PDA

View Full Version : Keepers Concealment Errand

Jay Cunningham
01-22-2015, 04:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TGkmiZDl.jpg

Glock 42 - Cool idea, I quite frequently use it without a belt.

SouthNarc
01-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Works well with anything that has a drawstring like MMA shorts or sweatpants. I use mine to and fro from the gym.

EricM
01-22-2015, 11:10 PM
Nice, thanks for the pic. Any tips on drawing from a holster that rides that low? I have a FIST #1 for my PPS that rides about like that, haven't used it much as I haven't yet figured out a decent way to draw from it. After typing the question, I wonder whether it might be easier to draw without a belt as you're using it...I'd still been using my regular Atlas when I first tried it.

Can anyone compare the Errand with the Dark Star Gear low-profile AIWB with the clip? The type of clip used is obviously different, pros/cons to either? Plan to order one or the other soon.

Chuck Haggard
01-22-2015, 11:52 PM
My DSG has a very similar ride.

The secret to AIWB use when the holster rides low, IMHO, is to learn the draw where you lead with your thumb against your belly to guide your hand into place to get a good grip on the pistol.

SLG
01-23-2015, 03:26 AM
What he said^^^^^

Prdator
01-23-2015, 09:40 AM
I will be adding adjutament to the clip for ride hight and cant very soon. No matter how good I get it.. I'm alwasys looking for a way to imporve my holsters..

Thanks for the write up!!!

JHC
01-23-2015, 09:56 AM
My DSG has a very similar ride.

The secret to AIWB use when the holster rides low, IMHO, is to learn the draw where you lead with your thumb against your belly to guide your hand into place to get a good grip on the pistol.

YES YES YES! Been doing that for years with the FIST and more lately with the VG2. Just not a problem. IMO way too much weight is given to full firing grip as passed down from legends. I've shot my mid-5's FAST from FIST holsters as I have from OWB. IMO that's not a big problem.

camsdaddy
01-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Ive always had better luck with concealment with the lower riding holster. This is my main complaint with most of the AIWB holsters Ive found. Ive never had a problem with grip if I drive my thumb as stated.

Chuck Haggard
01-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Ive always had better luck with concealment with the lower riding holster. This is my main complaint with most of the AIWB holsters Ive found. Ive never had a problem with grip if I drive my thumb as stated.

Me too. AIWB only works for me if the holster rides low, especially on shorter guns.

Cecil Burch
01-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Can anyone compare the Errand with the Dark Star Gear low-profile AIWB with the clip? The type of clip used is obviously different, pros/cons to either? Plan to order one or the other soon.

I use both, and love both. Both of mine are for the same gun (a PPS).

The DSG clip is a bit more secure. I believe that in any kind of entangled struggle over the gun, the gun will come out long before the holster will. That metal thing just BITES INTO cloth, particularly cotton. The Errand is almost as good. And I have one of the early T & E models (I think I have the third or fourth one made), and while the clip grabs really well, on the later ones, Spencer has made that even stronger with a couple of little alterations. So the difference in the two is probably only theoretical.

The DSG lies just a bit more flat on the belt, but only by a little, and that may be purely personal for my build.

The Errand is a bit more comfortable and concealable ( but again, only by a small margin). I think both have to do with the extra length of the Errand, as well as the rounded closed end, and the bit of soft velcro on the end. It rides extremely comfortably regardless of clothing.

For myself, it is an embarrassment of riches. I love both and have no plans to give either one up. Especially since my DSG is in a fun color :)

Jay Cunningham
01-23-2015, 12:55 PM
l
I will be adding adjutament to the clip for ride hight and cant very soon. No matter how good I get it.. I'm alwasys looking for a way to imporve my holsters..

Thanks for the write up!!!

As I get more time with it I'll add additional thoughts. Nice job.

JHC
01-23-2015, 05:47 PM
I use both, and love both. Both of mine are for the same gun (a PPS).

The DSG clip is a bit more secure. I believe that in any kind of entangled struggle over the gun, the gun will come out long before the holster will. That metal thing just BITES INTO cloth, particularly cotton. The Errand is almost as good. And I have one of the early T & E models (I think I have the third or fourth one made), and while the clip grabs really well, on the later ones, Spencer has made that even stronger with a couple of little alterations. So the difference in the two is probably only theoretical.

The DSG lies just a bit more flat on the belt, but only by a little, and that may be purely personal for my build.

The Errand is a bit more comfortable and concealable ( but again, only by a small margin). I think both have to do with the extra length of the Errand, as well as the rounded closed end, and the bit of soft velcro on the end. It rides extremely comfortably regardless of clothing.

For myself, it is an embarrassment of riches. I love both and have no plans to give either one up. Especially since my DSG is in a fun color :)

Re the DS clip; visually it's similiar to the outstanding FIST clip. Both have that fish hook inside the clip. I've many years with the FIST. Love them. The DS clip is much much more aggressive in bite and hold. +1

EricM
01-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Just realized I never got back to this thread to thank Chuck and Cecil in particular for their very helpful answers on ride height and comparison with the similar DSG model, I appreciate it! That approach to drawing gave me a lot more confidence with my FIST (now just need to do the plastic bag trick to loosen it up a bit). Sounds like the only right answer may be to get both the Errand and the DSG, I'm happy to support guys who are doing good work and especially for some of the less common pistols like the PPS.

Prdator
01-31-2015, 11:35 AM
Just realized I never got back to this thread to thank Chuck and Cecil in particular for their very helpful answers on ride height and comparison with the similar DSG model, I appreciate it! That approach to drawing gave me a lot more confidence with my FIST (now just need to do the plastic bag trick to loosen it up a bit). Sounds like the only right answer may be to get both the Errand and the DSG, I'm happy to support guys who are doing good work and especially for some of the less common pistols like the PPS.

EricM,

If you look at DSG and my website you'll see that we both link to each other and a few other holster folks... not to speak for Tom but I know he'll agree. This isn't just about making $ it's about giving tools to folks so they can protect themselves and others.

MVS
01-31-2015, 11:46 AM
EricM,

If you look at DSG and my website you'll see that we both link to each other and a few other holster folks... not to speak for Tom but I know he'll agree. This isn't just about making $ it's about giving tools to folks so they can protect themselves and others.

Pressing the imaginary "like" button on this.

jeffx
02-25-2015, 08:57 PM
You had me at hello....just placed my order :cool:

Up1911Fan
03-18-2015, 11:31 PM
Any updates on this?

imp1295
03-19-2015, 05:52 AM
I'd also like to know if this was "Slim Fit" Green sweater concealable. If so, damn that was impressive.

Jay Cunningham
03-19-2015, 06:30 AM
I haven't had a lot of range time with it yet but I carry it quite a bit, and I'm still really happy with it.

Mr_White
03-19-2015, 01:00 PM
I got to try on an Errand and do a few draws with a PPS last night. Only used it for a couple minutes, but it was awesome!

JodyH
03-19-2015, 01:24 PM
I have one for my PPS and really like the idea, but there are two things about it that don't work for me. The belt hook doesn't fit my favorite Saddleback belt. The belt's too thick or the hook is too narrow.
The holster length is too long for me where I carry and how my pants ride. The very end of the holster jabs me in the upper inside of my thigh when seated.
I'll probably be putting it up in the garage sale section of the forum soon.

23JAZ
03-19-2015, 03:17 PM
I got to try on an Errand and do a few draws with a PPS last night. Only used it for a couple minutes, but it was awesome!

What is the appeal of this holster? I was under the impression it did not have any grip tuck features and could not be used with belts like the atlas belt because they are too thick for the clip. Not implying any thing negative about it just wanting more info.

Prdator
03-19-2015, 03:38 PM
I have one for my PPS and really like the idea, but there are two things about it that don't work for me. The belt hook doesn't fit my favorite Saddleback belt. The belt's too thick or the hook is too narrow.
The holster length is too long for me where I carry and how my pants ride. The very end of the holster jabs me in the upper inside of my thigh when seated.
I'll probably be putting it up in the garage sale section of the forum soon.

Jody,

How thick is that belt? Its worked fine on all the belts we have tried it on. The length of the holster is really what most people like about it. Ive got the clip with some ride hight and cant adjustment now I'd be glad to send one out to you and see if that helps and maybe address the belt issue to.

Prdator
03-19-2015, 03:44 PM
What is the appeal of this holster? I was under the impression it did not have any grip tuck features and could not be used with belts like the atlas belt because they are too thick for the clip. Not implying any thing negative about it just wanting more info.

The holster is designed as a quick on off holster for the small single stack guns. I has the velcro/foam feature of the "Keeper" and some ride hight and cant adjustment. The holster works with or Without a belt Huge for some, Im recovering from knee surgery and running around town in Sweats with a Shield in an Errand and a TI CP in our Clinch pick Sheath all with out a belt.

Here is link to some of the Videos I have made about the Errand, this might give you the info your looking for.
http://keepersconcealment.com/videos/

Thanks

Mr_White
03-19-2015, 03:51 PM

Like I said, I only spent a couple minutes with it. I didn't get far enough with it to start thinking about wedges/pads/grip tucking - probably also because it was for a PPS so it was really flat and compact already. I think what really differentiates it from the Keeper is that it is for a small, light gun, and attaches with an aggressive clip that allows it to be worn with pants w/o a belt. That's the context I was thinking about. Hopefully I am not mischaracterizing it.

Mr_White
03-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Doh, I see Spencer answered while I did. Glad to hear the answer from the source!

JodyH
03-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Jody,

How thick is that belt? Its worked fine on all the belts we have tried it on. The length of the holster is really what most people like about it. Ive got the clip with some ride hight and cant adjustment now I'd be glad to send one out to you and see if that helps and maybe address the belt issue to.
The Saddleback belt is 1.5" wide and 0.300" thick.
I also usually wear Duluth Firehose pants which have pretty heavy material doubled up at the waistband which adds to the problem.
It's an issue I've run into before with other clip style holsters.

Yea, most people prefer 17 or 19 length holsters for 26 sized pistols.
Sometimes they work for me, sometimes they don't so I've just started going with as short as possible and sticking with the low ride height.
Thanks for the clip offer but I think I'll let someone else try it out and see if it can find a happy home with another forum user.

Like I said, I really like the design idea and execution of the holster but it just doesn't work for me and my skinny, bony hips and low rider jeans.
:cool:

Jay Cunningham
03-19-2015, 03:54 PM
I almost never wear a belt with it.

JodyH
03-19-2015, 04:03 PM
I almost never wear a belt with it.
I wish I could go without a belt, but I'm pretty much a tall skinny inverted triangle from my shoulders to my feet and I need something to keep my pants up other than wishful thinking.
Even a Scandium J frame drags my shorts down unless I really tighten up the drawstring.

23JAZ
03-19-2015, 04:33 PM
The holster is designed as a quick on off holster for the small single stack guns. I has the velcro/foam feature of the "Keeper" and some ride hight and cant adjustment. The holster works with or Without a belt Huge for some, Im recovering from knee surgery and running around town in Sweats with a Shield in an Errand and a TI CP in our Clinch pick Sheath all with out a belt.

Here is link to some of the Videos I have made about the Errand, this might give you the info your looking for.
http://keepersconcealment.com/videos/

Thanks
Thank you Spencer.

SouthNarc
03-19-2015, 04:46 PM
I wish I could go without a belt, but I'm pretty much a tall skinny inverted triangle from my shoulders to my feet and I need something to keep my pants up other than wishful thinking.
Even a Scandium J frame drags my shorts down unless I really tighten up the drawstring.

Try it on a pair of MMA shorts with a drawstring.

Prdator
03-19-2015, 05:47 PM
What SN said... it really needs a draw cord of some type.. but with that it works like a champ!!

Prdator
03-28-2015, 11:59 AM
A nice video review of the Errand and Keeper. starts at the 20.00 min mark.

http://blog.shooting-performance.com/hardcore-hardware-knife-brous-blades-folder-the-keeper-holster-janich-special-project-vertx-edc-pack-klarus-xt-2c-light/

Irelander
02-15-2018, 09:19 AM
I picked up and Errand 2nd hand for my PPS Classic and I really like it. At first I thought it wasn't going to work for me since there is no claw or hard wedge to tuck the grip and when I added a foam wedge it became uncomfortable. I left it alone for a while and just tried it again this week. For some reason its really working well for me know. It might be that I have different jeans now that are a bit more baggy. Anyway, I'm really liking it and carrying my PPS a lot now which is great because I love the gun.

One question: Is there a supposed to be rubber spacers under the clip where it attaches to the holster? When I received the holster it did not have these and I figured it was something the previous owner removed for some reason. Most kydex holsters I have seen have some sort of spacer between the clip and the holster. I added some o-rings that I had laying around from other holsters and its been working great with a belt.

Prdator
02-15-2018, 10:50 AM
I picked up and Errand 2nd hand for my PPS Classic and I really like it. At first I thought it wasn't going to work for me since there is no claw or hard wedge to tuck the grip and when I added a foam wedge it became uncomfortable. I left it alone for a while and just tried it again this week. For some reason its really working well for me know. It might be that I have different jeans now that are a bit more baggy. Anyway, I'm really liking it and carrying my PPS a lot now which is great because I love the gun.

One question: Is there a supposed to be rubber spacers under the clip where it attaches to the holster? When I received the holster it did not have these and I figured it was something the previous owner removed for some reason. Most kydex holsters I have seen have some sort of spacer between the clip and the holster. I added some o-rings that I had laying around from other holsters and its been working great with a belt.

No, it does not come with anything under the clip as I think that weakens the attachment. But if its working for you great!! You hit on something most folks dont think on and I talk about in my AIWB skills classes that pant fit is critical for AIWB to work well they have to be loose enough for the gun to have room to fit.

Irelander
02-15-2018, 11:03 AM
No, it does not come with anything under the clip as I think that weakens the attachment. But if its working for you great!! You hit on something most folks dont think on and I talk about in my AIWB skills classes that pant fit is critical for AIWB to work well they have to be loose enough for the gun to have room to fit.

Thanks for the info. I'll try removing the spacers and see how it works.

I find that some low rise pants are tighter in the lower abdomen and don't have room for the muzzle end of longer holsters. This pushes the muzzle end in and causes discomfort and/or printing.

Prdator
02-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try removing the spacers and see how it works.

I find that some low rise pants are tighter in the lower abdomen and don't have room for the muzzle end of longer holsters. This pushes the muzzle end in and causes discomfort and/or printing.

YEP!!!!!

Irelander
02-15-2018, 03:33 PM
I'm digging the Errand sans belt.

Balisong
02-24-2018, 02:16 PM
YES YES YES! Been doing that for years with the FIST and more lately with the VG2. Just not a problem. IMO way too much weight is given to full firing grip as passed down from legends. I've shot my mid-5's FAST from FIST holsters as I have from OWB. IMO that's not a big problem.

I'm not sure I'm following this "drive the thumb" technique. Does anyone have a link to pics or video demonstrating this?

JHC
02-24-2018, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure I'm following this "drive the thumb" technique. Does anyone have a link to pics or video demonstrating this?

When I saw Craig Douglas's entangled draw thumb position I thought it illustrated it pretty well. Note, in his application he keeps it flagged for shooting in a retention position but you might get the gist of it. Not sure where to find that.