PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR crapped the bed

vaglocker
01-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Bought an LCR a few months back (38 special version), and honestly have loved it through the first 500 rounds or so. Went to the range the other day to do some more shooting and discovered that the cylinder wouldn't close when it was loaded. Upon further inspection it appears that the firing pin bushing is protruding. As I said i've only got 500 rounds through it so far, but I've done at least twice as many dry fires. I can only assume it happened during dry firing as that was the last time I handled the gun. Contacted Ruger and am waiting further instructions from them. Anybody else have this issue?

Bigghoss
01-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Never heard of this issue before but I'd like to see how this turns out. In my experience, Ruger will take care of you.

breakingtime91
01-13-2015, 12:39 AM
Bought an LCR a few months back (38 special version), and honestly have loved it through the first 500 rounds or so. Went to the range the other day to do some more shooting and discovered that the cylinder wouldn't close when it was loaded. Upon further inspection it appears that the firing pin bushing is protruding. As I said i've only got 500 rounds through it so far, but I've done at least twice as many dry fires. I can only assume it happened during dry firing as that was the last time I handled the gun. Contacted Ruger and am waiting further instructions from them. Anybody else have this issue?

mine (although a 357 version) has been good for around a thousand 38. Sorry to hear of your issue but its the first time I have heard of this issue. I mirror Bigghoss with the expectation that ruger will make it right and you shouldn't run into any issues after that.

vaglocker
01-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Shipped it off today to ruger. Inspected the pistol before packing and noticed that the firing pin bushing has now become completely dislodged. I don't have any doubt they will make it right, but in what kind of time frame?

Lester Polfus
01-14-2015, 11:32 PM
I'm curious if you were using a dummy round, snap cap or other such thing when you were dry firing?

Hizzie
01-15-2015, 12:00 AM
Shipped it off today to ruger. Inspected the pistol before packing and noticed that the firing pin bushing has now become completely dislodged. I don't have any doubt they will make it right, but in what kind of time frame?

IIRC they turned my WCII around in 2 weeks.

vaglocker
01-15-2015, 12:18 PM
no snap caps, but I expect any modern revolver (or any modern pistol sans .22) to be able to be dry fired without damage. Especially when the manufacturer says so in the manual. I'm sure I just drew the short straw on QC with my particular LCR. I'm not pissed as I realize any new firearm can have issues it looks like it was just my turn.

breakingtime91
01-15-2015, 12:52 PM
no snap caps, but I expect any modern revolver (or any modern pistol sans .22) to be able to be dry fired without damage. Especially when the manufacturer says so in the manual. I'm sure I just drew the short straw on QC with my particular LCR. I'm not pissed as I realize any new firearm can have issues it looks like it was just my turn.

snap caps are still a good idea.

Wheeler
01-15-2015, 04:54 PM
snap caps are still a good idea.

Why?

LSP972
01-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Yeah… why? Something about the LCR that makes dry-firing detrimental?

jh9
01-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Yeah… why? Something about the LCR that makes dry-firing detrimental?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggas3ZCOsFw

If the video is an accurate representation of the LCR's guts I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. It appears the fp bushing is a threaded two-piece job. Probably just shipped from the factory with no threadlocker? :confused:

edit: 1:03 is where the virtual part gets removed. This is apparently a video game? There are games where you do full point and click disassembly of random guns?

vaglocker
01-18-2015, 10:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggas3ZCOsFw

If the video is an accurate representation of the LCR's guts I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. It appears the fp bushing is a threaded two-piece job. Probably just shipped from the factory with no threadlocker? :confused:

edit: 1:03 is where the virtual part gets removed. This is apparently a video game? There are games where you do full point and click disassembly of random guns?

After it fell out I did notice some blue loctite on the threads. It's on its way back to me and should have it Tuesday .

breakingtime91
01-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Good to hear it! I just can't see any reason to not use snap caps? I guess I just think it's a good idea to be able to eliminate a factor when determining why something may of went wrong...

jc000
01-18-2015, 11:05 AM

Just as an FYI, I own the LCR .22 and dry fire it all the time. Not a problem, even for that specific model, according to Ruger.

Wheeler
01-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Good to hear it! I just can't see any reason to not use snap caps? I guess I just think it's a good idea to be able to eliminate a factor when determining why something may of went wrong...

That's certainly one way to look at it and I don't really know that it's right or wrong. The way I see it, if the bushing came out during dryfire, how would it act under recoil? Especially with heavy or hot defensive loads. If a piece of equipment fails under light duty applications in my mind it can't be trusted for it's intended purpose.

miller_man
01-18-2015, 12:28 PM
When I had to send my LCP back to Ruger, IIRC, it was around/under a week turnaround. They will make it right, sorry to hear it though.

I dry fire my LCR a good bit (no snap caps), only recall the manual saying something on lubing it after so many rounds or dry fire.

breakingtime91
01-18-2015, 01:20 PM
That's certainly one way to look at it and I don't really know that it's right or wrong. The way I see it, if the bushing came out during dryfire, how would it act under recoil? Especially with heavy or hot defensive loads. If a piece of equipment fails under light duty applications in my mind it can't be trusted for it's intended purpose.

Oh I completely agree with you. I hope ruger explains what happened as I found my ruger is be durable and accurate.

LSP972
01-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I just can't see any reason to not use snap caps?

So, you don't have any information to indicate that not using snap caps (in revolver dry-firing in general, or the LCR in particular?) is bad?

breakingtime91
01-18-2015, 03:07 PM
I never said it was bad? I said it's a good idea to use them and then explained in a previous post why. Given the price of snap caps idk why you would not just throw some in for piece of mind, especially if you already have them to practice reloading..

LSP972
01-18-2015, 08:02 PM
I never said it was bad?

Not in those words, but I took your post "Its a good idea" to mean NOT using them was a bad idea… which I know not to be true, at least where S&W revolvers are concerned. I was just curious if you knew something different about the LCR.

Because polymer-framed revolvers are still too new to have established a reliability record yet…

vaglocker
02-10-2015, 09:21 AM
So the original "shipment" notification i got from Ruger a while back was not for my pistol, but for the soft case I shipped my pistol in. I guess they felt the need to fed-ex it back to me because they couldn't trust themselves to keep track of it. Anyway, I called them back this morning to check the status, and apparently they tried to call me a week ago, but I never got any message. So, now I'm getting a new pistol. The customer service rep didn't have any details so I just said go ahead and send it. Apparently more was going on than just the loose firing pin bushing.

Wheeler
02-10-2015, 03:44 PM
So the original "shipment" notification i got from Ruger a while back was not for my pistol, but for the soft case I shipped my pistol in. I guess they felt the need to fed-ex it back to me because they couldn't trust themselves to keep track of it. Anyway, I called them back this morning to check the status, and apparently they tried to call me a week ago, but I never got any message. So, now I'm getting a new pistol. The customer service rep didn't have any details so I just said go ahead and send it. Apparently more was going on than just the loose firing pin bushing.

It's quite possible that they shipped you a new pistol just because of the SNAFU.

breakingtime91
07-22-2015, 10:25 AM
mine (although a 357 version) has been good for around a thousand 38. Sorry to hear of your issue but its the first time I have heard of this issue. I mirror Bigghoss with the expectation that ruger will make it right and you shouldn't run into any issues after that.

I wanted to update this as someone pointed it out and my post is kind of misleading. I think I was trying to prove my point and I want to apologize for that. I have seen 1000 rounds go through a standard 38 lcr without much issue (trigger was short stroked by my friend and I), my 357 lcr has held up like a champ to the +/- 500 rounds of 38 I have put through it(besides user error like short stroking). Hope this information helps.

vaglocker
07-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Almost forgot about this thread. Update to add the new pistol they sent failed as well after about 300 rounds. Cylinder locked up (unloaded). Crane latch release wouldn't move. Had to send gun #2 back to Ruger. They got it back to me pretty fast this time, but color me skeptical on these revolvers for now.

LSP972
07-24-2015, 06:59 AM
...color me skeptical on these revolvers for now.

Yes. On my sample of one (purchased for my mother- she liked its "feel" the best out of numerous ones she tried), I put 100 rounds of mixed wadcutters and 130gr ball through it, and after that it was loose as a goose; I mean seriously loose, as in cylinder endshake, radial play, play in the yoke-to-frame fit, etc. But it seemed to still work fine, so I just chalked all of that up to the polymer/aluminum mix. The gun hasn't been shot since, and likely won't be until she passes.

As an old S&W revolver guy, I was monumentally unimpressed with it, period. However, I am astute enough to recognize that there is a bit of snobbery involved there, and Ruger guns are generally solid performers... if not the pinnacle of aesthetics.

Sorry you're having issues; and don't take this the wrong way, but it helps me to more fully appreciate my old S&W revolvers.

Wheeler
07-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Yes. On my sample of one (purchased for my mother- she liked its "feel" the best out of numerous ones she tried), I put 100 rounds of mixed wadcutters and 130gr ball through it, and after that it was loose as a goose; I mean seriously loose, as in cylinder endshake, radial play, play in the yoke-to-frame fit, etc. But it seemed to still work fine, so I just chalked all of that up to the polymer/aluminum mix. The gun hasn't been shot since, and likely won't be until she passes.

As an old S&W revolver guy, I was monumentally unimpressed with it, period. However, I am astute enough to recognize that there is a bit of snobbery involved there, and Ruger guns are generally solid performers... if not the pinnacle of aesthetics.

Sorry you're having issues; and don't take this the wrong way, but it helps me to more fully appreciate my old S&W revolvers.

I have close to 500 rounds of mixed +P and standard pressure through mine with none of the issues you describe. Interestingly enough, my all steel, 3" model 36 will choke on +P ammo.

JodyH
07-24-2015, 01:35 PM
There's a hex head set screw in the bottom side of the cylinder release button that you must back out, add blue Locktite to and then screw back in snugly.