PDA

View Full Version : Back into .45s

jetfire
01-26-2015, 06:24 PM
I was inspired by our favorite crotchety engineer getting back into 1911s, so I decided to get back into an old passion of mine: proper single action .45s. But chambered in God's True Cartridge, .45 Colt as designed by his servant Samuel.

Here's the first one. It's pretty basic, just a 4.75 inch Vaquero in stainless. Will shoot tomorrow. I also ordered a Blackhawk, but it showed up from the factory with...issues, so it's going back to New Hampster for some TLC.

Dagga Boy
01-26-2015, 08:20 PM
It is scary how many vices we share. I love my single action .45 Colts, most of which are Ruger's. Great stuff.

Hambo
01-26-2015, 08:40 PM
But chambered in God's True Cartridge, .45 Colt as designed by his servant Samuel.

Using heel bullets over 40gr of black powder? ;) Sweet looking revolver and rig. I've got a bunch of .45 Colt ammo but no pistol, a situation that will have to be rectified at some point.

jetfire
01-26-2015, 10:55 PM
It is scary how many vices we share. I love my single action .45 Colts, most of which are Ruger's. Great stuff.

Ginger women, brown liquor and large caliber revolvers aren't vices, they're signs of an educated intellect and good morals. :D

RevolverRob
01-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Ginger women, brown liquor and large caliber revolvers aren't vices, they're signs of an educated intellect and good morals. :D

So what's your excuse? ;)

PS: Nice pistola. When are you getting the engraving done?

PPS: Who made the rig?

jetfire
01-27-2015, 01:21 AM
So what's your excuse? ;)

PS: Nice pistola. When are you getting the engraving done?

PPS: Who made the rig?

Rig is pretty simple, it's a Triple K and you can get it from Midway. It's not fine leather but it really scratches that Silverado itch.

LHS
01-27-2015, 01:51 AM
Rig is pretty simple, it's a Triple K and you can get it from Midway. It's not fine leather but it really scratches that Silverado itch.

Is there anything along those lines that fits the older, larger-framed Vaqueros? I don't use the thing enough to go to, say, El Paso Saddlery or anything, but I'd like something that actually fits the big hog.

Totem Polar
01-27-2015, 02:45 AM
Love it, Caleb.

Trooper224
01-27-2015, 03:46 AM
Nothin' like a fine thumb buster.
http://m2.i.pbase.com/g3/64/521964/2/87930602.I63rsNp1.jpg

BLR
01-27-2015, 05:55 AM

That is holy gospel right there.

GardoneVT
01-27-2015, 07:17 AM
Bravo!

LittleLebowski
01-27-2015, 07:29 AM

You guys look alike as well.

Dagga Boy
01-27-2015, 07:53 AM
You guys look alike as well.

The scary thing is I bet we have the same inseam length.....:cool:

1986s4
01-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Trooper 224,
I don't mean to derail your thread but I really like your '73 carbine/rifle in the picture. What kind/make is it? I'm not a cowboy action guy nor do I own a ranch but does the '73 have a practical side? Just looking for a good excuse to get one....

Trooper224
01-27-2015, 08:55 AM
Trooper 224,
I don't mean to derail your thread but I really like your '73 carbine/rifle in the picture. What kind/make is it? I'm not a cowboy action guy nor do I own a ranch but does the '73 have a practical side? Just looking for a good excuse to get one....

It's a 24" Uberti in .45 Colt, that I've owned for about twenty years. Practical? Well, it makes a good rifle for Whitetail Deer, Coyotes and the like. It's one of those I bought just 'cause I'd always wanted one and if you've got a Colt SAA you've got to have a lever action rifle to go with it. I'm sure that's a rule somewhere.

jetfire
01-27-2015, 11:01 AM
It's a 24" Uberti in .45 Colt, that I've owned for about twenty years. Practical? Well, it makes a good rifle for Whitetail Deer, Coyotes and the like. It's one of those I bought just 'cause I'd always wanted one and if you've got a Colt SAA you've got to have a lever action rifle to go with it. I'm sure that's a rule somewhere.

I'm not saying that I'm pricing out saddle ring carbines right now...but uh...

jetfire
01-27-2015, 11:02 AM
The scary thing is I bet we have the same inseam length.....:cool:

If you add the two of us together you get one Steve Fisher.

45dotACP
01-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Nothin' like a fine thumb buster.
http://m2.i.pbase.com/g3/64/521964/2/87930602.I63rsNp1.jpg

I'll be in my bunk

Trooper224
01-27-2015, 06:24 PM
I'll be in my bunk

Just in case you need a reach around.
http://m3.i.pbase.com/g3/64/521964/2/87930533.D0o8hbQ3.jpg

LSP552
01-27-2015, 06:35 PM
One of the guns I most enjoy shooting is a 20 yr. old short Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. I have a sad remembering unlimited access to .45 ACP…….

I also have a couple of Colt New Frontiers (5 1/2 and 7 1/2) but they are in .44 Special. I will probably burn in hell for saying this, but I enjoy shooting the Blackhawk more.

LSP552
01-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Nice old school Trooper224!

Trooper224
01-27-2015, 06:40 PM
I also have a couple of Colt New Frontiers (5 1/2 and 7 1/2) but they are in .44 Special. I will probably burn in hell for saying this, but I enjoy shooting the Blackhawk more.

:eek:

Turn in your man card Nancy!

Trooper224
01-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Nice old school Trooper224!

Thanks. Back when we were all still men and had a sense of humor, I showed up at range qual wearing that rig with my uniform instead of my Sam Browne. Today I'd probably get a day or two suspension.

Malamute
01-27-2015, 06:50 PM
I like 45 Colt single actions quite a lot. I have a couple Rugers I butchered up.

Early type Vaquero with a few modifications,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_1064.jpg

Older Blackhawk, made into a flat top and otherwise buggered up fairly extensively,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_5857_zps2fe24328.jpg

Current favorite carry rig,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_5853_zps0a359f5f.jpg

Have a rifle in the same caliber, but have to say, I wish it were a 44. The chambers are pretty sloppy in most 45 rifles.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_2871.jpg

I do have a Colt, but its not a 45 Colt,...or an SAA.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_1732.jpg

TR675
01-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Malamute has the best stuff.

jetfire
01-27-2015, 07:42 PM
I like 45 Colt single actions quite a lot. I have a couple Rugers I butchered up.

Early type Vaquero with a few modifications,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_1064.jpg

Older Blackhawk, made into a flat top and otherwise buggered up fairly extensively,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_5857_zps2fe24328.jpg

Jesus...I'll be in my bunk.

serialsolver
01-27-2015, 08:28 PM
Can I play, this is my little big bore after 50 rds of some black substitute with a improvised ejector.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/serialsolver/dirtyguns001.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/serialsolver/media/dirtyguns001.jpg.html)

I wanted to drop some of its weight so I put an aluminum grip frame on it. This is what it looks like now.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/serialsolver/IMG_0554_zps722fa552.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/serialsolver/media/IMG_0554_zps722fa552.jpg.html)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetfire
01-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Shot the new Vaquero today.

140 rounds, 100 of which were cowboy loads, 20 were Hornady Critical Defense and the last 20 were Winchester PDX 225 grain bonded JHP.

Shoots to the sights with 250 grain cowboy loads, about an inch low with the PDX, and miles low with the 185 grain Critical Defense.

jetfire
01-28-2015, 01:12 PM

It shoots pretty decent. That's about 1.2ish inches, off a rest at 15ish yards. With the sights as they are, I don't think I can do much better than that.

Jeep
01-28-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm thinking that you probably don't need to do better than that.

jetfire
01-28-2015, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking that you probably don't need to do better than that.

That's probably true, but what that tells me is that there's a sub-inch gun hiding in there somewhere, and it just needs to be coaxed out. I think if I switched up to a HBWC and blacked out the front sight post I could clean that up by a quarter inch or so. The big problem I have with shooting the gun accurately is all the light that shines off that stainless finish makes picking up the front sight a little harder than I'd like.

Jeep
01-28-2015, 06:26 PM
That's probably true, but what that tells me is that there's a sub-inch gun hiding in there somewhere, and it just needs to be coaxed out. I think if I switched up to a HBWC and blacked out the front sight post I could clean that up by a quarter inch or so. The big problem I have with shooting the gun accurately is all the light that shines off that stainless finish makes picking up the front sight a little harder than I'd like.

Yep--the standard curse of stainless guns without good sights. You might find that blackening the sight groove itself will create enough contrast; for my eyes blackening the post helps a bit but generally not enough. Anyway, if you find a good solution I'd be eager to hear about it.

Malamute
01-28-2015, 06:29 PM
I think mine are going to get the orange fingernail polish treatment for the fronts. With some holster wear, the front on the Vaquero pretty well disappears at about dusk. If I had stainless guns, I'd think about blackening around the rear. Maybe black fingernail polish?

JHC
01-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Malamute has the best stuff.

He does. I'm trying to wear the finish on my 1911 with draws to get to something glorious like those. Forget the Glocks. They won't wear.

Malamute
01-28-2015, 06:50 PM
He does. I'm trying to wear the finish on my 1911 with draws to get to something glorious like those. Forget the Glocks. They won't wear.

My g-19 is getting some wear. Sort of general thinning more than edge wear. The grip section is holding its color well though. :D

I can send you a box of dirt to put in your holsters. Once it gets this fine dust/dirt in them, the wear starts at a scary rate. My old 29 isnt the only gun I have that looks ancient. Several years in Az and 25 or so in the northern Rockies in extremely dusty areas is really hard on gun finished used in leather holsters. Most of my guns end up living in their holsters when they arent used.

JHC
01-28-2015, 07:09 PM
My g-19 is getting some wear. Sort of general thinning more than edge wear. The grip section is holding its color well though. :D

I can send you a box of dirt to put in your holsters. Once it gets this fine dust/dirt in them, the wear starts at a scary rate. My old 29 isnt the only gun I have that looks ancient. Several years in Az and 25 or so in the northern Rockies in extremely dusty areas is really hard on gun finished used in leather holsters. Most of my guns end up living in their holsters when they arent used.

Glocks I've worn in kydex EDC for years show nil wear with no telling how many draws on the range too. Bums me out. Nothing wears proper like leather though.

Oh oh Malamute, btw I took your advice and put a Lyman peep on my 16" barrel Model 94 and saints be praised I'm now 3" for 5 at 100 yards with it. I'm thrilled. Thank you.

Malamute
01-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Glocks I've worn in kydex EDC for years show nil wear with no telling how many draws on the range too. Bums me out. Nothing wears proper like leather though.

Oh oh Malamute, btw I took your advice and put a Lyman peep on my 16" barrel Model 94 and saints be praised I'm now 3" for 5 at 100 yards with it. I'm thrilled. Thank you.

Glad to hear it. Good sights sure help get the guns to shoot more to their potential.

I dont have a leather holster for the glock. I have a couple kydex I use some, a semi new safariland belt holster I use some (some sort of synthetic material), and a factory cheap plastic one, which it mostly lives in when in the truck or if I take it in a day pack. I've mostly carried it in my back pocket when tooling around home and the yard or going for short walks in relatively bear free areas. The slide is getting a little thin looking finish wise. I think it was in pretty good shape when I bought it in about '05-ish.

David Armstrong
01-29-2015, 10:29 AM
One of the guns I most enjoy shooting is a 20 yr. old short Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. I have a sad remembering unlimited access to .45 ACP…….

My Vaquero is the older version, also in the 45 Colt/45ACP convertible version. Due to the supply situation ( a closet full of 45 ACP) it has only had a couple of cylinders of 45 Colt cowby loads run through it. I carry it in a repro "cavalry "twist" flap holster. Great fun!

SamAdams
01-30-2015, 08:16 AM
@Trooper224 - love that USFA in the photo. I'd wanted to pick up their SAA Pre War, but before I had the chance they were out of the business. I do feel fortunate that I got a plain Jane version Rodeo as a shooter before then, before prices shot up. Incredible workmanship, especially for the money.

Trooper224
01-30-2015, 01:03 PM
@Trooper224 - love that USFA in the photo. I'd wanted to pick up their SAA Pre War, but before I had the chance they were out of the business. I do feel fortunate that I got a plain Jane version Rodeo as a shooter before then, before prices shot up. Incredible workmanship, especially for the money.

I agree. The USFA has moved on and sometimes I wish I had it back, given the limited possibility of finding another. Still, it was one of those that sat in the safe and got shot once in a blue moon, so I traded it off on something I shoot on a regular basis. Priorities and all that. The Colt and the Spaghettichester are still here though. :D

Malamute
01-30-2015, 01:33 PM
^ ^ I miss the Colts I had. If I had one, I'd carry it.

I keep thinking about doing a New Frontier up with a Flat Top Target style front sight, and either eagle or some highly figured one piece wood grips. Not sure if it would be a 44 spl or 45. Most of the 45's come with pretty sloppy chambers and variable throats.

Something to dream about anyways.

Trooper224
01-30-2015, 02:19 PM
I'd love a New Frontier, too bad prices on them are in the completely ridiculous range as with any out of production Colt. This particular SAA was made in 1977 and has some of the issues associated with that era: a little endshake, two of the chamber throats are bored out slightly larger than the other four. Surprisingly though, it's a tack driver and shoots to point of aim. I've killed coyotes with it at a hundred yards. It's as smooth as butter too, so I've never felt the need to have it worked on. Those nickel plated sights are a challenge in broad daylight though. My days of heavy fascination with Old West firearms are behind me, but I keep the Colt and the Spaghettichester around for when I get the itch. Still have a hankering for a Sharps though, and one of those 1876 Winchester copies would stir the juices.

NEPAKevin
01-30-2015, 02:41 PM
Something to dream about anyways.

My fantasy gun would be to find the pawn shop from the Miami Vice episode where Willie Nelson's character sold one of his Peacemakers to finance hunting the killers of his late partner's son.

http://youtu.be/ql1TiG7413g

http://youtu.be/Azmq_tmwWpc

Malamute
01-30-2015, 04:49 PM
I think they are making New Frontiers again.

I had a 4 3/4" nickel 44 spl I carried a bit in Az years ago (early-mid 80's). Yeah, the sights could be challenging in some conditions. I had some others, a 7 1/2" nickel 44, and a couple 12" Buntline 45's. The 12" guns seemed to shoot themselves, they were pretty easy to hit with. I know some of the guns of that period had some problems, mine seemed OK, though I didnt know as much overall about them at the time. Nobody I knew was talking about chamber throats and things of that sort.

I enjoy the history of the old stuff. Much of it is still pretty useful as working guns (outdoors general purpose/working) in many areas. I carry a rifle caliber lever action and revolver of some sort more than anything else, though the most likely use is critters. I'm not stuck on them in particular, modern guns are great in many ways, though for simple enjoyment of shooting and just handling, the old stuff is way more interesting to me.

Trooper224
01-30-2015, 05:34 PM
I'm not stuck on them in particular, modern guns are great in many ways, though for simple enjoyment of shooting and just handling, the old stuff is way more interesting to me.

I'm with you all the way.

SamAdams
01-31-2015, 06:00 PM
Malamute: " Much of it is still pretty useful as working guns (outdoors general purpose/working) in many areas. "

I agree with you 100% on that point. I sometimes like to carry my USFA 45 colt with 4 3/4" barrel in a Mernickel high rise holster while out & about on our place in the country. Great handling, points naturally (beating just about everything else - at least for me). And, if you actually have to shoot it in an emergency situation with no time to put on hearing protection, it doesn't blast your ear drums. Combine that with a big ole lead slug doing 900 fps or so, and there's a lot to like.

Thankfully, I bought a few single action guns in the past & can enjoy them now. Prices on some of them, especially the old Colts (and even a few of the USFAs) are too high for me to justify in terms of being 'practical' today. That said, the plastic guns are just tools. The old guns I enjoy.

JHC
02-06-2015, 07:59 AM
"All this love talk . . . " (from "Wild Bill")

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a .45 Vaquero. Leaning high gloss SS but 4 5/8 or 5 1/2" is one unresolved choice.

If one does not get a "convertible" package with the ACP I thought Ruger used to sell them individually. Can't find sign of that on their web page though.

I've never owned a SA revolver I'm embarrassed to say.

LSP972
02-06-2015, 09:07 AM
I've never owned a SA revolver I'm embarrassed to say.

I was in the same boat; almost 50 years of handling/shooting/admiring guns, and never owned a single-action Peacemaker-type revolver. I didn't feel embarassed, but figured I was missing something. A range session with LSP552 and another old comrade, both of whom were shooting their Peacemakers, convinced me that I needed to try one.

Shortly thereafter, I ran across a Vaquero in .45ACP, with a 3.5" barrel and birdshead grip frame. It felt good, the caliber was right (I got plenty of .45 Auto burrets, so need to re-tool for yet another cartridge), so I bought it.

The result was rather anti-climatic. Dunno, perhaps my soul is missing the Peacemaker genome or something, but I simply could not get excited over the thing. Too many years of concentrating on work (service type) guns, maybe? Being restricted by policy as to what you can carry during your day-to-day business certainly does dim one's horizons… I dabbled with 1911s here and there, but otherwise toed the company line. And that (sticking with service-type weapons) mind-set has stayed with me in retirement.

Now that I think about it, I have to wonder… am I sub-consciously afraid to leave my "comfort zone"? Did I follow an institutional mind-set too long to change? Am I simply dull-witted???

What I find really bizarre about this is, it only applies to pistols. I shoot my AR carbines only enough to "stay current", but thoroughly enjoy my other non-service-type shoulder guns. Several trap shotguns (which aren't much good for anything but that game, due to way they are set up), a Garand, and a couple of non-traditional .22 rifles.

That Vaquero, OTOH, pretty much left me cold. Its traded away now. Aside from the occasional use of a S&W M-41 set up for bullseye, and my two 1911s, all I take to pistol practice is my HKs and J frames… which I carry every day.

Hope your foray into retro/whatever works out better for you. I still feel like I'm missing something.

Jeep
02-06-2015, 09:45 AM
I was in the same boat; almost 50 years of handling/shooting/admiring guns, and never owned a single-action Peacemaker-type revolver. I didn't feel embarassed, but figured I was missing something. A range session with LSP552 and another old comrade, both of whom were shooting their Peacemakers, convinced me that I needed to try one.

Shortly thereafter, I ran across a Vaquero in .45ACP, with a 3.5" barrel and birdshead grip frame. It felt good, the caliber was right (I got plenty of .45 Auto burrets, so need to re-tool for yet another cartridge), so I bought it.

The result was rather anti-climatic. Dunno, perhaps my soul is missing the Peacemaker genome or something, but I simply could not get excited over the thing. Too many years of concentrating on work (service type) guns, maybe? Being restricted by policy as to what you can carry during your day-to-day business certainly does dim one's horizons… I dabbled with 1911s here and there, but otherwise toed the company line. And that (sticking with service-type weapons) mind-set has stayed with me in retirement.

Now that I think about it, I have to wonder… am I sub-consciously afraid to leave my "comfort zone"? Did I follow an institutional mind-set too long to change? Am I simply dull-witted???

What I find really bizarre about this is, it only applies to pistols. I shoot my AR carbines only enough to "stay current", but thoroughly enjoy my other non-service-type shoulder guns. Several trap shotguns (which aren't much good for anything but that game, due to way they are set up), a Garand, and a couple of non-traditional .22 rifles.

That Vaquero, OTOH, pretty much left me cold. Its traded away now. Aside from the occasional use of a S&W M-41 set up for bullseye, and my two 1911s, all I take to pistol practice is my HKs and J frames… which I carry every day.

Hope your foray into retro/whatever works out better for you. I still feel like I'm missing something.

My soul must be missing the Peacemaker gene as well. I have several .45 auto double actions, and would love to have .45 Colt and .44 special, double actions, but have no interest in single actions for some reason. No doubt it is a defect, but it does allow me to put money elsewhere.

JHC
02-06-2015, 10:10 AM
YES! to Jeep and 972 - that's the sort of gut feel that's kept me from tying up a guns worth of money in one for decades. Then especially since getting deep into the PF approach I'm obsessive drilling with my service type pistols and like the eating disorder sufferer who can't oblige a single desert; I fret for "losing" the range time to horseplay vs shooting a 99 Drill. ;)

But I ain't gettin' any younger so I think I'll give one a try. Hard to say how it goes. I'm an odd duck; passionately fond of my Glocks and all.

I'm kinda rationalizing that one will be shot almost exclusively duelist and enhance my SHO shooting. It could happen.

Jeep
02-06-2015, 01:15 PM
YES! to Jeep and 972 - that's the sort of gut feel that's kept me from tying up a guns worth of money in one for decades. Then especially since getting deep into the PF approach I'm obsessive drilling with my service type pistols and like the eating disorder sufferer who can't oblige a single desert; I fret for "losing" the range time to horseplay vs shooting a 99 Drill. ;)

But I ain't gettin' any younger so I think I'll give one a try. Hard to say how it goes. I'm an odd duck; passionately fond of my Glocks and all.

I'm kinda rationalizing that one will be shot almost exclusively duelist and enhance my SHO shooting. It could happen.

The "not getting younger" thing recently led me to get one of those Wilson/Beretta Brigadier Tacticals (with an action job). Amazingly accurate pistol, which I like a lot. However, truth be known . . . I probably prefer 9 mm Glocks (and I really do like the Brigadier Tactical).

So, overall, I probably have a soul that is defective in multiple ways. I'm glad I got the Brig Tact, though.

Trooper224
02-06-2015, 01:48 PM
http://fcdn.roadbikereview.com/attachments/lounge/293574d1395773037-ive-read-lot-threads-here-degenerate-bickering-lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg

RevolverRob
02-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Life is too short to drive a boring car, carry and shoot boring guns, or hang out with boring people...

Or as the motto from the movie Up! Goes - Adventure is out there!

Malamute
02-06-2015, 02:48 PM

The result was rather anti-climatic. Dunno, perhaps my soul is missing the Peacemaker genome or something, but I simply could not get excited over the thing.

It may just be individual preference and experience, though I had the same feeling shooting 45 auto in an SA revolver, and I never cared for the birdshead grips. My feelings may be more related to extensive experience with regular SA grips, though the flair at the rear of the regular grips gives an index point for the heel of the hand to get back on the grip when cocking them one handed.

I've had a couple Ruger SA's that were 45 auto. One only had the acp cylinder, it shot spectacularly well. I sold it for some reason ages ago. Have a spare cylinder for another, after intially shooting it a bit, I keep it for travel, as acp ammo is easier to find. Otherwise it goes unused.

I dont know if its a traditionalist mindset, but the original configuration of the older guns (Colts in particular) interest me more, and seem more fun to shoot. I also shoot them better than I can a 1911, as far as shooting speed on plates and accuracy (or "hitability"?) not to mention distance shooting. If given the unlikely option of having an engraved (real hand engraved, not electro etched) Colt SAA or New Frontier, and never being able to have a self loader in hand again, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

I may be more particular than most, but the factory grips on Ruger SA's have rarely felt goof. The fit to the grip frame, and the shape and squarish edges dont feel good to me. Some reshaping of factory Ruger grips helps, but the grips I've made have felt better. To fit best, they need to be worked down while on the gun, meaning the metal needs to be refinished afterwards. There seems to be a common tendency to make square edges behind the grip frame right behind the trigger, which feels funny to me. Seriously rounding and contouring that area out like older Colts feels best to me. Different strokes,....

LSP972
02-06-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm an odd duck; passionately fond of my Glocks and all.

Then you should thoroughly enjoy that Vaquero.

Just about anything else is exciting, compared to a Disposa-Gun…;)

LSP972
02-06-2015, 04:36 PM
It may just be individual preference and experience, though I had the same feeling shooting 45 auto in an SA revolver, and I never cared for the birdshead grips.

I hear you… but that's not it with me. I have been privileged to shoot several genuine Colt SAA's, in "genuine" calibers. and the reaction was the same… meh.

23JAZ
02-06-2015, 04:38 PM
AMEN!

JHC
02-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Then you should thoroughly enjoy that Vaquero.

Just about anything else is exciting, compared to a Disposa-Gun…;)

Oh ooh but you just don't know. They . . .understand me.

Malamute
02-06-2015, 06:21 PM
I hear you… but that's not it with me. I have been privileged to shoot several genuine Colt SAA's, in "genuine" calibers. and the reaction was the same… meh.

Yeah, it just may not work with you. Oh well.

I started out on two single action 22's (at 11), then went to a Ruger 357 (12-13) then a 44 mag super (14). I like the Rugers quite a lot, but when I get true Colt in hand, they just make me smile.

I met a lady at a cowboy shoot once, she had a well tuned Colt in 357. Her husband loaded tons of ammo for her. I asked to look at her gun, it was a 4 3/4" blue/color cased with one piece Ivory grips (or good simulated). She gave me a 100 rd box and said to go ahead and shoot it, all of it if I wanted to. It was one of those times I didnt want to stop and was bummed when the ammo was gone. Very slick and nice shooting gun. I rarely get that with more modern guns. The Smith K-22 does it though.

...and oddly, a 20" AR on our shooting spot where I can shoot at the 300 and 600 yard plates and plink out to about 1000 yards. I miss my old Colt H-bar.

JHC
02-06-2015, 06:35 PM
I guess a real Colt can be had for about $1300. Can you expound on how it exceeds a $400 Ruger?

Malamute
02-06-2015, 06:59 PM
I guess a real Colt can be had for about $1300. Can you expound on how it exceeds a $400 Ruger?

I dont know if I can answer for anyone else, or if it means anything to anyone else.

They feel different. In the hand, the weight, the grip shape, (the eagle checkered hard rubber grips in particular for me), the way the action functions. I like the history, and I like the looks. The USFA's didnt do it for me, they were copies. Very good guns, but just not the same. Ubertis are pretty good guns, but not the same.

Other than that, I got nothing.

Subtle differences in single action revolvers catch my attention, I think most arent that interested.

Many love new vehicles, how they perform, what they can do, what features they have, how much they cost. I buy 10 year old vehicles in decent shape, that do what I need to do. I like them, but dont get into subtle differences at all, nor do I want to add "stuff" to make them look different, get special offroad tires, alter the suspension, gear ratios, blah blah blah, to let them go all sorts of places I cant go. Many truly enjoy doing all that. They are just a vehicle to me. If I cant buy it for $5-$8K, I'm not very interested, as I can get what works in that price range. I just dont value vehicles any more than that. I get what works for me, and go on. I think guns are like that for many, or they may be into the various minute diffrences in sights, rails, triggers, magazines, etc in certain models, and other types or models are sort of meh. Look at the Beretta threads, or BHP, or what sights people use, or how they set up their carbines. Many can tell the difference, many just cant, or arent that into it. I'm just stuck noticing single actions in that way, most of the rest of it is sort of a blur to me. :D

JHC
02-06-2015, 07:45 PM
I dont know if I can answer for anyone else, or if it means anything to anyone else.

They feel different. In the hand, the weight, the grip shape, (the eagle checkered hard rubber grips in particular for me), the way the action functions. I like the history, and I like the looks. The USFA's didnt do it for me, they were copies. Very good guns, but just not the same. Ubertis are pretty good guns, but not the same.

Other than that, I got nothing.

Subtle differences in single action revolvers catch my attention, I think most arent that interested.

Many love new vehicles, how they perform, what they can do, what features they have, how much they cost. I buy 10 year old vehicles in decent shape, that do what I need to do. I like them, but dont get into subtle differences at all, nor do I want to add "stuff" to make them look different, get special offroad tires, alter the suspension, gear ratios, blah blah blah, to let them go all sorts of places I cant go. Many truly enjoy doing all that. They are just a vehicle to me. If I cant buy it for $5-$8K, I'm not very interested, as I can get what works in that price range. I just dont value vehicles any more than that. I get what works for me, and go on. I think guns are like that for many, or they may be into the various minute diffrences in sights, rails, triggers, magazines, etc in certain models, and other types or models are sort of meh. Look at the Beretta threads, or BHP, or what sights people use, or how they set up their carbines. Many can tell the difference, many just cant, or arent that into it. I'm just stuck noticing single actions in that way, most of the rest of it is sort of a blur to me. :D

I can't say I'll be the same; but I get it. Sounds like Papa Thorson. ;)

LSP972
02-06-2015, 09:39 PM
The "not getting younger" thing recently led me to get one of those Wilson/Beretta Brigadier Tacticals (with an action job). Amazingly accurate pistol, which I like a lot. However, truth be known . . . I probably prefer 9 mm Glocks (and I really do like the Brigadier Tactical).

So, overall, I probably have a soul that is defective in multiple ways. I'm glad I got the Brig Tact, though.

I debated with myself for DAYS over whether or not to get one of those. Its the same argument I had with myself when I was offered a very nice Sig P210-2 at a very reasonable price. I ended up passing on both (the $100+ per spare magazine tipped the scales against the Sig)… perhaps because I feel practically nothing toward the last big-buck toy I bought (an Ed Brown Special Forces). I look at that beautiful thing and ask myself "What is WRONG with you??? It doesn't get any better than this!" Of course, it only works with ball ammunition, but who's picking nits?;)

Anyway… I'll see your defective soul and raise you one apathetic sense of appreciation.

However, I would never admit to preferring Glocks. One has standards to maintain, you see…:D

LSP552
02-07-2015, 12:07 AM

I have 2 Colt New Frontiers ( 71/2 and 5 1/2) in .44 Special and a 4 3/4 Ruger Blackhawk.45 Colt/ACP convertible. The Colts are 3rd gen from the late 1970s. The 5 1/2 is a bit sloppy in fit but the 7 1/2 is premo with ivory stocks. Many folks don't really consider the New Frontier a "real" Colt but I prefer them to the Peacemaker.

The Ruger isn't finished new as nice as the Colts but it's a tank. I actually enjoy shooting the Ruger more but like handling the Colts, if that makes any sense. And I'm fine with using the ACP cylinder, especially when I had unlimited access to .45 ACP.

I find the adjustable sights on the Blackhawk easier for my old eyes. The front ramp on the NFs are shiny, polished blue, and the sight picture is tight for my old eyes. The NFs are classic but the Blackhawk gets more play time.

jetfire
02-07-2015, 12:21 AM

A modern, bog-stock Ford Focus, not even one of the fun ones, would drive circles around a Ferarri 250 California. But you get the Ferarri, assuming you have the means, because it is a beautiful thing to have, it's a thing that exists to remind people of beauty, craftsmanship, and romance.

It's the same with a Vaquero vs a Colt. I love my Rugers, they are great, solid guns that will last multiple lifetimes of shooting. But the Colt - that's a think to have simply because it exists. Not everyone feels this way, and that's fine. But some people do, and that's good enough for me.

warpedcamshaft
02-07-2015, 03:25 AM
A modern, bog-stock Ford Focus, not even one of the fun ones, would drive circles around a Ferarri 250 California. But you get the Ferarri, assuming you have the means, because it is a beautiful thing to have, it's a thing that exists to remind people of beauty, craftsmanship, and romance.

It's the same with a Vaquero vs a Colt. I love my Rugers, they are great, solid guns that will last multiple lifetimes of shooting. But the Colt - that's a think to have simply because it exists. Not everyone feels this way, and that's fine. But some people do, and that's good enough for me.

Very well put... it's almost like you are a writer or something...

warpedcamshaft
02-07-2015, 03:29 AM

Does this feeling apply to all generations of Colt mfg. SAA's for you?

JHC
02-07-2015, 10:35 AM

I've gotten so absorbed into the Borg of polymer striker guns that most all metal guns start to have that effect on me. ;)

Does Ruger still sell convertible .45 acp cylinders individually? I seem to recall they used to.

Jeep
02-07-2015, 01:55 PM
I debated with myself for DAYS over whether or not to get one of those. Its the same argument I had with myself when I was offered a very nice Sig P210-2 at a very reasonable price. I ended up passing on both (the $100+ per spare magazine tipped the scales against the Sig)… perhaps because I feel practically nothing toward the last big-buck toy I bought (an Ed Brown Special Forces). I look at that beautiful thing and ask myself "What is WRONG with you??? It doesn't get any better than this!" Of course, it only works with ball ammunition, but who's picking nits?;)

Anyway… I'll see your defective soul and raise you one apathetic sense of appreciation.

However, I would never admit to preferring Glocks. One has standards to maintain, you see…:D

It clearly is a sickness. I started off decades ago as a confirmed 1911/BHP/Smith revolver guy, and now I find myself shooting Glocks even in preference to N and K frames.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to blame Obama for all this, though my guess is that he would think that Glocks are even more evil that Smith revolvers.

Dagga Boy
02-07-2015, 06:28 PM
There is a big difference between "what I shoot" and "what I like". Liking guns again has been good for my soul.

Trooper224
02-07-2015, 08:02 PM
A lot of folks around here take this stuff F-A-R too seriously, as if shooting a pistol is akin to launching a rocketship to Mars and the simple act of touching anything not striker fired and made of polymer (or at least carried in a Kydex holster) will turn you into a pogue. It might do a lot of you some good to spend an afternoon on the range with some single actions and a wood stocked lever rifle.

jetfire
02-07-2015, 09:40 PM
There is a big difference between "what I shoot" and "what I like". Liking guns again has been good for my soul.

Amen. Realizing this has allowed me to enjoy shooting again.

JHC
02-07-2015, 10:07 PM
A lot of folks around here take this stuff F-A-R too seriously, as if shooting a pistol is akin to launching a rocketship to Mars and the simple act of touching anything not striker fired and made of polymer (or at least carried in a Kydex holster) will turn you into a pogue. It might do a lot of you some good to spend an afternoon on the range with some single actions and a wood stocked lever rifle.

What makes you say that? Seen the threads on the Win 94, field revolvers, passion for the gun and this very thread?

Malamute
02-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Does this feeling apply to all generations of Colt mfg. SAA's for you?

Yes. Some of the factory checkered hard rubber grips on some second gen guns I've seen were really skinny though. A set of eagles would help them.

Some get worked up about the differences in different gens grips or grip frames. I like them all.

The short answer, rather than the long post I made before is that I just really like Colt SA's. If I was going to carry and use one much I'd rather it had good adjustable sights, either a New Frontier, or a Smith rear sight added and a decent front added. I may end up doing that to the Vaquero I have. The Rugers are good guns, but I like the Colts more for simple like sake. I hope I can afford to get another one some day.

I have some stuff that it seems like I should have, but that doesnt excite me much to shoot or carry.

LSP972
02-08-2015, 09:27 AM
A lot of folks around here take this stuff F-A-R too seriously, as if shooting a pistol is akin to launching a rocketship to Mars and the simple act of touching anything not striker fired and made of polymer (or at least carried in a Kydex holster) will turn you into a pogue.

I too wonder where you are getting this "vibe" from. It sounds like we (you and I) are of an age; I too grew up in a polymer-less gun world, and looked askance at them mightily when they first appeared. So you would think I would be one of the "steel-and-walnut-by-God!" worshippers.

I can appreciate those, and have a couple… but my interest in being able to prevail in a street/mall/whatever lethal force encounter has over-ridden everything else gun-related. I recognize that, understand it, and feel like I have lost something as a result. But I certainly do not begrudge/look down upon/scoff at those who are more interested in the fine good old days, etc. I actually do both; but having tested it with cash, I simply do not feel the desire to own/shoot many of the desirable old-timers. I have spent many an afternoon on the range with wood-stocked rifles and old pistols… and will again. But it isn't my main area of interest these days.

I'll agree that some here take the self-defense/shooting angle a bit farther than what _I_ consider necessary… but not in this thread.

Trooper224
02-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I'll agree that some here take the self-defense/shooting angle a bit farther than what _I_ consider necessary… but not in this thread.

Not in this thread but in general and it was just an observation, not a complete condemnation of the sight and it's participants so everyone can unclench.

Trooper224
02-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Nevermind

SamAdams
02-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Trooper224 - recently I was taking care of some chores on our place out in the country. I was wearing my USFA SAA clone in a Mernickel high rise holster and also a belt slide cartridge carrier with a half dozen extra rounds of 45 Colt. A coyote showed up, we have a lot of them around because of the livestock. I don't mind coyotes, actually like to hear their 'dog songs' at night . . . as long as they keep away from the livestock and our dogs & cats.
I didn't feel underarmed in the least. I've never had an animal stand still after a single shot was fired. Usually when they just see that you're looking at them, they run off. And one big advantage of that ole 45 Colt (or other favorite big bores such as the 44 Special or 45ACP), is that they are a helluva lot easier on the ears than the higher pressure loads if you need to shoot them in a quick emergency before you can put hearing protection on. (I've experienced a little bit of high frequency hearing loss from gun blast so pay attention to such things. The ear doc said everyone is different in terms of their sensitivity to blast). It may not be a first choice
for all self defense use, but IMO there's still a lot to be said for big bore revolvers, especially for working or field guns outdoors.

SteveK
02-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Just moved down the street from a gun shop. Thought I'd be neighborly and walked down Saturday and ordered a 4 5/8 Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt. Now for some aged pseudo ivory grips.

jetfire
02-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Ruger got my Blackhawk back to me, all repaired and good to go.

Looks like tomorrow is range day for re-sighting in. The real question is, do I sight it in for 225 grain PDX, or 185 grain Critical Defense?

SamAdams
02-10-2015, 05:08 PM
SteveK -" Just moved down the street from a gun shop. Thought I'd be neighborly and walked down Saturday and ordered a 4 5/8 Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt. Now for some aged pseudo ivory grips."

Got one of those myself with a nice set of stag grips. One of my favorite six guns. I like the alloy parts on the blued 4 5/8" Blackhawks. Lighter than my flattop in 44 Special.
Enjoy ! :)

LSP552
02-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Ruger got my Blackhawk back to me, all repaired and good to go.

Looks like tomorrow is range day for re-sighting in. The real question is, do I sight it in for 225 grain PDX, or 185 grain Critical Defense?

I didn't think it was even legal to load anything under 250 grs in a .45 Colt. :D

jetfire
02-10-2015, 11:34 PM
I didn't think it was even legal to load anything under 250 grs in a .45 Colt. :D

It is when it's going 1000 FPS and is awesome for killing things that weigh between 120 and 200 pounds.

SteveK
02-11-2015, 01:05 PM

Looks strange as all get out, doesn't it?

Dagga Boy
02-11-2015, 05:42 PM

Everybody my old place shot with 225gr. Silvertip went down like a sack of potatoes with a single round............it must be that the crooks aren't as "hardy" as elsewhere;).

Jeep
02-11-2015, 06:04 PM
What kind of velocity did those Silvertips get?

Dagga Boy
02-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Seem to remember between 900-950 fps.

Jeep
02-11-2015, 09:30 PM

Sounds like the recoil was probably fairly manageable out of those N frames.

LSP552
02-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Everybody my old place shot with 225gr. Silvertip went down like a sack of potatoes with a single round............it must be that the crooks aren't as "hardy" as elsewhere;).

Oh it's not the hardy crooks. I'm just worried about the space time continuum…..

Dagga Boy
02-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Sounds like the recoil was probably fairly manageable out of those N frames.

They were easy to shoot well, and dropped crooks like the hammer of Thor.

45dotACP
02-11-2015, 10:28 PM
That's something close to a +P 230gr 45 ACP no?

Dagga Boy
02-12-2015, 01:14 AM
That's something close to a +P 230gr 45 ACP no?

Yea, kind of funny how we found that +P 230 Federal HST works the same as far as dropping crooks right now. The biggest difference is the round coming out of an all steel N frame revolver seems a lot milder than when it comes out of a polymer framed service pistol. I think there is also a difference in the pressure curve (and they may not properly convey what I mean) when the bullet is launched out a case that is a lot longer and has no bearing on functioning the firearm.

jetfire
02-12-2015, 06:14 AM

This makes me feel good about rocking 225 PDX in my Blackhawk at about the same velocity as those silvertips.

JHC
02-13-2015, 08:11 AM
Just moved down the street from a gun shop. Thought I'd be neighborly and walked down Saturday and ordered a 4 5/8 Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt. Now for some aged pseudo ivory grips.

;) I just bought a 4 5/8 .45LC with the convertible ACP cylinder yesterday. The Lipseys edition with the white grips. Damn that thing seems throw up and point great. Dying to shoot it.

Jeep
02-13-2015, 09:04 AM
;) I just bought a 4 5/8 .45LC with the convertible ACP cylinder yesterday. The Lipseys edition with the white grips. Damn that thing seems throw up and point great. Dying to shoot it.

Congratulations. Let us know how both cylinders work.

JHC
02-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Congratulations. Let us know how both cylinders work.

Roger. It fits great in my Simply Rugged holster for 4" N frames too. I'm already thinking about a 7 1/2" Vaquero or clone now. lol

jetfire
02-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Roger. It fits great in my Simply Rugged holster for 4" N frames too. I'm already thinking about a 7 1/2" Vaquero or clone now. lol

DO IT

RevolverRob
02-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Damnit. I was doing well to avoid the siren call of a Vaquero Bisley in .45. Now I read this thread and all I can think is next summer, I'll be doing field work in southern Idaho and who knows what I might run into predatory wise....it would be good to have some extra power on tap over a DPX in .357...

-Rob

JHC
02-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Damnit. I was doing well to avoid the siren call of a Vaquero Bisley in .45. Now I read this thread and all I can think is next summer, I'll be doing field work in southern Idaho and who knows what I might run into predatory wise....it would be good to have some extra power on tap over a DPX in .357...

-Rob

Yeah the 5 1/2" high polish SS Bisley 45 Vaquero is on my short list too.

When you who have, filed the front blade on these fixed sight guns to zero a fav load do you like to flatten the top of the blade or tend to keep the curve of it?

SamAdams
02-14-2015, 06:37 PM

-Rob

There are griz in some parts of Idaho, so you would only be wise & prudent to pick up a big bore sidearm :)

RevolverRob
02-14-2015, 06:43 PM
There are griz in some parts of Idaho, so you would only be wise & prudent to pick up a big bore sidearm :)

Yea, but there have never been grizzly in the Great Basin. But you never know when that might change, right? Right. ;)

Malamute
02-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Yeah the 5 1/2" high polish SS Bisley 45 Vaquero is on my short list too.

When you who have, filed the front blade on these fixed sight guns to zero a fav load do you like to flatten the top of the blade or tend to keep the curve of it?

The ones I've done, I got the height sorted out, then profiled it so it looked nice (from the side). Viewed from behind, I keep a square profile. I think you were meaning from the side view, but,....

Malamute
02-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Yea, but there have never been grizzly in the Great Basin. But you never know when that might change, right? Right. ;)

When I think about that sort of thing, I think, "How long would it take a bear to walk this far?"

Theyve shown up in some unexpected places now and then, often miles from any mountains, and a few have been reported in places they officially dont exist. They only had to walk across 50-ish miles of relatively unpopulated country, not that great of a feat. When the available habitat gets filled to comfortable capacity, young bears need to scout out new country to live in.

The Yellowstone woofs have covered surprising amounts of country. One was reported out by Gillette a couple summers ago, apparently sightseeing, then he headed south towards Douglas. Another one turned up on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

SamAdams
02-15-2015, 02:10 AM
Well, IMO you only want to be analytical enough and research just enough to justify getting a new gun. Once this is achieved . . . STOP !

Malamute is right, though. This griz travelled 2800 miles:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/grizzly-s--mile-montana-idaho-ramble-intrigues-experts/article_af414a38-e465-5bc1-9e3a-6f7dbd025cb1.html

And you never know where you may go in your free time on the weekends. Might decide to check out a brewery up north, right? :D

(While in griz country (parts of ID, MT, AK) I've been known to carry pepper spray and a 4.2 " barrel Redhawk in 45 Colt or 44 Mag.)

JHC
02-15-2015, 01:21 PM
I am now totally smitten with shooting a SA .45 "duelist".

warpedcamshaft
02-23-2015, 10:57 AM
From a 45 LC in a 4 3/4 ish barrel standpoint I'm trying to decide if I should get a Vaquero or a Colt "clone" like a Taylor or Uberti. I realize the Vaquero is likely more durable and of higher quality, but it is a little bit heavier/larger and less historically accurate from a design standpoint if my understanding is correct. I can tell a bit of a weight/balance difference between the 357 and 45 versions of the Uberti's and prefer the way the 45 feels even though I'd rather shoot 38's. There is also something appealing about that big 45 cal chunk of lead.

A real Colt is pretty much out of the question for me price wise, just can't swing it. I would have just bought a USFA Rodeo, but they are making Zipper-head guns now instead of SAA's and the prices are through the roof.

Any thoughts from folks here?

JHC
02-23-2015, 11:26 AM
The ones I've done, I got the height sorted out, then profiled it so it looked nice (from the side). Viewed from behind, I keep a square profile. I think you were meaning from the side view, but,....

Got it. Thanks!

JHC
02-23-2015, 11:29 AM
From a 45 LC in a 4 3/4 ish barrel standpoint I'm trying to decide if I should get a Vaquero or a Colt "clone" like a Taylor or Uberti. I realize the Vaquero is likely more durable and of higher quality, but it is a little bit heavier/larger and less historically accurate from a design standpoint if my understanding is correct. I can tell a bit of a weight/balance difference between the 357 and 45 versions of the Uberti's and prefer the way the 45 feels even though I'd rather shoot 38's. There is also something appealing about that big 45 cal chunk of lead.

A real Colt is pretty much out of the question for me price wise, just can't swing it. I would have just bought a USFA Rodeo, but they are making Zipper-head guns now instead of SAA's and the prices are through the roof.

Any thoughts from folks here?

I've got the same dilemma over .357 vs .45 for balance etc. And I'm thinking of a 7 1/2" cav model so the small .35 bore could have even more weight effect.

Too bad more don't offer .45acp convertible cylinders. I went BH with the ACP cylinder and that's cheaper than .38 spec round heeah.

I will replace the hammer with a Bisley or SBH though. Just getting started on "rapid" fire was eye opening; thumbing that tall hammer.

Malamute
02-23-2015, 12:45 PM
I've got the same dilemma over .357 vs .45 for balance etc. And I'm thinking of a 7 1/2" cav model so the small .35 bore could have even more weight effect.

Too bad more don't offer .45acp convertible cylinders. I went BH with the ACP cylinder and that's cheaper than .38 spec round heeah.

I will replace the hammer with a Bisley or SBH though. Just getting started on "rapid" fire was eye opening; thumbing that tall hammer.

In the longer barrel the caliber difference will be more noticable. I certainly wouldnt mind having a 38/357 Colt or Uberti size gun for shooting. They are a bit lighter than a Ruger. I also have thousands of 38 brass (5 gal bucket?), probably more than I can wear out in my lifetime. Most of my revolvers have seen little or no factory ammo in their lifetimes.

Still, hard to go wrong with either cal.

If one isnt familiar with the Colt/Uberti type action it may seem weird at first. They need to be half cocked to load/unload, and are best carried with an empty chamber under the hammer. The need to manipulate the hammer and trigger to load/unload may bother some that are strict adherants to modern safety habits in gun handling. No real need to carry with an empty chamber in Ruger "new Models" (anything made since 1974) nor any post WWII DA revolvers.

You can run them pretty fast two handed, cocking with the left thumb. One handed, the lower hammer spur helps some. If shooting one handed, you'll get the appreciate the swell or flair at the back of the grip. The heel of your hand hits it after cocking, giving an index to get back on the grip.

JHC
02-23-2015, 12:50 PM
In the longer barrel the caliber difference will be more noticable. I certainly wouldnt mind having a 38/357 Colt or Uberti size gun for shooting. They are a bit lighter than a Ruger. I also have thousands of 38 brass (5 gal bucket?), probably more than I can wear out in my lifetime. Most of my revolvers have seen little or no factory ammo in their lifetimes.

Still, hard to go wrong with either cal.

If one isnt familiar with the Colt/Uberti type action it may seem weird at first. They need to be half cocked to load/unload, and are best carried with an empty chamber under the hammer. The need to manipulate the hammer and trigger to load/unload may bother some that are strict adherants to modern safety habits in gun handling. No real need to carry with an empty chamber in Ruger "new Models" (anything made since 1974) nor any post WWII DA revolvers.

The half cock to load is part of the old charm I would think. OTOH Uberti has this newer line called "Horseman" I think that has a transfer bar safety et al. A 7 1/2" .357 out to really put some giddy-up on some magnum loads.

Malamute
02-23-2015, 12:57 PM
The first 3 handguns I owned were that way, it seems natural to me.

I dont know about Ubertis and transfer bars. I havent kept up with Uberti at all. A neighbor and his wife shoot them quite a bit for cowboy stuff and mounted shooting.

warpedcamshaft
02-23-2015, 01:21 PM
I grew up on a 4 click Single Six. I probably shot 25,000 rounds through that gun over the years. The half-cock, load 5/6, and loading gate set up is part of the charm of single actions for me.

I bought a 357 Magnum Blackhawk years later and hate it to this day. A 6.5 inch barrel and an aluminum grip frame make for an awkward front heavy handgun in my experience.

This is why I'm leaning towards a Uberti/Taylor/Cimmaron vs the New Vaquero. Still keeps me up at night deciding. ;)

jetfire
02-23-2015, 01:37 PM

The Western Star Leather holster for my Blackhawk showed up today. It's really nice.

Malamute
02-23-2015, 01:45 PM
I agree, the 357 Blackhawks always felt oddly balanced to me also.

In the Rugers, I tend towards the 45's. I've had a number of 44's, they are great guns, but side by side with the 45's, I just like the 45's feel better.

A 357 Blackhawk was the 3rd handgun I owned. The New Models came out shortly after that, I sold the 6 1/2" gun and got a 4 5/8" one. Not long after I got a 44 Super Blackhawk. Think I was about 14-ish.

Caleb, your pic isnt showing, it may just be my OLD computer though.

jetfire
02-23-2015, 05:31 PM
I agree, the 357 Blackhawks always felt oddly balanced to me also.

In the Rugers, I tend towards the 45's. I've had a number of 44's, they are great guns, but side by side with the 45's, I just like the 45's feel better.

A 357 Blackhawk was the 3rd handgun I owned. The New Models came out shortly after that, I sold the 6 1/2" gun and got a 4 5/8" one. Not long after I got a 44 Super Blackhawk. Think I was about 14-ish.

Caleb, your pic isnt showing, it may just be my OLD computer though.

I'd hope so, I just added it to the site. Here's the direct link if you'd like to take a look: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3135&d=1424716654

I also agree that the .357 BHawks seem a little off. I've always preferred Ruger SA revolvers in .45 over .357, although I'd be hard-pressed to tell you exactly why.

NEPAKevin
02-27-2015, 01:21 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Colt Cowboy. Every once and a while, I see one up for sale on the used market usually in the six to seven hundred-ish range but never picked one up as I heard they can be hit or miss.

LHS
03-01-2015, 04:57 AM

Summit Gun Broker (http://summitgunbroker.com/vaquero.html) has a used, old large-frame 7-1/2" Vaquero in .45LC for sale. Looks like the longer-barreled twin to my .44 Mag Vaquero. Please buy it before I'm tempted to do so.

JHC
03-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Summit Gun Broker (http://summitgunbroker.com/vaquero.html) has a used, old large-frame 7-1/2" Vaquero in .45LC for sale. Looks like the longer-barreled twin to my .44 Mag Vaquero. Please buy it before I'm tempted to do so.

Oh mannnn. Sorry, can't help. ;) IF I were got go large frame Vaq I think it would be for any of the shorter barrel length Bisleys in .44 or .45. To replicate the Ross Seyfried ultimate woods handgun. OTOH I think Rugers look great cut down to 5" or 5.5" length.

OK I'll take a look. LOL

Last weekend I hit a local gun show. First one I've gone to in some years. I did not find a single Vaquero in the hall. And very few SA's in general. One very cool 5 1/2" New SBH in .44 but I don't want a .44 right now. Used to be every other table was covered up with SAs.
Fashions have really changed.

LHS
03-01-2015, 09:11 PM
I'd be damn tempted if it was a .44. Unfortunately, I think there would be too much potential for unpleasantness mixing .44 and .45 in the same rig.

Malamute
03-01-2015, 10:00 PM
I'd be damn tempted if it was a .44. Unfortunately, I think there would be too much potential for unpleasantness mixing .44 and .45 in the same rig.

I've heard of it happening a few times, I think its hard on the brass, but I dont think its dangerous. The undersize bullet doesnt let pressure develop normally. Accuracy isnt very good. :D

IIRC, the first clue a couple people had was terrible groups and REALLY weird looking brass when they ejected it.

ETA: Couldnt recall where I'd read it. I believe it was before this, but seveal guys admitted to have done it accidently.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-645682.html

RoxanneKMadsen
03-13-2015, 08:00 AM

Yeah, you are right. I also love .45 colts.

jetfire
03-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Just another .45 to the collection yesterday. A flyweight 325PD in .45 ACP. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this, but it's awesome and I don't care.

Dagga Boy
03-21-2015, 03:38 PM
Those things are hard not to like. It's like my 329NG....super neat gun that scares me.

threedogdad
03-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Just another .45 to the collection yesterday. A flyweight 325PD in .45 ACP. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this, but it's awesome and I don't care.

That's a sexy looking bullet puller.

LSP972
03-21-2015, 04:46 PM

I coonfingered one of these, and a pug-nosed M-327, for weeks at a LGS some years back. Man, I really wanted both of them (those Ahrends stocks are pure joy); but every time I started to draw the plastic, a life-size visual of my 360PD pummeling me would pop up front and center.

Kyle Reese
03-21-2015, 07:10 PM

I'm not a revolver guy, but that is one sexy beast.

Kevin B.
03-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Not that I am much of a revolver guy, but I do have a soft spot for all things .45. What is the recoil like on that?

jetfire
03-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Not that I am much of a revolver guy, but I do have a soft spot for all things .45. What is the recoil like on that?

It is definitely there.

user277221
03-22-2015, 01:55 AM

I'll tell you what to do with it... earn the first revolver FAST coin with that beast!

Lost River
03-22-2015, 09:45 AM

That's a very sweet looking revolver. I got rid of my Model 25-2s and never cared for moon clips, but the big bore belly gun shown could cause me to give it another go.

Not too long ago I picked up a 329. It's a bit harsh recoil wise, but for an emergency gun, IE; pack a lot, shoot rarely, it's sweet.

Lost River
03-22-2015, 09:47 AM
I forgot to mention, that snubby forty five would be a perfect candidate for some heavy hard cast acp loads such as 255s pushed by large doses of unique. That would turn it into another animal completely.

jetfire
03-22-2015, 10:12 AM
I forgot to mention, that snubby forty five would be a perfect candidate for some heavy hard cast acp loads such as 255s pushed by large doses of unique. That would turn it into another animal completely.

Man you'd have to crimp the hell out of that. One of the actual issues with this gun is a lot of .45 ACP ammo isn't really crimped hard, and the recoil with this gun has been known to actually unseat bullets in their cases.

Lost River
03-22-2015, 10:33 AM
You are absolutely correct.

After doing some long range shooting with a friend, I noted (as pointed out by my friend) that you get more consistent results at LR with a heavier than normal crimp. I recently added Lee crimp dies to my Dillon tool heads just for this purpose.

People might be surprised at the performance of the ACP cartridge, when utilized with a heavier bullet, with a large flat meplat. It's a whole different animal.

jetfire
03-22-2015, 10:59 AM
You are absolutely correct.

After doing some long range shooting with a friend, I noted (as pointed out by my friend) that you get more consistent results at LR with a heavier than normal crimp. I recently added Lee crimp dies to my Dillon tool heads just for this purpose.

People might be surprised at the performance of the ACP cartridge, when utilized with a heavier bullet, with a large flat meplat. It's a whole different animal.

I'd be willing to try something like that out of a 625, but there's something about running hot .45s out of a gun that weighs less than a volleyball that I find somewhat intimidating.

Lost River
03-22-2015, 12:44 PM
That's one of the reasons I limit my 329 to 10 grains of Unique with a 240/250 cast. That and 300 grain projectiles with heavy doses of H 110 just hurt.

warpedcamshaft
03-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Ended up getting a Cimarron model P 4/34 inch in 45 LC after reading and contemplating. (Uberti manufacture)

After about 100 rounds, every screw on the gun was loose... and trying to tighten the screws without a hollow ground screwdriver is a bad idea on the soft Italian steel.

Pretty and fun gun, but it has some finish flaws (tool chatter on the frame, finish drip marks on stocks) and very soft fasteners.

I'm going to order a SAA specific hollow ground driver set and new backstrap screws, because they are just a tiny bit buggered and it will bother me forever if I leave them.

Coal Train
03-12-2019, 09:50 AM
I recently succumbed to the temptation of a Standard Manufacturing Single Action in nickel. Like shaking hands with God.

Any recommendations for a holster maker? I have never had a SAA holster so feedback is appreciated. I'm not interested in SASS drama or BBQ prancing, just something I can play Bat Masterson with at the farm.

Pictured below along with it's bigger, ponier brother.

JHC
03-12-2019, 10:49 AM
I recently succumbed to the temptation of a Standard Manufacturing Single Action in nickel. Like shaking hands with God.

Any recommendations for a holster maker? I have never had a SAA holster so feedback is appreciated. I'm not interested in SASS drama or BBQ prancing, just something I can play Bat Masterson with at the farm.

Here's a low budget one with realistic historic look. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/319492/el-paso-saddlery-territorian-western-holster?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Holsters+%26+Belts&utm_content=319492

Nicer models here https://epsaddlery.com/product/1849-californian-holster/

Jim Watson
03-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Maybe you don't want to SASS, but if you have a contact in the game, get a copy of the Cowboy Chronicle and check out the ads.

03RN
03-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Elpasso saddlery Threepersons. Traditional, useful, good looking, and rugged.

Totem Polar
03-12-2019, 12:09 PM
All good. Might add:

https://www.mernickleholsters.com

https://www.simplyrugged.com

03RN
03-12-2019, 12:19 PM
All good. Might add:

https://www.mernickleholsters.com

https://www.simplyrugged.com

Yup, I have those too. Kramer makes a really nice horsehide pancake that use for my Redhawk as well.

Don't skimp on leather.

Totem Polar
03-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Don't skimp on leather.

^^^right up there with "Happy wife = happy life" and "an apple a day..."

JMO.

Coal Train
03-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the maker suggestions. Any advice on configuration (eg crossdraw, strong side, etc.)?

How about regular gunbelt vs the “money belt” set up?

03RN
03-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the maker suggestions. Any advice on configuration (eg crossdraw, strong side, etc.)?

How about regular gunbelt vs the “money belt” set up?

I like a good stiff horse hide belt and standard 3 o'clock for field use.
Belt is from "A Better Belt". Holster is Elpasso saddlery.

Inkwell 41
03-12-2019, 05:52 PM

What do you think about the Standard Manufacturing SAA? How does it compare to your Colt?

Eric_L
03-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Any recommendations for a holster maker?

Milt Sparks 200 AW.

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-200aw.php

Coal Train
03-12-2019, 10:44 PM
What do you think about the Standard Manufacturing SAA? How does it compare to your Colt?
I am certainly not an SAA expert but I would say it compares favorably. My Colt is a 3rd Gen manufactured in 201X. I bought it new around 2012. I am more accurate with the Standard than the Colt. The trigger on the Standard is noticeably lighter and crisper than my Colt. One of the screws backed out a little on the Standard......but it is also more noticeable on the Standard since they are clocked. Buds has several Standards on display at their showroom and the case colored/blued guns are much prettier than my Colt.

I like them both.

I think the challenge that Standard currently has is that with a Colt even with the QC up and downs they sometimes have it is a bit of known quantity, especially with the horse on the side. The Standard is very, very nice in person.....but they are not really available in-person anywhere so you are taking a leap of faith in throwing down a serious chunk of money on an “unknown.” If you like a quality SAA I can’t imagine you would be disappointed in a Standard, provided it holds up.

Coal Train
03-14-2019, 10:23 AM
I've been checking out the holster makers recommended here.

Have you guys had good luck with El Paso Saddlery? Many of their reviews online are not great.....which falls in line with several of my experiences with leather holster makers in the past.

Dave T
03-14-2019, 01:56 PM
I couldn't resist responding to this thread as my first love has long been single action revolvers chambered for the 45 Colt cartridge. I once owned a collection of 1st Gen Colts but life happened. In my dotage I have become enamored with the later production (no Italian parts) USFA single actions. Here is my collection with the original barrel lengths of 7.5", 5.5", and 4.75", and all with black powder frames.

All chambered in 45 Colt of course. Shooting them with black powder handloads is both an experience, and a real hoot!

Dave

fatdog
03-14-2019, 03:43 PM
...luck with El Paso Saddlery?

As a cowboy action shooter who owns too many rigs in the first place, from first hand experience I find those El Paso guys are slightly over priced for the quality and durability of what they make. Not really bad stuff, just not the level of differentiation, stiffness, durability to justify the wait or the prices.

03RN
03-14-2019, 08:22 PM

Have you guys had good luck with El Paso Saddlery? Many of their reviews online are not great.....which falls in line with several of my experiences with leather holster makers in the past.

I have 4 Threepersons holsters purchased over 10 years, a couple bullet slides and an engraved spider shoulder holster. 2 of the Threepersons have been heavily used in the field and have been holding up very well. The others seem to be as well made but haven't seen the use of the others.

Chuck Whitlock
03-15-2019, 05:12 PM

My one experience with EPS was less than satisfactory.

I ordered a Summer Cruiser holster for a Glock 19. It fits my son's Beretta 92FS better. I sent it back with a note as to such, along with a request for the black belt loops I had ordered instead of tan.

I got the same holster back with Black loops...the snaps are not PTD.

I'll personally buy elsewhere.

ralph
03-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Read this whole thread..Now, I've been looking over at Ruger's site at a Stainless Vaquero with a birdshead grip, 3 3/4" bbl, in .45acp. I'm thinking this would be a great fun gun to shoot to take a break from all the tacticool stuff. I load .45acp, other than a tighter crimp, is there anything else I need to know about loading for one of these? And, are there any known problems/issues with these?

Lost River
03-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Read this whole thread..Now, I've been looking over at Ruger's site at a Stainless Vaquero with a birdshead grip, 3 3/4" bbl, in .45acp. I'm thinking this would be a great fun gun to shoot to take a break from all the tacticool stuff. I load .45acp, other than a tighter crimp, is there anything else I need to know about loading for one of these? And, are there any known problems/issues with these?

Yes,

On the ones I have I noted that my USPSA loads (200 grain LSWC 4.3 Clays) would not chamber due to the SWC shoulder protruding above the case mouth a bit. The choice was either change the load, and seat it deeper just for revolver shooting, or ream the cylinder. I chose to ream the cylinder. That way I could use the same ammo in all my .45s, 1911s, revolvers, Glocks, whatever.

ralph
03-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Yes,

On the ones I have I noted that my USPSA loads (200 grain LSWC 4.3 Clays) would not chamber due to the SWC shoulder protruding above the case mouth a bit. The choice was either change the load, and seat it deeper just for revolver shooting, or ream the cylinder. I chose to ream the cylinder. That way I could use the same ammo in all my .45s, 1911s, revolvers, Glocks, whatever.

Ok, I usually run plated RN's both 200,and 230gr..the OAL I use is 1.250, for the 200gr bullets, and 1.260 for the 230gr bullets..Think those would work, without having the cylinder reamed? I'm not wanting to buy a pistol like this and have to send it out for work right off the bat, The other option, would be to buy the .44 mag model, that would go well with my Winchester M94 trapper, in .44mag..I could always download the .44's to near .45acp levels... And if I need to ramp'em up, I've got 8lbs of H-110, I got when I bought a friends 650, powder, primers, brass..