PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeable duty flashlights-what are you using?

secondstoryguy
01-25-2015, 12:01 AM
I've been wondering what others are using for rechargeable duty flashlights?

Me? After being issued an LED SL-20(not a bad light) I set out on a search for a smaller rechargeable duty flashlight. At the time my options were limited to the Surefire R1 and the at the time newly released Estrela Night Reaper. Although I hold Surefire's products in high regards, I chose the Night Reaper for some of the the following reasons:

-non-proprietary easy to get rechargeable batteries(18650s @ about $7-$8 a piece on amazon)
-comes with a charger that charges two batteries at a time
-1000 lumens(at the time the R1 was only 750-I think it's 1000 now)
-can use 123s if you need to
-nice easy to use switching with the ability to lock out the switch(switches just like the old Blackhawk Gladius lights)
-big enough to put under your arm in a pinch

I was unsure about this light when I bought it but it's proven to be a reliable and easy to use duty light. I bought it on a pre-order and think I paid $160 and they run $199 now which I still think thats a pretty good deal. The rechargeable last a long time and the light has a really nice throw. Here's the light after a year of use bouncing around the patrol car and many drops onto concrete:
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/secondstoryguy/99F74FBE-AF00-4E3E-9257-1A7B4C4AA8C5_zps2vmoycuc.jpg (http://s257.photobucket.com/user/secondstoryguy/media/99F74FBE-AF00-4E3E-9257-1A7B4C4AA8C5_zps2vmoycuc.jpg.html)

Anyone have any thoughts on the Surefire R1? Any other options out there?

Chuck Haggard
01-25-2015, 01:58 AM
IMHO the Estrella is the best night shift cop light ever made. It's that good.

If one can get access to the Gov-X site then pricing is more like $129

KeeFus
01-25-2015, 07:21 AM
Streamlight SL-20X.

Otherwise I have a Streamlight Pro-Tac 2L in my pocket but its not rechargeable. I'd like to get that Estrella Night Reaper but havent decided to invest $200.00 in it yet. I am on Gov-X so if its that much cheaper I will be buying one.

MD7305
01-25-2015, 07:42 AM
I use a Streamlight SL-20XP for administrative stuff. We're issued a Streamlight Strions for our duty belt and it's not a bad light. After attending a lowlight course I found that I wasn't fond of the clickie tail cap so I was able to locate a NIB Insight Typhoon X2 (Blackhawk Gladius twin). I absolutely love the magnetic switch and the method in which you select from constant, strobe, and momentary. I'm currently looking for a replacement primarily because the Typhoon's getting worn out, it's no longer in production, not rechargable, and want more lumens. I'm really looking hard at the Estrella because it use a similar switch to the Galdius family of lights, bright, and rechargable. I'm now especially interested after learning about the GovX discount. What light holster are you guys using with the Estrella? Does the Blackhawk Night-Ops carrier work with it?

John Hearne
01-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Just curious why you want the 1,000 lumens. I have one of the new Streamlight Stingers (640 lumens) and it is as bright as I want a duty flashlight to be short of searching large open fields. I was playing around with a 800 lumen light and it seemed like an 8th amendment violation when making night traffic stops. I also found out that if you shine an 800 lumen flashlight at a brand new driver's license, you can effectively blind yourself.:) If I had 1,000 lumens coming from a light, I wouldn't want it as the default setting.

Paul
01-25-2015, 10:54 AM
I tried out a Surefire R1 and sent it back. Good idea, but for the cost it falls short. I was a little wary of the proprietary battery.

I had a Malkoff devices brand flashlight that took an 18650 and had a 800 lumen output that was great light, until I lost it.

My favorite GP light is a green 3D Maglite with a Malkoff XM-L drop-in, Maha Nimh batteries and a rough orange peel reflector. It has a lot of flood, is easy on the eyes at night when doing close up work and throws light to 50 or so yards. I carry a Surefire fury on my belt as a second light.

redbeard1
01-25-2015, 11:40 AM
I've been using a rechargeable Inova light for the past 4 years. Works great. Beats the price of any surefire light.

Chuck Haggard
01-25-2015, 11:47 AM
With the Estrella, which has switchology pretty much exactly the same as the Gladius, you pre-set the constant on to the level you want, maybe you set it just right for your eyes to read DLs at night.

The two big advantages to the SL20 are being able to arm tuck the light when you need to write on a notepad, and that they make a really decent impact weapon.

jnc36rcpd
01-25-2015, 06:07 PM
I carry a 750 lumen Lawman R1 as my primary flashlight. While I'm a Surefire fanboy, I'm not sure this was worth even the discounted price I paid for it. While I like the features, the light can be somewhat finicky, sometimes emitting less than the full 750 lumens. If you are looking for a light of this size, I think the Streamlight HL LED which I have as a back-up is perhaps the better option.

I also have a Power-Tac E5 950 lumen light as a back-up. I consider it a little small as a primary light, but it makes me consider other Power-Tac lights as duty lights.

While I haven't used them on the road, I was able to examine some new Maglite products at TacOps East. One was a Magcharger which emitted 600 or so lumens. As Chuck suggests, this size is handy to tuck under the arm and to use as an impact weapons. Maglite also offered a palm-sized rechargeable that put out a decent amount of light and would serve nicely as a duty light.

Coyotesfan97
01-25-2015, 09:56 PM
I have a Pelican 8060 that sits in the armrest of my car that I grab when I step out. I have a Pelican 7060 on my duty belt. While its not rechargable I have a Streamlight Protac HL as a backup in one of my vest pouches.

tanner
01-26-2015, 02:23 AM
IMHO the Estrella is the best night shift cop light ever made. It's that good.

If one can get access to the Gov-X site then pricing is more like $129

Chuck pointed me at this light. Had it about four months or so working nights. Awesome light.

FYI you can get the $129 price by emailing the company and telling them you are LE. They emailed me the discount code.

bkpker
02-01-2015, 02:50 AM
I still use a Streamlight Ultrastinger. Ive used this same light since I became a cop about 7 years ago, and I like the decent light output (its not as much as some of the new LED lights) and the size. I like being able to tuck it under my armpit when im talking to a driver and its length is nice if you want to hit something. I always have a non rechargeable light on my duty belt as a backup though. I currently carry an Elzetta Bravo or Charlie model on my belt.

jondoe297
02-04-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm using a Streamlight Polystinger DS for my main duty light. I have some Gerber "cortex" thing that I was given for T&E as my backup light.

KevH
02-05-2015, 08:22 AM
I think the Streamlight Stinger DS LED HL probably has the best balance of performance, reliability and price.

Chuck Haggard
02-05-2015, 09:15 AM
I think the Streamlight Stinger DS LED HL probably has the best balance of performance, reliability and price.

For a program light I would agree. My old job went that route since we could get chargers into all of the cars, belt holders for the people who wanted them, guys could buy their own back-up light and have two on hand in case they got stuck on a long term scene like directing traffic for a few hours, etc.

Even so, the more I use the Estrella the better I like it. It's a very flexible general purpose and effective light.

Coyotesfan97
02-05-2015, 02:27 PM
I have the LE code for the Estrela. Now I'm just waiting for them to be in stock on the website.