PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs forward grip and transitioning between 1911s and Glocks.

HopetonBrown
01-27-2015, 04:41 AM
I shot 1911s exclusively until late 2013 when I started to dabble in 9mm Glocks, and now almost exclusively shoot Glocks except for when I shoot CDP.

Thumbs forward grip works awesome on 1911s, but I sometimes have a failure to lock back on the last round because my thumb is holding down the slide stop lever on Glocks and my PPQ.

I don't think I'm smart enough to remember to do thumbs forward when shooting 1911s in CDP, and keeping my dominant thumb out of the way when shooting SSP (Glock, PPQ).

Apart from just sticking with one, any pointers?

Leroy
01-27-2015, 05:24 AM
I have littl 1911 experience, but years ago I changed my grip so my thumbs do not touch the gun. This also helps my sights track straight up and down during recoil which is my preference.

JHC
01-27-2015, 07:38 AM
On your 1911 your thumb isn't lightly resting on the safety, it's pressing it down pretty hard right? Part of an overall hard grip to control recoil. Point it high the same way with the Glock and press it down hard on the back of the weak hand thumb which in the thumbs high grip should be right up in that vicinity. See what you think.
my $0.02

edit: in the '80's when I was all 1911 I shot it thumbs locked down. Only in the last few years after at least 15 pure Glock with thumbs high did I try the thumb on safety with the 1911. So I was sort of transitioning the other way. In a discussion with Hackathorn about this he observed that he thought the high thumbs on Glocks and 1911 (safety) were sort of complimentary.

oldtexan
01-27-2015, 09:32 AM
I shoot with a thumbs forward grip with lots of contact between my support hand and the side of the frame, and thus will frequently unintentionally hold down an unmodified slide stop lever on a Glock. I, like some other folks, trim some material off the rear of the exposed area of the slide stop lever, which fixes the problem for me. No undesirable characteristics have resulted, after thousands of rds through the modified Glocks. I can still use the slide stop lever as a slide release despite the contact area being smaller than stock.

Wendell
01-27-2015, 02:56 PM
The Ghost slide stop depicted in this (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8563-D-amp-L-Cominolli-Glock-Safety) thread might be right up your alley.

Talionis
01-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Hard to say exactly what the issue is without seeing your grip, but I too shoot 1911's and Glocks (19 and 34) and experienced somewhat similar problems with the Glocks. In my case, I had a very high support hand grip that was actually forcing the extended slide stop on the G34 up and inducing premature slide lock with regularity. I had nearly the inverse problem with my G19 where my grip would prevent the slide stop from engaging. My solution was to simply swap the two slide stops. The regular slide stop lever worked great on the G34, placing the slide stop lever enough in the gap between the knuckles of my thumb that I never had another premature slide lock. The extended stop on the G19 had a similar effect, although to be honest, I'm not completely sure why that actually worked.

It may not work for you, but it's something to play around with before you go trying to drastically change your grip between guns.

Artemas
01-27-2015, 05:12 PM
I cross my weapon hand thumb over the meaty part of the support hand thumb. Not sure where I picked that up from, but it seems to work for just about everything I shoot.

45dotACP
01-27-2015, 11:38 PM
I cross my weapon hand thumb over the meaty part of the support hand thumb. Not sure where I picked that up from, but it seems to work for just about everything I shoot.
Ditto. Works like a charm for me. Unless I have a thumb rest like the 1911 gives me. It has made me consider a M&P with a safety sometimes.

breakingtime91
01-28-2015, 12:21 AM
I put my dominant thumb on my support hand. I started doing this after seeing kyle defoor shoot

GJM
01-28-2015, 07:16 AM
I put my dominant thumb on my support hand. I started doing this after seeing kyle defoor shoot

I learned this from the person who started this forum -- and it is near mandatory if you shoot a Sig or HK and want the slide to lock back.

breakingtime91
01-28-2015, 08:48 AM
I learned this from the person who started this forum -- and it is near mandatory if you shoot a Sig or HK and want the slide to lock back.

Nice, that is what defoor said also. Do you use this thumb placement across the board or just with sig/hk?