PDA

View Full Version : Overheard At the NRA Range

ToddG
08-08-2011, 01:51 PM
The benefit of wifi at the range...

"Yeah, that's a .45... They call it the slow poke round. It's only going a few hundred feet per second compared to a 9mm which is going fifteen or sixteen hundred."

"It's pointed downrange!" (guy who was holding a loaded gun pointed at his buddy's back while buddy was on the line shooting)

JDM
08-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Doing my best to spend time around real shooters, and, on the Internet this forum and M4C, it's easy to forget how rampant shit like this still is.

JV_
08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I usually keep my ear plugs in when I'm not on the range, I add the muffs on the range. Thanks for reminding me why I should continue that practice.

Kyle Reese
08-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Things I've noticed at the NRA Range:

-I'm doing some drills, and the shooter(s) to my flanks think just because I'm shooting "fast" they have to speed up their rate of fire. It gets annoying after a while. I'm not there to compete with anyone, steal their girlfriend or make fun of their choice in a defensive/recreational sidearm.

-The safety rules apply to the Next Guy.

-Lubing an AR type weapon is a Bad Thing, and it's a "piecasheeeit" when it stops functioning properly.

I could go on.

JV_
08-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I could go on.+1.

Adam
08-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Sigh….

There are really only a few kinds of gun people and shooters in this world in my opinion. One type is like most of us. We love it, we are on fire for it, it is our favorite activity and when paired with our drive for it, often results in above average performance.

Then there is one of the other kinds that I’m convinced only own guns and shoot for the “Hey, watch this!” factor.

The 2A is there for those doobers too. I can say that I have been luckier than some in that I’ve only been to a public range about 6 times in my whole life, but nearly all 6 of those times ended in me scratching my head. :D

ToddG
08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I meant to sticky and lock this thread but couldn't do it from Tapatalk. It wasn't my intention to turn it into a harangue toward shooters in general. But I hear at least one off the wall thing every time I'm there and thought it would be fun to keep track... :cool:

ubervic
08-08-2011, 04:43 PM
"It's pointed downrange!" (guy who was holding a loaded gun pointed at his buddy's back while buddy was on the line shooting)

I remember taking a 'Hunter Safety' course in 8th grade about 30 years ago, when it was drilled into my head that you NEVER point a firearm in the direction of anything you do not wish to destroy. I am amazed at how so many, even with the benefit of having it explained to them, don't understand and practice this core principle.

LittleLebowski
08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I once watched two firefighters try to circumvent the NRA range ban on targets with human faces by informing the RSOs that they were "law enforcement officers."

It did not go well for them and they could not shoot.

Kyle Reese
08-08-2011, 10:36 PM
I once watched two firefighters try to circumvent the NRA range ban on targets with human faces by informing the RSOs that they were "law enforcement officers."

It did not go well for them and they could not shoot.

Was I there too? That sounds familiar...

LittleLebowski
08-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Was I there too? That sounds familiar...

No, but comedy ensued as they started whining loudly after the RSO left and I informed the RSOs of their trash talking :D

MechEng
08-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I always find it interesting when 3-4 young men, share one lane, with one brand new AK type rifle covered in cosmoline and still in the brown cardboard box. They have a plastic bag full of surplus ammo and one AK magazine. They take turns shooting it while a RSO nervously hovers over their shoulders making constant safety corrections. I usually have to many layers (plugs + muffs) of hearing protection on to hear what was said by the RSO. I’ve witnessed this more than once and usually after the big gun show up near Dulles.

JFK
08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
My favorite so far....

"You shouldn't rack the slide so hard when you chamber a round. It is bad for the gun and you might set a primer off by accident."

CCT125US
08-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Said to me by a student: "You see this is a Glock, I don't need to learn about malfunctions because Glocks always work" Now that statement is funny in itself, but the fact that the very next round was a failure to eject was perfect timing. Then he had a double feed.... he payed attention as I was clearing his firearm..... again. Ran great the rest of the class, but talk about timing.

Alpha Sierra
08-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Gentlemen, the firearms world has the same proportion of window lickers and short bus riders as the general population. At the very least.

Kyle Reese
08-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Gentlemen, the firearms world has the same proportion of window lickers and short bus riders as the general population. At the very least.

They all seem to congregate at local ranges! :D

I witnessed a gentleman at the NRA Range a while back dressed like he was going to a Depeche Mode concert, wearing shower shoes (sans socks) on the range. Yet another jamming on his Ipod while blasting away with a Beretta PX4.

Dropkick
08-19-2011, 08:30 AM
I witnessed a gentleman at the NRA Range a while back dressed like he was going to a Depeche Mode concert, wearing shower shoes (sans socks) on the range.

Did he want you to pick up the receiver and he'd make you a believer? Was he your own personal jesus?

;)

NickA
08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Did he want you to pick up the receiver and he'd make you a believer? Was he your own personal jesus?

;)

Well played.

will_1400
08-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Here's a couple.

"Don't drop the slide on an empty chamber. You'll damage the gun."

Right. Like dropping the slide on a SIG SP2022 9mm is going to be more stressful than shooting it.

"This is just like an HK but much cheaper." Said about the Hi-Point. Before I could stop myself I called bull. Other guy's answer is that the VP70 used the same direct blowback action as a Hi Point and that Hi Point pulled it off at a fraction of the cost.

I left before I started losing IQ points. It's almost a shame. That place had three Colt Diamondbacks and an Official Police for sale...

JV_
08-20-2011, 05:38 AM
"Don't drop the slide on an empty chamber. You'll damage the gun."

Right. Like dropping the slide on a SIG SP2022 9mm is going to be more stressful than shooting it.

Wilson Combat recommends against this for their 1911 guns, so do other 1911 manufacturers, but I can't recall which ones.

JAD
08-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Wilson Combat recommends against this for their 1911 guns, so do other 1911 manufacturers, but I can't recall which ones.

Pretty much all of them. It bounces the sear and will round it. AFAIK it's unique to 1911s.

will_1400
08-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Huh. I stand corrected on that one.

John Ralston
08-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Yup... Chambering a round slows the slide velocity and you don't have issues. Slamming it home empty causes undue wear and tear on a 1911.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

gringop
08-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Yup... Chambering a round slows the slide velocity and you don't have issues. Slamming it home empty causes undue wear and tear on a 1911.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Just do like the old bullseye guys and hold the trigger back while dropping the slide...:p

Gringop

will_1400
08-20-2011, 08:14 PM
That last one just sounds like an ND waiting to happen...

JAD
08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
That last one just sounds like an ND waiting to happen...
Actually, it's an ND that's happened a lot. I close empty 1911s infrequently, but when it comes up I ease them forward. When I'm dry-firing and I want to simulate reset, I obviously hold the trigger back.