PDA

View Full Version : No longer using a "night stand" gun

shootist26
01-28-2015, 03:17 PM
instead, I am considering going towards a "night pants" gun. Here's my plan and reasoning:

I'm going to take an old loose pair of jeans, put a belt around it, and attach a holster to it. This empty pair of pants will sit right next to my bed ready for me to drop my feet right into it and pull up. My M9A1+WML, which formerly sat on my nightstand, will be secured in that holster. This way, once I pull up my pants, I've got a pistol holstered and ready to go.

Advantages:
-trigger is kept covered
-can still be immediately accessed just like a nightstand gun in the event somebody breaks into my bedroom
-i can quickly put on pants and have a holstered pistol ready to go if there is ever a situation where I need to investigate outside (i can think of several examples--police/FD knocking, neighbor, etc)

Disadvantages:
-?

Maybe everybody else is already doing this and I'm just behind the times? But this thought just came to me and after thinking it through, I had to ask myself why the hell wasn't I doing it sooner?

23JAZ
01-28-2015, 03:26 PM
instead, I am considering going towards a "night pants" gun. Here's my plan and reasoning:

I'm going to take an old loose pair of jeans, put a belt around it, and attach a holster to it. This empty pair of pants will sit right next to my bed ready for me to drop my feet right into it and pull up. My M9A1+WML, which formerly sat on my nightstand, will be secured in that holster. This way, once I pull up my pants, I've got a pistol holstered and ready to go.

Advantages:
-trigger is kept covered
-can still be immediately accessed just like a nightstand gun in the event somebody breaks into my bedroom
-i can quickly put on pants and have a holstered pistol ready to go if there is ever a situation where I need to investigate outside (i can think of several examples--police/FD knocking, neighbor, etc)

Disadvantages:
-?

Maybe everybody else is already doing this and I'm just behind the times? But this thought just came to me and after thinking it through, I had to ask myself why the hell wasn't I doing it sooner?

Kids in the house? What do you do with the pants pistol during hours you're not home? Sounds like a great idea if you live alone or always lock the pants up or take the pistol with you. I personally prefer having it locked in a quick access safe. Kids, robberies, psychotic girlfriend (hot/crazy matrix) etc etc.

shootist26
01-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Kids in the house? What do you do with the pants pistol during hours you're not home? Sounds like a great idea if you live alone or always lock the pants up or take the pistol with you. I personally prefer having it locked in a quick access safe. Kids, robberies, psychotic girlfriend (hot/crazy matrix) etc etc.

live alone. Pistol gets put back in safe when I leave the house

Casual Friday
01-28-2015, 04:09 PM
I have a pair of cargo shorts that I wear year round when I'm at home with a belt and holster that is for the same task. They are a couple sizes too big from when I was fatter so they can be slid on in a somewhat hurried fashion and reside by my bedside at night. Pistol is kept in a pistol safe though because I have kids of my own and often have other kids in the house as well. Children are the apex predator. They roam around, often silently and unassuming, just looking for ways to reign death upon those in their path. I'm convinced a group of 3-5 elementary school age kids can do more damage to a dwelling in an afternoon than a team of highly trained special forces operators with explosives.

KevinB
01-28-2015, 04:10 PM
DocGKR has been doing that for several years.

For me with Kids and Dog's (that like to drag my pants around) it's a no-go - though I often do it in hotels when away from home.

okie john
01-28-2015, 04:49 PM
This way, once I pull up my pants, I've got a pistol holstered and ready to go.

I'd bet that having the pistol/WML in the holster will slow down the process of getting your pants secured, and that having the pants/holster combo on standby, with the pistol/WML on the nightstand will get you headed out the door faster and with less fumbling.

That way, if the flag flies, you put on your pants, grab your piece, and sally forth into the night. You'll have your pistol in hand and can holster if necessary rather than the other way around.

Why not come up with a few variations on the technique, then time yourself as you try them at speed in the dark?

Okie John

RevolverRob
01-28-2015, 05:09 PM
I always thought this was a great job for "war belts"/duty belts A big padded belt with a holster, two mags, IFAK/BOK, maybe a spot for your cellphone and a flashlight. Everything is secure, get up, wrap belt around, buckle with quick lock buckle, push down onto your hips to keep things from jostling around - boom ready to go. If you keep a long gun ready, you could also put extra ammo on the war belt.

I admit the 'pants' part if intriguing. Most of my night time defensive modes go with the Nyeti approach - an armed, angry, naked, hairy man - pants might be good...but also detract from the shock value...

23JAZ
01-28-2015, 05:55 PM
live alone. Pistol gets put back in safe when I leave the house
In a situation like that a pair of pistol pants is great idea. Although if I were to confront a home intruder butt naked I feel like the shock effect from see a big hairy naked guy pointing a glock at him would at least reduce the intruder's reaction time by a second or 2.:p

ETA: Just read last post. I'd go with the Nyeti method. The WTF! effect will help in your favor!

Jay Cunningham
01-28-2015, 06:03 PM
You may want to check out the Keepers Concealment Errand or the similar holster offering from Dark Star Gear. Both are designed to be worn with or without belts.

Malamute
01-28-2015, 06:20 PM
I always thought this was a great job for "war belts"/duty belts A big padded belt with a holster, two mags, IFAK/BOK, maybe a spot for your cellphone and a flashlight. Everything is secure, get up, wrap belt around, buckle with quick lock buckle, push down onto your hips to keep things from jostling around - boom ready to go...

I think this idea has some merit.

One probably doesnt have to be big and hairy to make an intruder stop for a few seconds.

JCS
01-28-2015, 07:17 PM
I've had to wake up and put on pants hundreds of times in the middle of the night at work. It's not easy. I'd practice it for sure. If I heard something inside my house I'm not taking time to put on pants. I really like having a holster tho.

Edwin
01-28-2015, 07:25 PM
Couldn't you use one of those IPSC/USPSA velcro belts with everything already setup to put it on quickly?

JoeSixPack
01-28-2015, 09:38 PM
I like the belt idea but my current setup is to keep a j frame, flashlight and folder in the pockets of a pair of cargo shorts at my bedside. I also keep a G19 in a kydex IWB with a belt clip between the mattress and box springs with the grip sticking out far enough that I can grasp it while in bed. The belt clip keeps it in place unless I give the mattress a slight lift and I can pull it out and stick it in my waistband pretty quickly. The shorts are always threaded with a reinforced belt that keeps them opened enough for an easy grab and pull on. My cell phone is on the night stand and easily reached. If the situation were to call for leaving the room, the wifey gets the j frame and has her phone ready. She knows where the G19 is if I'm not in the room plus the safe in the MBR closet is unlocked at night and has additional conflict resolution resources if she/we need to retreat. If necessary, we could exit through the MBR closet window. Everything is locked away or carried when we're not at home. No kids in the house. Always looking for better solutions.

Paul
01-29-2015, 01:36 AM
This is one situation where I keep a shoulder holster handy, currently a Safariland ALS. I'm not nearly coordinated enough to wake up, put on a pair of pants and secure a belt buckle in a hurry. Then again I have days where waking up enough to shoot an intruder without a minimum of two cups of coffee, might be a problem.

SLG
01-29-2015, 05:11 AM
I prefer to just grab my gun and not put pants on. I want to intimidate the intruder in every way possible :-)

rob_s
01-29-2015, 06:58 AM
I wrote an article for SWAT about a similar topic a few years ago. Basically, SO wakes me up saying theirs noise outside, I look out the window and think I see something that clearly needs intervening, Rush downstairs and open door only to discover it's teenage rich-bitches acting like teenage rich-bitches. I did not, in this case, take my gun, but if occurred to metp that (a) if I had I would have probably gotten a visit from the popo, not to mention their daddy's lawyers, and (b) it would have been a good ruse to lure me outside for nefarious purposes. So I need a gun, but I don't want to expose it of not necessary.

The solution I came up with was a fanny pack from Galco. Side benefit is that I could keep a BOK, handheld light, spare mag, etc. in it. It would also, then, serve as a mini BOB and a great take along for hotel stays. And it requires no pants or belt. Downsides are that, well, it's a fanny pack, as well as possible slower deployment of gun. Both worthwhile concessions IMO.

The one thing I'd like to come up with is a way to stage the thing wherein it's locked up and secured, but when I open the locked storage I can choose to either grab just the gun or the whole bag. I think the answer is a rifle safe with a shelf and some creative use of Velcro. Haven't gotten that far yet.

JHC
01-29-2015, 07:27 AM
I wrote an article for SWAT about a similar topic a few years ago. Basically, SO wakes me up saying theirs noise outside, I look out the window and think I see something that clearly needs intervening, Rush downstairs and open door only to discover it's teenage rich-bitches acting like teenage rich-bitches. I did not, in this case, take my gun, but if occurred to metp that (a) if I had I would have probably gotten a visit from the popo, not to mention their daddy's lawyers, and (b) it would have been a good ruse to lure me outside for nefarious purposes. So I need a gun, but I don't want to expose it of not necessary.

The solution I came up with was a fanny pack from Galco. Side benefit is that I could keep a BOK, handheld light, spare mag, etc. in it. It would also, then, serve as a mini BOB and a great take along for hotel stays. And it requires no pants or belt. Downsides are that, well, it's a fanny pack, as well as possible slower deployment of gun. Both worthwhile concessions IMO.

The one thing I'd like to come up with is a way to stage the thing wherein it's locked up and secured, but when I open the locked storage I can choose to either grab just the gun or the whole bag. I think the answer is a rifle safe with a shelf and some creative use of Velcro. Haven't gotten that far yet.

I'm using a stout North Face fanny pack for the night time kit. (not "this is great kit man" but it actually is a kit - several things in a container ;) )

BigT
01-29-2015, 08:24 AM

I use a similar setup with a maxpedition fatboy versapack. Can throw it over my shoulder naked and have a gun mags and a light. Pistol fits with or without a light and it's easy to dump straight into the gun pocket if I need the gun gone.

Also if observed I look like a creepy dude with a handbag and not a man with a gun.

Hambo
01-29-2015, 08:57 AM
I wrote an article for SWAT about a similar topic a few years ago. Basically, SO wakes me up saying theirs noise outside, I look out the window and think I see something that clearly needs intervening, Rush downstairs and open door

I don't often venture out in the dark looking for trouble, but when I do, I go heeled. ;) Actually I don't get paid to hunt people in the dark anymore, so I'm happy to leave that to the guys who do.

That leaves me with people breaking into the house. What I wear to sleep will be enough clothing. If I were going to put something else on, I would vote for body armor, not pants. We have no kids to worry about, so my holstered pistols, spare mags, lights, and phone are within arms reach.

rob_s
01-29-2015, 09:41 AM
I generally would not venture outside either, but what I thought I was seeing was someone getting repeatedly, intentionally,run over with a car. Since that would have been a neighbor, and I liked my neighbors at the time, I was willing to try to help them.

David Armstrong
01-29-2015, 10:17 AM
If I don't have time to get dressed somewhat normally I will clearly be in a situation where getting dressed will not be one of my main concerns. If I feel I need to gear up I'll grab the go-bag off the hook in the closet and the long gun to accompany it if appropriate. For me, the nightstand gun is just the first layer of response to be used when I can't get to the more serious stuff.

Byron
01-29-2015, 10:29 AM
I keep a G17 with mounted light/laser in a fanny pack (specifically a large Tommy's Gun Pack) with a spare mag and plenty of other goodies inside. If the wife wants me to investigate a bump in the night (which is rare, but happens), I like being able to immediately buckle it on and have everything I want at my disposal. As soon as I put it on, I draw the pistol out, but can easily put it back if I need to cover it up.

I also keep a basic G19 in the night stand, wearing a VG2 to keep the trigger covered... but there's little reason for me to do so. Given the layout/security of our house, it would take a really weird ninja to get in here and all the way to our bedroom without us hearing any warning. I therefore can't see any realistic situation in which the tiny speed difference of accessing the G19 provides me benefit.

If I'm suddenly the target of dudes who silently pass every valuable in my home on their way to busting into my third floor bedroom, I don't think my choice in nightstand setups will make any real difference. Thankfully I live an uneventful life in an uneventful neighborhood.

But steering myself back on topic: I definitely like a fanny pack for this role.

David Pennington
01-29-2015, 06:24 PM
I've always used a LE type duty belt (Cobra buckle version) hung on a peg in my closet. I can literally have it on in under 10 seconds from when my feet hit the ground and it's out of sight when not in use. It gives me:

G17/X300U in a security holster
3 spare mags
Handheld Surefire EB2 Backup
MK9 (aka riot sized) OC

I've never been comfortable leaving something like a loaded Glock just laying on a nightstand unholstered.

If I have more time/need I can add armor or a carbine as needed.

KevinB
01-29-2015, 09:27 PM
Respond Naked...

Chuck Haggard
01-29-2015, 09:38 PM
One reason why I like a fanny pack is that I can have the whole gunfight/building search kit in one bag that I can wear, buck nekid if I have to.

ToddG
01-29-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm also a fan of the fanny pack approach but I keep the gun out. If something weird happens and I need the gun immediately, I have the gun immediately at hand. If I choose to move beyond my bedside, I can throw on the fanny pack and keep the gun in my hand. If the situation dictates that the gun disappears from view, then I put the gun in the fanny pack.

BobLoblaw
01-29-2015, 11:44 PM
I'm also a fan of the fanny pack approach but I keep the gun out. If something weird happens and I need the gun immediately, I have the gun immediately at hand. If I choose to move beyond my bedside, I can throw on the fanny pack and keep the gun in my hand. If the situation dictates that the gun disappears from view, then I put the gun in the fanny pack.

I like this idea much more. No kids and no mansion here. I sleep like a rock sometimes and could have less than 30 seconds in a worst case scenario. I don't like the idea of attempting to draw a pistol from a pair of wadded up pants or trying to hop in pants during a possible break in, especially if in REM sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LHS
01-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Another vote for the Tommy Pack. I can be buck naked and instantly buckle on a holster, spare mag, light and BOK.

45dotACP
01-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Respond Naked...

This is good advice. I'm fairly certain the sight of a really really white, fat, butt naked apparition, screaming at the top of his lungs with a G34 would be enough to throw even the most seasoned criminal's OODA loop out of commission.

LHS
01-30-2015, 03:58 PM
This is good advice. I'm fairly certain the sight of a really really white, fat, butt naked apparition, screaming at the top of his lungs with a G34 would be enough to throw even the most seasoned criminal's OODA loop out of commission.

I consider my naked body to be a flashbang when used in conjunction with a good flashlight.

JAD
01-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Whereas my name is a killing word. I have a four year old who turns out to be mechanical, so when not being carried my pistol is 30 feet away in a biometric safe.

Mr_White
02-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Whereas my name is a killing word. I have a four year old who turns out to be mechanical, so when not being carried my pistol is 30 feet away in a biometric safe.

Greetings, Muad'Dib.

Dropkick
02-02-2015, 04:49 PM
You may want to check out the Keepers Concealment Errand or the similar holster offering from Dark Star Gear. Both are designed to be worn with or without belts.

But are either of those available (and work well) for anything bigger than a subcompact?

TR675
02-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Respond Naked...

I consider my naked body to be a flashbang when used in conjunction with a good flashlight.

Between y'all and Nyeti, there might be enough folks to put on a TNR (Tactical Naked Response) Home Defense Class at HiTS sometime this year once it warms up a bit.

Just try not to confuse your rifle and your gun.

Notorious E.O.C.
02-02-2015, 05:48 PM
What was the line from F2S on another site that I had to save for posterity? Oh, yeah: "I have found that you can get away with some pretty audacious shit if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."

1slow
02-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Between y'all and Nyeti, there might be enough folks to put on a TNR (Tactical Naked Response) Home Defense Class at HiTS sometime this year once it warms up a bit.

Just try not to confuse your rifle and your gun.

Where are you going to get polished Spartan helmets ?

ToddG
02-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Here (http://www.historicalclothingrealm.com/ir8060.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=97300683381&gclid=CNHGr8W2xMMCFUE2gQodfI0AJA) ... Google really has changed the world as we know it.

theJanitor
02-02-2015, 06:56 PM
I used to have a war belt set up. It was quick to don with a cobra buckle and quick to get a gun in play with a SLS holster. now that I have the most michevious 2yo running amok, the pistol get's locked up in a safe.

After this weekend's developments, I'll work to include "GRIPZONE!!!" into the plan.