PDA

View Full Version : Current state of the AK

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

rob_s
01-24-2015, 07:42 AM
Rather than muddy up this thread
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?14632-Magpul-AK-Furniture
I thought I'd start a new thread.

Since we will probably Now see a resurgence in AK interest, especially since the Magpul involvement and the ALG trigger option correct some of what a lot of us dislike about the AK, but also taking into account more legal restrictions in the last couple of years, what's the state of the AK market?

Specifically, I'm curious about three things...

1) what's the 6920 of the AK world? In other words, least expensive option that maintains the most basic of quality standards, reliability, and longevity.

2) what's the KAC SR15 (or, pick your high-dollar boutique gun)? In other words, the top of the line, has some innovative features, etc. But also maintains the base quality and reliability that matter.

3) besides Magpul, what's the accessory market doing? Ultimak still the way to go for optic mount? Still putting an Aimpoint Micro on it, or going with one of the screen-type mini optics (like the Leupokd delta point). Options to make the AK work with the new hotness of the 1.x-Y optics? Options for v,sue optics that match the (hopefully still accurate) perception of the AK as value forearm?

abu fitna
01-24-2015, 08:23 AM
I am sure far more knowledgeable folks will weigh in, but I have liked the arsenal builds for off the shelf options. Have seen moderate to high use on more than a few of them and have been pleased.

I may just be easy to please when it comes to ak. Having had some truly shit examples overseas, a milled lower with any sort of qa is still luxury...

LHS
01-24-2015, 11:46 AM
I've been wanting to see some hard-use testing (specifically some return-to-zero testing) of the Saberwerks 13 "KOP". If I'm going to pay to have a gunsmith install it, I want it to work and work well. If it does, then I think it'd be the heat for mounting a MRDS and still having BUIS, as well as for making a 1-6x optic work with the AK without interfering with the folding stock.

I'm interested in the Magpul stuff, especially if they come out with a version that works with a VEPR/RPK receiver.

Doug
01-24-2015, 04:19 PM
If it is built well, this may be very interesting. M10x

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/23/mm-industries-m10x-ak/

It is an AK with a hinged monolithic rail that uses AK parts.

Edit: Found this spec sheet http://akfiles.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2405624&postcount=64

Doug
01-24-2015, 04:21 PM
http://www.hawaiireporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/M10.jpg

I would stick with my Arsenal until proven. Looks like a Sig, don't like the rear stock attachment, need to see the internals.

Odin Bravo One
01-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Current state of the AK..........

Try to make it an AR.

Spend money, for "upgrades", "improvements", and "compatibility" features far in excess of practical return on investment.

Brag about guns' performance to people who cannot/will not ever be able to verify claims.

Find new gun of the month at some point later.

Repeat process.

Dagga Boy
01-25-2015, 10:50 AM
I have several.
The best BY FAR is the Arsenal SAM 7SF. Mine is a 1MOA gun with Hornady SST. I use an RS Regulate optics mount that uses the factory side rail. It is a full Bulgarian military rifle that mimics the Galil rather than the M4. It is the best of the AK's and not trying to be an AR. The Ambi controls an folder that folds to the right are a big plus along with all milled forged parts and a Steyr cold hammer forged barrel. It is an Ak great at being an AK.

I have a couple of custom built ones that each have their own roles and are optimized for those roles. One built by a former USMC Armorer to try to pull the best of the Ak qualities and parts combined with some AR stuff is a pretty neat gun and gets the eye raise anytime anyone picks it up.

AK's to me are straight up car killers, nothing more, nothing less and all are in 7.62x39 in my house. They are simply a tool for a job and not a 5.56 AR or AUG replacement.

JRB
01-25-2015, 12:09 PM
Rather than muddy up this thread
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?14632-Magpul-AK-Furniture
I thought I'd start a new thread.

Since we will probably Now see a resurgence in AK interest, especially since the Magpul involvement and the ALG trigger option correct some of what a lot of us dislike about the AK, but also taking into account more legal restrictions in the last couple of years, what's the state of the AK market?

Specifically, I'm curious about three things...

1) what's the 6920 of the AK world? In other words, least expensive option that maintains the most basic of quality standards, reliability, and longevity.

2) what's the KAC SR15 (or, pick your high-dollar boutique gun)? In other words, the top of the line, has some innovative features, etc. But also maintains the base quality and reliability that matter.

3) besides Magpul, what's the accessory market doing? Ultimak still the way to go for optic mount? Still putting an Aimpoint Micro on it, or going with one of the screen-type mini optics (like the Leupokd delta point). Options to make the AK work with the new hotness of the 1.x-Y optics? Options for v,sue optics that match the (hopefully still accurate) perception of the AK as value forearm?

I've taken quite an interest in AK's, mostly because I really enjoy shooting them for fun, but I also enjoy the wide variety of variants that have been made over the years by so many different countries. Also, from an engineering & production standpoint, the evolution of the AK from the first prototypes in the late 40's through today goes through a huge variety of fundamental changes and paradigm shifts that you really don't find in the history of any other firearms design.

Keeping the scope of your questions in perspective, I'm not including any consideration of previously-imported variants that are not commercially available through distributors anymore. There are hundreds of other AK variants that have come into this country over the past ~30 years and some of them are very nice, some are very poor.

1) I'd say the "6920" of AK's is the WASR 10/63. Like any currently imported rifle it was subjected to the 922(r) compliance process, which in the WASR's case included having its magwell milled out by Century arms to accommodate standard AK mags, and being fitted with a Tapco trigger group and other US parts. Plus it lacks the magwell 'dimples' on either side of the receiver that are desired if you're a real AK purist.
But a WASR 10/63 is easily found in the $500-600 range and accommodates all AKM-pattern accessories and parts, plus features a military CHF barrel, a Russian-style side mount scope rail for properly mounting an optic, and where permitted by law, a 14x1LH threaded muzzle and a bayonet lug.
Unlike the 6920, though, AK's are still typically made to somewhat sloppier standards, and it's better to buy one from a local gun store for the $100-150 premium so you can personally inspect it for a canted front sight block, canted gas block, canted rear sight block, sloppy furniture fitment, excessive magwell "wobble" etc.
If you want to try out the new Magpul furniture, I'd go with a WASR 10/63 that passed an inspection for the above-mentioned items.
Chinese made rifles (both pre and post 89) as well as Yugoslavian/Zastava variants and any milled receiver AK use different furniture than the AKM-standard stuff, so the Magpul parts won't be a drop-in installation, if it's possible to use them at all.

2) In this category, I'd go with a SAM7 series rifle such as Nyeti's SAM-7SF, or an SLR-107FR, depending on whether you wanted a milled receiver (SAM7) or a stamped receiver (SLR-107FR). On the latter I would specifically recommend only the SLR-107FR, as it includes the side-mount optic rail that the SLR-107F does not, and the SLR-107CR's with the AK100-series style gas system have been known to have some QC/QA issues not found on the FR variants.
If I were buying an AK to be a one-and-done AK with the intent to use it as a 'working gun' in any capacity, I'd opt for a SAM-7SF just like Nyeti's, even though the right side folding stock and the slight extension to the rear of the receiver needed to accommodate it drive AK purists absolutely nuts. Being able to fold the stock and keep an optic mounted is a big plus for me, as most other side folding AK stocks fold to the left, which requires removing any optic mounted to the receiver rail. This includes the SLR-107FR, unfortunately.
Also note that the SAM-7 series and SLR 107's all use 24x1.5RH AK74 style muzzle threads that thread on the FSB instead of the barrel itself, just as is found on the AK74 family. The good news is a wide variety of muzzle devices are available for this because of the AK74's increased popularity in the past 5-6 years thanks to the cheap 7N6 ammo imports that got shut down last year.
If you desire a more traditional AK that can do everything you'd need an AK to do but want a top-shelf rifle, I'd opt for an Arsenal M7-R.

3) Ultimak is still the way to go for a RDS mount on an AK without a receiver rail. With that, the proven Aimpoint micro works very well, and that's the enduring go-to choice for that role.
If you have a rifle with a receiver rail (such as any of the rifles I mentioned above) I strongly recommend the RS-Regulate mounts, but the Midwest Industries mounts are also solid. I would use the receiver rail mount in lieu of an Ultimak if one is on the AK in question, unless you've got a left-side folding stock that interferes with the receiver rail, and intend to use the folding stock regularly.

For variable power optics, the company that bought the rights to the Leatherwood name are making a 1-4x with a BDC specific to 7.62x39 called the CMR-AK762, and that's been well-received and I will probably end up buying one of my own after trying it on a friend's rifle.
Primary Arms is also working on a lower-cost 1-6x with a x39 BDC but last I checked there's no ETA on that, but it should be about $100 cheaper than the Leatherwood. Trijicon has also released a .300 Blackout ACOG that's rumored to match up very well with most x39 ammo if one uses the 'supersonic' part of the BDC, but I have no first-hand experience with that. In any of the above cases I'd opt for an RS-Regulate mount.

It's also worth mentioning that Winchester added a 7.62x39 offering to their PDX1 line sometime last year, and while it's substantially more expensive than Hornady SST/Zmax, The PDX-1 would likely be my choice for a 'duty' load in an AK.

Century Arms has really refocused their interest in the AK market toward 100% US production, specifically with their milled Centurion C39 series and their upcoming 'Red Army Standard' stamped AKM clone. The downside of those weapons and the other AK's manufactured by Century Arms is that no US made barrels are hammer-forged - you will only find hammer-forged barrels in imported models like the Romanian WASR 10, WASR 10/63, and AES-10B, and the Zastava-made Yugo pattern variants like the NPAP & OPAP. Naturally, the Bulgarian Arsenal rifles have outstanding CHF barrels, and the now-blocked Russian imports such as the Saiga and VEPR lines had quality CHF barrels.

Given the difficulty of replacing the barrel in an AK compared to that of an AR, and given that most AK ammunition uses bimetallic jackets, I strongly recommend against any AK variant with a US made barrel if high round counts are in your future. The good news is that many of them are relatively inexpensive and it wouldn't be difficult to sell a given AK variant that has 3-5k through it as a used gun & replace it with a 'fresh' variant of the same model.
If that is intended, though, I'd recommend buying 2 or 3 of your chosen variant at the same time, because the availability of any given AK model is somewhat mercurial and tends to change substantially as years pass, so it's likely that your variant of choice won't be available, even after only a year or two.

Hizzie
01-25-2015, 12:56 PM
I've owned a dozen over the last 7 years or so. The SAM7SF is truly a step above and beyond other AK's. I like the RS mounts too although a buddy has beaten the snot out of a Texas Weapon Systems topcover mount and has no "wandering zero" issues.

Odin Bravo One
01-25-2015, 09:23 PM
I don't doubt that AKs can be accurate enough. Reliable enough. Ergonomic enough. Effective enough. Fun enough.

I might even have a couple myself. Including the "upgrades", "accessories", & "improvements" versions.

The collectors, consumed by the countless variations, history, etc. are in a class by themselves.

But let us be honest with ourselves for a minute. These are not the majority of AKs. Nor are they the majority of AK owners. They are the few and far between. The "state of the AK" in this country is not determined by those who are serious shooters who know the proper role for their various platforms, nor the collectors who relish in the acquisition of a new variant. The bulk are "Bubba" guns, with "Bubba" add-ons, and bullshit claims on the internet with photos that no one will ever be able verify.

Dagga Boy
01-25-2015, 10:32 PM
That isn't limited to the AK....just sayin.

TheNewbie
01-25-2015, 11:29 PM
I work with guys who think the WASR 10 is the be all end all of combat rifles. I don't know enough to really say but this seems waaaayyyy off.

Sigfan26
01-25-2015, 11:43 PM
The 6920 if the AK world is the Arsenal SLR107. The best of the best? Probably the SAM7 (like nyeti said). The WASR, too me, isn't a serious option (strictly based on the fact that NO century product should be trusted out of the box). With testing, a WASR can be trusted. Out of the box... Not so much (I've seem them as bad as mags wouldn't even lock in to them). A well tested/built AK is an awesome thing. An out of the box WASR is a coin toss. If you buy a decent Arsenal, you should be ok... But, for the same price, you could probably buy a decent AR.

dookie1481
01-26-2015, 12:14 AM
FYI, if you want a 107 and don't have one, you might want to buy it now. Word is that a bunch of overseas contracts will have 107s tied up for the majority of next year.

Now, this comes from Arsenal themselves, so take it with a big brick of salt.

Sigfan26
01-26-2015, 12:50 AM
FYI, if you want a 107 and don't have one, you might want to buy it now. Word is that a bunch of overseas contracts will have 107s tied up for the majority of next year.

Now, this comes from Arsenal themselves, so take it with a big brick of salt.

Arsenal Bulgaria or Arsenal US has told you this?

JRB
01-26-2015, 01:01 AM
That isn't limited to the AK....just sayin.

Indeed.

I work with guys who think the WASR 10 is the be all end all of combat rifles. I don't know enough to really say but this seems waaaayyyy off.

I work with a guy that asked my recommendation for a good basic defensive handgun for practice/home defense/eventual carry, and after I recommended a Glock 19 and some similar 9mm's, he started giving me the ages old speech about 9mm and why he thinks an S&W Governor is better. Our co-workers are not reliable sources of information. See the thread about the 99% of all gun owners in the Romper Room.

Similarly, what would you think about someone who thought a Colt 6920 was the 'be all end all' of combat rifles? I can't say my assessment of their firearms knowledge would be substantially different vs holding a WASR in the same regard.

The 6920 if the AK world is the Arsenal SLR107. The best of the best? Probably the SAM7 (like nyeti said). The WASR, too me, isn't a serious option (strictly based on the fact that NO century product should be trusted out of the box). With testing, a WASR can be trusted. Out of the box... Not so much (I've seem them as bad as mags wouldn't even lock in to them). A well tested/built AK is an awesome thing. An out of the box WASR is a coin toss. If you buy a decent Arsenal, you should be ok... But, for the same price, you could probably buy a decent AR.

The WASR isn't a Century product, it's imported by them and brought into compliance by them. While older WASR-10's could be pretty bad, I haven't seen anything outstandingly wrong on a WASR 10/63 aside from the occasional canted FSB, hence my recommendation as that being the '6920' of the AK world here in the US - it's easily accessible, built to military specs by the military manufacturer, and is the most direct analogue to the most common military models as is possible with our current laws.
That said, it is produced by the CUGIR arsenal which seems to employ a lot of local Romanian alcoholics with astigmatism, hence the recommendation to inspect one in person before buying it, instead of simply ordering one from a distributor.

But if you think WASR's have problems, stay away from the GP1975's and other AK's that Century DOES make all themselves. Surprisingly, aside from the US made barrel and the problems that presents, I'm relatively impressed by the C39 as far as fit/finish/consistency is concerned - which is to say that they're not wildly inconsistent about parts fitment and QC/QA.

To be equally fair, though, the latest rounds of SLR's haven't exactly been 100% flawless out of the box, either. There's a reason a lot of folks specifically seek out the older SGL series Arsenal rifles built up from converted Saigas and avoid the newer stamped FIME-made SLR's.

Reliability, and trusting a weapon of any kind, is something that should ONLY be done after testing. Anyone that would trust a firearm out of the box, without any testing, only because of the brand name is already wrong.

rob_s
01-26-2015, 05:31 AM
I don't doubt that AKs can be accurate enough. Reliable enough. Ergonomic enough. Effective enough. Fun enough.

I might even have a couple myself. Including the "upgrades", "accessories", & "improvements" versions.

The collectors, consumed by the countless variations, history, etc. are in a class by themselves.

But let us be honest with ourselves for a minute. These are not the majority of AKs. Nor are they the majority of AK owners. They are the few and far between. The "state of the AK" in this country is not determined by those who are serious shooters who know the proper role for their various platforms, nor the collectors who relish in the acquisition of a new variant. The bulk are "Bubba" guns, with "Bubba" add-ons, and bullshit claims on the internet with photos that no one will ever be able verify.

Like nyeti said, not even remotely limited to AKs.

rob_s
01-26-2015, 05:34 AM
Reliability, and trusting a weapon of any kind, is something that should ONLY be done after testing. Anyone that would trust a firearm out of the box, without any testing, only because of the brand name is already wrong.

Maybe. But (a) not all guns are used as weapons and (b) there are some that have a lower probability of failing than others.
hence my question about the 6920 of AKs. What I was interested in hearing about is a gun that *could* be ordered from the Internet with a high degree of confidence that everything would be as it should, and which had all of the functional pieces required, if perhaps not all the latest gee whizz.

Dagga Boy
01-26-2015, 06:36 AM
Arsenal's Stamped guns are the 6920's of the AK world for me, while the milled are the higher end. The combination of Romanian slave labor and the assorted monkeys with tools at Century hits more along the lowest level of AR in my world. Given the choice, some of the older Yugoslavian stuff. If you can find something along the lines of an SA85M, they were very good, along with some of the higher end Chinese stuff.

rob_s
01-26-2015, 07:04 AM
It looks like Arsenals pretty much start at $1k these days, no?

I think for a lot of us the AK would fit into the "beater gun" role. It's a shame that we have to pay over-6920 prices to get 6920 potential.

Anyone have anything to say about these?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/contractor-wasr-10-ak47-detail.html?Itemid=0

MSparks909
01-26-2015, 09:26 AM
It looks like Arsenals pretty much start at $1k these days, no?

I think for a lot of us the AK would fit into the "beater gun" role. It's a shame that we have to pay over-6920 prices to get 6920 potential.

Anyone have anything to say about these?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/contractor-wasr-10-ak47-detail.html?Itemid=0

Why pay that much for a used WASR 10 when you can get a new one for not much more than that? I can see the collectible factor for being "assigned" to contractors, but other than that I don't see the draw of these.

IMO the 6920 of the AK world is the SLR-107FR. Have one along with a SAM7R. The SAM7's action feels a little smoother because it's a milled receiver, but I don't think the weight gain over the SLR is worth it if you will be carrying it in any capacity.

rob_s
01-26-2015, 09:30 AM
What's "not much more"? It's been said in this thread that one should only buy a WASR if there's been some inspection, and to get an inspected WASR from the same vendor it's $600 vs. the $470 for used.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

Another source for new WASRs at a price similar to the used ones linked-to?

dookie1481
01-29-2015, 12:48 AM
Arsenal Bulgaria or Arsenal US has told you this?

Arsenal USA / K-Var

BWT
01-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Arsenal's Stamped guns are the 6920's of the AK world for me, while the milled are the higher end. The combination of Romanian slave labor and the assorted monkeys with tools at Century hits more along the lowest level of AR in my world. Given the choice, some of the older Yugoslavian stuff. If you can find something along the lines of an SA85M, they were very good, along with some of the higher end Chinese stuff.

I'd agree with nyeti.

I'd go stamped and I'd go arsenal. I did at least, with an SGL21.

The market is flooded with AR's, so Colt's are going to go cheap. Whereas the SAIGA-12 being declared non sporting somehow associated all SAIGA's as now highly valuable, then compound that with the Russians sanctions cutting off all SAIGA's (which was the base for the SGL's), Arsenal's prices never dropped from the AWB scare, and moving all of their operations to Bulgaria. There are limited quality large Manufacturers of AKs.

Quality AK's aren't cheap. However, a company named Radom is coming on the scene in a major way and an AK fanatic I know seems to be very impressed. I might check them out as well. Some brief searching indicates they're still trying to import, etc.

That's the AK situation right now.

ETA: Basically, most Domestic AK makers largely rebuild from parts kits; which they're scraping the bottom of the barrel (Atlantic Arms has an Iraqi contractor parts kit AK). Most domestically made AK's don't have the best quality parts (the good ones are insanely expensive). Newly manufactured Foreign AK's that are imported have to basically go through a re manufacturing process here because they have to play the 922(r) game. Which requires two manufacturing sites.

For instance, doing a brief search for Radom seems they were looking for an import partner.

So AK's demand a premium currently.

ETA 2: Those SAIGA's in 7.62 were also the base gun for a lot of people (including Arsenal) for re manufacturing AK's.

jwperry
02-04-2015, 05:17 PM
I'd equate the 6920 to AK as an SGL21, with the SLR107 type being a bit more of a "SOCOM" model. It is something with a bit more features, but essentially the same gun.

The SAM7 is a nice gun and definitely near the top of the AK ladder, but being milled and not stamped will put a damper on what kind of aftermarket you can put on it especially in regards to the new Magpul offerings.

I'd put anything from Rifle Dynamics in the upper end Noveske/KAC category.

ETA: On the last AKs I had (an SLR106 & SLR107) I tried the US Palm/Midwest Industries optics mount/rail combo. I liked the optics mounting more and I also liked that my biggest gripe for the AK is heat build up on the support hand. My princess paws didn't like the heat that would come off the Ultimak rails or that would sometimes come off the hand guard retainer/sling attachment point. The full railed US Palm rail that I used covered the hand guard retainer and didn't transfer any heat the optic with the way it was mounted. I liked it a lot.

rob_s
03-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Anyone know anything about the optic mount shown on this gun?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/papriflews?utm_source=instock&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

Specifically, will it work with the RS Regulate mounts?

Any other issues with this gun re: Magpul's furniture or the impending Geissele trigger?

Dagga Boy
03-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Anyone know anything about the optic mount shown on this gun?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/papriflews?utm_source=instock&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

Specifically, will it work with the RS Regulate mounts?

Any other issues with this gun re: Magpul's furniture or the impending Geissele trigger?

Not sure, but the Yugoslavian guns are notorious for being different from everything else because.....they're Yugoslavian...;-)

Jay Cunningham
03-11-2015, 07:45 PM
"307 (Available Q1 2015)
Full length base for the Yugoslavian pattern Kalashnikov"

Hizzie
03-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Not sure, but the Yugoslavian guns are notorious for being different from everything else because.....they're Yugoslavian...;-)

Longer handguards
Thicker barrel
Yugo specific rear stock attachment
Notorious for "Yugo cheek slap"
Non chrome lined bore

My first Yugo was a M70AB2 underfolder and now I have two M70 OPAP rifles. They have/had the heavier RPK barrel trunnion and 1.5mm receiver. Stout but easy to shoot. Magpul plans on releasing Yugo specific versions of their new AK line.

Only complaint I have about the RS Regulate mounts is initially they told consumers the 310/311 would work for the Yugo rifles. While they do fit they are too high for cowitness.

cclaxton
03-12-2015, 09:05 AM
While we are on the subject of AK's, what about the mags that claim to lock the bolt back when the gun runs empty?
Anyone have experience with which mags work and in which guns?
I have a Zastava AK47 Serbian version that has the bolt lock back feature using the safety lever.

What are the options here?
Cody

Hizzie
03-12-2015, 10:09 AM
While we are on the subject of AK's, what about the mags that claim to lock the bolt back when the gun runs empty?
Anyone have experience with which mags work and in which guns?
I have a Zastava AK47 Serbian version that has the bolt lock back feature using the safety lever.

What are the options here?
Cody

The lever is pretty much for administrative locking back of the bolt. The BHO mags and mag followers merely hold the bolt back while inserted into the mag well after the last round had been fired by physically blocking the bolt from moving forward. Dropping the mag removed the obstruction and lets the bolt slam home. The bolt staying back on an empty round is a clue that the gun is empty though. Some guys swear by them while other swear at them.

Dagga Boy
03-12-2015, 10:28 AM
I am sort of at the point of "it's an AK" and run it like an AK. If you want an AR that does AR things in a bigger caliber.....it's called 6.8 SPC. If you want an AK (which is the Gen 2 Glock of rifles in my world), get a good one, and run it. Hobby AK's with lots of stuff are like hobby AR's raped by the Tapco catalog.

rob_s
03-13-2015, 08:12 AM
I am sort of at the point of "it's an AK" and run it like an AK. If you want an AR that does AR things in a bigger caliber.....it's called 6.8 SPC. If you want an AK (which is the Gen 2 Glock of rifles in my world), get a good one, and run it. Hobby AK's with lots of stuff are like hobby AR's raped by the Tapco catalog.

I can argue both sides of this point...

On the one hand, if there really were commercial AKs available in the $500-600 range that seemed to be virtually guaranteed to run, and mags and ammo were still significantly cheaper than 5.56 from the same makers, I might bite off on that argument.

However, having spent a year, several thousand rounds, a dozen matches, and multiple classes with an AK I can say that I find it to be problematic in several ways. In my experience the sights and the trigger are the most limiting factors to accuracy, caused not by the sight picture but the method by which they adjust being a bit gross. The trigger, which some say is actually good, is hit or miss across samples and presents a pretty significant change to those used to even a stock AR trigger. The Ultimak rail and T-1 solved the sight issue for most, but I think the RS Regulate, especially in it's more refined current design, which also allows for the legacy 30mm Aimpoint to be mounted, is better. And, the impending Geissele trigger will certainly be an improvement.

Also in my experience, the stock and handguards are too short, sling mounting options are limited, the grip sucks, and magazine changes are slower. While there's really nothing to be done about that last bit, until now (or, impending) there really weren't any good solutions. I agree with the sentiment that trying to turn an AK into an AR by porting over AR parts is a no-go. But, with the impending Magpul furniture being purspose-made for the AK, I think there are some definite ergonomic improvements to be made.

So, for me, the only reason to go with a stock AK would be if I could get one <$600, know that it would run, and was willing to invest the time to truly get it sighted in and regain my familiarity with it. Since none of those things are likely to happen, my renewed interest in the gun is far more angled towards fiddle-fart than anything else. It does strike me as silly to take a $600 gun and add a $100 stock, a $100 handguard, a $200 optic mount, and a $600 optic. But, then, that gets you a $1600 AK while 6720 similarly upgraded would actually only be about $200 more. But then I'd have yet another AR, instead of something new to play with.

Dagga Boy
03-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Rob, I actually agree with all that. I have wrote many times in the past that once we could get red dots on an AK,most of the issues were solved. Keep in mind,this is true of all modern rifles.

My point was more of things like trying to get the bolt to lock to the rear on the last shot. I have AK's in a variety of configurations that run from totally modified to near stock. I also have a couple of very cool Draco's. Of all of them, my Arsenal SAM7SF with the RS Regulate optic mount and light mount is easily my favorite and doesn't need any thing other than the optic and light mount, and a sling. I am going to try going to a micro T1 on it instead of the current Aimpoint ml3. The key to that gun, like my AUG, is they are not AR's and need to be run differently. Folks get into trying to make things work like AR's and Glocks. Things that AR's and Glocks do well may not be things your systems do well. Learn (which takes that "work" thing) to run what you have efficiently and cleanly and don't worry if that is different than what someone is doing on a video with an AR.

rob_s
03-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Definitely agree re: modifying the operating system to mimic some other platform. It's actually part of the reason I'm against all this "ambi" crap for the AR.

Part of the fun, if one is interested in fun with guns, is learning the different operation and tweaking methods of running the gun. For example, the popular "bash the mag" technique of changing mags on the AK was something I found I could do reliably and quickly when I was shooting that gun exclusively, but was a skill that deteriorated quickly when I wasn't shooting the AK. Therefore I changed to, and advocate, removing the empty mag with the weak hand first, then retrieving and inserting the fresh mag. Similarly, I found that rolling the gun inboard to run the bolt when wearing gloves was a non-issue but that when not wearing gloves the rear sight would cut up my hand, so I started rolling the gun outboard, which also turns out to present the magwell to my weak side to insert the fresh mag. Coming up with those techniques, and then passing them on to others, was what made shooting the AK fun for me.

Well, that and beating AR shooters at things like the Mod Navy Qual in an EAG class, or in a local two-gun match!

cclaxton
03-18-2015, 03:22 PM
AK Mags that lock the bolt back on an empty magazine. Pics.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CQkcquZChth7YhPF5eN0ZrXRgvxjMnPEUgvwIw32fhqM=w116-h207-p-nohttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/T1AZ8kLmTtEi9xVW28QUjR_DEbMJakrkRnxG12whOZLL=w116-h207-p-no

More pics https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115171063246096811918/albums/6127672174239070337
Works well. Note the one mag picture shows the follow doesn't have the flush backstop.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/KLDcWBtFhJYuCEyw1TzlW7pQ_40JiNPA-Vhw0a83Q6yv=w116-h207-p-no
I had some problems with really dirty mags. Cleaned and painted them.
The gun seems to be sensitive to the magazine "nose width" at the front of the mag where you first place the mag into the gun. I had to take the dremel to one mag to get it so it wasn't so tight. The other mags work great.

Jay Cunningham
03-18-2015, 04:09 PM
They don't lock the bolt back, they hold the bolt back.

cclaxton
03-19-2015, 10:20 AM
They don't lock the bolt back, they hold the bolt back.
Ok, fair enough.
Operationally, when you remove the mag, you have to manually rack the bolt anyway.
I have to say running an AK is quite different than an AR.
Cody

rob_s
03-20-2015, 04:53 AM
I have to say running an AK is quite different than an AR.

Which, as I mentioned above, is half the fun, and buyers/owners really shouldn't attempt to make one operate like the other.

Like most things, many AR owners buy an AK and then set about looking for ways to geek it up to make it look/behave like an AR, trying to substitute cash/fiddle-fuck for skill/experience. This is a recipe for failure and is an excercise in stupid. Sooner or later these people either (a) realize their folly and start to appreciate the gun for what it is, and isn't, or (b) fail.

This is the beauty, to me, of the new Magpul parts that are coming out. They don't try to make the AK not an AK, they simply enhance what the AK is for modern American techniques and body sizes.

As your now realizing, one mags you bought accomplish nothing.

Unobtanium
03-21-2015, 12:47 AM
The "top tier" guys in Russia have done a remarkable job trying to M4 the AK out.

At this point, I think National Pride is the only thing keeping them from just using M4's, and I wonder why anyone else bothers to use the AK, barring "It's what we have" and "It's for my fun".

S.W.
04-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Anyone have any experience with DDI AK's specifically the under folder? Seeing them for $800.

breakingtime91
04-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Anyone have any experience with DDI AK's specifically the under folder? Seeing them for $800.

If you have a choice, don't go with a underfolder. I used to think it was okay (used to own a polish underfolder) when it was my only rifle. After shooting a real stock again, I have no idea how I dealt with it.

Jay Cunningham
04-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Underfolding AKs are very cool looking. But they kind of suck to shoot for an extended period. If you want one, get a true Yugo.

S.W.
04-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the warning, I guess I'll look for a sidefolder instead.

Malamute
04-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the warning, I guess I'll look for a sidefolder instead.

I'm in complete agrement with the above comments about the underfolders. The Romanian side folder stocks arent as nice to shoot as the full stock guns, but are much better than the underfolders. They are also easily convertible, the Romanian side folder stocks will go on nearly any standard stocked stamped AK. In other words, buy the gun you want and you can buy a wire sidefolder and put on it. Some of the Hungarian or Yugo guns may not accept the wire sidefolders.

Kyle Reese
04-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Whatever you do, don't get an AMD-65. Those have the worst stocks known to man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JSGlock34
04-06-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm very pleased with the folder on my SLR-107CR. Locks up like a fixed stock.

rob_s
01-29-2016, 05:30 AM
I wanted to bump this to see if anything had changed in the last 8 months.

SamAdams
01-29-2016, 01:15 PM
My AKs are all Arsenals and in 7.62. Is there any reason for a US civilian to get a 5.45x39 ?

MichaelD
01-29-2016, 02:58 PM
My AKs are all Arsenals and in 7.62. Is there any reason for a US civilian to get a 5.45x39 ?

Given that all of the cheap 5.45x39 is dried up thanks to BATFE and the dunderheads who made a 5.45x39 pistol, I wouldn't think so, no.

Malamute
01-29-2016, 03:18 PM

I had one a few years ago when ammo was cheap ($109/1000). One great value was recreational. Shooting at rocks at dusk produced showers of sparks that were fun to see. Much like hollywood bullets, but the bi-metal jackets and mild steel cores did make good shows. I shot up some cars with it at the dump, most went through both sides that I could tell (also entertaining).

HCM
01-29-2016, 04:38 PM

Not anymore, now that the cheap surplus ammo is cut off. But if you already have one, like I do, there is no reason to get rid of it. They shoot well and the commercial ammo (Wolf etc) is still reasonable.

Jay Cunningham
01-29-2016, 05:22 PM
5.56mm AKs can be very nice - if they run.

Therein lies the rub.

StraitR
01-29-2016, 07:38 PM
5.56mm AKs can be very nice - if they run.

Therein lies the rub.

No experience with one, but I've always read the same thing.

LAV did a video some years ago on a modernized AK and used a slick little SLR-107cr in 5.56. He even made mention of the reduced reliability vs. the 7.62x39. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACcrtrFgDE8

Lon
01-29-2016, 08:11 PM
I had one of the Arsenal Sam-5s .223 AKs for a few years. Ran like a scalded dog. Really regret selling it. Loved that rifle.

Jay Cunningham
01-29-2016, 08:40 PM
I'd say the SA M5 is a pretty well-regarded design as far as reliability. I had one that ran perfectly, but for some reason it just wasn't an accurate rifle. The stamped SLR-106 series were plagued with problems when they first came out. One of the big issues is that unlike the 7.62 and 5.45mm guns, there's not a lot of standardization. At least one has a proprietary bolt size (the Romanian SAM 3 I believe) and magazines are a real crap shoot.

Jaywalker
01-30-2016, 03:04 PM
The "top tier" guys in Russia have done a remarkable job trying to M4 the AK out.

At this point, I think National Pride is the only thing keeping them from just using M4's, and I wonder why anyone else bothers to use the AK, barring "It's what we have" and "It's for my fun".

There's a lot of things there I don't understand - would someone mind explaining?

Dagga Boy
01-31-2016, 01:12 AM
I'd say the SA M5 is a pretty well-regarded design as far as reliability. I had one that ran perfectly, but for some reason it just wasn't an accurate rifle. The stamped SLR-106 series were plagued with problems when they first came out. One of the big issues is that unlike the 7.62 and 5.45mm guns, there's not a lot of standardization. At least one has a proprietary bolt size (the Romanian SAM 3 I believe) and magazines are a real crap shoot.

With that said, my SAM 7SF is as accurate as anything out there. It is a sub MOA rifle with Hornady ammo. It changed my mind on how good AK's can be when done right.

Jay Cunningham
01-31-2016, 01:58 AM
My SA M7 is a very accurate gun.

Lon
01-31-2016, 08:57 AM
I'd say the SA M5 is a pretty well-regarded design as far as reliability. I had one that ran perfectly, but for some reason it just wasn't an accurate rifle.

Mine was a sub moa rifle at 100 yards after I put an aimpoint on it. I didn't like the irons, but I haven't found any AK factory irons I have liked.

QuickStrike
02-01-2016, 03:55 PM
I wanted to bump this to see if anything had changed in the last 8 months.

Of the currently available ones, I prefer WASR or Arsenal's Bulgarians because they have chrome lined barrels. WASR's may be a little less accurate but they seem to hold up well.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/159106_AK_abuse__home_built_version_update_on_Page _6_.html

If I didn't just recently gotten a slr-107fr I'd be super tempted to get one.

Hizzie
02-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Mine was a sub moa rifle at 100 yards after I put an aimpoint on it. I didn't like the irons, but I haven't found any AK factory irons I have liked.

Krebs "fast acquisition" rear sight.

https://instagram.com/p/_J8XjBo2CY/
p/_J8XjBo2CY

MPG
02-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Current thoughts on the AK courtesy of Paul Howe: http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/published/training_bullets/The_AK_Variant_platform_Jan_2016.docx.

TR675
02-02-2016, 01:34 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160202/e864bca1cb046e232e31a78c78488709.jpg

Current state of the AK: chopped and coated. I'll put the Ultimak and Magpul handguard back on soon and, after that, an Aimpoint and a Vickers sling and call it my fun rifle for the year.

StraitR
02-04-2016, 09:12 PM
I like it. Pretty much my idea of a perfect AK.

Jay Cunningham
02-10-2016, 09:05 PM
http://www.hawaiireporter.com/review-of-the-krebs-custom-ac-15-a-refined-ak-47/123

StraitR
02-10-2016, 11:41 PM
http://www.hawaiireporter.com/review-of-the-krebs-custom-ac-15-a-refined-ak-47/123

Marc may be the only truly dedicated forward thinker on the AK platform, as evident in his parts and accessory designs. If I were diving back into the AK world, it would almost certainly be one of his AC-15's. (He gayed up the name though)

Cecil Burch
02-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Krebs "fast acquisition" rear sight.

https://instagram.com/p/_J8XjBo2CY/
p/_J8XjBo2CY

This!

This sight completely changed my ability to shoot the AK. With my bad eyes, rapidly using the factory rear was problematic at best. Putting the Krebs on was like night and day. Plus it is a cheap, cheap addition.

Between that and the Magpul Zhukhov handguards, I am enjoying the AK again.

rob_s
02-11-2016, 12:35 PM

This raises the question of diminishing returns for me. $2100 for an AK? Besides "because I want to" is there a practical reason to spend that much?

I'm open to the possibility, I'm just not seeing this a competing with, say, this (https://www.boltcarrier.com/product/sr-30-e3-iws-300-blackout-16-urx-31).

nalesq
02-11-2016, 03:17 PM
I'm just not seeing this a competing with, say, this (https://www.boltcarrier.com/product/sr-30-e3-iws-300-blackout-16-urx-31).

Well, 7.62x39mm IS a lot cheaper than .300BLK...

Malamute
02-11-2016, 04:28 PM

I liked the Valmet M-62/M-76 type sights. They had built in flip over tritium night sights also. The Galil copied many of the Valmet parts with a somewhat simplified rear sight which was also pretty good, especially compared to the ordinary open sights on most AK's.

Either would be improved with a gas tube optics rail.

Also like the Valmet/Galil mag catch, you can use the trigger finger to activate it. The extra guard on it wouldn't allow the "new mag sweep across the catch" technique though. I put one of the catches, but not the guard on one of the 5.45 guns I had. Really liked it.

The Sako/Valmet M-92/RK95s look pretty good. Too bad they were never sold over here.

Hizzie
02-11-2016, 06:10 PM
This!

This sight completely changed my ability to shoot the AK. With my bad eyes, rapidly using the factory rear was problematic at best. Putting the Krebs on was like night and day. Plus it is a cheap, cheap addition.

Between that and the Magpul Zhukhov handguards, I am enjoying the AK again.

Oh, you like the Magpul AK stuff? I prefer the AKM HG over the Zhukov HG. Too heavy and ruins the rifles balance for me. I do like the Zhukov stock. Folds for the Tetris like storage required by my over stuffed safe and the wide LOP adjustment makes it workable for my 4-11 fiance or my 6-1 brother.

https://instagram.com/p/_SVraaI2MV/
p/_SVraaI2MV

https://instagram.com/p/_FeMYOo2N-/
p/_FeMYOo2N-

voodoo_man
02-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Since its the subject...

Local shop had a DDI Magpul edition/version/furniture and it was really slick. I'd probably consider buying one if I wasn't all in with AR's.

Jay Cunningham
02-11-2016, 09:53 PM
This raises the question of diminishing returns for me. $2100 for an AK? Besides "because I want to" is there a practical reason to spend that much?

I'm open to the possibility, I'm just not seeing this a competing with, say, this (https://www.boltcarrier.com/product/sr-30-e3-iws-300-blackout-16-urx-31).

It is a lot of money, no doubt.

JSGlock34
02-11-2016, 10:18 PM
I keep my SLR-107CR stock, but every once in a while I'm tempted to build a clone of the Russian Alpha AK. I find it fascinating to see the Russians adopt US equipment (like EOTech sights) and small arms standards (such as Picatinny rails).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhTNZ1wAsc

Cecil Burch
02-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Oh, you like the Magpul AK stuff? I prefer the AKM HG over the Zhukov HG. Too heavy and ruins the rifles balance for me. I do like the Zhukov stock. Folds for the Tetris like storage required by my over stuffed safe and the wide LOP adjustment makes it workable for my 4-11 fiance or my 6-1 brother.

I love the Zhukov HG. It is a tiny bit heavier for sure, but I find for me that it puts the weight exactly where I need it for shooting - slightly muzzle heavy, but not to where it feels like it is going to "tip" forward. Plus, it is awesome to burn through a boatload of ammo and not need to wear gloves just to hold on to the gun. And I like having options on the HG for mounting a light.

Hizzie
02-12-2016, 03:30 PM
I love the Zhukov HG. It is a tiny bit heavier for sure, but I find for me that it puts the weight exactly where I need it for shooting - slightly muzzle heavy, but not to where it feels like it is going to "tip" forward. Plus, it is awesome to burn through a boatload of ammo and not need to wear gloves just to hold on to the gun. And I like having options on the HG for mounting a light.

7.4oz vs 15.1oz is a "tiny bit" heavier? You like them big women, don't ya? :P

Balance is a subjective thing. Definitely agree how nice the mlok is for mounting a light. One of those M10's will be getting an Arisaka scout light.

rob_s
02-12-2016, 04:01 PM
7.4oz vs 15.1oz is a "tiny bit" heavier?

That's a little misleading. While the handguard may be twice as heavy, you're talking about 7 oz difference on an object measured in pounds.

SLG
02-12-2016, 04:03 PM
AK's to me are straight up car killers, nothing more, nothing less and all are in 7.62x39 in my house. They are simply a tool for a job and not a 5.56 AR or AUG replacement.

This is what we carried them for overseas. A 7.62 krink is perfect as a stash in the car gun forclose range car issues. Plus, that wasnt always allowed, so the small size made it easy to transport low pro.

I have a few ak's today, but my favorite is still the cheap chinese version. Everyone used to make fun of them, and then the prices skyrocketed. Mine happens to be very accurate, and pretty nice all around. Even LAV stopped making fun of it when he saw how well it shot. Side folder is great, though a little on the short side, even for me. If i could get another one today, i would jump on it. I paid something like $200 for it back in the late 90's. It came with 10 mags, a case, sling and 500 rds of ammo.

I would argue that there have been no real improvements to the ak since then. A better gun? Sure, its called a 6920.:-)

Hizzie
02-12-2016, 04:12 PM
That's a little misleading. While the handguard may be twice as heavy, you're talking about 7 oz difference on an object measured in pounds.

Yes, 7.7 ounces and it is even further out towards the muzzle.

rob_s
02-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Yes, 7.7 ounces and it is even further out towards the muzzle.

Look, I'm all about being weight concious with firearms (I was doing light weight ARs before it was cool), but it's not like it doesn't come with add edge benefits. When the first pi-railed extended hand guards came out for ARs, they added weight too, but people were chomping at the bit for them in spite of that because they came with advantages hat offset the added weight.

I'd be more curious to know the weight of two otherwise identical DDIs, one with the long handguard and one with the short, and exactly how far forward that extra 7.7 oz would move the center of gravity.

Hizzie
02-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Look, I'm all about being weight concious with firearms (I was doing light weight ARs before it was cool), but it's not like it doesn't come with add edge benefits. When the first pi-railed extended hand guards came out for ARs, they added weight too, but people were chomping at the bit for them in spite of that because they came with advantages hat offset the added weight.

I'd be more curious to know the weight of two otherwise identical DDIs, one with the long handguard and one with the short, and exactly how far forward that extra 7.7 oz would move the center of gravity.

I got to handle identical rifles except AKM vs Zhukov HGs. It's a very noticeable difference. Ultimately I went with the AKM HG's on the M10's to take full advantage of the lighter front end afforded by the FSGB.

HCM
02-12-2016, 05:31 PM

All .... day .... Long ...,.http://www.ashleygraham.com/home ;-)

Cecil Burch
02-12-2016, 05:57 PM

I confess that 7oz seems irrelevant TO ME, FOR MY NEEDS. At least as far as it being some kind of burden.

SLG
02-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Who's using an ultimak? I've played with them but not a lot. Given the way it mounts, I have a hard time thinking it can really hold zero. A texas top rail with their peep sight may be in my future, I just don't know if I want to really trick an AK out.

Dagga Boy
02-15-2016, 02:38 PM
All .... day .... Long ...,.http://www.ashleygraham.com/home ;-)

I endorse this message.

Hizzie
02-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Who's using an ultimak? I've played with them but not a lot. Given the way it mounts, I have a hard time thinking it can really hold zero. A texas top rail with their peep sight may be in my future, I just don't know if I want to really trick an AK out.

Ultimak is solid. Just need an Aimpoint micro on it to survive the heat. RS Regulate side mounts are sweet. Modular, adjustable and solid.

JSGlock34
02-15-2016, 03:09 PM
I've also been thinking about acquiring a TWS railed dustcover for my SLR-107CR, but lately I've been researching Zenitco products. The Zenit B33 dustcover is pricey and apparently requires use of their rails, but supposedly offers a more solid mount than the TWS. Of course, at twice the price, it better...

SLG
02-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Ok, so other than a custom Krebs, is there anyway to just get a rear ghost/peep type setup, but on the rear cover, not forward like the rear sight? I would prefer that to a rail and an aimpoint, for my use of this gun.

GJM
02-15-2016, 03:50 PM
I have a Krebs and Arsenal with Ultimak and T1 -- both hold zero just fine.

Between the state of regular AR carbines in 5.56, and now .300 BLK, I haven't felt the urge to shoot my AKs much lately.

Hizzie
02-15-2016, 04:14 PM
Ok, so other than a custom Krebs, is there anyway to just get a rear ghost/peep type setup, but on the rear cover, not forward like the rear sight? I would prefer that to a rail and an aimpoint, for my use of this gun.

Tech Sights.

SLG
02-15-2016, 04:19 PM
I have a Krebs and Arsenal with Ultimak and T1 -- both hold zero just fine.

Between the state of regular AR carbines in 5.56, and now .300 BLK, I haven't felt the urge to shoot my AKs much lately.

Send them to me and I'll feed them and walk them.

GJM
02-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Send them to me and I'll feed them and walk them.

Plus, I have shot them enough, I have shot all the misses out of them.

SLG
02-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Tech Sights.

That looks pretty good. I looked at their stuff years ago for the SKS, but never got one. Didn't know they made an AK version. Any experience with them?

Hizzie
02-15-2016, 05:14 PM
That looks pretty good. I looked at their stuff years ago for the SKS, but never got one. Didn't know they made an AK version. Any experience with them?

No personal experience. Good reviews on them. It does complicate the takedown a little.

GAP
02-15-2016, 07:14 PM

Ultimak holds zero just fine and my Arsenals are simple beauties. ;)

SLG
02-15-2016, 09:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPcdndVpfaA

Dagga Boy
02-15-2016, 10:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPcdndVpfaA

I like that guy. The AK has big pistol,sights....that work like pistol sights. We know people who can shoot a pistol and hit those size targets at those distances with Glocks, so with an actual rifle with another point of contact, and then ground stabilized....well duh, it's called knowing how to shoot. Of course we also know that many folks can't shoot for crap with pistol sights, and it doesn't get much better when they are on a rifle.

For me, the biggest thing with the AK has been a low mounted red dot. Either the Ultimak or my prefered set up of the RS Regulate mount. Simple, fast, 24/7 efficient. My SAM 7SF with the RS Regulate mount and an Aimpoint is a simple joy in my life. Just a great simple system that is my first choice if shooting into a vehicle or through cover is a primary concern.

SLG
02-15-2016, 10:59 PM
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/ak47-akm-optic-mount-system-prod55213.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=AK-47

So for a 30mm aimpoint, what do I need?

HCM
02-15-2016, 11:56 PM
For those with the Krebs "fast acquisition" rear sight - it is based on the 1,000 Meter rear - how far off is it at 200 or 300 meters if you install it on a rifle with the 800 meter rear sight ?

Hizzie
02-16-2016, 12:05 AM
For those with the Krebs "fast acquisition" rear sight - it is based on the 1,000 Meter rear - how far off is it at 200 or 300 meters if you install it on a rifle with the 800 meter rear sight ?

It is based on a 1000m sight. I've only replaced 1000m sights with it so far. I do have an AMD65 (800m sight) and an extra Krebs if you have a range and want to try.

Hizzie
02-16-2016, 12:07 AM
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/ak47-akm-optic-mount-system-prod55213.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=AK-47

So for a 30mm aimpoint, what do I need?

What rifle?

rob_s
02-16-2016, 08:14 AM
I used an Ultimak for my 365 days of AK project for probably about 2/3 of the year. I had an H1 on it and had no issues, and in fact I came to believe that part of the reason for the AK reputation for accuracy issues has more to do with the difficulty of adjusting the sights than the sights themselves.

My thought going forward is to get an RS Regulate mount and another H1 on the eventual new AK, but I haven't seen one in person and the more I look at them the more it looks like they stick way the hell out the side. I think I may wind up back with another Ultimak. But I wouldn't use an Ultimak unless I was using an Aimpoint Micro as I don't think it would get a 30mm down low enough. I frankly don't think the RS would either. The advent of the Micro was what made optics on AKs viable IMO.

SLG
02-16-2016, 08:35 AM
What rifle?

Yugo.

If the micro is better I can go that way. I just like the bigger aimpoints, and figured for a receiver mount it would work out well.

Hizzie
02-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Yugo.

If the micro is better I can go that way. I just like the bigger aimpoints, and figured for a receiver mount it would work out well.

OPAP / NPAP would need the 307 lower and 30mm rds would need the AKM upper.

30mm FOV
p/_SMf1So2Kp

Micro FOV
p/8kRilPo2OG

Once I can get a day to hit the range and re-zero I'll be swapping the micro over to the M10 since lightweight is the goal and putting the ML2 on my SAM7SF for the better view.

rob_s
02-16-2016, 09:36 AM
I find these FOV discussions to be odd, and the pictures are certainly misleading. You can't replicate with a camera what your eyes actually see when using the optic.

That said, I too prefer the 30mm in most cases. Not because of "field of view" but because of "angle of view". But, on the AK, no matter what mount you use, I find the 30mm to put the dot too high for my head/neck.

SLG
02-16-2016, 09:50 AM
I find these FOV discussions to be odd, and the pictures are certainly misleading. You can't replicate with a camera what your eyes actually see when using the optic.

That said, I too prefer the 30mm in most cases. Not because of "field of view" but because of "angle of view". But, on the AK, no matter what mount you use, I find the 30mm to put the dot too high for my head/neck.

In a few days, my Yugo, which is my beater AK, will have the Zhukov stock on it, so cheek height should not be an issue.

I agree, FOV is not my concern. The Comp tubes are tougher than the Micro's. I find them easier to adjust. I find the dot faster to pick up, though we're talking probably unmeasurable differences. I've also carried Comps all over the world, and will always have a soft spot for them. When other guys optics were failing in harsh conditions, my Aimpoints kept working. Finally, I think the comp looks cool on the receiver, and since this AK is purely a fun gun for me, looks matter. My Polytech is kept in as issued form, so that if I need to train on an AK that is more representative of our enemies' guns, I can.

Hizzie,

Thanks for the info, I will lookat the mounts again.

nalesq
02-16-2016, 11:20 AM
My thought going forward is to get an RS Regulate mount and another H1 on the eventual new AK, but I haven't seen one in person and the more I look at them the more it looks like they stick way the hell out the side.

I have an RS Regulate mount, and it doesn't stick out as much as one might think. I am able to fold the stock to the mount side of the receiver without interference by the mount.

It also allows the optic to mount essentially as low as the Ultimak - if there is a height difference, it is imperceptible to me.

Dagga Boy
02-16-2016, 12:24 PM
I have the Ultimak, Midwest Ind., and the RS Regulate. By far my favorite is the RS Regulate. The others are nice, but the RS keeps the AK like an AK. Also, it comes off easily for other optics set-ups or to move to different guns. They were designed for contractors going overseas and issued AK's so that you had a good sight system you owned and kept possession of for armory issued guns. Running Micro's on the AK really changes the viability of them.

SLG
02-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Also, it comes off easily for other optics set-ups or to move to different guns. They were designed for contractors going overseas and issued AK's so that you had a good sight system you owned and kept possession of for armory issued guns. Running Micro's on the AK really changes the viability of them.

How does that work? The gun has the basic mount attached. Then you add the correct "arm" for your gun, then you add the optic mount, right? Which part comes off easily to swap optics? Do you need a new arm every time, or just the part that attaches the optic to the arm?

nalesq
02-16-2016, 02:38 PM
How does that work? The gun has the basic mount attached. Then you add the correct "arm" for your gun, then you add the optic mount, right? Which part comes off easily to swap optics? Do you need a new arm every time, or just the part that attaches the optic to the arm?

The arm that holds the optic is screwed into the base mount. The base mount is a QD style clamp that grabs onto the side receiver rail. You can move the whole assembly from weapon to weapon by detaching and reattaching the QD clamp.

You would only change out the arm if you wanted a completely different optic, like going from a 30mm Aimpoint to a Micro.

SLG
02-16-2016, 02:45 PM
The arm that holds the optic is screwed into the base mount. The base mount is a QD style clamp that grabs onto the side receiver rail. You can move the whole assembly from weapon to weapon by detaching and reattaching the QD clamp.

You would only change out the arm if you wanted a completely different optic, like going from a 30mm Aimpoint to a Micro.

So it is a two part mount that stays attached to the optic, and you swap out the whole assembly? Given that the pricing on them is almost $200 (depending on version), it seems that the Texas top rail is actually a really good deal, since you can just swap QD mounted optics on that, and have a rear peep, if you prefer. Am I correct?

nalesq
02-16-2016, 03:25 PM
So it is a two part mount that stays attached to the optic, and you swap out the whole assembly?

Yep!

Incidentally, I had also considered the TWS top cover mount. In my specific case, though, I didn't already have a low mount for my Aimpoint. So if I had gone that route, I would have had to buy another item anyway.

Also, although I wasn't aware of any specific data that suggested that the top cover mount had design-intrinsic problems holding zero, it just seemed to my lay perception of such things that the RS Regulate mount would be more likely to fit properly without issue (AKs being what they are) and hold zero better.

Dagga Boy
02-16-2016, 03:32 PM
Just to confirm SLG....your gun has a side rail on the left side of the receiver? The RS mount is essentially a highly evolved mount for the side rail guns. If you do not have the rail, then you will need one of the top mount systems.

SLG
02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Just to confirm SLG....your gun has a side rail on the left side of the receiver? The RS mount is essentially a highly evolved mount for the side rail guns. If you do not have the rail, then you will need one of the top mount systems.

Correct, it is a Yugo that has the side rail mounted on the left side of the receiver.

SLG
02-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Just because I'm AK obsessed, I won't let this thread die. :-)

Put the Zhukov on my NPAP. Works AWESOME! Unfortunately, none of the handguards will work, so it still has the wood on it. :-( You would think that a company that was going to release a Yugo specific folding stock, could also release a yugo specific forend...

RS Regulate mount for the 30mm Aimpoint is on its way. Pretty excited to try that out, and once it proves itself, a scope will be next. Likely the Primary Arms 1-6 with the BDC.

I already had the N-PAP from a few years ago, so it is the experimental gun. If I was going to do it over today, a SAM7 would be the way i would go for top end use. A Century 39V2 with the Zhukov stuff already installed is going for $800 in my area. Looks like a good lower end option.

Let's talk mags for a minute. Who makes the best today? My Chinese mags are by far the best I have seen, but they are of course unavaibale in 2016. I have a few Korean mags, and they are kind of rough. I HATE mags with the rib running down the middle of the back. What are the best mags out there today, preferably with a flat back. What about drum mags? I'm thinking a 75 rd rear feeding Russian drum, but I have no experience with them. Unless you count RPK's :-)

Jay Cunningham
02-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Polymer Bulgarian waffle mags are still the ones to beat, IMO.

SLG
02-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Polymer Bulgarian waffle mags are still the ones to beat, IMO.

Do you have a good source for them? They seem to be $45 plus. I certainly understand that quality mags cost, but I guess I'm spoiled by the quantities of really good M4 mags I have. Not to mention Glock mags... Even the best Sig and Beretta mags seem cheap by comparison.

Jay Cunningham
02-20-2016, 09:48 PM
I do not have a good source for them; I bought them back when they were cheap.

It'd be interested to do a head-to-head with the improved MagPul, the US Palm, and the Bulgarians.

GAP
02-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Personal preference I suppose, but I absolutely hate all of the polymer AK mags. Lucky for me since I just grabbed a 10 pack of used Hungarian steel mags for $99.50. ;)

Steel Flatbacks, Bulgarian Poly and Bakelite will cost you a small fortune. You can probably find a bulk pack of Magpul mags if you hate the spine that much. Version one if you don't care about the steel feed lips will be a lot cheaper.. But meh

MVS
02-20-2016, 10:00 PM
SLG, my two favorite AK mags have ribs running down the back. On the Bulgy Waffle it is one rib running lengthwise, and on the us palms it is a bunch of ribs running horizontally. I haven't bought any new AK mags in a couple of years so I have not tried the Magpul ones.

Jay Cunningham
02-20-2016, 10:07 PM
I bought a pile of Bakelite and plastic 5.45mm mags for like $7 and $8 apiece back in the day.

SLG
02-21-2016, 03:21 PM
So what about drum mags? I like getting the wife to play French maid, but when I get to play Russian invader...:-)

Hizzie
02-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Ronin's Grips ARM9 grip for the SAM7SF fans. Makes using the ambi thumb safety more natural.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Draco/1456092425_zpsslsytz5p.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Draco/1456092425_zpsslsytz5p.jpg.html)

StraitR
02-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Do you have a good source for them? They seem to be $45 plus. I certainly understand that quality mags cost, but I guess I'm spoiled by the quantities of really good M4 mags I have. Not to mention Glock mags... Even the best Sig and Beretta mags seem cheap by comparison.

Unfortunately, K-Var has been vigilant in setting and monitoring of the sale prices for their Circle 10 mags for as long as I can remember. $45 is standard unless found second hand. They are top quality, though.

9mm_shooter
02-22-2016, 07:58 AM
I bought a pile of Bakelite and plastic 5.45mm mags for like $7 and $8 apiece back in the day.

Yep. Before, you could order them online, and they'd arrive in parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLG
02-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Bought some 20 rd Korean mags from Krebs no less. They really suck, as most people here probably already know. I like the idea of 20 rounders though. When I told Krebs how bad they were, and asked what mags he thought were good today, he said the metal Bulgarian mags were actually pretty decent, and are still cheap. I ordered some to try out. Alos heard the Polish mags are good to go, but haven't ordered any yet.

Bought a few M3 Magpul's to try. Haven't shot them yet but they actually seem pretty well done. Don't fit my Polytech, but they do fit the Yugo well.

Anyone have any meaningful experience with any of these?

Still no info on drum mags?

SLG
02-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Doubletap

ssb
02-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Bought some 20 rd Korean mags from Krebs no less. They really suck, as most people here probably already know. I like the idea of 20 rounders though. When I told Krebs how bad they were, and asked what mags he thought were good today, he said the metal Bulgarian mags were actually pretty decent, and are still cheap. I ordered some to try out. Alos heard the Polish mags are good to go, but haven't ordered any yet.

Bought a few M3 Magpul's to try. Haven't shot them yet but they actually seem pretty well done. Don't fit my Polytech, but they do fit the Yugo well.

As far as 20-rounders go, I generally used Hungarian 20-round mags. Never had a mag-related problem in probably 10,000 rounds worth of Tula and Yugo surplus.

http://whatacountry.com/error.html?aspxerrorpath=/hungarian-ak-47-20-round-magazine.aspx

Pricier than I remember (used to be about $15), but I've done business with them before.

Malamute
02-25-2016, 12:48 AM
Ive used the Hungarian 20 rounders also, they are my favorite general purpose mags for shooting and having in a gun that's in and out of vehicles. The gun is lighter and less bulky. I keep a couple with soft point loads handy, and a few for shooting. They fit in 30 rd AR mag carriers nicely also, at least the carriers I've tried them in.

I don't know much about the mags around today. I had some waffle Bulgarians, and steel Russians and East Germans, they all were nicely made with few sharp edges compared to some others, and well finished.

BWT
02-25-2016, 03:11 AM

I haven't ever purchased a drum for an AK.

However, I've heard good things about Romanian magazines and these are pretty affordable.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/762x39/special-purchase-75-round-ak-47-drum-magazine-new-romanian-762x39

Hope that helps.

Cecil Burch
02-25-2016, 12:26 PM
As far as 20-rounders go, I generally used Hungarian 20-round mags. Never had a mag-related problem in probably 10,000 rounds worth of Tula and Yugo surplus.

Same here.

I have also had good luck with the Polish 20rd ones.

SLG
02-25-2016, 07:20 PM
Got my RS Regulate mount today. Have not shot it yet, but I am very impressed with it so far. Seems to be the best option for me, though only shooting and time will tell.

Hizzie
02-25-2016, 07:53 PM
Got my RS Regulate mount today. Have not shot it yet, but I am very impressed with it so far. Seems to be the best option for me, though only shooting and time will tell.

Don't forget the loctite.

SLG
02-25-2016, 08:14 PM
Don't forget the loctite.

Will do.

I looked for a post you made earlier about doubling up a mount. I didn't quite get it at the time, but I think I do now, but I can't find the post. may be my phone. Were you talking about using two of the 30mm aimpoint rings as a mount for the scope?

Hizzie
02-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Will do.

I looked for a post you made earlier about doubling up a mount. I didn't quite get it at the time, but I think I do now, but I can't find the post. may be my phone. Were you talking about using two of the 30mm aimpoint rings as a mount for the scope?

Yup. Horse recommends against that due to mounting height.

SLG
02-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Shot the gun today with the RS Regulate mount. Worked just like any good rifle with an Aimpoint:-) Zeroed it in a few rounds, and then it was hard to miss with the gun. No surprises there. Took the mount on and off a few times to test zero, but I didn't do anything crazy. Mount went right back to zero each time. Used the Magpul mags with the gun, and they worked perfectly too. No much of a test, but it is what it is.

After doing all that hard work;-), I broke out a full auto AK, and wasted some more ammo. I really don't shoot a lot of full auto, as it just doesn't interest me much, but an AK without a break always surprises me with how controllable it is. I may have to try a good break and see what it can really do.

Anyone have a break they really like for the AK?

Also, to tie into another thread, I've have a Primary Arms 1-6 on the way, and look forward to trying it out. It probably won't go on the Yugo though. I can't go into details today, but I have a special AK coming just for that scope, so we'll see how it does in a week or two. If it works out well, it may become a part time competition gun:-)

Sigfan26
02-26-2016, 07:39 PM
Shot the gun today with the RS Regulate mount. Worked just like any good rifle with an Aimpoint:-) Zeroed it in a few rounds, and then it was hard to miss with the gun. No surprises there. Took the mount on and off a few times to test zero, but I didn't do anything crazy. Mount went right back to zero each time. Used the Magpul mags with the gun, and they worked perfectly too. No much of a test, but it is what it is.

After doing all that hard work;-), I broke out a full auto AK, and wasted some more ammo. I really don't shoot a lot of full auto, as it just doesn't interest me much, but an AK without a break always surprises me with how controllable it is. I may have to try a good break and see what it can really do.

Anyone have a break they really like for the AK?

Also, to tie into another thread, I've have a Primary Arms 1-6 on the way, and look forward to trying it out. It probably won't go on the Yugo though. I can't go into details today, but I have a special AK coming just for that scope, so we'll see how it does in a week or two. If it works out well, it may become a part time competition gun:-)

Either the PWS FSC47 (also suppresses flash) or the LanTac Dragon

SLG
02-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Either the PWS FSC47 (also suppresses flash) or the LanTac Dragon

I'm familiar with them but I have not shot them. Can you compare them?

Sigfan26
02-26-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm familiar with them but I have not shot them. Can you compare them?

The FSC is the classic. I've seen 8 year old girls shoot wasr10's like they were an AR with this. They also have minimal flash (like A2 birdcage). I haven't played with the LanTac on an AK yet,... BUT, I can tell you I have shot it on an AR, and it is giggle inducing! It made my buddies Colt Commando length AR shoot like an 18" rifle gas 3 gun rifle. Still more flash (not a crazy amount) more than the FSC (having used goth a 556 FSC and the dragon on 16" guns).

The downfall of both is the same as every comp: THEY ARE LOUD!!!

Either one will serve you well.

SLG
02-26-2016, 08:23 PM
The FSC is the classic. I've seen 8 year old girls shoot wasr10's like they were an AR with this. They also have minimal flash (like A2 birdcage). I haven't played with the LanTac on an AK yet,... BUT, I can tell you I have shot it on an AR, and it is giggle inducing! It made my buddies Colt Commando length AR shoot like an 18" rifle gas 3 gun rifle. Still more flash (not a crazy amount) more than the FSC (having used goth a 556 FSC and the dragon on 16" guns).

The downfall of both is the same as every comp: THEY ARE LOUD!!!

Either one will serve you well.

I like how the Lantac looks (both aesthetically and the design), but I prefer the mounting of the PWS. Anyone else have any other preferred brakes for the AKM?

Hizzie
02-27-2016, 02:33 AM
14mm LH?

I really like the Griffin AK FlashComp as a combo device. Straight up brake? Been playing with the Mantis Brake from Vokil Tactical Systems in Bulgaria.

p/64bjcEo2P0

p/BBlXhRYo2C-

24mm RH?

Hands down my favorite brake is the Bulgarian Mantis. Beat the DTK-2 in my informal and is lighter/smaller to boot.

p/BCRAWcTo2AN

I have other pics and vids on my IG of all three brakes.

SLG
02-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Looks good Hizzie.

Which charging handle extension is that? I have one from Circle 10, but would like to try the Zenit one. May also just throw some rubber tubing on one.

Hizzie
02-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Looks good Hizzie.

Which charging handle extension is that? I have one from Circle 10, but would like to try the Zenit one. May also just throw some rubber tubing on one.

Tromix knurled. The M10 (Krebs sight pic) has a Carolina Shooters Supply handle. I think the Circle10 one is pretty long.

SLG
02-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Tromix knurled. The M10 (Krebs sight pic) has a Carolina Shooters Supply handle. I think the Circle10 one is pretty long.

They look very similar in length to me. Can you measure yours? I'll do the same shortly. Which do you prefer of the two you have?

Hizzie
02-27-2016, 09:43 AM
They look very similar in length to me. Can you measure yours? I'll do the same shortly. Which do you prefer of the two you have?

The knurling leaves a bit of a sharp ring around the set screw on the Tromix. Need gloves when running it hard. Otherwise like it fine.

I haven't run the CSS really hard yet but the smooth ribs seem less abrasive.

SxS measurements:

Circle10 lists theirs as 35mm (1.4") in length so it's a little longer than the CSS. If I need more I'll likely try a Tromix smooth.

Goodnight. It's bedtime.

SLG
02-27-2016, 11:39 AM
My Circle 10 is 1.3" long. Actually slightly less on my ruler, but I can't speak to the ruler's accuracy, and it is too small an amount to conveniently measure. The smooth Tromix one looks interesting and I was debating getting one last week.

Hizzie
02-27-2016, 06:58 PM
My Circle 10 is 1.3" long. Actually slightly less on my ruler, but I can't speak to the ruler's accuracy, and it is too small an amount to conveniently measure. The smooth Tromix one looks interesting and I was debating getting one last week.

If Circle10 were a better retailer I'd like to try one of his flat bottom versions. But since my first order took 5 weeks to ship with very bad comms. My second order, from December, I'm still waiting on my free spam can pillow, again cannot get any reply from Luke, I'm kinda unhappy with the service.

SLG
02-27-2016, 07:46 PM
If Circle10 were a better retailer I'd like to try one of his flat bottom versions. But since my first order took 5 weeks to ship with very bad comms. My second order, from December, I'm still waiting on my free spam can pillow, again cannot get any reply from Luke, I'm kinda unhappy with the service.

I have the flat bottomed one, built for the Yugo, I believe. The website said something about shipping within 2-3 weeks, but my order arrived in a few days. sorry to hear about the difficulties with them, but good to know for the future. I also was marketed to successfully, and bought one of the ALG recoil springs to try out. Can't hurt, I figure.

Got some NIB Bulgarian mags today. Seem pretty decent and still reasonably priced. 3oz heavier per mag than the Magpul M3, but I prefer to use steel for practice.

I'm having a hard time reading that metal ruler...is the Tromix 1 1/16"

SLG
02-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Just added this to my Chinese one. Cheap, light, replaceable. We'll see if it works or not.

TR675
02-28-2016, 02:38 PM
I've reinstalled an Ultimak on my chopped SLR and put on a Magpul MOE hand guard. Eventually an Aimpoint will go on the Ultimak; I've used this setup before and it works fine. It's suboptimal - I would prefer an RS Regulate side mount - but I've already sunk the cost into this setup and, anyways, what's the point of an SBR with a folding stock if you can't fold the stock?

The AKM MOE handguard is great. Heads above the factory/standard handguards IMO, just night and day. It partially shields my hands from the sides of the Ultimak, has more forward real estate, and is grippier and more secure feeling. It was slightly too beefy towards the rear and blocked the folding stock from latching. I had to do some very careful relieving with a Dremel and fine sanding drum but it now latches and looks just fine, to boot.

Only thing I might add to it is a BFG AK Vickers sling. The snap hook/d-ring on there now is marring the paint. But - BFD.

This is all just 'round the house feel and is totally subjective. I will actually shoot the thing...one day.

LOKNLOD
02-28-2016, 02:43 PM
I've reinstalled an Ultimak on my chopped SLR and put on a Magpul MOE hand guard. Eventually an Aimpoint will go on the Ultimak; I've used this setup before and it works fine. It's suboptimal - I would prefer an RS Regulate side mount - but I've already sunk the cost into this setup and, anyways, what's the point of an SBR with a folding stock if you can't fold the stock?

The AKM MOE handguard is great. Heads above the factory/standard handguards IMO, just night and day. It partially shields my hands from the sides of the Ultimak, has more forward real estate, and is grippier and more secure feeling. It was slightly too beefy towards the rear and blocked the folding stock from latching. I had to do some very careful relieving with a Dremel and fine sanding drum but it now latches and looks just fine, to boot.

Dadgumit, I'm going to have to chop mine one of these days.

TR675
02-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Dadgumit, I'm going to have to chop mine one of these days.

People have built empires in the time it took me between getting that stamp and getting it done...

BWT
02-28-2016, 06:47 PM
Anybody have experience with the ALG triggers?

Specifically trigger slap and trigger weight / length of pull?

It seems light but I haven't fired one either.

Years ago I tried the Tapco G2 just to get less/no trigger slap and now I have what feels like a light and creepy trigger.

God Bless,

Brandon

Hizzie
02-29-2016, 05:29 PM
SLG-

Tromix is ~1-1/8"

SLG
02-29-2016, 10:35 PM
SLG-

Tromix is ~1-1/8"

Cool, thanks. I'll have to get one.

SLG
03-04-2016, 08:22 PM
My Primary Arms AK scope arrived yesterday, adn i got it mounted in an RS regulate mount today. Have not shot it yet.

First impressions: Pros - scope is very well done for such a low price. Glass is good, features are excellent. Ruggedness, durability, fidelity and tracking are all still to be determined.

Cons - An AK with a scope like this is pretty heavy by M4 standards. It also pretty much requires a longer LOP stock, and a Warsaw length is almost certainly not going to work. Nato may be iffy too, IDK. I'm using the Zhukov for now and it is fine. If I was a Russian DM, I think a scope like this would be worth the weight, but as is, it really throws the balance and handling of the AK off. I'll have to see what i think after shooting it. I bought the cheap chinese made aluminum rings that PA offers with the scope. Good for what they are is my impression, but for a more accurate system, skip them.

GAP
03-05-2016, 10:43 AM
SLG - my thoughts too on weight.. IMO either go red dot or irons on an AK.

SLG
03-05-2016, 03:09 PM
SLG - my thoughts too on weight.. IMO either go red dot or irons on an AK.

I REALLY prefer magnified optics for GP use. However, weight and handling matters too. I've never really liked forward mounted rail optics, but a Midwest Industries forend with a dedicated RMR topcover is starting to look good:-)

The Aimpoint in the RS regulate mount is pretty awesome though.

Hizzie
03-05-2016, 04:12 PM
I REALLY prefer magnified optics for GP use. However, weight and handling matters too. I've never really liked forward mounted rail optics, but a Midwest Industries forend with a dedicated RMR topcover is starting to look good:-)

I didn't care for the MI/T1 combo. Ultimak is lower and you can choose a lower HG that isn't a heat sink.

SLG
03-05-2016, 04:59 PM
I didn't care for the MI/T1 combo. Ultimak is lower and you can choose a lower HG that isn't a heat sink.

Are the MI handguards no good then? I wouldn't dream of putting one on an AR, but for the AK, I thought it might be viable. Heat sinks are not good.

LOKNLOD
03-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Are the MI handguards no good then? I wouldn't dream of putting one on an AR, but for the AK, I thought it might be viable. Heat sinks are not good.

Curious about the MI as well. It makes sense that the aluminum lower handguard would pick up too much heat from the barrel, and I suppose if you have to layer covers over it it gets pretty fat to grip? Might be more workable with some of the slimmer Mlok/Keymod options? I've been tempted by the 30mm Aimpoint top cover since the micros are just too pricey for me in this particular application at this time...

Not relevant to this thread, but curious about the AR usage comment as well...had good luck with mine so far.

Hizzie
03-05-2016, 07:21 PM
I cannot put them in the No Good catagory. They are pretty solid. The barrel clamp is substantial and the sucker gets damn hot.

SLG
03-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Not relevant to this thread, but curious about the AR usage comment as well...had good luck with mine so far.

They're not what I would consider professional grade. Doesn't mean they're bad.

LOKNLOD
03-05-2016, 09:10 PM
They're not what I would consider professional grade. Doesn't mean they're bad.

Gotcha, no argument there. No butthurt brewing, was just curious if there was some horrendous fatal flaw I was overlooking.

SLG
03-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Gotcha, no argument there. No butthurt brewing, was just curious if there was some horrendous fatal flaw I was overlooking.

There is one major flaw that i am aware of. If you eat one of them, you will get an upset tummy.

LOKNLOD
03-05-2016, 10:57 PM
Well shoot, NOW you tell me.

So, about those AKs...

SLG
03-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Well shoot, NOW you tell me.

So, about those AKs...

I'm pretty sure they will upset your tummy too.

SLG
03-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Anyone have any experience with the side folders from Bone Steel? I'm thinking of getting one, as the Magpul seems pretty light duty.

Sigfan26
03-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Anyone have any experience with the side folders from Bone Steel? I'm thinking of getting one, as the Magpul seems pretty light duty.

I had a similar system from a company (from the looks of it, they're probably making these adapters for bonesteel). The lockup is tight... So tight that I have bruised my hand breaking the stock loose to fold it. Then I oiled the similar system... And I could slap the butt stock and make it fold. Only folders I've seen run like a raped ape: polish tantal, East German wire side folder, and the Magpul.

Malamute
03-06-2016, 06:57 PM
The wire sidefolders with the lever are simple to operate, and lock very well. The cheek weld isn't great, but otherwise they seem to work well. Sample of two or three in my case. I don't recall exactly, but think mine were Romanian. When shown an east German, it had a different internal spring.

The pushbutton latches don't seem as easy to operate. The lever is simple to work without looking at it, and the stock can be opened with the shooting hand raising quickly right off the grip, sliding the trigger finger between the stock and receiver and flipping the stock out.

The funny curve of the stock towards the butt plate allows the safety to be taken off with the stock folded.

Hizzie
03-06-2016, 07:25 PM
The EG/Rommy/Tantal stocks can be helped out a bit for a better cheek weld. AMD65-Tech replacement stock for AMD65 (as opposed to their bolt on riser).

GAP
03-06-2016, 07:45 PM

You'll get the same amount of co-witness with an RS as you would with an Ultimak.

The Midwest top cover sits too high to co-witness.. for me that's an automatic, no.

SLG
03-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Hizzie,

How do you like your AMD? They really appeal to me, but I have only messed with them a tiny bit.

What forend is on yours?

Hizzie
03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Hizzie,

How do you like your AMD? They really appeal to me, but I have only messed with them a tiny bit.

What forend is on yours?

LOVE IT!!! Light and obnoxious. I had chopped the HG retainer to mount one of the long MI handguards. It was so so. Saw the Carolina Shooters Supply "AR style" HG and knew it was what I wanted. Mine is a TGI build with original 12.5" barrel.

SLG
03-10-2016, 06:59 PM
LOVE IT!!! Light and obnoxious. I had chopped the HG retainer to mount one of the long MI handguards. It was so so. Saw the Carolina Shooters Supply "AR style" HG and knew it was what I wanted. Mine is a TGI build with original 12.5" barrel.

Cool. I can't seem to find that forend on their site, do you know if they still make it?

How hard was it to swap the AMD-65 Tech stock onto the gun? The bolt on cheekpiece doesn't appeal to me either.

Hizzie
03-11-2016, 12:41 AM
Cool. I can't seem to find that forend on their site, do you know if they still make it?

How hard was it to swap the AMD-65 Tech stock onto the gun? The bolt on cheekpiece doesn't appeal to me either.

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/CSS_Saiga_rifle_forearm_Ar_style_ventilated_VEPR_p/css-rifle-ar-slots.htm

Not hard. Fitting was just time consuming filing the locking surfaces. Kinda akward to hit. Really dig it though. No more jaw weld.

SLG
03-11-2016, 08:18 AM
http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/CSS_Saiga_rifle_forearm_Ar_style_ventilated_VEPR_p/css-rifle-ar-slots.htm

Not hard. Fitting was just time consuming filing the locking surfaces. Kinda akward to hit. Really dig it though. No more jaw weld.

Thanks! Didn't look in the Saiga area.

Would you say the stock is a do it yourself thing, or do you need to know what you're doing? I prefer to have pro's work on my guns, since I usually draw the line at swapping pistol grips and such.

Hizzie
03-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks! Didn't look in the Saiga area.

Would you say the stock is a do it yourself thing, or do you need to know what you're doing? I prefer to have pro's work on my guns, since I usually draw the line at swapping pistol grips and such.
Happy to help.

The saiga HG needs the HG retainer chopped off and a small hole drilled on bottom of receiver to bolt up. The front is a barrel clamp. Proper degreasing and loctite are necessary.

The stock requires:
Field stripping rifle
Unscrewing locking mechanism
Removing spring from bottom
Removing locking block from top
Drifting stock pivot pin up from bottom
Sliding out original stock
Slide in AMD65Tech stock
Reassemble and check engagement surfaces
If needed repeat disassembly and file engagement surfaces on stock
Rinse and repeat as necessary until engagement is satisfactory

The engagement surfaces on the stock are small and a PITA to file. I did take a few swipes of my bastard file to the locking block itself but left the angles alone.

Both jobs were relatively simple but time consuming. I don't consider myself especially skilled with tools.

If you don't care about the wire stock then Fostech Outdoors (the Bumpski guys) make an AMD65 adapter block that is ACE compatible. So fixed, folder or buffer tube is possible.

Example with Manticore Arms triangle stock and ACE hinge (not mine):

SLG
03-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks Hizzie, that doesn't sound too bad. Now to find an AMD at a decent price.

SLG
03-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Spent some time today shooting the Primary Arms 1-6. For the money, I think it is a good toy, but it doe shave some flaws when put on an AK.

The eye relief requires that I run my stock as far out as possible. If you have a very long stock, I guess that will work. I do not see how it can work with any normal AK stock. Obviously that is an issue on 6X, not on 1X. Even with the stock fully extended, it was not ideal. I mounted the scope as far forward as possible in the RS Regulate mount. The RS Regulate, BTW, is pretty awesome. AK style, but with 2016 manufacturing, function and quality. Hard not to like it.

The other issue is the weight. With the mount (which is pretty light) it adds 26 oz to the gun. That is a lot, afaic. "Normal" AK accuracy may not warrant a scope, though PID is still way better, as is whatever accuracy you may have. For me, since this is a fun gun, I will likey go back to an Aimpoint on the gun. We'll see. The nice thing about the RS Regulate is that (as Nyeti pointed out) I can keep the aimpoint on the gun, and have the PA scope in ready reserve in case I need or want it.

Also, my Circle 10 extended charging handle went missing today. I cranked it down as instructed, but did not loctite it, as I was not sure I was going to keep it on the gun. At some point during the first 60 rds, it flew off the gun and has not been seen since. The gun now has a hose on the charging handle, just like the picture of the Polytech up above. I was somewhat concerned about the weight of the thing, sicne it was on the charging handle, but after talking with a top AK smith today, I am convinced it should not be a problem on a properly gassed 7.62. He's not, however, a fan of them, and I can see why.

LittleLebowski
03-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Magnets and children for the missing charging handle.

SLG
03-11-2016, 10:35 PM
Magnets and children for the missing charging handle.

I think you're getting the worse end of the deal, but if I find the handle, that's fine, I'll trade you. You pay shipping.

LittleLebowski
03-12-2016, 08:49 AM
I think you're getting the worse end of the deal, but if I find the handle, that's fine, I'll trade you. You pay shipping.

Loaner, send the boy back when he's potty trained :D

SLG
03-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Loaner, send the boy back when he's potty trained :D

That's fine, as long as I can keep the magnets.

Lest I derail this thread too much, maybe you should send an AK for him as well. A nice one.

LittleLebowski
03-12-2016, 09:01 AM
That's fine, as long as I can keep the magnets.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03219/handshake1_3219777k.jpg

JSGlock34
03-12-2016, 12:27 PM
I just ordered some Zenitco handguards for my SLR107CR. I'll post some pics as this project comes together.

Keebsley
03-13-2016, 06:20 PM
If anyone is looking for some Bulgy triangle sidefolders, I have a stock and trunnion or two that I wouldn't mind clearing from my garage...

SLG
03-13-2016, 07:08 PM
If anyone is looking for some Bulgy triangle sidefolders, I have a stock and trunnion or two that I wouldn't mind clearing from my garage...

Yes please!

Keebsley
03-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Yes please!
Shoot me a PM and we can work out some details.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JSGlock34
03-16-2016, 06:42 PM
I just ordered some Zenitco handguards for my SLR107CR. I'll post some pics as this project comes together.

The Zenit hand guards look like a quality product but they won't drop into my SLR107CR without some fitting. Probably going to require the attention of someone more skilled than me in the gunsmith arts. Stay tuned but this will add to the timeline.

Hizzie
03-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Who loves loading magazines?

A little something I'll be trying out.

Wondering Beard
03-19-2016, 05:52 PM
7.62x35?

would that be 300 BLK?

Hizzie
03-19-2016, 06:44 PM
7.62x35?

would that be 300 BLK?

Indeed.

joshs
03-19-2016, 06:44 PM
7.62x35?

would that be 300 BLK?

Yes.

Hizzie
03-21-2016, 02:16 PM
So far Magpul AK mags (gen 2) and Chugo mags load with ease. I don't have 545 or any flavor of AR to test.

HCM
03-21-2016, 04:31 PM
So far Magpul AK mags (gen 2) and Chugo mags load with ease. I don't have 545 or any flavor of AR to test.

Link for these !

Hizzie
03-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Link for these !

http://podavach.com

HCM
03-21-2016, 06:25 PM
AR-15-to-Soviet Side Rail Adapter Spotted In Egypt

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/03/21/ar-15-to-soviet-side-rail-adapter-spotted-in-egypt/

Interesting - the article mentions it on an M16A4 - this might make sense on a fixed handle A2 if you have a bunch of soviet side rail optics.

Hizzie
03-24-2016, 01:25 PM
Hey SLG!

:cool:

Hizzie
04-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Podavach v5.4 doing its thing. Excuse the camera angle but I was using my iPhone, a wood clamp and vice for camera equipment.

http://youtu.be/6eglXjX0a50

HCM
04-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Interesting article regarding Police use of AK in the U.S.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/04/12/aks-among-u-s-police-departments/

Lon
04-12-2016, 10:02 PM
Interesting article regarding Police use of AK in the U.S.

I'd have no issue using a good AK as a patrol rifle. I love my -74. Thinking about getting a -47 of some sort as a promotion present for myself.

nalesq
04-13-2016, 10:29 AM
I'd like a more visible front sight. Does anyone make a decent fiber optic front sight for the AK? (I have been told that the one made by Hi Viz is rubbish.)

Hizzie
04-13-2016, 10:33 AM
I'd like a more visible front sight. Does anyone make a decent fiber optic front sight for the AK? (I have been told that the one made by Hi Viz is rubbish.)

Polenar Tactical sells one. It's wide.

1slow
04-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Not fiber optic but The XS vertical white stripe with tritium insert works very well for me. I do not like the Dot XS as am less able to align it precisely for elevation.

Malamute
04-13-2016, 11:13 AM

Theres always the bright orange paint/fingernail polish thing also. I used it on the front sight of a lever action that's carried in the evenings, it really stands out in dusk light.

nalesq
04-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Thanks!

Did either of you guys have to open up the existing rear sight to use the wider aftermarket front sights?

Malamute
04-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Thanks!

Did either of you guys have to open up the existing rear sight to use the wider aftermarket front sights?

I have just with the factory front.

nalesq
04-13-2016, 02:03 PM

For 22 €, I guess it's worth a try. Just ordered one.

That Guy
04-13-2016, 04:13 PM
The XS vertical white stripe with tritium insert

Dislike. The white is too glossy, on a bright winter day it is possible to lose sight of the entire front sight post due to glare.

Hizzie
04-13-2016, 06:43 PM
For 22 €, I guess it's worth a try. Just ordered one.

Pics when you get it!

1slow
04-13-2016, 11:38 PM
Thanks!

Yes, Used a file .100'' thick to file down into the notch. Notch ends up about .100'' wide.

Zero the gun first because.....

If you have a front sight that sits too far off to one side, you can do this widening more on one side so you can better center the front sight. Done this a bunch, worked well.

That Guy
04-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Did y'all just buy all their available stock? Site says out of stock on the fiber optic front sights.

Hizzie
04-15-2016, 01:23 AM
Did y'all just buy all their available stock? Site says out of stock on the fiber optic front sights.

I did not purchase one. They appeared too wide for my tastes. I am eyeballing some R4 "match" front sight posts.
The left one.

BillSWPA
04-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Be careful about putting a front sight that is too wide on a rifle. I have found that anything too wide will really mess up my accuracy.

warpedcamshaft
04-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Recently picked up an "Atlantic Arms QC-inspected WASR-10"

Everything is nice and straight... decently assembled compared to some of the ones I've seen in the past. Ugly furniture.

Slight elevation adjustment needed to sight in at 100, but windage was spot on. The included PMAGS are a bit loose, but have worked well in all positions... including being rested on in the prone position. I'll probably grab some polish steel magazines soon.

Had to bend safety lever to make it workable with middle finger.

I've been shooting it a bunch... at about 1000 rounds now. Ditching the compensator brought my 100 yard groups down to around the 3 inch mark (5 shot groups) with iron sights and ammo the gun "likes." Probably worth buying a scope mount, better muzzle device, and optic for it eventually.

I took a gamble and ended up with a pretty decent gun, especially for the money.

Hizzie
04-16-2016, 07:45 PM
For you guys not on IG. The new Sharp Bros/Rifle Dynamics collaboration:

Hizzie
05-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Front to back: Krebs Mk VI, Armacon Arms, Krebs Yugo

Tab size: Krebs vs Armacon

Hizzie
05-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Magpul 20 round Tanker mags.

Surf
05-27-2016, 03:44 AM
I would consider the Arsenal and the SGL or SLR series to be the 6920's of the AK world. At the minimum AK's can range from (these are only some examples) from say a Romanian, Maadi, then into middle ground WASR 10, N-PAP, AK63D. Crazy but the old Chinese made variants used to be dirt cheap but they are often very expensive now.

Then you can step up into Russian, Bulgarian or Polish. Of course much depends on the builder. Arsenal and DDI make great rifles. DDI probably squeezing about the lowest cost wise you can go for a decent rifle these days.

After this you step up into more custom builders and prices can go $2K plus.

This is my most commonly used AK rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpJ7jZaILY

SLG
05-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Nice gun Surf! How accurate is it?

Surf
05-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Pretty accurate for this rifle. I have only used irons, red dot and the day / night scope which is 2x max but obviously not the best with day clarity like a traditional scope. With this in mind shooting standard Wolf, Tula, Bear, I see around 1" @ 50, but when I move to 100 I am seeing about 2.5"-3". I plan on running a 1-6 LPV on another Regulate mount because the current day / night scope chews batteries. I am curious to shoot the rifle with a bit more magnification with some Hornady or Federal. Nothing that is keeping up with the M4 accuracy wise, but I have taken my last 2 hogs from ~150, one with irons and one with red dot with this rifle.

JSGlock34
12-13-2016, 11:26 PM
Interesting AKs in this video of Russian Spetsnaz (note there is some graphic footage from Syria). Fast forward to 2:35 and 7:26 if you're impatient. Looks like variations of the rifle detailed in the Vickers video (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?14745-Current-state-of-the-AK&p=406226&viewfull=1#post406226).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgkRcwxidbE

Here's a Washington Post article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/12/13/new-battlefield-video-shows-how-russias-elite-kso-military-unit-is-fighting-in-syria/?utm_term=.32bbf421f9da) about the video if anyone is interested. I'd be interested in reading a full translation of the video.

Dagga Boy
12-15-2016, 12:07 PM
I just grabbed another Arsenal SAM 7 SF yesterday for a steal due to "Hilary didn't win pricing". They have become a very much go to for me as a truck rifle figuring if I need a rifle for the vehicle, I need one that shoots through vehicles. I need to grab a bunch of magazines for it. Normally I run Circle Tens, and will likely just bite the bullet and order a 7 mag load out for the serious mags. I have a bunch of the Magpul MoE's for training mags that are easily replaced and I don't care if I destroy. I love my first SAM 7SF, so I was glad to be able to grab a second cheap and already have the RS Regulate mounts for an Aimpoint Micro (will get an H2).

Like the AUG, a well done AK can be a great tool for several roles. One of the benefits of retirement is I am not fixed on really having to use an AR for everything.

LockedBreech
12-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Sam-7 is one of my leading contenders, though I will likely go with Arsenal's SLR series.

1slow
12-15-2016, 03:42 PM
I have run a Arsenal 107FR for years. Ultimak gas tube / Aimpoint T1, BlueForce Sling, rear sight notch .100'' XS tritium stripe front sight.

I ran this through 6 Pat Rogers 3 day carbine classes and several other classes.

I am looking at the SAM 7 SF because of: 1) the ability to use the side mount for optics and still have the stock fold with optics mounted, 2) the possible accuracy increase.

MistWolf
12-15-2016, 05:56 PM
What about the Galil Ace?

Hizzie
12-15-2016, 08:25 PM
I have run a Arsenal 107FR for years. Ultimak gas tube / Aimpoint T1, BlueForce Sling, rear sight notch .100'' XS tritium stripe front sight.

I ran this through 6 Pat Rogers 3 day carbine classes and several other classes.

I am looking at the SAM 7 SF because of: 1) the ability to use the side mount for optics and still have the stock fold with optics mounted, 2) the possible accuracy increase.

The balance is different between the two. The SF also is a bit heftier. My pair of SF's (I had two before Darryl did :p) are the smoothest AK's I've handled, including a Rifle Dynamics 545 build.

I have not tried the XS front sight yet. How does it do at distance?

Dagga Boy
12-15-2016, 09:14 PM
The balance is different between the two. The SF also is a bit heftier. My pair of SF's (I had two before Darryl did :p) are the smoothest AK's I've handled, including a Rifle Dynamics 545 build.

Yea, but I saw it before you.....;). I was given a full run down on the SAM 7SF by the president of Arsenal USA before the gun was even released, and knew it was going to be wonderful. Everything I really wanted a Galil to be. When I finally sold some stuff (including a very expensive custom Galil in 7.62 x 39) to fund my first one, I was shocked that it was capable of .54 MOA accuracy. They are really smooth and they basically bring a Western European NATO standard to the AK. Combined with the RS Regulate stuff, it is simple done right. Like the AUG, these make great red dot/light/sling guns. If that is all you need, these are great options. Want lots of extra stuff...go AR.

I had kind of swore off anymore black guns, but the SAM was too good a deal to pass up. I have an AOR 1 special Vivckers sling coming from Blue Force Gear, and just need to get an Aimpoint H2 'mounted and it will be all good. I have a pretty rare AOR 1 Ak chest rig made by Eagle for an NSW asset that is pretty neat and will make a good grab and go means of holding 6 to 9 additional magazines. I am going to mess around with the PMAG AK MOE magazines and see how they perform.

Sigfan26
12-15-2016, 09:15 PM
What about the Galil Ace?

I like the looks of the .308. $2k 7.62x39 (before optics) leaves me wanting. I've handled the 7.62x39. Aside from easily mounting optics from the outset, I saw no reason to buy it over an Arsenal unless you wanted a truly turnkey 7.62x39 optics ready rifle.

Hizzie
12-15-2016, 09:22 PM
I've run the poly Magpul mags in two classes and bunch of range days. I ran the steel lined Magpuls at CSAT. So far so good.

MistWolf
12-15-2016, 09:49 PM
There's a Galil Ace pistol in 7.62x39 with brace for about $1600 at the LGS. The Ace isn't exactly how I want an AK, but it's closer than almost any other AK

Sigfan26
12-15-2016, 10:47 PM
There's a Galil Ace pistol in 7.62x39 with brace for about $1600 at the LGS. The Ace isn't exactly how I want an AK, but it's closer than almost any other AK

If you want it, buy it.

1slow
12-15-2016, 11:27 PM

Better than a Big Dot, 1.5-2 times a wide as a stock AK front sight. That is to fit the tritium stripe. Has 2 white lines with the tritium stripe in the middle.

masternave
03-21-2017, 03:12 PM
How many of y'all are choosing an AK as a primary work/HD gun and why?

Hizzie
03-21-2017, 05:42 PM
How many of y'all are choosing an AK as a primary work/HD gun and why?

I do. I don't enjoy AR's. I like shooting AK's. Much easier to maintain proficiency with something you are passionate about. I like 762x39. Originally my choice was based on cost since a decent AK was half the price of a 6920. Ammo was much cheaper too. Today costs are a wash.

Darryl has proven that with good ammo (Hornady SST) and a quality AK excellent accuracy can be had.

I ran an AK at CSAT and didn't drop a single rifle shot on the Scrambler. That was with cheap ammo.

Cool Breeze
03-21-2017, 06:34 PM
I still choose the AK. The reasons I originally chose the AK in 7.62x39 were:
1) For self defense I didn't think I needed a gun out past 200 yards,
2) Harder hitting caliber than 5.56 at close range,
3) Simplicity of choices. At the time (2010) when I when I had to make the choice I could make a quicker decision on what AK to get vs. what AR to get. ARs at the time seemed complex, varying levels of quality, finicky, etc. SO many brands, so many choices, my brain was going to explode. In 2010,for AKs you basically had two economical choices that were considered creme of the crop - a converted Saiga or an Arsenal Bulgarian SLR series. Both came with chrome lined hammer forged barrels.
4) Simplicity of operation - seemed more reliable at the time and if you got a malfunction, there were only 2 things you needed to know - 1- rack the bolt or 2 - remove mag, rack the bolt, put mag back in, rack again to chamber new round. No pile driving stocks, no putting fingers in the chamber to move things around, etc.
5) Cost - a top tier (not custom) AK with every mod I needed was cheaper than an AR. Bulgarian SLR-107F - Folding stock for small package, ultimak rail for optics, thread barrel for normal ak twist to accept .30 caliber flash hiders, parkerize and moly coat the gun (Arsenals were known for terrible finishes), add a krebs plate and I was done.
6) I lived in an apartment complex and didn't want people seeing me carry guns in an out through the lobby. I tossed my folding stock ak in a tennis bag and no problem. No law folder at the time.

Love the gun. Love using the gun.

That being said, I still want an AR for the following reasons -

1) Lighter overall package - my AK with Aimpoint T1 is heavy at least 8+ pounds. With the weight mostly forward it can get tiring. I would love something in the 6 to 7 pound range. Plus magazines and ammo are lighter too.
2) Caliber ballistics - although I haven't done that much research, I have a feeling for in the home an AK round will zip through walls like no one's business. It seems 5.56 is better for this if that is a concern to you.
3)Perception - it seems if I actually had to use it in a self defense scenario, a cop would look at an AR an "more likely" think everyone has an AR so whatever vs. who is this hillbilly guy with the Russian scary gun. In reality, it probably doesn't matter so I really don't know.
4)Modularity - need to mount an optic and cowitness irons, no problem. Need a new barrel...no problem. I still like that folding stocks on AKs are easy especially since Magpul and doesn't require a $200 plus law adapter but in reality a Magpul folding stock is about $100. So if folding stocks are important to you, what is $100 in the grand scheme of things.
5) Consensus that they are more accurate

Not being in the market for a long gun in awhile I really don't know much about cost and selection anymore...that probably has changed. That being said, I still think simplicity of operation and reliability are hallmarks of the AK that shouldn't be overlooked. I still hate the pleothora of AR options out there with little consensus on what is best or fighting worthy (and doesn't cost over $1500). Not sure what I would do today as I have been out of the long gun game for awhile. But that was my thought at the time. Hope it helps.

Cool Breeze
04-03-2017, 08:51 AM
If you are interested in getting an AK, the new Arsenal SLR-107-11 that Arsenal just released may be a good option. I think it is pretty perfect right out of the box. If you purchase it, any mods you do to it can be done at home. Probably, the only thing that still sucks about the gun is the finish but that is not a game changer. Two cool things I like about it are the standard rear trunion. AK enthusiasts love the original folding stock versions but it does limit you in what stocks you can use. This has a standard trunion and if you want a folder, you can get a Magpul and pop it on with no gunsmithing. You can also get a ar-15 stock adapter if you want something adjustable without folding - also no gunsmith needed. Additionally, this comes with the normal AK threads (14x1mm LH threads) so you can put any flashhider or muzzle break device on it. The originals didn't have threaded barrels but had a front sight base that extended over the end of the barrel that muzzle break was threaded to. There were threee downsides to this - 1) non standard threads at 24mm so you could only really use what came with it 2) weight savings - not only was the original muzzle device proprietary, but it was also HUGE so not only do you get weight savings by being able to use something standard but you also save weight by not having the extra metal of the front sight base extend over the barrel, and 3) if you wanted something different you needed to send the original to a gunsmith for threading.

If I had this option 7 years ago when I bought my SLR-107FR, I would have chose this new version instead. For 849.99 it seems like a good deal.

HCM
05-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Kalashnikov Concern – AK Modernization Kit Video

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/28/kalashnikov-concern-ak-modernization-kit/#comments

The folding stock with the cheek riser is interesting. The safety is very Krebs-ish.

http://youtu.be/lAjWlMlkPaU

Bigghoss
05-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Handguards need to be longer and the rail on the upper handguard could be lower. Unless they managed to put it at exactly the same height as the dustcover. Then it could allow AR sights if that's your thing.

I kinda prefer making use of the side rail on the AK but I guess if the railed dust cover holds zero then cool. Working on my M92 PAP pistol is annoying with the hinged dust cover.

The safety is perfection in my mind. I really like the Krebs safety but the BHO notch is stupid. And I don't like the location of the tab on the AKOU safety lever.

I'm not crazy about the stock but mainly just because of the looks. Form follows function.

Inkwell 41
05-29-2017, 07:48 PM
WBP Rogow is producing an enhanced safety and hinged Picatinny rail from the Beryl. The Rail appears to only be available in AK parts kit form here though....
http://armsofamerica.com/polishforgedtrunnionmodelwbpakm-47partskit762x39calwpolishmilitaryberylpicatinnyra ilsystemwhandguards.aspx

The safety lever is on Arms of America site as well. I don't own, or really know much about AK's, so I can't say if these are super duper parts or not.

JSGlock34
05-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Longer hand guards are available and in some use with specialized units, like the Zenitco used on the Alpha AK (pictured below, along with the Larry Vickers homage). I actually have one of these rails waiting to go on my SLR107CR...I haven't yet been able to bring myself to 'update' the AK...The railed dustcover is interesting, especially if it holds zero better than the original Texas Weapons Systems unit.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d9/2f/44/d92f445b47f8452d7de3dbfe59f8f878.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/95nLshO.jpg

Hizzie
06-16-2017, 11:34 AM
RS Regulate is now making an upper for their modular side rail specifically for the compact ACOG's.

p/BVYZ0h-jUM_

Hizzie
06-26-2017, 08:26 PM
p/BV0qLpAj2w3

p/BV0xDZ9jSoT

warpedcamshaft
06-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Magpul is shipping 5.45 AK mags... Between that and the fact that Hornady V-MAX 5.45 runs 20$ for 50 rounds now makes me want to dump my 7.62 and pick up a 5.45.

Bigghoss
06-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Magpul is shipping 5.45 AK mags... Between that and the fact that Hornady V-MAX 5.45 runs 20$ for 50 rounds now makes me want to dump my 7.62 and pick up a 5.45.

I would never dump 7.62x39 myself but I have been itching to try out a 5.45. Would love to get an Arsenal SLR104 and take the KISS approach with it. Ultimak gas tube with an Aimpoint, VLTOR light mount and a sling.

Hizzie
06-29-2017, 01:31 AM
I tried a buddy's 545 RD build. It was very nice but the recoil wasn't noticeably less than my 762 guns.

Hizzie
07-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Tip for anyone running an Aimpoint Pro in RS Regulate mounts.

p/BWnmFaKjaHr

Hizzie
09-16-2017, 01:58 AM
New option for running optics for guys without side mounts. AK Master Mount makes a steel bolt on side plate that replaces the FCG pins. Eliminates the need for a FCG retaining plate as well.

p/BZD5cTgDQXv