PDA

View Full Version : Looking for training in Middle TN area

randypollock
02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm looking for a good training/school within a few hours drive from Middle TN. I live South of Nashville and 1.5 hours west of Chattanooga.

I have included some links of site I have found.

http://rphoto.me/hF7jYk

http://rphoto.me/dN1K6K

http://rphoto.me/eUv6dF

http://rphoto.me/gopeZG (Saw this school on TV, but don't remember what show it was)

Odin Bravo One
02-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Taking a comment from your other post regarding your new SA 1911........you would be surprised at the training talent in your area.

Randy Cain is a highly sought after trainer. As is Bill Rogers. I cannot personally attest to Tiger McGee as I have never shot with the man.

Mid-South is unfortunately now closed to the public and only conducts training for LE/MIL.

But don't limit yourself to "places" that are nearby. The Gunsite's and Thunder Ranch's have a lot of appeal, I get that. But there are a ton of outstanding instructors who take their show on the road (this forum's founder being one of them), and given a suitable range, provide the same level of training (and many times better) found at the "BIG NAME" school houses. Since they don't have a huge lease or mortgage on the land being used, their prices are often 1/2, or even 1/3 the tuition of Gunsite or TR, the travel costs are minimal as you can often find them within a few hours drive, and the courses are generally offered on weekends so you don't have to burn vacation or sick time. Not that I would advocate the use sick of time to attend training.....

Just something to think about........

randypollock
02-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Do you have any more info on the people you mentioned or am I left to google them?

I haven't heard of them. But it's encouraging to hear.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Found them... thanks.

Odin Bravo One
02-27-2011, 06:18 PM
My apologies......

Randy Cain and Bill Rogers were in your initial links, as was Tiger McGee.

That said, a few others who travel and "may" be within your driving range in the future:

Todd Green
Larry Vickers
Dave Harrington
Scott Reitz (Mostly out of LA, but travels more now that he retired from LAPD)
Louis Awerbuck
Jeff Gonzales
Pat Rogers

All different approaches, techniques, some different tactics and philosophy's.......but you will learn from them. I really encourage a broad based approach, and not becoming a "disciple" of one particular instructor. Obviously, the guys who are closer tend to get more of my business when I am paying for training, but diversity will allow you to grow as a shooter and find the Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures (TTP's: new acronym for you) that are best suited for you and your needs.

Google will find most of these guys and/or their particular website and schedules. A lot of courses get scheduled throughout the year, and are not necessarily posted this early on. Also, hitting the Course Announcements page on the various forums can help you find quality instruction coming near you.

Best of luck.

beltjones
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
You posted this in the Competition subforum - are you looking for someone to help you with USPSA/IDPA/3 Gun or are you looking for something more tactically oriented?

randypollock
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
I didn't see a better category than this one to ask the question on training if it needs to be moved let me know (or if I can't then an admin)

I am at the level of needing to start with basic defense class to double up on what I learn when I took my basic and CCW 3 day class.

I would like to do IDPA and there is a group in Manchester Tennessee called Middle TN shooters, but the one time that I visited a practice shoot, they looked at me like I was a outsider and I was approached by no one after about 30 minutes I left.

Sad me..huh..anyway I'll find some good instructors and see if that will impress them after I take a class or two.

ToddG
02-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Tom Givens of Rangemaster (http://www.rangemaster.com/) in Memphis has a record of training students who prevail in gunfights that is unmatched by anyone in the industry.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Tom Givens of Rangemaster (http://www.rangemaster.com/) in Memphis has a record of training students who prevail in gunfights that is unmatched by anyone in the industry.

I have heard of Rangemaster and read some of his stuff in USCCA magazine.

CK1
03-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Randy, since your post just happens to have landed in the competition sub-forum whether by accident or luck I'd like to invite you to come out and shoot with us at www.mctsclub.com sometime.
Most of the matches are IDPA but there are plenty that are more than that and while it's not quite the same thing as a pure training class there is without a doubt more learning taking place than gaming, and at around $15-20 per match it's a good place to sharpen up your katana before you drop more than a few hundred on honest-to-goodness training that might fly by too quickly if your skills aren't up to keeping up with it.
You'll find yourself shooting with the best metro SWAT has to offer on a fairly regular basis, not to mention your everyday IT-guys, , doctors, contractors, (and being "music city") musicians and engineers who's skills with firearms are well above the norm.

Seriously, the area is great for the ease at which one can find a match going on within driving distance almost every single weekend, and despite what you may or may not have heard, it's way more about just plain getting better at shooting than racing or playing games, most of the regulars shoot what they carry lots of times and can embarrass many a mall-ninja or many of the poorer trainers out there.

- Chip

randypollock
03-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Chip

I appreciate the post and will definitely try to come to the range, unfortunately I am about 2.5 hours from Dickson (Tullahoma) so it's a little bit of a drive, although the range does look fantastic.

CK1
03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Chip

I appreciate the post and will definitely try to come to the range, unfortunately I am about 2.5 hours from Dickson (Tullahoma) so it's a little bit of a drive, although the range does look fantastic.

Randy,

Yeah, 2.5hrs is a hike, maybe try to come out to any that look worth the time and effort... These guys look a little closer to you actually: http://www.midtnshooters.com/ or even these guys: http://rocketcityshooters.com/idpa.htm - either way hope you find a club close enough to hit a match or two, it's really a lot of fun and you learn a lot.

- Chip

randypollock
03-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Rocket City is new to me, I'll check it out as well.

Of course Mid TN is right in my back yard..but my one trip to the range wasn't the best experience as I was stared at for about 30 minutes until I just left as I guess everyone was too busy for a newcomer (there was no matches going on just practice).

I need to try again, but you know I really don't want to shoot with people who are either to "busy" for a new guy or who don't recognize you as a good old boy so your not worth talking too.

CK1
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Rocket City is new to me, I'll check it out as well.

Of course Mid TN is right in my back yard..but my one trip to the range wasn't the best experience as I was stared at for about 30 minutes until I just left as I guess everyone was too busy for a newcomer (there was no matches going on just practice).

I need to try again, but you know I really don't want to shoot with people who are either to "busy" for a new guy or who don't recognize you as a good old boy so your not worth talking too.

I think I know what you mean, seems the shooting community could use a few more guys who don't find general friendliness so difficult...

My guess is you just came across some guys who were just not very outgoing and maybe weary of a new face, I had a similar experience when I first went out to matches (doesn't help that I'm originally from NYC and a total "Yankee" in some "good ol' boys" eyes!)... I'd say just introduce yourself as being new to the range and/matches and you'll find "nice guys" come out of the woodwork pretty fast, new shooters are always welcome, you're just dealing with a bunch of grumpy, jaded strangers until the initial ice gets broken.

dbrown
03-06-2011, 06:53 PM
1 1/2 years ago I was in Nashville area for a week, I only found one match shooting near there it was in Huntsville Al. There seemed to be some fighting going on between the USPSA and The IDPA guys. Unfortunate, I didn't get to shoot at a match while there.
I travel all over and usually can find a match through the USPSA web sight.
Match shooting is a great way to practice for real world conflict IMHO because it teaches you gun handeling and lots of repitition in different aspects of shooting.