PDA

View Full Version : SKD PIG or Mayflower APC?

witchking777
01-17-2015, 02:46 AM
All answers welcome

HopetonBrown
01-17-2015, 05:00 AM
Application? PSD in AFG or airsoft on your grandpa's farm.

From my Motorola StarTAC.

johncorey
01-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Both are legit brands. Have you already down selected to those two models from a wider panel, or not?

Two other very solid brands with great offerings are First Spear and Blue Force Gear. I have settled on BFGs Plateminus V2. Used it in hard and soft settings in Afghanistan recently. My initial reservations about the material holding up were unfounded. An absolute amazing piece of kit. Easy to scale up or down as needed. Definitely worth a look.

witchking777
01-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Application? PSD in AFG or airsoft on your grandpa's farm.

From my Motorola StarTAC.

Lmao try SHTF and training courses

witchking777
01-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Both are legit brands. Have you already down selected to those two models from a wider panel, or not?

Two other very solid brands with great offerings are First Spear and Blue Force Gear. I have settled on BFGs Plateminus V2. Used it in hard and soft settings in Afghanistan recently. My initial reservations about the material holding up were unfounded. An absolute amazing piece of kit. Easy to scale up or down as needed. Definitely worth a look.

Yes I narrowed it down to these two based on reviews,also the Tactical Tailor Fight Lite

Kyle Reese
01-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Lmao try SHTF and training courses

Both brands fit the bill.

Chris Rhines
01-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Lmao try SHTF and training courses For training courses, I've always stuck a couple of Kydex mag pouches on my belt. Never had any trouble keeping up.

Sensei
01-18-2015, 11:50 PM
I was faced with the same decision and went with the Mayflower LPAC. I can wear it under my scrubs and white coat with just the Velocity Systems Concealment Cut Soft Armor Panels and none of my coworkers can see it. When plates are needed, I go with the Velocity Systems P34 which are very comfortable. The Mayflower UW Gen IV chest rig gets added with SwiftClips when I need to carry gear.

rob_s
01-19-2015, 05:51 AM
For training courses, I've always stuck a couple of Kydex mag pouches on my belt. Never had any trouble keeping up.

Most shoot-house classes will require hard and soft armor. That's why I bought my Mayflower rig.

If I were buying today, I'd be getting one of these.
http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17822&cat=315&page=1

ffhounddog
01-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Wow Rob, 9 pounds per plate? Thats not bad for a grab and go. Looks like that kit is sewed up so its Steel plates and poly plates.

I have only used the Mayflower and iys good kit. I am sure the Pig is good as well just from the way skd makes their gear.

rob_s
01-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Wow Rob, 9 pounds per plate? Thats not bad for a grab and go. Looks like that kit is sewed up so its Steel plates and poly plates.

My only complaint on that rig is that I wish the med or radio pouch (it can be had either way) was on the right-hand side and the two mags on the left-hand side. But if we establish that we're going to either (a) probably not need a spare mag or (b) have an emergency mag on a belt or in a pocket or (c) have a Redimag on a "home defense" gun (my personal preference), then having the mags on the off-side probably don't matter.

I stumbled across that rig recently, and from a civy/homeowner/shoot-house standpoint it looks ideal to me.

If they had the pouches set up the way I would prefer them, and they would sell to non-badged folks, I'd spring for the $1k rig with the 3.5 lbs plates Level III Standalone and sell off my current Mayflower rig.

ffhounddog
01-19-2015, 08:14 AM
It is seems great piece and need to remember sometimes having Armor is better than no armor like home invasion stuff.

rob_s
01-19-2015, 09:31 AM
It is seems great piece and need to remember sometimes having Armor is better than no armor like home invasion stuff.

Since I do happen to have armor, I keep it staged in the bedroom. I have never once put it on in an emergency, but I know how to. I would not, however, buy armor just for that purpose. I keep my Mayflower slick (see above re: redimag on gun) but the design of the Mayflower vs. the First-On would make it much more difficult to put on with the chest rig attached (onthe Mayflower I'd have to lift bib, secure velcro, drop bib, secure back strap).

Sensei
01-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Since I do happen to have armor, I keep it staged in the bedroom. I have never once put it on in an emergency, but I know how to. I would not, however, buy armor just for that purpose. I keep my Mayflower slick (see above re: redimag on gun) but the design of the Mayflower vs. the First-On would make it much more difficult to put on with the chest rig attached (onthe Mayflower I'd have to lift bib, secure velcro, drop bib, secure back strap).

Like you, I keep my Mayflower LPAC staged with plates in my bedroom closet on a mannequin torso without the chest rig attached. I can don the carrier in about 10 seconds which involves fastening the elastic cummerbund. Things get a bit more complicated if I'm using the chest rig which I would rarely need in my home.

Either way, there are a lot of great options for the OP and everything mentioned in this thread is reasonable. If possible, I highly recommend that you try some on before investing in armor, especially if you are between sizes.

Paul
01-19-2015, 11:12 AM
What kind of plates are you using?

Probably neither. IMO both a impractical for 99% of non-military uses.

I used to carry a PIG plate carrier at work and hardly ever used it. The cummerbund and flap setup just takes too long to get on. I ended up selling it and buying an SKD Brigadine plate carrier and I've actually deployed it on for hot calls. One carrier is about as hard to put on as a wind breaker and needs one hand to secure, the requires two hands, a timeout and is a major PITA. Sometimes simpler is betterer.

Sensei
01-19-2015, 04:22 PM
I use the Velocity Systems P34 Triple Curve (ICW) over their concealment cut soft armor backers. I typically store my armor with the elastic cummerbund attached for rapid don/doff, but I have an extra MOLLE cummerbund for times that I need a chest rig. This setup is not cheap but it meets my needs of 1) concealment, 2) scaleable protection from Level IIIa up to IV with chest rig if needed, 3) durability, 4) comfort