PDA

View Full Version : Shield 9mm swap to no safety frame?

Sasage
01-23-2015, 12:50 PM
I currently own an older safety style Shield and have the opportunity to purchase a new NS shield on the cheap.

AFAIK, the only serialized portion is on the frame.

Can I put the old slide (with the sights I prefer) on the new frame without any function or legal issue?

I would rather not have to swap the sights out as it is a PITA on the M&P models with a punch. I had ATEi install them last time I was over that way but now live on the other side of the state.

23JAZ
01-23-2015, 03:05 PM
I currently own an older safety style Shield and have the opportunity to purchase a new NS shield on the cheap.

AFAIK, the only serialized portion is on the frame.

Can I put the old slide (with the sights I prefer) on the new frame without any function or legal issue?

I would rather not have to swap the sights out as it is a PITA on the M&P models with a punch. I had ATEi install them last time I was over that way but now live on the other side of the state.

I've done that with Glock 19s before and had no issues. But then again I've heard of people doing that then starting to have FTF and FTE issues. Then going back to the original configurations and having no problems again. I don't see why you couldn't do it to see if it will run good unless you live somewhere that has the serial number is on your CCP (like communist Illinois and Massholeville)

Sasage
01-23-2015, 06:20 PM
I don't carry it very often but spending $70 for two sight swaps or having to buy a new set of sights kind of makes me just keep the safety version.

lightning fast
01-23-2015, 06:27 PM
FWIW, you can easily disable the safety on the older models. There's a couple YT videos that walk you through it. (Should that be of any interest to you)