least I wouldn't want to switch and try that cold. Run a transitional mag or two through the VP9, and I'm pretty good to go. Of course speed is relative too, and somewhat distant kin to me . . .

RJ
12-29-2016, 05:36 PM

I'm flattered to even be mentioned, because I tell ya, I'm personal friends with Dunning and Kruger. :cool: :)

No, seriously; I think it's probably better to get input from those vastly more experienced than I in manipulating triggers, like GJM, DB and other high speed low drag shooters.

GJM
12-29-2016, 05:44 PM
cross posted from USP thread:

In light of the arrival of the new P30 SK light LEM, I decided to benchmark the SK, USP C 9 light LEM, USP C 9 DA/SA, and USP FS 9 with hybrid match LEM trigger. I shot a variety of drills from up close to far, including Gabe's tests, FAST, Garcia dots, and eight inch steel at 30 yards. No surprise that the USP FS 9 shot best, as that LEM trigger is to me the best LEM available on any HK hammer gun. What did surprise me was that I consistently shot the P30SK better than either the USP C DA/SA or LEM. After the P30SK it went USP C DA/SA and finally the USP C LEM. Interestingly, where the slide on HK hammer pistols often reminds me of a boat at sea in big waves, the P30SK cycled very flat, likely a function of the short slide. Very surprising that I shot that better than either USP C and that the DA/SA was easier to shoot than the LEM.

GAP
12-29-2016, 06:52 PM
I must be a strange character to actually prefer the shorter two finger grip pistols over their larger counterparts. I think it's because without my pinky on there I don't have a tendency to pull down as I'm shooting which improves accuracy for me.

I am 10000000% happy with my multiple Glock 26s, my MGW rear sight pusher, several dozen magazines and the ability to maintain all of my Glocks with about $10 worth of springs. But man, if I were starting over that P30Sk would be under serious consideration.

If anyone is wondering an Ameriglo Operator Rear and a .180" height front sight are dead on drive the dot style at 25 yards with P9HST2. :cool:

GJM
12-29-2016, 07:01 PM
I must be a strange character to actually prefer the shorter two finger grip pistols over their larger counterparts. I think it's because without my pinky on there I don't have a tendency to pull down as I'm shooting which improves accuracy for me.

I am 10000000% happy with my multiple Glock 26s, my MGW rear sight pusher, several dozen magazines and the ability to maintain all of my Glocks with about $10 worth of springs. But man, if I were starting over that P30Sk would be under serious consideration.

If anyone is wondering an Ameriglo Operator Rear and a .180" height front sight are dead on drive the dot style at 25 yards with P9HST2. :cool:

Not sure you should fess up to carrying less than a full size pistol. :)

Kidding aside, I think the G26 and P30SK are two of the top choices in that size range. Interestingly, they seem very different, in that the HK seems way better designed and overbuilt by comparison. However, in terms of performance, while they each have their pluses and minuses, their relative performance is very close.

JHC
12-29-2016, 07:23 PM
Better designed in what way?
User troubleshooting and maintenance perhaps?
;)

GJM
12-29-2016, 07:28 PM
;)

Has hammer. :)

JHC
12-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Dueling fanboys.

It does sound like a cool little pistol.

GAP
12-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Not sure you should fess up to carrying less than a full size pistol. :)

Kidding aside, I think the G26 and P30SK are two of the top choices in that size range. Interestingly, they seem very different, in that the HK seems way better designed and overbuilt by comparison. However, in terms of performance, while they each have their pluses and minuses, their relative performance is very close.

Yea, carrying less than a full sized pistol is this forum's version of, "oh you carry that nazi pebble, step up to the forty-five American like a real man." ;)

Guinnessman
12-29-2016, 07:57 PM
;)

Troubleshooting?.............Dude this is a HAMMER fired HK thread!;):p

11B10
12-29-2016, 08:23 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161229/0d4e506d03e177a659f7da52d73661bd.jpg

11B you need a hat, too. :)

First, notice I "liked" this ^^^^. Now, can you loan me $500.00 till blind Tom sees me?

Eric_L
12-29-2016, 08:36 PM
GJM's comment below your post is spot on. Heavier bullets shoot higher, so some 147 might land at the top of the front sight. Only testing will let you know.

Thoughts?

MGW
12-29-2016, 09:48 PM
I'm flattered to even be mentioned, because I tell ya, I'm personal friends with Dunning and Kruger. :cool: :)

No, seriously; I think it's probably better to get input from those vastly more experienced than I in manipulating triggers, like GJM, DB and other high speed low drag shooters.

I know that you have experience with both and from reading your journal know that you put effort into training with both. That means something to me.

Edit: I just remembered that you're left handed. That screws up everything. Your impressions will be completely backwards [emoji3]

RJ
12-29-2016, 10:00 PM
I know that you have experience with both and from reading your journal know that you put effort into training with both. That means something to me.

Edit: I just remembered that you're left handed. That screws up everything. Your impressions will be completely backwards [emoji3]

Thanks! I'll get 'em both out tomorrow and conjure up some side by side impressions of the respective triggers, fwiw.

CDFIII
12-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Damn iPhone actually auto ordered a HK P30sk LEM this morning. I swear I didn't do anything. For the CDNN price I couldn't pass it up. in reality I just can't so no when it involves HK.

11B10
12-30-2016, 02:11 PM

Greg - thanks for "outing" Rich. My one and only brother is a lefty and has always been a pain, too. LOL

Doc_Glock
12-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Damn iPhone actually auto ordered a HK P30sk LEM this morning. I swear I didn't do anything. For the CDNN price I couldn't pass it up. in reality I just can't so no when it involves HK.

Pistol forum deal finders strike again! Somehow it virally migrated to my phone as well.

JHC
12-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Pistol forum deal finders strike again! Somehow it virally migrated to my phone as well.

Bloody hell. https://www.cdnnsports.com/hk-p30sk-subcompact-9mm-v1-lem.html?___SID=U

Kram
12-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Bloody hell. https://www.cdnnsports.com/hk-p30sk-subcompact-9mm-v1-lem.html?___SID=U

I'm glad it's sold out. The temptation was strong.

RJ
12-30-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks! I'll get 'em both out tomorrow and conjure up some side by side impressions of the respective triggers, fwiw.

Ok, here are a few impressions comparing my stock BF (2015) date code VP9 with 2,000+ rounds with my stock BG (2016) dated code P30SK LEM V1 with 306 rounds.

Trigger Weight

Mas Ayoob's article (http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/19/gun-test-hk-p30sk/) on his low S/N P30SK Light LEM indicates the SK pull weight is 6.13 lbs. HK's web site (http://hk-usa.com/hk-models/vp9/) says the pull weight on the VP9 is 5.4 lbs.

Subjectively, this matches my experience. My VP9 is fairly well broken in with 2K rounds, and it would not surprise me if it were lighter than 5.4 lbs, but I do not have a pull gauge. For certain, when pressing both pistols to the wall and squeezing, the VP9 sear trips much earlier and easier than the P30SK Lite LEM.

Trigger Distance

The difference here is very dramatic. HK published data shows the trigger travel at 0.24", and this is what I measure exactly. I get almost 7/8" of travel on my P30SK, and the difference is very obvious between the two pistols.

Subjective Feel

The VP9 trigger feels very "quick", as you would expect with 1/4" of travel and just over 5 lbs. The P30SK LEM travels a long way, before getting to the wall, as it requires a very deliberate pull and press in order to release the hammer.

Oddly (or at least for me) the fact that one is a hammer and one is a striker, makes virtually no perceptible difference in 'feel'. For me anyway, I close my eyes and the sear release/hammer fall have just about the same impact on the web of my hand; just a little "click".

I feel almost the same in live fire; the only thing I've noticed is that (for some reason) I like the hammer much better - although this may be a psychological effect from watching the hammer fall out of the corner of my eye. I've shot "the test" (10 rounds/10 yards/10s on a B8) with both; and shot comparable scores with both.

I will also add some thoughts from the very first range session I had with the P30SK; this was the second LEM pistol I'd ever shot (first was a buddy's P2000SK last year):

I found the whole LEM trigger complexity was vastly overblown, for me. Pull trigger: gun go bang. It really seems pretty straightforward. Plus, if you decide you don't want to shoot, simply release trigger and index on slide. The break is easy to find, every time; I did not have any trouble shooting, even in rapid fire strings. My accuracy (for me) was astonishing; I found it very easy to get the sight on target, and hold it, without any of the whole "staple gun" feel I get with SFA actions. It was really a "wow" session.

Again, I'm no expert, but I've shot my VP9 a lot to know that, for games (USPSA, Steel), I think the short, quick trigger is a plus. For carry, though, having a trigger that is fairly long travel (almost four times as long) with slightly more trigger weight gives my lizard brain something to do during the trigger press. As in, do I really need to shoot this guy?

Also, having a hammer to thumb while holstering gives my lizard brain a belly rub. I also like the 7/8" of potential travel before something awkward happens. So between the hammer and long travel, for a carry gun, yeah, mo betta'. The VP9 short take up and lighter trigger, I dunno if I'd be that thrilled with carry, to be honest. So I don't.

As to going back and forth, I doubt if that would such a great idea for me. For where my experience level is "right now", it probably would be hard for me to be "as effective", in terms of those "split time" things that you guys in the know go on about. Here's an example of maybe why: Doing the comparison in trigger presses, holding both pistols in either hand, I squeezed both at the same time. The VP9 "clicked" unexpectedly. Meaning I had the dry practice equivalent of a ND. (NDP? :cool:) So the VP9 lighter, shorter trigger might take a bit to get used to, after shooting the P30SK a while.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on VP9 vs. P30SK. HTH.

EDIT: I'm a lefty. Strike all after Good Morning. :)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161230/01a924532e04fc32004cfe9c2f4d8955.jpg

JeffDG
12-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Just got the email that my P30sk was shipped! I opted for the LE LEM model. I wanted the night sights and extra mag. Paid $635 shipped from Buds. Really looking forward to picking it up and hitting the range. Merry Christmas to me :cool:.

MGW
12-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Rich. I've found over time that I like a trigger with a lot of tactile feedback to it. I'm not going to do a good job of explaining what I mean by that but most striker guns don't have the feedback I prefer. The VP9 is an exception but I think that has more to do with the shape of the trigger and also how far forward it breaks.

I honestly haven't been able to find any negative feedback about the LEM P30sk. I'm intrigued by this little pistol but I'm really hesitant to buy something that I haven't had the opportunity to shoot. I think I'm going to expand my rental search radius and see if I can at least find a P30 with the light LEM to try first. I also think I'll wait to see if HK does anything crazy like release a VP9c at shot this year.

RJ
12-30-2016, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the reply Rich. I've found over time that I like a trigger with a lot of tactile feedback to it. I'm not going to do a good job of explaining what I mean by that but most striker guns don't have the feedback I prefer. The VP9 is an exception but I think that has more to do with the shape of the trigger and also how far forward it breaks.

I honestly haven't been able to find any negative feedback about the LEM P30sk. I'm intrigued by this little pistol but I'm really hesitant to buy something that I haven't had the opportunity to shoot. I think I'm going to expand my rental search radius and see if I can at least find a P30 with the light LEM to try first. I also think I'll wait to see if HK does anything crazy like release a VP9c at shot this year.

I gotcha. Totally understand needing a rental trial period. If you were any where close to Tampa, I'd be happy to drive and meet you somewhere to see/finger/shoot mine.

If there was one thing I'd probably prefer, it would be for a "slightly" (hard to quantify) heavier take-up on the LEM on mine. Don't get me wrong, it is fine stock, and as a carry gun, I'm not real crazy about modifying it. If I won the lottery, I'd get a P30 and take an armorer's course, then start fiddling around with springs and what not.

Definitely interested in what the mothership introduces at SHOT (if anything.) I gave up waiting for a VP9c a long while ago, and bought a Walther PPS M2. Liked it a lot, but wasn't thrilled with 6/7/8 round capacities. The back end of the striker thing that stuck out was a good thing, though. But I am still very glad I traded the M2 for the P30SK.

Much happier with a hammer for carry (for me), now that I know a bit more about shooting.

Good luck with your search!

RJ
12-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Just got the email that my P30sk was shipped! I opted for the LE LEM model. I wanted the night sights and extra mag. Paid $635 shipped from Buds. Really looking forward to picking it up and hitting the range. Merry Christmas to me :cool:.

Cool beans. :cool: I hear those Meprolight sights are pretty nice.

Be interested in if you get the new HK textured pinky rest 10-round magazines with it. Those look good, but are a bit costly at HKparts.net.

Guinnessman
12-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Cool beans. :cool: I hear those Meprolight sights are pretty nice.

Be interested in if you get the new HK textured pinky rest 10-round magazines with it. Those look good, but are a bit costly at HKparts.net.

Rich,

I talked to Mike over at Cross Creek Guns, and he said the latest LE models come with Meps, 2 finger rest mags, and 1 flat mag FWIW. I am placing my order this weekend.

GJM gotta be getting kickbacks from HK.............;)

JeffDG
12-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Oh that makes me smile even more! HK sells the ten rounders with the extension installed for $50 iirc.

11B10
12-30-2016, 07:30 PM
I gotcha. Totally understand needing a rental trial period. If you were any where close to Tampa, I'd be happy to drive and meet you somewhere to see/finger/shoot mine.

If there was one thing I'd probably prefer, it would be for a "slightly" (hard to quantify) heavier take-up on the LEM on mine. Don't get me wrong, it is fine stock, and as a carry gun, I'm not real crazy about modifying it. If I won the lottery, I'd get a P30 and take an armorer's course, then start fiddling around with springs and what not.

Definitely interested in what the mothership introduces at SHOT (if anything.) I gave up waiting for a VP9c a long while ago, and bought a Walther PPS M2. Liked it a lot, but wasn't thrilled with 6/7/8 round capacities. The back end of the striker thing that stuck out was a good thing, though. But I am still very glad I traded the M2 for the P30SK.

Much happier with a hammer for carry (for me), now that I know a bit more about shooting.

Good luck with your search!

I'd be satisfied with being able to buy one new handgun. That's all I want.

RJ
12-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Rich,

I talked to Mike over at Cross Creek Guns, and he said the latest LE models come with Meps, 2 finger rest mags, and 1 flat mag FWIW. I am placing my order this weekend.

GJM gotta be getting kickbacks from HK.............;)

That is an excellent deal. I am pretty happy with my 13 round USPc magazine for carry, but the pinky rest aluminum extension I bought also works well, replacing one of my 10-round flat floor plate mags that came with my standard edition. Those HK 10 rounders do look very swish.

One of the unanticipated significant advantages of buying a P30SK was the mag compatibility with the VP9/P30 family. I have 15, 13, and 10 round mags and they all kind of mix and match. I bought a couple 10 round ban state mags as well, so I now have a bunch of different options between the two pistols. For example, if I wanted to shoot a Steel match with my P30SK, I could just use four or so VP9 15 round mags and VP9 mag pouches. Same for USPSA.

Which makes me ask this side question:

I have a simple, open top Blade Tech range holster for my VP9 for games. I am having trouble (or my search-fu sucks, more likely) finding a similar holster for the P30SK. I realize the SK is a carry gun, mostly, and a subcompact, so it's a little weird to ask about an OWB for it, but if anybody sees something like this for the SK, please let me know.

Grey
12-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Missed out on the cdnn deal. Probably for the best. Maybe after house reno I can seriously think about new hardware.

JeffDG
12-30-2016, 08:36 PM
I have a simple, open top Blade Tech range holster for my VP9 for games. I am having trouble (or my search-fu sucks, more likely) finding a similar holster for the P30SK. I realize the SK is a carry gun, mostly, and a subcompact, so it's a little weird to ask about an OWB for it, but if anybody sees something like this for the SK, please let me know.

I imagine regular P30 holsters would work? I hope so at least [emoji23]. I plan on a P30/P30L next.

Guinnessman
12-30-2016, 08:50 PM
That is an excellent deal. I am pretty happy with my 13 round USPc magazine for carry, but the pinky rest aluminum extension I bought also works well, replacing one of my 10-round flat floor plate mags that came with my standard edition. Those HK 10 rounders do look very swish.

One of the unanticipated significant advantages of buying a P30SK was the mag compatibility with the VP9/P30 family. I have 15, 13, and 10 round mags and they all kind of mix and match. I bought a couple 10 round ban state mags as well, so I now have a bunch of different options between the two pistols. For example, if I wanted to shoot a Steel match with my P30SK, I could just use four or so VP9 15 round mags and VP9 mag pouches. Same for USPSA.

Which makes me ask this side question:

Rich,

Once my SK shows up I will stuff it in my JM Custom OWB and George that was built for a VP9, but it just so happens that a P30 rides in those most of the time. As a fellow lefty, I buy holsters from JM and DSG because they make my life easy. ;)

burntorangefan
12-30-2016, 09:24 PM
I imagine regular P30 holsters would work? I hope so at least [emoji23]. I plan on a P30/P30L next.

P30 and the SK use the same holsters. My SK piggybacks in all my P30 holsters, as that's the gun I owned first - like many.

RJ
12-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Rich,

Once my SK shows up I will stuff it in my JM Custom OWB and George that was built for a VP9, but it just so happens that a P30 rides in those most of the time. As a fellow lefty, I buy holsters from JM and DSG because they make my life easy. ;)

Hmm, interesting.

My SK DOES NOT fit at all in my JM CK strong side VP9 IWB, at all.

Luke
12-30-2016, 10:20 PM
I can't speak for the SK, but my JM AIWB for a VP9 did NOT fit the P30 I had.

58thunderbird
12-31-2016, 03:32 AM
My P30 does not fit any kydex holster I have that's built for the VP9 (2 JM custom OWB/IWB or Blade Tech IWB). Yet the VP9 does fit in a Raven Concealment OWB made for a P30 and will not fit into Safariland ALS for a P30. So I would budget a new holster.

BobLoblaw
12-31-2016, 09:54 AM
The JMCK P30L holsters accommodate the VP9 whereas the JMCK VP9 holsters do NOT accommodate the P30/L/SK. The only reason I even bought VP9 holsters is due to stabby HDs. If you use mid or no guard, it's a no brainer.

CDFIII
01-05-2017, 12:55 PM
So my $499.99 CDNN HKP30sk showed up yesterday. My gun is pre- finger rest magazine... not the end of the world. I did snag a set of Meprolite HK night sights for $60 bucks so that puts me into the gun w/ sights for around $578.00. Trigger is nice maybe even a touch nicer than my P2000. Got my friend at RCS to make me a VG2 for it. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. Just need to get a few rounds down range.

LtDave
01-05-2017, 01:38 PM

P2000 holsters work as well. I've got 2 Sparks VM II's for the P2000's and they fit my P30's perfectly.

Jason M
01-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Some good holster tips here. Thanks everyone! I have just started to carry a P30sk V1 and am looking for holster solutions.

To add to the thread, Top Gun Supply has 15rnd 9mm P30 mags going for $36.95. Limit of 2.

RJ
01-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Some good holster tips here. Thanks everyone! I have just started to carry a P30sk V1 and am looking for holster solutions.

To add to the thread, Top Gun Supply has 15rnd 9mm P30 mags going for $36.95. Limit of 2.

I just ordered one of these, Mitch Rosen Upper Limit. OWB, but high on the belt for me for my concealment choice (baggy T shirt).

http://mitchrosen.com/order-online/#!/Upper-Limit/p/43418139/category=10984035

Guinnessman
01-05-2017, 05:39 PM
For those interested, Mike at Cross Creek Guns has the P30sk V1 with Meps, and 3 Mags for $670 shipped. I placed my order today and the P30sk should get here next week.

When I told my wife I just blamed GJM, Rich Jenkins, Dagga, and CDFIII. ;)

58thunderbird
01-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Does anyone have a Kydex holster for a p2000sk and know if a P30sk will fit in it without modification?
Thank you in advance.

JeffDG
01-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Just picked up my LE LEM model as well, no finger rests. Oh well! Fantastic little carry piece!

Jason M
01-05-2017, 08:29 PM
I have a Blade-Tech CHL for a P2000. The P30SK does not fit.

GJM
01-05-2017, 08:50 PM

Does the BT fit your P2000SK? :)

Jason M
01-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Sorry, my error. Yes, when I had one. Pays to read the question carefully before responding.

GJM
01-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Sorry, my error. Yes, when I had one. Pays to read the question carefully before responding.

No, it was my attempt at humor, since a too high percentage of my BT holsters don't fit the guns I ordered them for.

Jason M
01-05-2017, 11:08 PM
OK, I totally missed that one. All of my BT holsters (Classic, Nano, Eclipse) have fit just fine. I did get a P30 Nano that was not finished. The muzzle end was not crimped for lack of a better term. It was just straight all the way to the end. I called them, sent them a pic and they are sending me a replacement with no questions asked. I wish Raven would make a Morrigan holster for the P30 family.

58thunderbird
01-06-2017, 04:46 PM

Thank you, I was thinking the trigger guard between p2000/p30sk were to dissimilar in angle to be compatible.

Jason M
01-07-2017, 01:49 AM
I actually think that the rub (no pun intended) is the difference in dimension between the P2000's non standard rail vs the pic rail on the P30SK.

RJ
01-07-2017, 12:55 PM
P30 and the SK use the same holsters. My SK piggybacks in all my P30 holsters, as that's the gun I owned first - like many.

Sorry not sure how I missed this. So you are saying a OWB holster for a P30 would also take a P30SK? Very interesting.

This would be for occasional competition (steel, USPSA) use, so I would only need friction retention and a decent fit. Thanks, I will definitely look into this.

RJ
01-07-2017, 12:58 PM
OK, I totally missed that one. All of my BT holsters (Classic, Nano, Eclipse) have fit just fine. I did get a P30 Nano that was not finished. The muzzle end was not crimped for lack of a better term. It was just straight all the way to the end. I called them, sent them a pic and they are sending me a replacement with no questions asked. I wish Raven would make a Morrigan holster for the P30 family.

Jason, could you clarify (I may have missed it) but the BT holsters you have, are you saying they fit BOTH the P30 and P30SK?

CDFIII
01-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Rich.. P30 holsters will fit the sk. At least my JMCK and RCS both do.

RJ
01-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Rich.. P30 holsters will fit the sk. At least my JMCK and RCS both do.

*Montgomery Burns Voice*

"Excellent"

11B10
01-07-2017, 02:23 PM
I want all of you guys to understand that my poor mouth posts have their basis in my pure, straight-from-the-heart jealousy. It's not personal and I don't hate anyone. I've no one to blame but me.

JeffDG
01-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Just took my sk to the range and ran 200 rounds. Had a few FTE but all I had was federal 115gr. Certainly doesn't feel like a subcompact. Training is on my agenda for the spring, I'm not happy with my skills.

Also had several instances where slide didn't lock back due to me riding the slide lock. Being a lefty it usually isn't an issue for me, but I shifted my thumb over on the top of my support thumb and it stopped.

58thunderbird
01-07-2017, 05:25 PM
I'd be satisfied with being able to buy one new handgun. That's all I want.

Over the years my system has been if I have not used it or its not living up to my expectations sell it, even at a loss. It's been a journey from single stack Detonics/custom 1911s, issued Berettas, S&W, Glock and today it's HK P30/P30sk/VP9. Right out of the box HK has everything I want out of a sidearm, half the family members in my household are south paws (no idea why) and HK is well thought out.
Sell what your not using and get what you want.

burntorangefan
01-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Sorry not sure how I missed this. So you are saying a OWB holster for a P30 would also take a P30SK? Very interesting.

This would be for occasional competition (steel, USPSA) use, so I would only need friction retention and a decent fit. Thanks, I will definitely look into this.

Sorry, I should have more careful with my words. My IWB holsters for theP30 all fit the SK. I do not have any OWB so I can't say for sure, but I assume that's correct.

RJ
01-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Sorry, I should have more careful with my words. My IWB holsters for theP30 all fit the SK. I do not have any OWB so I can't say for sure, but I assume that's correct.

No problem. I emailed BT customer service about using a P30SK in a P30 open top range holster. I'll post back if they respond.

lazarus long
01-07-2017, 08:29 PM
My experience is the same as that of CDFIII. I have a P30 and a P30SK. The P30SK fits in the P30 OWB holster just fine.

Jason M
01-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Jason, could you clarify (I may have missed it) but the BT holsters you have, are you saying they fit BOTH the P30 and P30SK?

Rich,

My BT holsters all fit the guns that they were designed for. As an example, BT nano for a G17 also fit the 19 and 26. Have a CHL for the P2000. Fits the P2000SK despite the slightly different trigger guards but not the P30SK. P30 Nano holster will fit the P30SK. It was just not finished and was exchanged by BT for a new one. If you listen to some of the holster chatter on HK specific forums, it seems that there is some cross compatibility with some holsters between some different HK pistols and is not limited to the usual "compact fits in the full size" holster of its parent gun. Some P30 holsters also fit the HK45C according to some of the posts.

RJ
01-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Rich,

My BT holsters all fit the guns that they were designed for. As an example, BT nano for a G17 also fit the 19 and 26. Have a CHL for the P2000. Fits the P2000SK despite the slightly different trigger guards but not the P30SK. P30 Nano holster will fit the P30SK. It was just not finished and was exchanged by BT for a new one. If you listen to some of the holster chatter on HK specific forums, it seems that there is some cross compatibility with some holsters between some different HK pistols and is not limited to the usual "compact fits in the full size" holster of its parent gun. Some P30 holsters also fit the HK45C according to some of the posts.

Thanks. I like my BT holster for me VP9 for gun games; it's real simple. I'd like to get a BT for the P30, and may just do that.

Another reason to trade the VP9 in on a P30. :cool:

11B10
01-07-2017, 10:54 PM
Over the years my system has been if I have not used it or its not living up to my expectations sell it, even at a loss. It's been a journey from single stack Detonics/custom 1911s, issued Berettas, S&W, Glock and today it's HK P30/P30sk/VP9. Right out of the box HK has everything I want out of a sidearm, half the family members in my household are south paws (no idea why) and HK is well thought out.
Sell what your not using and get what you want.

58thunderbird, first - great username! One of my best buddies used to haul the two of us around in his Dad's '58 T-bird convertible. I loved that car, mainly because it had a back seat! So, we began the evening as "the two of us" - with some luck, it became four.

Now - this thread. You have struck a nerve, sir. I had become virtually locked in on another Glock, but don't feel the same passion I feel when I put the HK in my hands. The same passion when I go out to our garage. My wife's 2002 Camry, a creampuff with 30,000 miles on it - OR - my 2000 Mercedes-Benz S430, with the crazy odometer reading of 256,000. I would've never bought it (OR believed that mileage), except for the fact that my brother bought it new. Not one squeak, rattle - just an amazing machine. Glock vs. H&K. Hmmmm. Thanks for the perspective.

RJ
01-08-2017, 07:35 AM
...my 2000 Mercedes-Benz S430, with the crazy odometer reading of 256,000. I would've never bought it (OR believed that mileage), except for the fact that my brother bought it new. Not one squeak, rattle - just an amazing machine. Glock vs. H&K. Hmmmm. Thanks for the perspective.

I went to the launch party of the 2000 S class at my local dealer. It was a revolutionary model by MBZ, replacing the older gen, more upright S Class. Fantastic automobile.

JHC
01-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Just took my sk to the range and ran 200 rounds. Had a few FTE but all I had was federal 115gr. Certainly doesn't feel like a subcompact. Training is on my agenda for the spring, I'm not happy with my skills.

Also had several instances where slide didn't lock back due to me riding the slide lock. Being a lefty it usually isn't an issue for me, but I shifted my thumb over on the top of my support thumb and it stopped.

Do these guns remain picky or was this a break in?

GJM
01-08-2017, 07:50 AM

My experience with multiple HK pistols, is they need some full power rounds as part of an initial break in period. Not picky, in my experience, in terms of ongoing use.

JeffDG
01-08-2017, 07:57 AM
I had read previously that it would be best to use 124 or 147gr for the initial break in, so was expecting some FTE with the 115. Debating on going back to the range today...

JHC
01-08-2017, 07:58 AM
My experience with multiple HK pistols, is they need some full power rounds as part of an initial break in period. Not picky, in my experience, in terms of ongoing use.

So the HK hammer gun package to cover the maximum range of uses might be the SK, USP FS9, and HK45C?

GJM
01-08-2017, 08:05 AM
So the HK hammer gun package to cover the maximum range of uses might be the SK, USP FS9, and HK45C?

Yes, with the caveat that for dedicated Super use, or more sight radius for hunting, I would go USP 45 FS instead if the HK45C. HK45C better if you want a concealment gun, also capable of launching Super occasionally.

RJ
01-08-2017, 08:15 AM

JHC - I haven't seen it with mine. First range visit was 126 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 115 FMJ, as well as a couple mags of Federal P9HST2 and Speer GD 124 standard pressure. No issues.

I only have a scant 306 rounds to date, including more Blazer 115; but 0 malfunctions.

I did a field strip and clean per the manual, but that's it. Sample of one, etc.

Dagga Boy
01-08-2017, 07:22 PM
HK springs guns for a life of full power NATO spec. ammo. They do not do well with generic light stuff. A very solid grip will often help the reliability with training ammo, but if it is bargain priced 115 stuff, I have no expectation of them running like a sewing machine.

When I see complaints on the bubble gum forums, all I can think of is having a super high performance euro super car, and get mad because it knocks on very low octane gas from one of those bargain gas stations nobody has really heard of before.

hufnagel
01-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Greg - thanks for "outing" Rich. My one and only brother is a lefty and has always been a pain, too. LOL

I'm a lefty, and deplorable. But I repeat myself. :D

RJ
01-08-2017, 09:37 PM

We need a handedness poll.

Program I volunteered for overseas once had maybe 150 guys that came over. One day we did a straw poll, and like 50% of EVERYONE was left-handed.

It was a pretty successful program; we delivered 41 airplanes and a complete training system on time and on budget (I worked on the trainer side) for 2.1B UK Pounds. I think it was all the lefties. :cool:

OnionsAndDragons
01-08-2017, 11:10 PM
HK springs guns for a life of full power NATO spec. ammo. They do not do well with generic light stuff. A very solid grip will often help the reliability with training ammo, but if it is bargain priced 115 stuff, I have no expectation of them running like a sewing machine.

When I see complaints on the bubble gum forums, all I can think of is having a super high performance euro super car, and get mad because it knocks on very low octane gas from one of those bargain gas stations nobody has really heard of before.

It has been my experience so far that, after a couple-few thousand rounds, this issue goes away. Or as GJM mentioned, a few hundred rounds of carry ammo.

My VP9 hasn't had the issue, but one p2000 and both p2ksk's that I had did. I just forked over a little extra for a couple cases of NATO for when I didn't care to practice malfunction clearance (can be a feature!) and the problems went away by the end of that ammo.

RJ
01-09-2017, 04:57 PM
No problem. I emailed BT customer service about using a P30SK in a P30 open top range holster. I'll post back if they respond.

I received a very nice email today from the Blade Tech customer service manager, indicating that they'd be happy to make me a CLASSIC OWB HOLSTER (she capitalized it, so I would guess this is a specific model) by calling them at 1 877 331-5793.

So this might be an option for me down the road, or for others if interested.

Doc_Glock
01-09-2017, 07:11 PM
I really like the quality of the P30SK, but I think it is too small for my carry purposes. I generally carry a Glock 19. Is there any way to make the grip more Glock 19ish with other mags or base plates? I may start another thread, but I am also wondering what is the most Glock 19ish of all the HK models. It seems the USPc or the P2000. Would one or the other of those pistols carry more like a 19 than the other? Mainly I am interested in a G19 sized LEM triggered HK pistol for carry. This may be a question for another thread...

noguns
01-09-2017, 07:18 PM
I just hit 3300 rounds with my p30sk. I have not had one malfunction. The weakest ammo it has run was fiocchi 124. I even shot fiocchi weak handed only as fast as I could and she still runs like a top.

11B10
01-09-2017, 07:47 PM
I went to the launch party of the 2000 S class at my local dealer. It was a revolutionary model by MBZ, replacing the older gen, more upright S Class. Fantastic automobile.

Rich, this thread drift (seems to be my specialty) is your fault. My whole life, I was a Chevy guy - owned them, worked on them, raced them, sold parts at a Chevy dealer for years. Always believed BMW and MB were overpriced European crap. NOW, I understand and while I still can't afford $75,000 (what mine cost new), what I'm experiencing now is otherworldly. Every day, I never want to get where I'm going and when I DO get there, I don't wanna get out. I look at that 256,655 number on the odometer, wonder how it can be possible, then thank my big brother for this Mercedes Benz. Mine has "only" 275 HP, cannot imagine what an S550 (577HP) - must be like.

RJ
01-09-2017, 07:53 PM
I really like the quality of the P30SK, but I think it is too small for my carry purposes. I generally carry a Glock 19. Is there any way to make the grip more Glock 19ish with other mags or base plates? I may start another thread, but I am also wondering what is the most Glock 19ish of all the HK models. It seems the USPc or the P2000. Would one or the other of those pistols carry more like a 19 than the other? Mainly I am interested in a G19 sized LEM triggered HK pistol for carry. This may be a question for another thread...

My P30SK with 13 round USPc magazine and X Grip adapter measures almost exactly 5.0" high. Which, IIRC, is G19 sized.

Slide length is a bit shorter, though.

11B10
01-09-2017, 07:55 PM

It is my opinion that left or right "handedness" is NOT a requirement for being a card carrying deplorable.

Cincinnatus
01-10-2017, 12:30 AM
"Most like the G19" would be the P2000.

OnionsAndDragons
01-11-2017, 12:11 AM

"Most like the G19" would be the P2000.

Yup.

USPc would also fit, and has a slightly superior trigger IMO. However, stupid rail and significantly more expensive. Love the p2000!

Grey
01-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Would it be insane and pointless to put an rmr on one of these...?

Arbninftry
01-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Would it be insane and pointless to put an rmr on one of these...?
I was thinking of suppressing mine. That's probably pointless, but could be fun.

Guinnessman
01-11-2017, 10:48 PM
My P30sk arrived today from Cross Creek Guns. The V1 LEM trigger feels great out of the box, and dare I say it is a tad better than my current P30's. It fits great in my JM Custom holsters that Tony made for the VP9/P30.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/GuinessMan/33C725A7-8074-4801-A627-D618AACF381B_zpslut6cfei.jpg

Hopefully I can get out for some live fire this week! I posted tonight's dry fire thoughts in my journal if anyone is interested.

Guinnessman
01-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Today I finally had a chance to ring out the new P30sk! I am cross posting from my journal, but I wanted to share my initial thoughts on the gun.

Today's session consisted of 25 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P, 25 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 147 grain, and 25 rounds of WWB 115 grain. I shot 4 groups of 5 shots to check POA/POI, and the P30sk shot as advertised at 25 yards, with the rounds hitting at the tip of the front sight.

After confirming POA/POI, it was time to run two cold FAST's. FAST #1 was 9.56 because of a terrible reload. My thumb hit the slide release after the 2nd head shot, and I had to hand rack the slide for the reload.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/GuinessMan/6E8C3FF5-45F1-4EC0-975D-7CF2FFEA71BF_zpscgeyn9s5.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/GuinessMan/C97E524A-7CE7-41D9-AE8D-082C952289DE_zps1u9o0poi.jpg

FAST #2 was 8.06.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/GuinessMan/8E589861-B831-4FDD-941A-59151AFC56A6_zpsvliufoeb.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/GuinessMan/1B4C15B4-EA31-45BB-BABE-F1515C2E83B8_zpsheovshiy.jpg

Bill Drill was 3.21 clean

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/GuinessMan/9A7726F9-8F83-4C3D-A49C-11C6FB6C8E41_zpsaw4apyog.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/GuinessMan/E4EA0135-484B-469E-A700-C8EB2CB56CE7_zpsf1zzegwz.jpg

The draw was slow on the Bill and I would have liked faster splits. Sounds like someone needs to shoot more!

I worked a bunch of Draw 2 to a 3x5 at the end of the session.

The P30sk has impressed me so far. It handles very well for a subcompact pistol. Like others have mentioned in other threads, the P30sk is an accurate and flat recoiling little gun. Recoil was very mild on both the 147 and 124 grain +P loads. The trigger is very smooth for an HK, and it is better than other LEM samples I have shot. I prefer the paddle mag release on the P30/P30sk, and as a lefty the Ambi Slide Release is perfect for me.

In the P30sk package I received:

a reliable, gadget equipped (hammer lol),
night sights
3 mags
no brass to face
no accuracy issues
No take down thingy that falls out due to poor Quality Control;)

It is going to be a pleasure to carry and shoot. The arrow is solid, its that pesky Indian behind the gun that needs more practice.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/GuinessMan/6B24733A-0B33-48ED-94D8-71C3A4A6C310_zpsdhqx26bj.jpg

Grey
01-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Is there a list of holsters people like for the p30sk? I'm about to buy one and need the necessary. Odds and ends.

RJ
01-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Is there a list of holsters people like for the p30sk? I'm about to buy one and need the necessary. Odds and ends.

Hard to wrong with JM Custom Kydex.

Grey
01-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Thanks rich I'll look into then after this game

11B10
01-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Hard to wrong with JM Custom Kydex.

Rich, I don't know if you're experienced with other brands, but I do know you've got significant time with H&K. I'm going to be going from .45 to 9mm pretty soon because of arthritis in my hands affecting my "secondary" shots. I'm still pretty sharp on the first one, it's those follow-ups that are drifting. I've been making everyone's life miserable, both here and other places, trying to get someone else to make my decision for me, I guess. Here's the only real hurdle to keep me away from H&K: Their internal complexity. I've much experience with Glocks, which are very simple, especially inside. I'm currently carrying a Sig P320, which has a bit more "engineering" than I'd like inside, kinda like the H&K. When I bought the SIG, I didn't anticipate my arthritis advancing this rapidly, forcing the caliber change. The Sig has been absolutely flawless, but every time I clean it, there's that FCU, with all those reeeaal small springs and stuff. There ain't no way I'm ever breaking that down. The biggest issue is that because of my recent retirement/fixed income, I've no wiggle room, no room for error. This will be THE gun, probably for many years. Right now, I'm leaning very hard to the Glock, it's where I'm most comfortable and where almost all my experience lies. Still, the feel of that P30SK in my hand and the knowledge of how very good they are.....

RJ
01-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Thanks rich I'll look into then after this game

Folks here also like Dark Star Gear. Also Spencer Keepers is mentioned a lot.

For my VP9, I have a simple Blade Tech Open Top range holster.

Safariland is usually worth looking at too.

I did some looking for gunleather, and two mentioned were Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen. I have a MR Upper Limit Express on order.

RJ
01-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Rich, I don't know if you're experienced with other brands... now, I'm leaning very hard to the Glock, it's where I'm most comfortable and where almost all my experience lies. Still, the feel of that P30SK in my hand and the knowledge of how very good they are.....

I've tried shooting several Glocks. I just don't have the depth of experience to account for the grip angle as well as the overall ergonomics. So, for me, a Glock is a no go.

But for you, sounds like a good choice. From the experts here, I understand they are reliable, accurate, easy to maintain, and have a huge aftermarket. So, I hear ya on the 'one gun' thing.

On the other hand, besides also being reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain, I just like 'the feel' of the P30SK in *my* hand. Early in my learning days in 2014, I had an RO say to me, 'Rich, a good part of shooting is being comfortable. So, for me, I feel very comfortable with my HKs.

Are they complex? I guess so; I won't be doing anything other than field stripping mine. With a lifetime warranty, I'm not too worried.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!

11B10
01-13-2017, 08:56 PM
I've tried shooting several Glocks. I just don't have the depth of experience to account for the grip angle as well as the overall ergonomics. So, for me, a Glock is a no go.

But for you, sounds like a good choice. From the experts here, I understand they are reliable, accurate, easy to maintain, and have a huge aftermarket. So, I hear ya on the 'one gun' thing.

On the other hand, besides also being reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain, I just like 'the feel' of the P30SK in *my* hand. Early in my learning days in 2014, I had an RO say to me, 'Rich, a good part of shooting is being comfortable. So, for me, I feel very comfortable with my HKs.

Are they complex? I guess so; I won't be doing anything other than field stripping mine. With a lifetime warranty, I'm not too worried.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!

This ^^^^ kind of thing is exactly what sets pistol forum apart. Inside of an hour, I have the info I was looking for. The danger for me is just what you've experienced, Rich. The darn things are gorgeous, engineered to the nth degree, and, if just maybe you get one that's a mm off, they have a lifetime warranty. Oh, and guess what, it felt great in my hands, too. I'm gonna take a big chance - I'm going to shoot both pistols, one more time. Thanks, Rich - much appreciated.

58thunderbird
01-15-2017, 04:03 PM
11B10, I have detailed stripped P30 LEM's and it's not to complex after doing it twice. Trigger spring was the hardest part, but using a cut down coffee stir stick (thin red type) to hold on too, doable. Yes other brands have less parts inside and the exploded diagram on HK looks over engineered it's not really a big deal. Lots of tutorials on the Web to help you out. My P30/P30sk complement the VP9 nicely and have replaced everything else.

Tom Duffy
01-15-2017, 09:27 PM
Rich, I don't know if you're experienced with other brands, but I do know you've got significant time with H&K. I'm going to be going from .45 to 9mm pretty soon because of arthritis in my hands affecting my "secondary" shots. I'm still pretty sharp on the first one, it's those follow-ups that are drifting. I've been making everyone's life miserable, both here and other places, trying to get someone else to make my decision for me, I guess. Here's the only real hurdle to keep me away from H&K: Their internal complexity. I've much experience with Glocks, which are very simple, especially inside. I'm currently carrying a Sig P320, which has a bit more "engineering" than I'd like inside, kinda like the H&K. When I bought the SIG, I didn't anticipate my arthritis advancing this rapidly, forcing the caliber change. The Sig has been absolutely flawless, but every time I clean it, there's that FCU, with all those reeeaal small springs and stuff. There ain't no way I'm ever breaking that down. The biggest issue is that because of my recent retirement/fixed income, I've no wiggle room, no room for error. This will be THE gun, probably for many years. Right now, I'm leaning very hard to the Glock, it's where I'm most comfortable and where almost all my experience lies. Still, the feel of that P30SK in my hand and the knowledge of how very good they are.....

I guess a question I would have is what difference does internal complexity matter if the gun is so reliable that you never have to detail strip it. For cleaning, an HK breaks down into the same four parts as a Glock. I have two HKs, a HK45C and a P30L. They both are approaching 6,000 rounds without a single malfunction. I've heard the first point of failure on an HK is the trigger return spring at about 7,500 rounds. Even if true, are you really going to put 7,500 rounds through the gun? If so, you can probably pay someone to replace that one spring.

About five years ago I went looking for my first new gun that I hadn't purchased in the early '70s, I wanted a trouble free gun, because I'm not very mechanical. My research on gun forums indicated that the one brand that nobody ever complained about quality control issues or mechanical issues was H&K. My two have been flawless. Besides they come with a warranty in the event you get one that isn't up to snuff.

Cincinnatus
01-15-2017, 09:57 PM
I guess a question I would have is what difference does internal complexity matter if the gun is so reliable that you never have to detail strip it. For cleaning, an HK breaks down into the same four parts as a Glock. I have two HKs, a HK45C and a P30L. They both are approaching 6,000 rounds without a single malfunction. I've heard the first point of failure on an HK is the trigger return spring at about 7,500 rounds. Even if true, are you really going to put 7,500 rounds through the gun? If so, you can probably pay someone to replace that one spring.

About five years ago I went looking for my first new gun that I hadn't purchased in the early '70s, I wanted a trouble free gun, because I'm not very mechanical. My research on gun forums indicated that the one brand that nobody ever complained about quality control issues or mechanical issues was H&K. My two have been flawless. Besides they come with a warranty in the event you get one that isn't up to snuff.
Replacing the TRS is not one of the complicated parts of the internals. However, for some, it can be difficult without a tool--but just because the spring is a bitch, not due to complexity.

11B10
01-15-2017, 11:18 PM
58, Tom - I want you to know that your posts are exactly what I've been looking for - thanks to both of you, as well as Rich_Jenkins. As I said previously, I intend to shoot both pistols again and unless something manifests itself that I've never dreamed of, let alone seen, I'm making the move! I continue to be a very satisfied reader/lurker of pf!

alohadoug
01-17-2017, 01:25 PM
So on my local board there are reports from dealers saying they've been told H&K is discounting the P30sk. Yes, it's third hand internet RUMINT so take it's for what it's worth. I'm asking all of the learned and connected people here....yes or no?

Thanks
Doug

Grey
01-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Sweet if that is true

Dagga Boy
01-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Well, I just got my P30SK back after having Trijicon HD's installed. Love the sight picture.....and the gun is now totally unusable for AIWB due to the Trijicon razor blade at the rear of the sight. WTF is Trijicon thinking. The ones on my P2000SK are a bit more bareble because that don't overhang the rear......the ones for the P30SK and similar cut hang over the back and are terrible for concealed carry on clothes or skin or both depending on where and how you carry.

LSP972
01-17-2017, 03:39 PM
A ha!!! Hate for you to hear it, GOOD for me to know because I was about to find out myself. So, back to Plan A or Plan B...

Looks like Plan B (going with the P30SK and the plain BIG round sights) is going to be the smartest way, all things considered. I can work with that longer reset just fine... just would PREFER the shorter set-up. Gonna start looking/trying tomorrow. Got an old bud with the P30SK, may have difficulty finding a P2000SK.

Hope you work things out...

LtDave
01-17-2017, 04:09 PM
I've got Heine sights on several of my HKs. Much prefer them to the HD's which I've had a hell of time getting to shoot POA/POI on Sigs and Glocks.

Hideeho
01-17-2017, 04:14 PM
The P30SK is my only carry pistol. I use 10-8 Performance's .140 rear with their .115 F/O front on all my SK's. Did that because they were out of .156's so went with narrow front to compensate for narrow rear. Just tried Vickers/Wilson new arrivals. Paired their rear with the Gold Bead front. The sights are quick. The wide gold bead is easier to focus on then the narrow F/O. I use 147gr HST. POI seems low from 3-25 yards. I like of driving the dot, this might push the envelope. Will test more outdoors when rain stops in Austin.

If all else fails, I am going to get a paintball gun and another GSD. I'll teach him to put a hit on any one with green splats.

walker2713
01-17-2017, 04:25 PM

P2000.....

SecondsCount
01-17-2017, 04:50 PM
So on my local board there are reports from dealers saying they've been told H&K is discounting the P30sk. Yes, it's third hand internet RUMINT so take it's for what it's worth. I'm asking all of the learned and connected people here....yes or no?

Thanks
Doug

Discounting or discontinuing?

One of the local farm stores had a sale and a friend picked up a DA/SA P30SK for $384.

Grey
01-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Wow that's cheap!

Kyle Reese
01-17-2017, 06:00 PM

One of the local farm stores had a sale and a friend picked up a DA/SA P30SK for $384.
Are these available online?????

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

SecondsCount
01-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Are these available online?????

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I don't see it on CAL Ranch's website http://www.calranch.com/

alohadoug
01-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Crap...should have been discontinuing....

RJ
01-17-2017, 08:15 PM

Could be, but that sounds weird to me.

Discontinuing HKs modern P30 based subcompact after it was only introduced in what, 2015? doesn't seem to make much sense...

alohadoug
01-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Could be, but that sounds weird to me.

Discontinuing HKs modern P30 based subcompact after it was only introduced in what, 2015? doesn't seem to make much sense...

Didn't make any sense to me either. Been then again, it is HK and they hate us.

Duces Tecum
01-17-2017, 09:19 PM

Perhaps it's not H&K (the manufacturer), but CalRanch (the retailer) that's discontinuing the P30SK.

BigT
01-17-2017, 10:02 PM
They've got P30sk's all over their stand at SHOT so I doubt there are any plans to discontinue.

58thunderbird
01-18-2017, 03:33 AM
They've got P30sk's all over their stand at SHOT so I doubt there are any plans to discontinue.

So no VP9c or VP9SK?

BigT
01-18-2017, 06:55 AM
So no VP9c or VP9SK?

Not that I saw. My sweep past HK was pretty quick yesterday. Will have a longer look in the week but I'm 99% sure we would've heard if those was at their stand.

camsdaddy
01-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Well, I just got my P30SK back after having Trijicon HD's installed. Love the sight picture.....and the gun is now totally unusable for AIWB due to the Trijicon razor blade at the rear of the sight. WTF is Trijicon thinking. The ones on my P2000SK are a bit more bareble because that don't overhang the rear......the ones for the P30SK and similar cut hang over the back and are terrible for concealed carry on clothes or skin or both depending on where and how you carry.

This is why my current Glock 26 is wearing standard Glock night sights and a set of HD's are setting in my do dad box of springs and sights I dont use.

11B10
01-18-2017, 10:35 AM
I've seen it on several sites. Brownell's, Gallery of Guns, a couple local FFL's. This ^^^^ is the only place I've heard anything about discontinuing.

alohadoug
01-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Not that I saw. My sweep past HK was pretty quick yesterday. Will have a longer look in the week but I'm 99% sure we would've heard if those was at their stand.

I've seen it on several sites. Brownell's, Gallery of Guns, a couple local FFL's. This ^^^^ is the only place I've heard anything about discontinuing.

Thanks for the information. That jives with what I've been finding. Sounds like another case of the "The sky is falling" from one dealer....that's why I asked the experts.

11B10
01-19-2017, 02:22 PM
I just returned from a new (to me) FFL that I WILL be returning to. Exhibit A: P30SK, LEM/V1 - $599.00. And, as luck would have it, the fella there had just, hours before I arrived, talked to the H&K factory rep. The rep told him the old: good news, bad news stuff. The absolutely GREAT news (especially for me) is that he has "no idea where these rumors about the discontinuation of the P30SK originate." The bad news: NO plans for a VP9SK.

Rich_Jenkins, it would seem, after this latest "exposure" to the P30SK, I am doomed to drink from the same H&K Kool Aid as you. Apparently I had forgotten how very sweet those firearms are, not to mention that feeling that the gun is now part of your arm - you WANT to squeeze it! Every thing I touched just 'clicked' - I don't see how I can resist any longer! I had taken two guns with me to see what we could do about a trade-in as my funds are practically nonexistent. It looks like I will, for the very first time, sell a firearm for less than I paid for it. Don't WANT to do it, but if I cannot wait (after today, I'm cancelling all those bets) to bring a P30SK home, it will cost me $140, out the door. Which brings me to another reason I will return to this "new" FFL - because I have about 150 rounds of premium Federal HST/HYDRASHOK/SPEER GOLD DOT ammo I will no longer need (and he can't sell, but he certainly can shoot it up!), he'll give me a box of 9mm of my choice. Thanks to pf, I know what THAT will be.

Dagga Boy
01-19-2017, 03:43 PM
I am picking up another P30SK next Tuesday. I am going to leave it alone and just carry it and use my other as a test bed to mess around with sights and trigger to figure out what works best, then configure them the same. I may try the Wilson-Vickers sights and a light 4.1 LEM as the next phase of figuring out how to get where I want the gun to be.

LSP972
01-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Got my P30SK today. I think I'm gonna try the big green Trij HD on the front, leave the original on the rear, see how that works. I won't get my necessary EDC holster (what the P30SK needs is JUST enough difference from the excellent one I had done for the USPc 9mm I've been carrying for over a year to need a new one done for the P30SK) until early next week. So I have time to try a few front sights. Will probably get another P30SK after I have a bit of time through this one and have gotten back from Houston again.

Keep us advised on how you are going... I could use some advice, as I seem to be losing smarts every time they dig the tumor out...:mad:

Dagga Boy
01-19-2017, 05:26 PM
LSP972, that is sort of funny. I actually was going to get a LEM USP9C as a nostalgia thing and had the shop pull it. Made a logical decision and had them switch it for the P30SK this morning because it makes more sense and my P2000 should do everything a USPC will.
I think the HD sights are taller than the stock ones or I would just run the HD front with a stock or 10-8 rear. If I am wrong, somebody please let me know on that.

psalms144.1
01-19-2017, 05:30 PM
I think the HD sights are taller than the stock ones or I would just run the HD front with a stock or 10-8 rear. If I am wrong, somebody please let me know on that.DB - you're correct, the HDs are significantly taller than stock

RJ
01-19-2017, 06:30 PM
Rich_Jenkins, it would seem, after this latest "exposure" to the P30SK, I am doomed to drink from the same H&K Kool Aid as you. Apparently I had forgotten how very sweet those firearms are, not to mention that feeling that the gun is now part of your arm - you WANT to squeeze it! Every thing I touched just 'clicked' - I don't see how I can resist any longer! I had taken two guns with me to see what we could do about a trade-in as my funds are practically nonexistent. It looks like I will, for the very first time, sell a firearm for less than I paid for it. Don't WANT to do it, but if I cannot wait (after today, I'm cancelling all those bets) to bring a P30SK home, it will cost me $140, out the door. Which brings me to another reason I will return to this "new" FFL - because I have about 150 rounds of premium Federal HST/HYDRASHOK/SPEER GOLD DOT ammo I will no longer need (and he can't sell, but he certainly can shoot it up!), he'll give me a box of 9mm of my choice. Thanks to pf, I know what THAT will be.

Hope it works out with the P30SK, 11B.

Yeah, I lost money on my trade also, but I was ok with that. I've come to think as a carry gun, the hammer and LEM on the P30SK carry significant advantages over a VP9SK anyway.

LSP972
01-19-2017, 11:19 PM
DB - you're correct, the HDs are significantly taller than stock

Also, the mount of the Trijicon HDs are wider; I'd had to have a GOOD mechanic widen that groove on the front of the slide. Not willing to wait/pay for it. Shucks, and other comments. Oh, well... I'll stay with the originals. I can still see them well enough. The trits are a bit dark for me now. Only those green fronts seem to help; they damn sure do on my USPc 9mms. I'll keep them, just 'cause....

LSP972
01-19-2017, 11:21 PM
I've come to think as a carry gun, the hammer and LEM on the P30SK carry significant advantages over a VP9SK anyway.

Me too, sir.

RJ
01-20-2017, 04:02 PM
Received my Mitch Rosen Express Gunleather "Upper Limit" holster for my P30SK. It's in the Cuban Brown color, which I quite like.

The reason I selected the Upper Limit was due to a suggestion from forum member GJM. He mentioned it as an OWB holster with a high fit.

This turns out to be very true. In combination with the stubby nature of the P30SK (in terms of barrel length), the bottom of the slide rests not much more than about 1" below the belt line. For *my* situation, which is generally daily carry in cargo shorts and XL T shirt, this works pretty well.

In addition, the fact that this is an OWB holster means that the "droop" I find takes place with kydex IWB holsters is much much less pronounced.

After opening up the box, I did some test fitting, and then applied a few drops of the "Leather Lightning" oil (recommended by MR, purchased separately) on the inside surface of the holster. The leather ended up being slightly buffed as I worked it in. Although very stiff at first, I worked the pistol in and out approximately 150 times. Fit and retention are both good.

(Although not a criteria from MR, the pistol will not slip out when held upside down and shaken.)

I test wore it using my Ares Aegis 1 1/2" gun belt at 900 o'clock around the house with a standard 10 round magazine. Very comfortable standing, sitting as well. Although snugly done up, I do not have to have the belt as tight as when I use my behind the hip/kydex holsters. A large part of that is that since it is not an IWB holster, the is more surface area to hold it up.

This is my first (ever) piece of gunleather, and I'm pretty pleased. I ordered this on the 5th of January, it was shipped on 1/17 and arrived today, 1/20. So, 15 days for a holster from order to receipt. This is one of their "express" line, and obviously I have nothing to compare it to, but for me the finish of the leather is very acceptable.

Oh, and it smells really really good. :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/64092a2297e09596d28bb23b0c34855b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/63a1aef3c8c9f3f5d8b6623ae4070c18.jpg

Jason M
01-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Rich,

That looks like it will work well for that size pistol. I will be interested to see how it holds up. Currently mine is riding in an RCS phantom for OWB and a Kramer Leather #1 1/2 for IWB. That IWB rides at about the same height above the belt as your Upper Limit.

GJM
01-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Rich,

That looks like it will work well for that size pistol. I will be interested to see how it holds up. Currently mine is riding in an RCS phantom for OWB and a Kramer Leather #1 1/2 for IWB. That IWB rides at about the same height above the belt as your Upper Limit.

My wife has used two of them to carry a G26/27 every day for the last ten years, so I would say they hold up well.

58thunderbird
01-20-2017, 05:19 PM
I just returned from a new (to me) FFL that I WILL be returning to. Exhibit A: P30SK, LEM/V1 - $599.00. And, as luck would have it, the fella there had just, hours before I arrived, talked to the H&K factory rep. The rep told him the old: good news, bad news stuff. The absolutely GREAT news (especially for me) is that he has "no idea where these rumors about the discontinuation of the P30SK originate." The bad news: NO plans for a VP9SK.

Think of it this way. You already used what you are trading and found it lacking somehow. You are getting a new one for $140! And you have a dealer with a LEM in stock, I had to order mine and pay extra fees plus wait for it to be shipped.

RJ
01-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Think of it this way. You already used what you are trading and found it lacking somehow. You are getting a new one for $140! And you have a dealer with a LEM in stock, I had to order mine and pay extra fees plus wait for it to be shipped.

Yup. I traded a '13 M&P FS9 and a '16 Walther PPS M2, and got $450 of value. It was worth it to me since neither of those pistols worked out for me. I'm sure I left some money on the table, vs. a private sale.

Guinnessman
01-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Rich,

Good looking leather right there! That's a slick little holster..........I may have to try one out for shits and grins!

11B10
01-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Received my Mitch Rosen Express Gunleather "Upper Limit" holster for my P30SK. It's in the Cuban Brown color, which I quite like.

The reason I selected the Upper Limit was due to a suggestion from forum member GJM. He mentioned it as an OWB holster with a high fit.

This turns out to be very true. In combination with the stubby nature of the P30SK (in terms of barrel length), the bottom of the slide rests not much more than about 1" below the belt line. For *my* situation, which is generally daily carry in cargo shorts and XL T shirt, this works pretty well.

In addition, the fact that this is an OWB holster means that the "droop" I find takes place with kydex IWB holsters is much much less pronounced.

After opening up the box, I did some test fitting, and then applied a few drops of the "Leather Lightning" oil (recommended by MR, purchased separately) on the inside surface of the holster. The leather ended up being slightly buffed as I worked it in. Although very stiff at first, I worked the pistol in and out approximately 150 times. Fit and retention are both good.

(Although not a criteria from MR, the pistol will not slip out when held upside down and shaken.)

I test wore it using my Ares Aegis 1 1/2" gun belt at 900 o'clock around the house with a standard 10 round magazine. Very comfortable standing, sitting as well. Although snugly done up, I do not have to have the belt as tight as when I use my behind the hip/kydex holsters. A large part of that is that since it is not an IWB holster, the is more surface area to hold it up.

This is my first (ever) piece of gunleather, and I'm pretty pleased. I ordered this on the 5th of January, it was shipped on 1/17 and arrived today, 1/20. So, 15 days for a holster from order to receipt. This is one of their "express" line, and obviously I have nothing to compare it to, but for me the finish of the leather is very acceptable.

Oh, and it smells really really good. :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/64092a2297e09596d28bb23b0c34855b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/63a1aef3c8c9f3f5d8b6623ae4070c18.jpg

Rich, I've never owned a Mitch Rosen holster, but I have a childhood friend who has become one of the most prolific collectors of quality gun leather that I've ever seen. Walking into his "den" smells like a leather shop - I just love it. His favorite holster maker is, and always has been, Mitch Rosen. You'll not be sorry you bought from him. A bit of a drift here (or you'd think I was an imposter) - I'm now having dreams about H&K P30SK's. I can't decide if I want to wait to get the most $$$ out of this, or just DO IT! If I "do it," I'll be without a backup. So what.

58thunderbird
01-21-2017, 06:02 AM
I would just do it. Sooner than later.

11B10
01-21-2017, 09:25 AM
I really am dancing around a deal that was done two days ago in my soul and it's just getting to my brain. That's how strongly this firearm is pulling me. Everything "lines up," the caliber is the one I've been headed towards for sometime, the brand is one I've always coveted (but couldn't afford), and now THE gun - my "Grail gun," becomes available at a price I cannot resist. I now need to tell the wife, as she is saying "don't do it," because of the dollar loss. What can I say - she's not a gun person, at least not yet. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, gentlemen - I'll keep ya'll posted.

MGW
01-22-2017, 05:56 PM
If anyone gets buyers remorse about buying a new sk LEM, give me a call.

11B10
01-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Now is the best - and - the worst. My bride has begrudgingly agreed with me (the best), but now, I'm going to have to wait a day or so (the worst) because we'd previously scheduled my nephew to come here tomorrow and begin tearing out two walls in our house. Naturally, since I'm retired, I'll be getting pretty dirty myself. This was my leverage in the deal - wife has always wanted these walls gone and she's getting it. I want the H&K P30SK - and I'm getting that! I feel as though I already own one because of all the ink here. Every conceivable aspect has been researched - holsters, ammo, sights, you name it. I've owned several firearms, but don't remember ever getting this juiced up. First chance I get - don't care if it's at night and I'm still filthy from working here - I'm going! Soon and very soon, to quote an old hymn.

LSP972
01-22-2017, 10:24 PM
LOL. You'll love it.

Stand by, I'll have some magazine goodies/info in a week or so... Hopefully. Got the ideas now, just have to refine them/make sure they work.

Both the full size P30 15 round magazine and USPc 13 round magazine fit and work... But the 13 rounder fits a bit neater. The 15 rounder is going to need some effort. Of course, extra spacing is involved here, so we're going to need extra spacers. Stand by, I'm working on it.

Arbninftry
01-22-2017, 11:54 PM
LOL. You'll love it.

Stand by, I'll have some magazine goodies/info in a week or so... Hopefully. Got the ideas now, just have to refine them/make sure they work.

Both the full size P30 15 round magazine and USPc 13 round magazine fit and work... But the 13 rounder fits a bit neater. The 15 rounder is going to need some effort. Of course, extra spacing is involved here, so we're going to need extra spacers. Stand by, I'm working on it.

XGrips make spacers. They work well.
Hkparts.net has them

LSP972
01-23-2017, 09:33 AM
XGrips make spacers. They work well.
Hkparts.net has them

Yup. Got some ordered to try.

TCB
01-23-2017, 10:07 AM
I use the 13 round mag as my reload and haven't seen the need for the spacer...it feels great in the hand as is without it. Unless your worried about over insertion?

MasterBlaster
01-23-2017, 11:51 AM
I use the 13 round mag as my reload and haven't seen the need for the spacer...it feels great in the hand as is without it. Unless your worried about over insertion?

Agreed, though I use the 15 rounder.

LSP972
01-23-2017, 12:15 PM

Nope. My little finger needs a "space filler", which I have ordered some of. I have several of the full-size P30 mag spacers, which don't look so hot but they do just fine for my hands. The 10 round P30SK magazines are a bit different, going to try +2 extension floor carrying plates for in the gun... Using the modified 15 round P30 mags for a spare carry is working excellent. I'll try to have photos of all of that soon, but I have to go back to Houston in a couple of days and have them try to fix what they gooned up.

Not blaming them. This cancer crap is a TOTAL guess work, they guessed wrong this time.

11B10
01-23-2017, 12:51 PM
LOL. You'll love it.

I'm just leaving the house on my way to the FFL! You might say I'm pumped up! Full report in an hour or so.

11B10
01-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Nope. My little finger needs a "space filler", which I have ordered some of. I have several of the full-size P30 mag spacers, which don't look so hot but they do just fine for my hands. The 10 round P30SK magazines are a bit different, going to try +2 extension floor carrying plates for in the gun... Using the modified 15 round P30 mags for a spare carry is working excellent. I'll try to have photos of all of that soon, but I have to go back to Houston in a couple of days and have them try to fix what they gooned up.

Not blaming them. This cancer crap is a TOTAL guess work, they guessed wrong this time.

LSP, buddy, that sounds like great news - I'm looking forward to your wisdom-filled posts.

RJ
01-23-2017, 02:12 PM
I'm just leaving the house on my way to the FFL! You might say I'm pumped up! Full report in an hour or so.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/1c9aee04da2444c7c94f26f068e3e557.jpg

:cool:

DanPop
01-23-2017, 05:12 PM
So my $499.99 CDNN HKP30sk showed up yesterday. My gun is pre- finger rest magazine... not the end of the world. I did snag a set of Meprolite HK night sights for $60 bucks so that puts me into the gun w/ sights for around $578.00. Trigger is nice maybe even a touch nicer than my P2000. Got my friend at RCS to make me a VG2 for it. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. Just need to get a few rounds down range.

You can buy mag bases with the snap down finger rest dirt cheap on Beretta's site.

RJ
01-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Reference the magazine options, this is one of the things I am really digging about this little gun.

From left to right, I have:

15 round P30/VP9 with X Grip

13 round USPc with X Grip

10 round standard with +0 HK Parts extended floorplate

10 round standard

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/953f8e83fce8ff02f1d7e30fa0e3bbba.jpg

My favorite is the USPc; 13+1 seems adequate for carry to me and the Grip is solid. Next is the standard ten rounder; surprisingly, I can get a very satisfactory grip with it.

I'm not sure I would buy another +0 extended floorplate; the surface is solid aluminum and very slick.

The 15 I would use for a reload; it carries ok, but extends the grip quite a bit relative to the pistol size.

I'm aware of a couple more options; the aforementioned Gucci Heckler and Koch 10 round magazine with textured pinky rest shipping with the LE model; and the +1 (11) and +2 (12) magazine extensions from HK parts.net.

Very versatile handgun.

11B10
01-23-2017, 06:53 PM
You guys are the greatest. I'm not used to all the positive vibes I get here - it's so damn refreshing. Ya see, around my house, my "obsession" (that's her latest dig) is tolerated, never embraced. The leads you gave me will be checked out. I'm very lucky as the holster and ammo pouch I had for my Sig will work, not perfectly, but ok. Go figure. Got a box of 50 "ok" hollow points in the deal, which was done extremely well.

Ok, had to stop at my former employer's to show the little beauty to my ex-boss, who is a HUGE H&K guy. He has owned them for many years and always told me to buy H&K. I couldn't afford them until now. He's old school, but he was very impressed with MY P30SK! I finally got home and began dry firing. Imagine my distress when my gun started locking up, trying to eject and feed two rounds at once, one time each mag. I began to get excited and then remembered that the same thing had occurred when I brought my new Sig P320 home. That night I actually called Sig, where a tech asked me if I had live fired it yet. Said no and he said DO IT! It never jammed again. So, I relaxed and settled down. These were A-zoom caps, btw. It took just a teeny bit of shine off my day, but what are you gonna do, cry? LOL. I'm still excited as a kid on Christmas. I positively love this firearm! My live fire reports may be slow in coming - can't be helped. You fellas will be the first to know. I'm aware I can get pretty unbearable at times - thanks for putting up with me!

Doc_Glock
01-23-2017, 10:03 PM
My favorite is the USPc; 13+1 seems adequate for carry to me and the Grip is solid.

That is because it finally makes the grip Glock 19 sized.

(Ducks head)

I have a couple 13 round mags and a couple Xgrips on order. Hopefully the correct ones because they were USPC/P2000-P2000SK reductions. I didn't see anything for the P30SK.

Doc_Glock
01-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Got my friend at RCS to make me a VG2 for it.

Can your friend make another? I use a VG 2 for my Glock 26 and it would be perfect for the SK. I was unaware Raven offered this and maybe it is just a one off, but the would like a two off. Please.

A.G.
01-23-2017, 10:21 PM
Can your friend make another? I use a VG 2 for my Glock 26 and it would be perfect for the SK. I was unaware Raven offered this and maybe it is just a one off, but the would like a two off. Please.
I second (third?) this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Arbninftry
01-23-2017, 10:33 PM
That is because it finally makes the grip Glock 19 sized.

(Ducks head)

I have a couple 13 round mags and a couple Xgrips on order. Hopefully the correct ones because they were USPC/P2000-P2000SK reductions. I didn't see anything for the P30SK.
Your good. They are the same. If you have a little resistance whenever inserting the mag to the pistol, take a little off on the top of the grip.
I just shaved a hair off mine. They are technically for the p2000sk but they are the same specs mag wise. But, the grips are a tad different.

LSP972
01-23-2017, 11:18 PM
Reference the magazine options, this is one of the things I am really digging about this little gun.

From left to right, I have:

15 round P30/VP9 with X Grip

13 round USPc with X Grip

10 round standard with +0 HK Parts extended floorplate

10 round standard

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/953f8e83fce8ff02f1d7e30fa0e3bbba.jpg

My favorite is the USPc; 13+1 seems adequate for carry to me and the Grip is solid. Next is the standard ten rounder; surprisingly, I can get a very satisfactory grip with it.

I'm not sure I would buy another +0 extended floorplate; the surface is solid aluminum and very slick.

The 15 I would use for a reload; it carries ok, but extends the grip quite a bit relative to the pistol size.

I'm aware of a couple more options; the aforementioned Gucci Heckler and Koch 10 round magazine with textured pinky rest shipping with the LE model; and the +1 (11) and +2 (12) magazine extensions from HK parts.net.

Very versatile handgun.

Damn, Rich... Looks like you have it figured out already. Outstanding... Yes, the 15 round P30 mag is what I want to carry EDC on the spare side. What spacer is that? I think I ordered two of those?

11B10
01-24-2017, 06:44 AM
Damn, Rich... Looks like you have it figured out already. Outstanding... Yes, the 15 round P30 mag is what I want to carry EDC on the spare side. What spacer is that? I think I ordered two of those?

Between Rich and DB, we've got plenty of info, LSP!

RJ
01-24-2017, 07:42 AM

LSP, yeah, that's as per Arbinftry's post above; they are listed for the P2000SK but fit.

I'll go check the hkparts.net X Grip web pages and will post back if there's anything different.

11B10
01-24-2017, 07:44 AM
LSP, yeah, that's as per Arbinftry's post above; they are listed for the P2000SK but fit.

I'll go check the hkparts.net X Grip web pages and will post back if there's anything different.

I'm all eyes, Rich.

Jason M
01-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Rich,

I just ordered two of the +0 baseplates for the 10 round mags. They look slippery as hell. Some skateboard tape may be the fix? I have some 13 round USPC and 15 round P30 mags for the reload. I am OK with just the bare mag hanging out of the mag well. Do the x-grip things make a difference in feel or do they change the way the gun points? Do they stay put or do they migrate and create a risk of the mag not seating properly?

RJ
01-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Rich,

I just ordered two of the +0 baseplates for the 10 round mags. They look slippery as hell. Some skateboard tape may be the fix? I have some 13 round USPC and 15 round P30 mags for the reload. I am OK with just the bare mag hanging out of the mag well. Do the x-grip things make a difference in feel or do they change the way the gun points? Do they stay put or do they migrate and create a risk of the mag not seating properly?

Yes they are slippery. If you look at my photo, the shine is from the coated (painted?) aluminum.

I have not seen them, but my guess is the HK +0 baseplate extensions (shipping with LE) are both polymer and better textured (from a grip point of view.). These magazines from HK are in the region of $50, I believe. Nice, but given the standard 10 round shoots ok for me, I haven't ordered any (yet).

I have noted no changes in pointing with regard to inserting different magazines/baseplates, but remember 1) I am a noob and 2) I only have 306 rounds live fire so far. This includes the shiny +0 floor plate.

Reference the X Grips 'staying in place': no issues for me. Both sizes are slightly compressed when seated. I have not personally had to trim either of mine. Sample of one and all that.

As a wish list item, if X Grip made 'P30SK' versions with the sleeve textured to match the elbow macaroni texture pattern, that would be cool. But in practice I don't seem to notice it shooting, and I grip pretty hard.

As say, my favorite way to carry/shoot is with the USPc 13 round magazine and the short X Grip sleeve. It would be neat if HK shipped the standard pistol with a 10 round standard and a Grip sleeved 13 USPc magazine. Almost as good as a G19. :cool:

LSP972
01-24-2017, 11:56 AM
Well, between Brownell's and HKParts.net, I've ordered a couple hundred bucks of those spacers/etc., so we'll see what works/what doesn't.

Have been carrying a USPc 9mm for over a year, using a 15 round P30 magazine with a standard spacer as a spare. It fits perfectly, I fixed-up two others for practice/training and have been using them a lot. Cannot transfer any photos yet - gotta get some different wiring- but I'll show some things when I can.

My point here is, I will keep a USPc rig, but am going to be EDC "packing" a P30SK for the foreseeable future. And will be setting up 13 and 15 round HK magazines for practice/training. Hopefully "they" will take back the stuff I don't need... :-)

11B10
01-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Yes they are slippery. If you look at my photo, the shine is from the coated (painted?) aluminum.

I have not seen them, but my guess is the HK +0 baseplate extensions (shipping with LE) are both polymer and better textured (from a grip point of view.). These magazines from HK are in the region of $50, I believe. Nice, but given the standard 10 round shoots ok for me, I haven't ordered any (yet).

I have noted no changes in pointing with regard to inserting different magazines/baseplates, but remember 1) I am a noob and 2) I only have 306 rounds live fire so far. This includes the shiny +0 floor plate.

Reference the X Grips 'staying in place': no issues for me. Both sizes are slightly compressed when seated. I have not personally had to trim either of mine. Sample of one and all that.

As a wish list item, if X Grip made 'P30SK' versions with the sleeve textured to match the elbow macaroni texture pattern, that would be cool. But in practice I don't seem to notice it shooting, and I grip pretty hard.

As say, my favorite way to carry/shoot is with the USPc 13 round magazine and the short X Grip sleeve. It would be neat if HK shipped the standard pistol with a 10 round standard and a Grip sleeved 13 USPc magazine. Almost as good as a G19. :cool:

Rich, you're correct about the LE magazine - had it in my new pistol yesterday, but had to give it back, dammit. Forgot to mention, my P30SK is a V3/DA-SA/decocking "button" and all. Please wish me luck as it's been many years since I've carried and shot, a 1911-ish gun. All kinds of possibilities!

11B10
01-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Well, between Brownell's and HKParts.net, I've ordered a couple hundred bucks of those spacers/etc., so we'll see what works/what doesn't.

Have been carrying a USPc 9mm for over a year, using a 15 round P30 magazine with a standard spacer as a spare. It fits perfectly, I fixed-up two others for practice/training and have been using them a lot. Cannot transfer any photos yet - gotta get some different wiring- but I'll show some things when I can.

My point here is, I will keep a USPc rig, but am going to be EDC "packing" a P30SK for the foreseeable future. And will be setting up 13 and 15 round HK magazines for practice/training. Hopefully "they" will take back the stuff I don't need... :-)

LSP, you sneaky devil, you. Here you're giving me all this Glock 43 stuff and it turns out you and I find the same "Grail gun" - at the same time! I didn't have the funds to just buy one, so I had to do some dealing. I managed to work a trade, actually paying a bit out, for a P30SK. I have found my EDC, that's for sure! Please allow me to live vicariously, through you, while you do some live fire. Some target photos would be great. I hope you're doing well, Sir.

LSP972
01-25-2017, 12:32 PM
LSP, you sneaky devil, you. Here you're giving me all this Glock 43 stuff and it turns out you and I find the same "Grail gun" - at the same time! I didn't have the funds to just buy one, so I had to do some dealing. I managed to work a trade, actually paying a bit out, for a P30SK. I have found my EDC, that's for sure! Please allow me to live vicariously, through you, while you do some live fire. Some target photos would be great. I hope you're doing well, Sir.

Getting by is about all right now; back in Houston, hopefully for the last time. Going home tonight.

I'll have some photos, but I'm getting a new 'puter ASAP and will need to reset, etc. And I'm still waiting on pieces/parts to check out. You should be shooting yours, eh?

11B10
01-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Getting by is about all right now; back in Houston, hopefully for the last time. Going home tonight.

I'll have some photos, but I'm getting a new 'puter ASAP and will need to reset, etc. And I'm still waiting on pieces/parts to check out. You should be shooting yours, eh?

I'm praying for your ordeal to end - it's gone on long enough, dammit!
The reason I said I'd live through you is because I'm currently so damn broke that I wrangled a box of hollow points from the FFL as part of the deal, just so I could carry with effect. Facts is facts! I'm dry firing, but I had some issues with that as I posted the other night. I'm doing what I can and am crazy about shooting it - just can't right now. I feel blessed just owning it.

RJ
01-25-2017, 04:23 PM

Sorry, been a bit busy to get to a PC to close out this comment. I did check, and it is as per what Arbinftry posted. I just wanted to add the links/info from the hkparts.net web site, for convenience of anyone following this thread who wanted to order them.

There are two X grip spacers I have. One is for VP9/P30 mags and is listed for the P2000SK. This slips over VP9 15 round magazines , which are then inserted into the P30SK:

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/X-Grip-HK-P2000SK-P30-VP9-Magazine-Adapter-204p16669.htm

The XGRIP adapts the HK P30/VP9 magazine for use in the P2000SK incorporating the larger magazine into the P2000SKs grip, and increasing the capacity to 15 rounds in 9mm and 13 rounds in .40 cal.

The second spacer I have is for USPc (compact) 13 round magazines, and again, is listed for the P2000SK. With this spacer slipped over a 13 round USPc magazine (the flat floor plate ones), it fits right into the P30SK:

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=910

The XGRIP adapts the HK P2000 hi capacity magazine for use in the P2000SK incorporating the larger magazine into the P2000SKs grip, and increasing the guns capacity to 13 rounds in 9mm and 12 rounds in .40 cal.

Hope this helps.

JoeSixPack
01-25-2017, 09:45 PM

Here's a comparison of the Brand X sleeve to digital printed sleeves that I picked up on ebay. These are for the 13 round P2000/USPC mags and were crafted with a digital printer. IMHO, The fit is better than the P2000 to P2000sk Brand X sleeve. Also note that I replaced the barbed spleen hooks with traditional flat floor plates to keep it neat and tidy. Search ebay for P30sk sleeve and you will find them. You gotta figure the guy who makes them (Kyle) is a P30sk owner and saw a need, plus he has a pretty cool manufacturing tool at his disposal. I am not affiliated in any way other than being a satisfied buyer who will buy more as I add magazines. I really like the 13's in the sk with this setup. The ergo's just match my hand. Thanks to those who pointed out the sweet $499 deal a few pages back!

Best to all,
JSP

RJ
01-25-2017, 10:04 PM

Here's a comparison of the Brand X sleeve to digital printed sleeves that I picked up on ebay. These are for the 13 round P2000/USPC mags and were crafted with a digital printer. IMHO, The fit is better than the P2000 to P2000sk Brand X sleeve. Also note that I replaced the barbed spleen hooks with traditional flat floor plates to keep it neat and tidy. Search ebay for P30sk sleeve and you will find them. You gotta figure the guy who makes them (Kyle) is a P30sk owner and saw a need, plus he has a pretty cool manufacturing tool at his disposal. I am not affiliated in any way other than being a satisfied buyer who will buy more as I add magazines. I really like the 13's in the sk with this setup. The ergo's just match my hand. Thanks to those who pointed out the sweet $499 deal a few pages back!

Best to all,
JSP

Very cool. I wonder if he could put some patterning on those? I confess I'm unsure what a digital printer can do. If the elbow macaroni is not trademark infringement, that is.

I'll definitely check that out, thanks.

ETA: Found it on eBay. Wow! Only $12. Very interesting...

JoeSixPack
01-25-2017, 10:28 PM
Ha, elbow macaroni - that's it! I don't really miss the pattern when shooting but was wondering the same thing when I got them. He did put fine raised dots on the surfaces where the bottom of the sleeve mates to the floor plate so it might be possible. I just think it's cool that he found away to use modern technology and support his habit at the same time.
Best,
JSP

Willard
01-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Hope you have a full & speedy recovery.

LSP972
01-25-2017, 11:18 PM
You guys are well ahead of me; looks to me like ya'll are in good shape. I'm still waiting on my orders from HKParts and Brownell's. I have traded the flat floor plates on my gun's two ten round mags for standard USPc 9mm floor plates... Those I can use, but they are BARELY enough. Those first +2 bottoms I have are very nice... And WAY too heavy.

JSP, your eBay thing looks quite interesting. Those items Rich showed us are among the stuff I ordered, so I'll be checking them out... Eventually. HKParts sends things when they get around to it, apparently.

11B10
01-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Wow, you fellas are into overdrive on this! So much great info, I want ya'all to know I'm taking notes. I'm like a kid with this new pistol. It truly IS my Grail gun. Please don't stop. Much appreciated.

LSP972
01-26-2017, 01:38 PM
I feel blessed just owning it.

If you will send me your solid address via a private message here, I'll send you a few boxes of "good" hardball to practice with. Nowadays, ammo is the one thing I have all I will ever be able to use...:confused:

11B10
01-27-2017, 09:40 AM
If you will send me your solid address via a private message here, I'll send you a few boxes of "good" hardball to practice with. Nowadays, ammo is the one thing I have all I will ever be able to use...:confused:

PM on the way, brother.

11B10
01-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Rich, LSP, anyone - have any of you experienced issues with A-zoom snap caps? I bought a pack of 5 when I bought my P30SK last week. I had some problems that night as I posted then. I resisted trying them until today cause I couldn't stand it! Well, the first two mags were fine, then the pistol just "locked up" again. I worked at least 10 minutes of patient manipulation of the slide, which was about 1/4" out of battery. The slide moves about 1/32" - just enough to keep me trying. Just as the first time, it finally moved the cap enough that I could get it out - gun back to normal. This makes me ask if there's any problem with dry firing without snap caps - can you? I said in my earlier post, this occurred with my P320 until I called Sig, who told me to go shoot it. I did and that gun never me alfunctioned again. Anybody have an idea what's going on?

58thunderbird
01-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Riding the slide.
Not pulling back completely.
Lack of lubricant.
Snap caps are not brass and have higher friction.
Just off the top of my head.

RJ
01-29-2017, 10:20 PM
Rich, LSP, anyone - have any of you experienced issues with A-zoom snap caps? I bought a pack of 5 when I bought my P30SK last week. I had some problems that night as I posted then. I resisted trying them until today cause I couldn't stand it! Well, the first two mags were fine, then the pistol just "locked up" again. I worked at least 10 minutes of patient manipulation of the slide, which was about 1/4" out of battery. The slide moves about 1/32" - just enough to keep me trying. Just as the first time, it finally moved the cap enough that I could get it out - gun back to normal. This makes me ask if there's any problem with dry firing without snap caps - can you? I said in my earlier post, this occurred with my P320 until I called Sig, who told me to go shoot it. I did and that gun never me alfunctioned again. Anybody have an idea what's going on?

11B - Huh. Idk. I've used this same pack of five by Tipton since 2014. Had them in a buncha guns and never had any issues like you are describing.

Snap Cap Pistol 9 mm Luger 5 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048KFEQI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3bRJybA1F9AYT

Maybe toss the A Zooms and try something else?

flyrodr
01-29-2017, 10:39 PM
I bought some A-zooms some years ago. They're all aluminum, at least they were back then, and thus somewhat prone to getting scuffed up when they encounter steel: repeatedly loading them in mags, feeding into and ejecting from chambers, etc. So I'd check for any raised spots caused by gouges, etc. The softer Al is more "grabby".

Look at S.T. Action Pro snap caps. I got some at the local LE supply house. They have nickel-plated brass cases with bright orange (or yellow) ABS "bullets". More expensive, but might feed better.

OnionsAndDragons
01-30-2017, 12:50 AM

No problem dry firing without caps. Go nuts. The only thing you are going to break on a modern semi-auto by dry firing is your trigger rebound/return spring, and on an HK that will take you some time.

I bought some A-zooms some years ago. They're all aluminum, at least they were back then, and thus somewhat prone to getting scuffed up when they encounter steel: repeatedly loading them in mags, feeding into and ejecting from chambers, etc. So I'd check for any raised spots caused by gouges, etc. The softer Al is more "grabby".

Look at S.T. Action Pro snap caps. I got some at the local LE supply house. They have nickel-plated brass cases with bright orange (or yellow) ABS "bullets". More expensive, but might feed better.

^^^^^^ THESE. Some sellers just market them as dummy training rounds without the branding. I buy some extras anytime I order targets from LETargets. The casings are much better as far as feeding and extraction.

LSP972
01-31-2017, 11:36 AM

Well, hell. Two... TWO lousy 50 round boxes... of good practice 9mm... That I was giving you. And this morning, my wife takes that box to send to you.

And they (the government postal service, of course) want FORTY SEVEN DOLLARS to send it to you. Serious??? Yes, she confirmed, that is exactly what they want. Because, they say, that is the requirement. Right.

Sorry, bud, but this is ridiculous. I tried, never imagining THAT silly shit.

Sorry again, but no steenkin' way I am doing that.

SecondsCount
01-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Well, hell. Two... TWO lousy 50 round boxes... of good practice 9mm... That I was giving you. And this morning, my wife takes that box to send to you.

And they (the government postal service, of course) want FORTY SEVEN DOLLARS to send it to you. Serious??? Yes, she confirmed, that is exactly what they want. Because, they say, that is the requirement. Right.

I didn't think a private party could ship ammunition via USPS?

RJ
01-31-2017, 02:11 PM
Just an FYI and Tip of the Hat to Melody Lauer:

http://melodylauer.com/2015/03/the-aiwb-holster-hack/

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170131/c0696f570ed2b538dc92689a140b1ddb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170131/fb74c49d0154abdca005f6a03ba3db1d.jpg

Bought these Dr. Scholls Womens gel inserts at WalMart, about $5.

I attached one of the pads at the bottom of my P30SK holster with some Velcro. It tucks the holster in slightly, and cushions it right where the base of the holster rests against the point of my hip. Plus being rubber it seems like it 'locks' the holster to the fabric of my cargo shorts.

(I seem to have gravitated to 'just forward of 9 o'clock as most comfortable for me. Combined with some recent weight loss, I have a sort of hollow in this area.)

LSP972
01-31-2017, 02:33 PM
I didn't think a private party could ship ammunition via USPS?

Well of course not. The bonehead was concerned only with getting the money needed to pay those hi-speed...

Never mind. You cannot even be a nice guy anymore.

Whatever.

11B10
01-31-2017, 08:48 PM

No freakin wonder PSP is messed up. That's crazy. Don't even think of....aw crap, you already did apologize. TWICE!

Ya know, I wondered about this endeavor, LSP - I didn't know you could ship ammo either, but then, what the heck do I know?

I'm just floored you even thought about it - you're somethin, dude! You set a high bar, my friend.

To all who responded to my problem with the A-zooms, thanks - as always, this forum is THE best. I know I'm going to get good stuff every time. Now, when I read ST Action Pro's, I chuckled because those were the ones that jammed up my SIG P320C that I referred to in my first post! Two things here: As soon as I get this house project halfway straightened up (ie: get my bride back on cruise control), I've just got to find a way to get to the range. That was all it took to get my SIG on track. Second thing: now that Onions and Dragons has told me I can dry fire without them, I'm gonna get after it. I gotta tell you guys something you already know: This doggone P30SK is one FINE firearm! I get off on the "clicks" each time you do anything - load a magazine or rack the slide or that straight-from-Heaven trigger! I am in love with a gun. Go ahead, all of you.