PDA

View Full Version : 300 Win Mags

Mitch
01-15-2015, 01:20 AM
I don't know why, but I'm oddly fascinated with this round. I've never shot one, but I have some time behind a friend's 30-06 bolt gun (light weight hunting barrel). I love the 300's ballistics, it's flat shooting and on paper it looks like it handles wind well. The obvious downsides are it's a barrel burner, it's a powder hog, and recoil I suppose.

I just got a bonus and I think it's time that I add a bolt gun to my safe, and I've pretty much decided on a heavy barreled Remington 700. This is really just going to be a fun gun, I can't even stretch for a practical application for it, and I'm completely okay with that. The smart side of me says a 308 makes more sense (cheaper to reload, much longer barrel life), but the 300 just sounds fun.

Can someone with experience behind a 300 or a 308 bolt gun talk me into (or out of) one or the other?

Lester Polfus
01-15-2015, 01:43 AM
I've shot and owned both. You pretty well articulated the pro's and cons of this decision. About the only thing I have to add is that if you have a reloading press you can download the .300 Win Mag into .308 territory, but you can only upload the .308 into .300 Win mag once....

Having said that, I only own a .308 these days. I didn't shoot enough to find out, but my understanding is throat erosion is less of an issue with modern barrel steel than what it used to be, although you'll still wear out a .300 barrel quicker than a .308.

dbateman
01-15-2015, 01:53 AM
308 is a good all round chambering.

They have good barrel life bolt guns chambered in 308 tend to run up around the 10k rounds or so before needing a new tube.
So it's a good choice for someone who is going to be practicing a lot. It's quite capable of running out to 1K for steel or paper.

The 308 is also a good round for hunting.

I spend more time behind a 308 than any other cal. It's easy to load for, components are cheap.

The 300 is a different kettle of fish.
I wouldn't say a 300wm is a barrel burner with a decent barrel you'll get upwards of 2500 rounds out of a barrel.
If you are looking to shoot out past 1K I like the 300wm it is a pretty cheap way to get into longer range stuff.
That being said if I were looking to run out past 1K I probably wouldn't be doing it with a off the shelf Rem. Not in 2015 anyway.

If you have the room to shoot a 300win mag I'd get one even if all you're doing is playing on steel.

SLG
01-15-2015, 06:23 AM
I love the 300. Too many variables to discuss in a quick post, but since you admit you just want it, go for it. Unless you're using a can, the best muzzle break ever made is by Jarod at American Precision Arms. Takes ALL of the recoil away. If you decide that a factory 700 won't do it for you, get Jarod to build you a gun. He built my 300, and it is the most accurate rifle I own. Also loads of fun to use.

BLR
01-15-2015, 07:27 AM
The 300WM is a nice round to be sure, and one of my favorites.

That said, if you are going down the 300 mag rabbit hole, I'd suggest looking at the 308 Norma. It's generally considered a superior LR round as a result of the neck dimensions.

And you should be able to get more than 2500 rounds through a bbl, even a nice target bbl. I have a buddy who has a 220 Swift that has 4800 rounds through the bbl (it is a 40x), and it will still print in the 5s consistently.

GJM
01-15-2015, 07:39 AM
In the last year, Jim Brockman built me a lightweight .300 on a pre 64 action. It is a joy to hunt with, while still having modest recoil and outstanding accuracy. I have fired two shots on game, both using 180 Barnes factory ammo, and harvested a mule deer at 200 something and a moose at 300 something. It is light enough to take sheep hunting and powerful enough to stop a grizzly. I have a renewed appreciation for .300WM!

rifleshooter
01-15-2015, 06:37 PM
I have a 300 win mag precision rifle I built on a stiller action, AICS AX 2.0, and Bartlein M40 contour. It shoots well and the brake tames the recoil, however, since it isn't a hunting rifle I don't see a need for it. I can shoot a 6x47 Lapua or 6.5x47 Lapua and get equal ballistics with almost no recoil, plus they don't use much powder. So if you want to bang away at steel or paper, I would do something else.
http://rifleshooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/custom-300-win-mag-and-target.jpg

That is a 5-shot group at 100 yards, 1st day out.

Mitch
01-16-2015, 02:12 AM
308 is a good all round chambering.

They have good barrel life bolt guns chambered in 308 tend to run up around the 10k rounds or so before needing a new tube.
So it's a good choice for someone who is going to be practicing a lot. It's quite capable of running out to 1K for steel or paper.

The 308 is also a good round for hunting.

I spend more time behind a 308 than any other cal. It's easy to load for, components are cheap.

The 300 is a different kettle of fish.
I wouldn't say a 300wm is a barrel burner with a decent barrel you'll get upwards of 2500 rounds out of a barrel.
If you are looking to shoot out past 1K I like the 300wm it is a pretty cheap way to get into longer range stuff.
That being said if I were looking to run out past 1K I probably wouldn't be doing it with a off the shelf Rem. Not in 2015 anyway.

If you have the room to shoot a 300win mag I'd get one even if all you're doing is playing on steel.

Can you elaborate a little more about the 1000 yards? What would you prefer for that? There's a range within driving distance that I could go out to 1000 yards, but if I could just whack a steel plate at that distance I'd be more than happy. I've only shot out to 300 as of now, though, so I shouldn't get too ahead of myself.

dbateman
01-16-2015, 04:54 AM
Can you elaborate a little more about the 1000 yards? What would you prefer for that? There's a range within driving distance that I could go out to 1000 yards, but if I could just whack a steel plate at that distance I'd be more than happy. I've only shot out to 300 as of now, though, so I shouldn't get too ahead of myself.

For out to 1000yds steel or paper I typically just shoot a 308. But a major part of that comes down to me being set up very well for that round.

The 300wm impresses me a lot, it is quite an underrated round.

I'd recommend you find someone who will let you have a shoot out of both if you haven't shot them both already.