PDA

View Full Version : OK - OIS video released.

Shellback
01-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Body camera footage of OIS in Oklahoma. Link to 9 minute video here. (http://www.tulsaworldtv.com/WARNING-Graphic-content-The-complete-9-min-video-of-Muskogee-Police-video-of-officer-involved-shooting-28417963?vcid=28417963&freewheel=91468&sitesection=tulsa)

Oklahoma OIS article. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage2/muskogee-police-release-video-footage-of-officer-shooting-armed-man/article_fed8ff3e-847e-5c8b-b155-64c4332a6cdd.html)

Officer Chansey McMillin shot and killed 21-year-old Terence D. Walker on Jan. 17 after Walker allegedly ran from police who confronted him outside the Old Agency Baptist Church...

The video shows McMillin firing five shots at Walker after Walker stopped running and bent down to pick up an item he dropped. He's briefly turned toward the officer, who then fires his weapon. The shooting appears to be a split-second decision — in regular speed it's hard to tell if Walker was ever facing the officer, but when slowed down, Walker appears to turn toward McMillin, with the object in his hand pointed at him...

In the video, a responding officer retrieves an item from Walker's crumpled body and tosses it to the side, motioning for McMillin to pick it up. McMillin later states that it's a handgun, and another officer notes that it's loaded.

Six minutes into a video, the nearby church's pastor who had tried to attend to Walker's body immediately after the shooting, tells officers that McMillin "followed procedures ... he did everything right."

Hambo
01-23-2015, 06:01 PM
The shooting appears to be a split-second decision — in regular speed it's hard to tell if Walker was ever facing the officer, but when slowed down, Walker appears to turn toward McMillin, with the object in his hand pointed at him...

The officer didn't have the ability to slow down real life. He clearly states to bystanders before the search that Walker had a gun, and in fact, he did have a gun. Walker was making death threats before the officer got involved and had the ability to carry them out.

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/news/local_news/officer-shoots-kills-man-accused-of-threats-witnesses-say-officer/article_c662ebde-9ebe-11e4-93d4-7370d9e8d76c.html

Shellback
01-23-2015, 06:23 PM
I think his actions were appropriate and I would commend the pastor and those witnesses who came out in support of the officer.

Crusader8207
01-24-2015, 12:29 AM
This is another local shooting. The Tulsa news is doing their best to sensationalize it. I swear they are trying to incite riots here. It is clearly evident that the officer was justified.

John Hearne
01-24-2015, 11:36 AM
This is another local shooting. The Tulsa news is doing their best to sensationalize it. I swear they are trying to incite riots here. It is clearly evident that the officer was justified.

FIFY:
The Tulsa news is doing their best to boost their ratings.

GRV
01-24-2015, 12:25 PM
The video really captures the adrenaline dump and post-incident physical and mental state. Eye-opening. I hope this makes it's way around, as it may change the minds of a few people that would otherwise want to see this officer get the ax.

For the law enforcement here, could you talk a little bit about the realities of dealing with the sort of situation we see at ~1:30 where the shot suspect remains unsecured yet the officer is faced by an angry person not following commands, perhaps even an entire angry crowd? That was definitely the most nervous part of the video for me, as all I could think about was who from the crowd may be running up behind the officer to get revenge. Would it have made sense to get to the other side of the suspect, to keep everyone in view, or would the concern of flagging the crowd or having to reengage with innocents downrange outweigh that?

Chuck Haggard
01-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Subconsciously I think he stayed between the downed bad guy and the yelling people to be a sort of block, and they could subconsciously feel that line drawn in the sand, hence why the pastor was arguing with the officer.

It was a shit sandwich of a situation though, no perfect way to handle that aftermath, just degrees of how bad it sucked. The officer handled the entire mess rather well IMHO.

Paul
01-24-2015, 12:52 PM
This falls under one of my pet peeves, not waiting for cover......I know "cover" isn't a panacea, but start to finish that's a bad spot to be in by yourself.

This video really shows the benefits of POV body cams, a chest mounted camera probably would not have had the video clarity or field of view that was provided by this video.

jnc36rcpd
01-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Given the nature of the call, there is a less likely chance that the bad guy had accomplices or supporters in the crowd than in other circumstances. That said, the members of the crowd had to be considered potential threats. If he positioned himself on the other side of the suspect, he would have had a better visual to engage a threat from the crowd, but even less of a physical barrier to the minister or others approaching the suspect's body. If someone got to the suspect, he or she could have taken the gun (or an unseen other weapon) and assaulted the officer or just run off. Inevitably, they would have altered the crime scene, intentionally or not.

We've begun discussing staging for back-up on various calls. A second officer would have helped immensely here in controlling the suspect. If things had gone sideways as they did here, the officer would have been helpful in controlling the crowd and as a witness.

ronin0829
02-01-2015, 07:32 PM
I work in Tahlequah, which is about 30 miles to the east of Muskogee. On the Thursday night before this happened, the suspect was at the local club here. Usually after the club closes there is a police presence to get everyone to leave the area and to keep fights from happening. The suspect in the video was out in the street that night trying to get the crowd stirred up. He was yelling things like "F--- the Police", and being confrontational. Luckily no one wanted to be a part of his shenanigans and everyone dispersed.