PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a Colt DA Revolver: Bad Idea ?

SamAdams
01-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Hello everyone - I confess - I like wheel guns :) I know about their disadvantages, but sometimes carry a revolver as my concealed carry piece.

I've never owned a Colt double action revolver, though I really appreciate the ones I have had the opportunity to examine. I've always wanted one. At this point, I'm not looking to buy guns for strictly collecting, however. They need to be a viable carry gun - even if such use would be occasional. I have the opportunity to get a Colt Diamondback or Lawman Mk III. (I understand the Mk III action is not as delicate as the former, but less refined. This reflects my own experience handling the two guns.) Does poor parts availability and lack of qualified gunsmiths make these revolvers a 'No Go' as carry guns ? How do the two Colts I mentioned above compare to one another in this regard ?

I look forward to hearing your opinions on this. Thank you -

LSP972
01-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Lots of qualified folks use Colt revolvers; but the ones I know of are all older examples (the users as well as the revolvers ;) ) with years of use... i.e., proven.

Colt wheel guns are, generally, quite a bit more finicky than Smiths or Rugers and tend to need more attention if shot a lot... and the number of truly competent Colt revolver mechanics in this country can, these days, probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Just food for thought...

theJanitor
01-13-2015, 12:14 PM
I scored an unfired police positive a few years back, and had Frank Glenn give it the once over, shorten the barrel, regulate the front sight, etc. He said the action was solid, and needed no work for the low volume shooting it will see. The colt action feels great to this revolver novice, and it carries really well, IWB. It's a little chubbier in the pocket due to the cylinder and I didn't bob the hammer so it rarely sees pocket time.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7144/6755387269_aa0a523a7f_z.jpg

jetfire
01-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Lots of qualified folks use Colt revolvers; but the ones I know of are all older examples (the users as well as the revolvers ;) ) with years of use... i.e., proven.

Colt wheel guns are, generally, quite a bit more finicky than Smiths or Rugers and tend to need more attention if shot a lot... and the number of truly competent Colt revolver mechanics in this country can, these days, probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Just food for thought...

I concur that the biggest problem you're most likely to run into with carrying a Colt in this day and age is that if it breaks, it's going to be very difficult to find someone with the skill and time to repair it. My wife has a Colt Cobra that I'll sometimes carry, and it's a nice gun to shoot with a great trigger, especially when I'm just pushing 148 grain wadcutters out of it. But...as a serious carry gun, it doesn't make a lot of sense when I can get a well built Ruger or S&W with modern sights and a trigger just as good (with a little work). If my SP101 or LCR goes down, I know I can get it fixed in no time, and the same goes for my j-frames.

LSP972
01-13-2015, 01:34 PM
I scored an unfired police positive a few years back, and had Frank Glenn give it the once over, shorten the barrel, regulate the front sight, etc. He said the action was solid, and needed no work for the low volume shooting it will see. The colt action feels great to this revolver novice, and it carries really well, IWB. It's a little chubbier in the pocket due to the cylinder and I didn't bob the hammer so it rarely sees pocket time.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7144/6755387269_aa0a523a7f_z.jpg

That, sir, is a jewel; a true snubby with a full-length ejector rod. Score yourself a DS hammer shroud and Tyler T-grip for it, and your life will be compleat...;)

BTW... Brother Glenn is one of those five wizards I mentioned earlier.

What is the inscription on the cylinder?

JHC
01-13-2015, 02:21 PM
In the '80's I was digging D-frames and dry fired, shot and carried a couple. I shot a couple of them out of time in fairly short order. In hindsight I should have foregone the DA dry firing; using my K frames for that instead.

SamAdams
01-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments. I appreciate it.

Well, I'm not a gunsmith, don't have a Colt 'smith in the family, and don't want to throw tons of money at 'smiths to keep my
wheel guns running properly. It's looking like a D frame Colt may not be the best choice for me.

What's your opinion of a Mk III for the occasional carry use that I mentioned ?
Thanks again for your very helpful input.

theJanitor
01-13-2015, 02:57 PM
What is the inscription on the cylinder?

It's "Glenn-Custom". It matches his mark on one of my Colt 1911's

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7157/6755389407_f4a037b787_z.jpg

I have my first real custom revolver project over at Frank's shop now. The S&W M28 should be near completion any day now...

LSP972
01-13-2015, 03:15 PM

An N frame S&W will give you a better trigger and serviceability (that is, you can get it fixed) for the same size and weight.

LSP972
01-13-2015, 03:16 PM
It's "Glenn-Custom". It matches his mark on one of my Colt 1911's

Got it, thanks.

Maple Syrup Actual
01-13-2015, 03:21 PM
In my experience, Colt revolvers run like swiss watches. They need regular service and go out of time if you don't spend a pile of cash on maintenance.

I'm carrying some brass in one of my hands from a jacket that got shaved off at the forcing cone by an out of time Python somebody fired next to me once.

They do not give me warm fuzzies.

David Armstrong
01-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments. I appreciate it.

Well, I'm not a gunsmith, don't have a Colt 'smith in the family, and don't want to throw tons of money at 'smiths to keep my
wheel guns running properly. It's looking like a D frame Colt may not be the best choice for me.

Thanks again for your very helpful input.
The Mark III is a sturdier gun. However, given the occassional carry use classification the D frame will serve you just fine in a smaller, lighter package.

JHC
01-13-2015, 04:17 PM
The Mark III is a sturdier gun. However, given the occassional carry use classification the D frame will serve you just fine in a smaller, lighter package.

I think so too. I now realize I abused mine with daily DA dry fire drilling. They come from an age before our modern volumes I think.

NEPAKevin
01-13-2015, 04:32 PM
IIRC, D-frames were also prior to +p loadings and were not rated for a steady diet of such.

Trooper224
01-13-2015, 04:52 PM
I love Colt revolvers, but given their quirks already mentioned, I wouldn't use one for a carry piece. There are better alternatives here in the second decade of the 21st century. I have an Army Special .38, made in 1919. It was obviously a cops gun as it shows holster and carry wear, but very little actual use. It still locks up tight as a bank vault but I wouldn't consider it for a user in spite of it's overall condition.

RevolverRob
01-13-2015, 04:57 PM
IIRC, D-frames were also prior to +p loadings and were not rated for a steady diet of such.

Not all of them. Some were rated for +P. But given Buffalo Bores EXCELLENT 158-grain LHP that is standard pressure, I never shoot +P in my Colts.

Colts, I love them. I have three D-frames. A 2nd Gen Detective Special (3"), a 2nd Gen Cobra (2"), and a 3rd issue/gen Agent with the hideous parkerizing and barrel shroud (2"). They are fabulous guns to carry, but I don't shoot them a whole heck of a lot. The DS gets the most shooting and it is <150 rounds a year. For the most part, I have replaced them for carrying purposes with J-Frame Smiths and GP100s. In my opinion, every wheelgunner should own a Colt or six. But for practical carrying purposes, one is better served by a 3" GP100 or SP101 for the belt, and an airweight J for the pocket/other uses.

For an occasional use gun? Go for it. For a serious regular carry wheelie? Ruger or Smith.

-Rob

JonInWA
01-13-2015, 05:13 PM
I had a Lawman Mk V, 4" bbl for several years. It was beautifully finished (impressively so, especially considering that it was the fixed-sight/entry level/basic LEO gun of its day {early 1980s}), and the Mk Vs supposedly overcame the fragility/timing issues inherent to the Mk III Troopers/Lawman/Metropolitan, etc.

However....1) The DA trigger was nothing to write home about; being heavy and the tip of the trigger scraped against the inside bottom of the triggerguard, even when adjusted by my gunsmith (no operational issues induced, but it certainly bugged me-it might have been an offshoot of the union/management issues pervading Colt in that timeframe); 2) I never really trusted the while nylon piece in the cylinder latch release mechanism (I never encountered any problems with it, nor heard of any problems anecdotally, but still...); 3) the hammer spur would partially block the sight during the triggerpull sequence; 4) Since the inner components were surface hardened (as opposed to thorough hardened) action jobs literally were pretty much limited to judicious spring replacement/tuning.

Then there was the perennial potential issue of the cylinder retention screw backing out, and the joys of dealing with a sideplate.....

I replaced the OEM "birdshead" wood grip (but kept it) with a Colt logo'ed Pachmyer rubber grip (as was used on the Peacemaker and subsequent King Cobra). I think I used it once in an IDPA match as an SSR entrant (my GP100 Safariland speedloaders worked fine), but ultimately traded it in 2007 for my BNIB Ruger P89. Reportedly it was sold prior to me bringing it in to my gunshop, and is in a museum in Montana. They're happy, I'm happy.

I much preferred my concurrently (and still) owned Ruger GP100 and Security Six. Better ergos, better sights, better triggers, preferential cylinder release latch, both capable of superior action tuning, superior take-down, now cylinder retention screw to back out..., and both are probably significantly more durable (although the MK V Colts actually have a pretty good reputation in that department).

If you do decide the go the Colt revolver route, I believe that Cylinder & Slide is a licensed Colt service shop, and has a very good reputation for their work on Colt DA revolvers. Personally, I recommend going the Ruger route, either with a GP100, Security/Service/Speed Six, or SP101.

Best, Jon

SamAdams
01-14-2015, 03:12 AM
Thanks again everyone for your comments. It sounds like getting a double action Colt would be indulging in a 'collector' whim, rather than be the best choice from a practical standpoint.

1986s4
01-14-2015, 08:37 AM
What is the considered opinion of the Colt New Service series? I have a shooter, not collector in my possession. It is a M1917 with United States Property under the barrel. One of the later issues as it can be fired without moon clips [but won' extract]. The barrel was shortened to 4" and adjustable sights installed. it was also refinished. Overall the work was good. The windage was off so a smith torqued the barrel and now it shoots quite to aim. The action is smooth if not long, one can do very good DA work with it. I was thinking of doing some limited IDPA shooting with it using some mild reloads. It locks up tight and no shaving, I use coated lead bullets.

Safe enough to run?

Wayne Dobbs
01-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Some of us with very close ties to Colt have repeatedly stated they need to manufacture a compact revolver with modern lockwork to compete in the concealed carry market. Crickets....

NEPAKevin
01-14-2015, 11:50 AM
What is the considered opinion of the Colt New Service series?
Safe enough to run?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j-lhTu-R5NE/UrScta65DUI/AAAAAAAAAb4/8B0TXxYDNWI/w876-h657-no/DSCN1521.JPG

As long as it is in good mechanical condition and you don't mind the size and weight. The one I have has fixed sights and fits in a DeSantis No. 1 for an N-frame.

jetfire
01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Some of us with very close ties to Colt have repeatedly stated they need to manufacture a compact revolver with modern lockwork to compete in the concealed carry market. Crickets....

While I have no doubt that I'd buy one, sometimes I wonder about stuff like this. Guys who are serious about shooting would definitely buy one, and there would probably be some additional sales to people who collect things that say "Colt" on them, but part of me wonders if the market is such that Colt could actually make money off a gun like that. Especially when you figure in the cost of tooling/machining to get production up to speed, you'd be looking at a gun that would probably street for 600 bucks.

That doesn't stop me from wishing they'd make a modern D-frame with good sights and upgraded guts.

TR675
01-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Colt is borrowing money to make their debt payments as it is; since it looks like their income isn't sufficient to make their debt payments when due I doubt they can find the funds to engineer, tool-up and start production on a wholly new series of handguns.

I think Colt will be bankrupt in the next few years. Once someone buys up their assets and trademarks and gets rid of the debt, maybe we'll see something new and interesting happen, assuming it doesn't get piecemealed out and just...fade away.

I would love to be wrong.

LSP552
01-14-2015, 09:43 PM
While I have no doubt that I'd buy one, sometimes I wonder about stuff like this. Guys who are serious about shooting would definitely buy one, and there would probably be some additional sales to people who collect things that say "Colt" on them, but part of me wonders if the market is such that Colt could actually make money off a gun like that. Especially when you figure in the cost of tooling/machining to get production up to speed, you'd be looking at a gun that would probably street for 600 bucks.

That doesn't stop me from wishing they'd make a modern D-frame with good sights and upgraded guts.

Yep, I'm afraid they are too late to the market to capture any real share. Add me to the want list if they ever do.