PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Light Help

JDM
08-07-2011, 09:58 PM
I carry the surefire LX2 Lumamax in my weak side back pocket with the pocket clip. I really really like the light. I like the UI, the size, the brightness etc. I hate the F*****g pocket clip. I've broken three of them since i bought the light in march. Surefire replaces them every time for free, but that is not the point. All three times I have broken the clip i have been doing different things. 1) Standing up from a chair, clip caught the back of the chair-Snap
2) Squeezing through a doorway-snap. 3) The damn thing broke when i was pulling it out of my pocket one time. Although i suspect that it had been previously stressed.

I want a Different pocket clip, and i come here for ideas.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa334/fatcook/photo.jpg

willowofwisp
08-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Tom Fineis of Raven concealment, had the same problem and he told me that he wrapped some electrical tape around the base of the clip, and after that clips went from lasting a short time to I think he said he's on the same clip for over 6 months. I wrapped my light and I have yet to break another clip.

ToddG
08-08-2011, 08:15 AM
FWIW, I gave up on flashlight clips a few years ago. My light now lives in my front weak hand pocket. It may be marginally slower to deploy but fast-draw of a light seems more "fantasy gunfight" than practical to me.

JDM
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
FWIW, I gave up on flashlight clips a few years ago. My light now lives in my front weak hand pocket. It may be marginally slower to deploy but fast-draw of a light seems more "fantasy gunfight" than practical to me.

I have a feeling that's where this is headed, in which case I need a smaller light. Dammit.

ToddG
08-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I have a feeling that's where this is headed, in which case I need a smaller light. Dammit.

My EDC light is a Quark 123 Tactical (no clip) (http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1653). Small, powerful, rugged enough for my use -- though except for some falls on concrete it's not like I'm HALOing with it or using it for warmth in my teepee -- and a good UI. I wish the tailcap was momentary rather than clicky but it's livable for now.

JDM
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I cannot believe that thing is only 60 bucks.

That little tidbit begs the question-how much of my surefire's price is the name, and how much is the flashlight?

JRas
08-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I cannot believe that thing is only 60 bucks.

That little tidbit begs the question-how much of my surefire's price is the name, and how much is the flashlight?

surefires quality is great, if not the best

JDM
08-08-2011, 11:40 AM
surefires quality is great, if not the best

Yes, they make a magnificent tool, but- does it warrant the cost of admission?

ToddG
08-08-2011, 01:41 PM
SureFire lights are probably the best in the industry in terms of durability and dependability. IF one of their lights has the right set of features for your needs, it's the right light for you and spending $50 more will be worth it over the life of the light.

If SureFire made a light that strobed as easily and intuitively as my Quark, I'd get one.

JDM
08-08-2011, 01:45 PM
SureFire lights are probably the best in the industry in terms of durability and dependability. IF one of their lights has the right set of features for your needs, it's the right light for you and spending $50 more will be worth it over the life of the light.

If SureFire made a light that strobed as easily and intuitively as my Quark, I'd get one.

Thank you. That's what i was getting at.

VolGrad
08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Not sure I've ever used a pocket clip on any of the lights I have owned. I found the SureFire E1B Backup to be perfect for my needs. It's redonkulously bright and still small enough to easily fit loose in a pocket without looking like I'm happy to see you. It has two light outputs as well ... no strobe.

Dropkick
08-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I'll throw this out there... I've got a Fenix TK12. It's got several brightness modes, and strobe, and pocket clip. Great light, but I'm not impressed with the pocket clip either. It's too tight to clip onto most things easily. It's probably a little too big for a pocket carry solution though.

Light is great though, and generally affordable as "tactical" lights go.

JDM
08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Not sure I've ever used a pocket clip on any of the lights I have owned. I found the SureFire E1B Backup to be perfect for my needs. It's redonkulously bright and still small enough to easily fit loose in a pocket without looking like I'm happy to see you. It has two light outputs as well ... no strobe.

I loved my e1b. Both times I had one. And I was sad. Both times I lost them. Too small.

Like I said, I really like the LX2. I just need to figure out a new clip.

JRas
08-08-2011, 06:04 PM

They need recharables and I'll buy a nice one.

JHC
08-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I've stopped using clips on folders and x10 for my Surefire. Pocket clipped kit just seems to hook on stuff and get flipped out too often.

willowofwisp
08-08-2011, 09:59 PM
It would be nice if Surefire made a titanium pocket clip, by far the most secure pocket clip I have used is the one on my Striders

gringop
08-09-2011, 12:14 PM
My EDC light is a Quark 123 Tactical (no clip) (http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1653). Small, powerful, rugged enough for my use -- though except for some falls on concrete it's not like I'm HALOing with it or using it for warmth in my teepee -- and a good UI. I wish the tailcap was momentary rather than clicky but it's livable for now.

You can improve the tailcap switch by taking a empty piece of .40 cal brass and cutting it to make a 1/4" long brass cylinder.
Clean up the ends so they are not sharp edged. Dis-assemble the tailcap and put the brass inside the rubber tailcap button. Re-assemble and now you have a tailcap that is easy to push to momentary but requires much more force to click to lock on.

This has been working well for me through 3 months of daily use. Well worth the use of a dremel and 10 min of screwing and unscrewing.

This is not my original idea, I read it on TPI.

Gringop

vcdgrips
08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I have a Surefire Z2-s though I have yet to deploy the light. It strobes when you you manually stobe the switch 3x w/i one second and will continue until you let off the tailcap as it is not a clickie. It resets to a standard light unless and until you "strobe" it yourself.

http://www.surefire.com/Z2-S-LED. retail is 145.00.

Surefire recently discontinued the A2-s which strobes as above but has a two setting switch, a little pressure gets you 35 lumens, press all the way and you get 150 lumens. I do not know why they discontiued it.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefire-az2-combat-light.html On sale at 159 from about 265.00

Both of these lights seem relatively easy to strobe given their interfaces. If I did not already have the Z2, My EDC of a G2 ( 200 lumen drop in/Novatac belt clip and an Isabella Designs Tactical Retention Ring) , an E1B (great size, sucky switching btw) and an old Gladius on my war belt, I would like to give the A2-s a try.

YMMV,
David

peterb
08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Might be worth asking the flashlight enthusiasts over at the Candlepower Forum: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

ToddG
08-09-2011, 02:52 PM
The problem with the SureFire setup is that if, under stress, you click it twice or four times, you get no strobe. No thanks.

Dropkick
08-09-2011, 04:04 PM
You can improve the tailcap switch by taking a empty piece of .40 cal brass and cutting it to make a 1/4" long brass cylinder.
Clean up the ends so they are not sharp edged. Dis-assemble the tailcap and put the brass inside the rubber tailcap button. Re-assemble and now you have a tailcap that is easy to push to momentary but requires much more force to click to lock on.

This has been working well for me through 3 months of daily use. Well worth the use of a dremel and 10 min of screwing and unscrewing.

This is not my original idea, I read it on TPI.

Gringop

That's the coolest stuff I've heard all day.

SmokeJumper
08-09-2011, 11:30 PM
SureFire makes great lights, but I too go through a few pocket clips a year and I think they get tired of me calling for replacements. I bought and am carrying an HDS Tactical and have not busted the clip on this one with pocket carry. The clip is a thicker material than the SF's.
http://hdssystems.com/?id=Home

Also, someone mentioned that you can find some aftermarket clips for lights, but I can't recall where. Seems like they might have mentioned the guys at the link below, but not certain.
http://www.oveready.com/index.php