PDA

View Full Version : Newb accuracy questions

Luke
01-18-2015, 07:14 PM
I'm trying to maximize my time and ammo so I thought I'd ask to see what the proper way is!

My accuracy sucks. whwn trying to improve this should I focus on slow fire? Or should I focus on drawing and pressing out and making a good shot (taking it slow and not rushing). I've been doing both. But will slow fire translate into accuracy from the holster? I hope this makes sense and I did try to search, I am 110% sure this has been asked I just cannot find it.

So! Load her up, draw, press, shoot nice and slow, re holster and start all over?

Or! Draw and make nice slow shots?

Which one will help more when trying to get good acuracy out of the holster?

Malamute
01-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Are you satisfied with your general accuracy when no holster is part of the equation?

If you haven't, I'd suggest getting the main shooting fundamentals down before trying to work from a holster, but thats just my opinion.

Jay Cunningham
01-18-2015, 07:39 PM
What do you mean when you say your accuracy sucks?

ASH556
01-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Are you satisfied with your general accuracy when no holster is part of the equation?

If you haven't, I'd suggest getting the main shooting fundamentals down before trying to work from a holster, but thats just my opinion.
For what it's worth, I agree with this. You need to learn what accuracy looks and feels like before adding the complexity of the draw to the equation. You shoud still practice presentations from the holster if you are carrying a gun every day (LEO, CCW, etc) but I think your accuracy will improve faster if you focus on the fundamentals and establish a solid foundation.

RJ
01-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Fellow noob here. Bear in mind I'm not 100% clear you are target shooting, drawing from a holster, or both. Apologies in advance if I'm off base. Please clarify if so.

Anyways, I started summer of '13. Only shot 2,200+ rounds so far, but here's my perspective.

1) First focus on a good solid grip. Read this forum, watch some good youtube, pay for some advice, etc. I use a modern two handed iso.

2) Next learn to recognize a good sight picture, focusing on the front sight. Again, threads here, online advice, or a training class. I use a bullseye hold in which the tops of the front sights bisect the bull of an NRA B-8 target.

3) Develop a good trigger press. This will include learning what a good press involves. This will be somewhat OJT. I sometimes use snap-caps mixed into random magazines to avoid a flinch. I also use the Dry Fire exercises I've found on this forum. Many many dry fires to every range session. Like, a ratio of 50 dry fires to 1 live round.

4) Don't load that many rounds at first. Load three rounds, set up the target at 3 yards. Shoot them, slowly. Did your rounds center through one ragged hole?

If not, use things like Shooter's wheels to diagnose the problem. As a lefty, I shot low and right. I was 'pre-flinching' the gun. (I've started doubling up on ear protection (plugs AND muffs) at the range.)

Once you have three shots through one ragged hole at 9 feet, move out to 21 feet. Maybe increase the round count to 5. Rinse, repeat, until you can get five rounds into 1", centered on the bull.

After that, move out to 25 yards, looking for 4" groups, or less.

Note: none of this involves holstering/reholstering. For this, I'd suggest taking a basic introduction to USPSA or IDPA competition. If you get some good instruction, you can use these competitions to practice enhancing speed and accuracy.

Those are my 0.02. Lot of very knowledgeable folks on this forum. I look forward to their thoughts on your question. Good luck.

Rich in Tampa

Luke
01-18-2015, 09:19 PM
I do lots of dry fire, lots of love fire, slow and out of the holster. I also double up on the plugs to help with flinchin. I can stay in a 10" circle at 25. Can put most in a ~6 at 25 with a couple fliers or a couple really close. It's been a minute since I shot dot torture but was usually in between 40-45 at 5 yards ( did not shoot ANY weak hand only, have bad arms and can't shoot weak hand only) I shot a high 6 second fast today clean but usually in the 7's unless I really mess up a reload. I feel like I have a good grip and decent trigger press. Deffinatley need to work on flinching, I shot some from 25 today and they were all low and left ~6". My splits on the FAST on the 8" circle were averaging around .18-.20 so I feel like I'm tracking the sight OK. I have factory 3 dot sights and I feel replacing them soon will help a lot.

I just want to be more precise and don't know how I should train to be more precise. I don't want to be good at slow fire and not be able to draw and shoot accurately. I ultimately want to compete in uspsa and/or idpa. I also CC every single day so fast draw with accuracy is good too.

Luke
01-18-2015, 09:25 PM
I re read what I just wrote. Kinda makes it seem like I'm better than what I am. Keep in mind I will do a 10 second fast and score just about half on dot torture as well lol

45dotACP
01-18-2015, 10:39 PM
I'd recommend taking a class. While I get nice tips on stuff from the internet, I find that nothing beats having someone knowledgeable and patient see you shoot.

Luke
01-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Took my first class a few days ago. Already signed up for 4 more classes, so deffinatley seeking professional help!

Malamute
01-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Deffinatley need to work on flinching, I shot some from 25 today and they were all low and left ~6".

I just want to be more precise and don't know how I should train to be more precise. I don't want to be good at slow fire and not be able to draw and shoot accurately.

Do you have a good 22 pistol? 500 or 1000 rds of 22 helped clean up a flinch for me a number of times. Thousands of rounds of rimfire helps keep you tuned up no matter. I've found it helps my centerfire shooting quite a lot, and its relatively cheap.

If you want to be better at precision shooting, I'd focus on it for a while. You seem to have enough grasp on the draw to be functional.

Luke
01-18-2015, 11:24 PM
I've wanted a .22 pistol for a while now. But between hearings some of the cons of .22 training plus not having a .22 model pistol that's the same as what I shoot, I've just been scared to get one. I've got some snap caps I use. But today I tried empty casing and my vp9 actually feeds empty cases very smooth. So I was just loading empties and regulars.

Luke
01-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Well I decided I wanted to black out the rears and paint the front with pink nail polish.. It helped. A METRIC FUCKLOAD!!

On the 3x5 index car (pic below) I drew and fired 5 shots from 7 yards as fast as I could while still aiming and not just randomly pulling the trigger. No shot timer because I use my phone and it's not loud so it has to be held by my ear and I was alone.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/Mobile%20Uploads/7235C251-440C-4C97-AA95-E7883CB8C31B_zps0p5ao87m.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/7235C251-440C-4C97-AA95-E7883CB8C31B_zps0p5ao87m.jpg.html)

The next is slow fire from I think is about 12 yards (don't have the spot I was shooting from measured out) this was 5 shots slow fire (the round outside the square is not apart of this group) I'm very happy with the progress I've made just by painting the sights. Now I know for sure what sights I want!!!!

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/Mobile%20Uploads/6648DA35-E729-4855-B6A6-B57698824E54_zpse7mybmwg.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6648DA35-E729-4855-B6A6-B57698824E54_zpse7mybmwg.jpg.html)

RJ
01-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Good shooting.

That trash can looks DOA. :)

Luke
01-19-2015, 03:59 PM
It's actually a dryer lol. Got the wife new washer and dryer and cut up the boxes to look like idpa silhouettes

45dotACP
01-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Nothing wrong with those groups! I'd be getting my butt over to the nearest IDPA or USPSA competition if I was you.

It provides for one heck of a learning experience and you'll learn a lot about your own practical accuracy too.

Plus it's fun as all hell :D

Luke
01-19-2015, 09:11 PM
That's what I want to do. I THINKS there is a local match to me (bham Alabama) but I need to call and make sure. I really wanna compete just to see how bad I really do suck. I need to work on my draw and reloads a lot. Plus work on everything else. Right now I'm trying to figure out if im going to sling shot the slide on reloads or focus moving my thumb over ontop of my support hand to keep from hiring the slide release and reload with a slide lock lever. I feel like if I went in front of people all my issues would multiply by 1000. I shoot pretty damn good (for me) by myself, even with a buddy shooting I notice a difference. Add in other people and aomebody "keeping score" and I'm pretty sure I'd drop the gun and forget how to use it.