PDA

View Full Version : housing and magwell guide for Kimber Custom ll

glockarmorer
08-07-2011, 12:46 PM
want to install a magwell guide ( not the big race gun type ) but more like the S&A I have on my springfield.

Can I buy a guide and housing (S&A) and just swap out the spring and cup ........ or, since I have a firing pin safety, will I need to go to a different spring and cup? I don't want the one that just under the grip and screws. I want a one piece mag well guide. Thanks, I'll eventually get this Kimber the way I want it, but I sure do not want to ever work with the people at Kimber again. 8 weeks to fix a FTF and FTE ,,,,, ridiculous

SecondsCount
08-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Your spring and cup should fit the new one. The firing pin safety components are in the slide and trigger group, not the mainspring housing.

1911 Pro (http://1911pro.com/forum/index.php) is a good forum with professional level gunsmiths in case you need more info.

Al T.
08-07-2011, 06:40 PM
GA, one thing to note with the S&A is that if your Kimber has the angled cuts on the magazine well lips, a guide with angled cuts can trap a flat base magazine. Two ways to solve this, first use only magazines with base pads, second, file down the magazine guide's inner cuts to a steeper angle so that you don't get the "double angle gap".