PDA

View Full Version : So in his mindset...he reviews with a lot of followers

randypollock
08-06-2011, 05:03 PM
So who is this nutnfancy guy on youtube?

I have watched a few of his videos and he definitively gets a lot of gear to review so either he is rich or someone in the industry likes him.

But who is this guy and is he just a mall ninja or what?

Kyle Reese
08-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Legend in his own mind.

He seems enamored with low end gear, and often does "table top reviews" on firearms he, by his own admission, has yet to fire.

jslaker
08-06-2011, 05:31 PM
My primary problem with him is that those who don't know better might mistake what he has to say for expertise.

You'll notice that the vast majority of his reviews are of guns he doesn't even fire; it's essentially him sitting at a table, fingerbanging them while pontificating on his rather... unique philosophy on firearms.

ETA:

My understanding is that he's a retired AF Reserve pilot as a Lt Col. I don't want to diminish from his service at all as it is appreciated, but his job wasn't the kind that makes one a small arms expert.

shep854
08-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm not one of his fanboys, but I've found the videos that I watched interesting and informative--and yes, he DID fire the guns under review.

jslaker
08-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm not one of his fanboys, but I've found the videos that I watched interesting and informative--and yes, he DID fire the guns under review.

I'd suggest you go back and check. As GS stated, he's fully admitted that his table top reviews generally don't involve shooting the guns in question. It's not unusual to hear something to the effect of "I haven't shot this yet, but...." as he's in the middle of a 40 minute multipart review.

None of this is even getting into his odd definition of "firepower" which is starkly at odds with his advocacy of pocket guns. He'll quibble about a two ounce difference between two guns, then in the next breath talk about how awesome it is that you can get 33 round mags for a Glock.

ETA:

I really don't want to sound like I intend to eat our own here, but the irritation I feel about him is about like the irritation I feel about bad gun store advice. I mostly get disheartened when I feel people are getting bad information, which is what I think much of what he has to say is.

shep854
08-06-2011, 07:13 PM
The impression I got was that his reviews started out on the tabletop, and progressed to range reports. At any rate, I've seen videos of him shooting subject guns.
Admittedly, I haven't seen many of his reviews, just the ones involving a gun I happened to be interested in.

Jay Cunningham
08-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Seems like an internet celebrity.

Lot of those going around these days.

jslaker
08-06-2011, 07:55 PM
The impression I got was that his reviews started out on the tabletop, and progressed to range reports. At any rate, I've seen videos of him shooting subject guns.

Some do. Far from all, and generally only things he/his friends own from what I've seen. The tabletop guns are provided to him by Impact Guns, who are apparently local to him.

Kyle Reese
08-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Suffice it to say there's not alot of love for him here.

Tamara
08-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Seems like an internet celebrity.

Lot of those going around these days.

Do you know who I am on the internet? I could have you killed on the internet! :p

(For any humor impaired types reading this, it was a JOKE. Sadly, you have to put disclaimers like this on 'web posts...:rolleyes: )

Rains on Parades
08-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Redacted.

shep854
08-06-2011, 10:00 PM
My impression (which may be worth exactly what you're paying for it) is that he tries to approach a review like a "typical" gun buyer. He starts by examining and describing the subject gun straight from the box in great detail, eventually taking it to the range to be wrung out. He takes so long that his videos often get broken up into two or three segments. He does get rather tedious, but that's a subjective call. Since the shooting part would be on the last segment, it might get overlooked.
Thankfully, the internet's a big place, with lots of choices for information.

randypollock
08-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I had heard the LT Col thing, he just looked to young for that..maybe all my LT Col was just old men...lol

I will say I'm would like all that gear/guns he gets

grimel
08-06-2011, 10:13 PM
My impression (which may be worth exactly what you're paying for it) is that he tries to approach a review like a "typical" gun buyer. He starts by examining and describing the subject gun straight from the box in great detail, eventually taking it to the range to be wrung out. He takes so long that his videos often get broken up into two or three segments. He does get rather tedious, but that's a subjective call. Since the shooting part would be on the last segment, it might get overlooked.
Thankfully, the internet's a big place, with lots of choices for information.

He's an idiot. He blathers on about things he doesn't begin to understand. Decides an item is GTG or not without using it. Then his "shooting" reviews are a bad joke. IF you've watched a few of them you'll see him shooting without glasses dressed up in his ninja outfit.

EPF
08-06-2011, 11:03 PM
You don't always need to know a lot about a subject to know when you should question advice. If I was searching for a video on YOUTUBE detailing how to change a tire or paint my house, I would not choose this guys video to follow.

Sometimes, "buyer beware" means that you have to do your "due dilligence". People who buy things or take advice because an internet video, gun store clerk, or used car salesman told them to simply get what they paid for.

Tamara
08-07-2011, 07:15 AM
People who buy things or take advice because an internet video, gun store clerk, or used car salesman told them to simply get what they paid for.
...and for gawd's sake, don't believe anything you read on an internet gun forum!

mc1911
08-07-2011, 09:10 AM
About the Lt Col thing, I've not been in the military so those of you who have can set me straight . . . the way that guy talks, he sounds like a 21 yr old. I've not seen many of his videos, but I distinctly remember him calling himself a Lt Col and also remember the one where he is with his son and says to the kid, "Let's see you bust those targets, YO!"

Yo? This is just one example but his speech generally is along these lines, and my point is that the few military officers I've met don't talk like 21 yr olds who just finished listening to the latest rap CD. Again, my experience is limited so perhaps this is more common than I realize.

Nothing against the guy, just makes me wonder.

Al T.
08-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Cannot stand his efforts.

DonovanM
08-07-2011, 05:50 PM
He really does have access to huge amounts of gear, while having the mental faculties and some of the experience needed to tell at a basic level when something's crap - as well as the honesty to say so when it is - but he's so incredibly long winded, annoying and egotistical that I can't stand watching his videos anymore.

Alpha Sierra
08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I see his face in Urban Dictionary when I look up youtube attention whore.

Decado
08-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I think his message in regards to his backpacking/camping videos of "getting out there and creating your own adventures" is a good one. If I watch one of his videos it is aback packing video. His gun and gear reviews are way too long and do not interest me.

jslaker
08-08-2011, 09:06 AM
About the Lt Col thing, I've not been in the military so those of you who have can set me straight . . . the way that guy talks, he sounds like a 21 yr old. I've not seen many of his videos, but I distinctly remember him calling himself a Lt Col and also remember the one where he is with his son and says to the kid, "Let's see you bust those targets, YO!"

Yo? This is just one example but his speech generally is along these lines, and my point is that the few military officers I've met don't talk like 21 yr olds who just finished listening to the latest rap CD. Again, my experience is limited so perhaps this is more common than I realize.

Nothing against the guy, just makes me wonder.

Eh, in all honesty I'm inclined to believe the story about his background.

He looks like he's in his early/mid 40s, which means the rank wouldn't at all be out of line if he went in in his early 20s. As far as his vocabulary, well, he talks like a middle aged white guy that's trying way too hard to be cool, which is hardly a rare beast.

mc1911
08-08-2011, 12:11 PM
If I ever start talking like that, especially when I hit my 40s, I fully expect my wife and/or kids to hit me in the head with a large stick.

MDS
08-08-2011, 12:55 PM
...and for gawd's sake, don't believe anything you read on an internet gun forum!

Especially if it's about whether you should believe anything you read on an internet gun forum! :eek:

Tamara
08-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Especially if it's about whether you should believe anything you read on an internet gun forum! :eek:

JV_
08-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Around the time of SHOT, 4Sevens.com had a link to nutnfancy's review of their product. I was shocked to see a manufacturer link to one of his reviews.

orionz06
08-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Around the time of SHOT, 4Sevens.com had a link to nutnfancy's review of their product. I was shocked to see a manufacturer link to one of his reviews.

Another good thing potentially ruined by someone on the internet.

LittleLebowski
08-09-2011, 01:47 PM
My very favorite nutnfancy review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6jtNC1Wlvs

grimel
08-10-2011, 12:10 AM
He has watched waaaaay to many nutnfancy reviews.:D

jslaker
08-10-2011, 12:36 AM

That. Is. Brilliant.

ETA:

Though I'm not sure I heard him knock the BAR for having less firepower than a Glock with 33 round mags, so he loses accuracy points on that note.

Alpha Sierra
08-10-2011, 06:40 PM

Dude you nailed it

LOL

ubervic
08-11-2011, 05:26 PM
I just went to his channel on YouTube. Unless I'm reading the info wrong, he's uploaded 859 videos. Generally speaking, anyone with that volume of videos on there "jumped the shark" long, long ago.

G60
08-19-2011, 03:52 PM
My impression is that he spends 20-40 minutes going over what one could find out for themselves by spending 5 minutes and reading the manufacturer's spec sheet on a specific product.

fuse
08-19-2011, 04:53 PM
My impression is that he spends 20-40 minutes going over what one could find out for themselves by spending 5 minutes and reading the manufacturer's spec sheet on a specific product.

But he has to tell you what those specs mean!

ubervic
08-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Friends,

If you consider the average 'consumer' of YouTube videos, the fact that Nutnfancy is so successful and prolific is no surprise.

Imagine for a moment that you are a 14-year-old "tactical/firearms/concealed weapons/mall ninja/weekend armory" enthusiast, and think about how thrilled you would be to stumble across a Nutnfancy video on your favorite website for anything and everything. Think about the awesome experience that would unfold for you if you can view video after video, replete with lots of weaponry/military/commando jargon, narrated by some vaguely older guy who kinda sorta sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Then think about how you would tell your friends, and they would tell their friends, and so on, and so on. And then think about the view counts, etc.

There's no wonder why he has become a 'celebrity' on YouTube.

mnealtx
08-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Friends,

If you consider the average 'consumer' of YouTube videos, the fact that Nutnfancy is so successful and prolific is no surprise.

Imagine for a moment that you are a 14-year-old "tactical/firearms/concealed weapons/mall ninja/weekend armory" enthusiast, and think about how thrilled you would be to stumble across a Nutnfancy video on your favorite website for anything and everything. Think about the awesome experience that would unfold for you if you can view video after video, replete with lots of weaponry/military/commando jargon, narrated by some vaguely older guy who kinda sorta sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Then think about how you would tell your friends, and they would tell their friends, and so on, and so on. And then think about the view counts, etc.

There's no wonder why he has become a 'celebrity' on YouTube.

So, he's the Rebecca Black of gun reviewers?

MechEng
08-20-2011, 05:10 PM

This.

He likes to hear himself talk and I find his videos extremely long winded. Of the two I watched, I didn't make it through the first 60 seconds before being distracted by the mouse pointer. My mouse pointer trails.

Smaug
08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
It's embarassing to admit this but I've watched almost all of this guy's gun reviews and I just watched his review of the Diamondback DB380 and it's pretty typical of his recent work;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmcyyJ83TNg&feature=relmfu (I wouldn't bother watching it)

The review can be summed up thus; "I've put a few hundred rounds through it and it would be the best .380 I've ever had if it weren't for the fact that both the one I bought and the one DB sent to replace it were unreliable." I would consider it a fairly good review if it hadn't taken him 40 minutes to say that.

He does a reasonable job of describing the gun but, as others have pointed out, he waffles constantly, including 5 minutes spent summarising stuff he said in separate 30 minute video (a .380's better than nothing but are you sure you can't manage a micro 9mm?). It also takes him 30 minutes to get to the reliability problems.

To his credit he's stopped reviewing guns he hasn't shot and he isn't as pedantic about comparing everything to the Glock 17 as he used to be. However he is responsible for a lot of people who don't know any better buying Kel Tec PF9s and Blackhawk SERPA holsters.

beltjones
08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
He's pretty bad, and extremely long winded.

What kills me is how bad his pistol technique is, and how immune to criticism he seems to be. Heaven help anyone who suggests he actually learns to shoot - the flood of negative comments from his fans is enough to drown an blue whale.

However, if you really want to vomit check out the "gunsmithing" videos by his buddy Terry G. I put gunsmithing in quotations because he really just whips out the dremel for everything. I cannot believe this guy charges people for the work he does, and I can't believe both he and Nutnfancy are so stupid that they put this stuff on youtube as an example of the work that is done at Impact Guns.

The aforementioned DB380 wouldn't feed, so what is the obvious solution? Polish the feed ramp with a dremel tool and stone the breechface. Nevermind that Nutnfancy himself said the feedramp came from the factory pretty well polished. After stoning the breechface, he applies some coldblue with a q-tip and calls it good. Nevermind that there is actually a process to applying cold blue - one that you *might* want to disassemble the gun to do, lest you drop a bunch of it into the firing pin channel and let it sit for time eternal.

WDW
08-25-2011, 05:12 AM
The whole Nutnfancy thing goes back to the problem of industry disconnect w/serious shooters. Nutnfancy may not know what the hell he is talking about, but neither do 90% of people buying guns these days. He gets the product out to the public and basically provides free advertising for different manufactures so they in turn love them. Sort of a blind leading the blind kinda thing and he is the Big Kahuna.

DWB
10-29-2011, 03:58 AM
I cannot stand nutn for pretty much all the reasons mentioned.

Hickock45 is pretty cool in my book. He can and does shoot. I think he knows a thing or two but doesn't try to make it sound like he does.

LittleLebowski
10-29-2011, 07:16 AM
The whole Nutnfancy thing goes back to the problem of industry disconnect w/serious shooters. Nutnfancy may not know what the hell he is talking about, but neither do 90% of people buying guns these days. He gets the product out to the public and basically provides free advertising for different manufactures so they in turn love them. Sort of a blind leading the blind kinda thing and he is the Big Kahuna.

Jus like Gunblast.com. They have never met a free gun nor piece of gear they didn't praise.

TGS
10-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Jus like Gunblast.com. They have never met a free gun nor piece of gear they didn't praise.

Gunblast: Ima gonna demonstrate this hear dandy nifty little pistol but first ima gonna stand here and point this loaded gun at my wife who's filmin' with my finger on the trigger for the entire video.

DWB
10-29-2011, 12:53 PM
I find Gunblast much less annoying than nutn, but yeah pretty much everything he reviews is great. Then again, if you read his stuff, seems he usually puts in a "for the price" or something...I can at least glean some basic info about the reviewed piece without being annoyed to death, and he shoots them for accuracy.

jslaker
10-29-2011, 02:34 PM

Gunblast doesn't really strike me as really being any worse than your typical gun mag. Plus the dude has an awesome mountain man beard so I can't get too upset at him.

DannyZRC
10-29-2011, 03:43 PM
It's like automotive journalism, it's a giant stack of payola. The reviews always contain the info you're looking for, because they're written in politispeak. The same review will reinforce the predisposition of a great many readers toward the item being reviewed.

Praise, Faint Praise, Slight criticism, qualifiers like "for the money" or "of it's competitors".

Anything you are looking for, you will find, and the review as a whole is a giant sack of faint warm glow back patting.

totally useless. :p

DWB
10-29-2011, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't say totally useless. There is info there. A Ransom rest tells you something...and if you've never seen or held whatever it is, and don't have the opportunity to, at least you can see how it operates, etc.

Example: 10mm...I've never seen or shot one, don't know anyone that has one, so I went and watched Hickock45 shooting some...it gave me a basic visual (I'm visually oriented) idea on it, besides the reading I've done.

NickA
10-29-2011, 07:56 PM
When I was researching the Walther PPS I ran across Hickok45's and it was pretty good. He shot it some, ran through all the magazine options, and compared it side by side with a Glock 26 and Kahr PM9. Just what I was looking for with no extraneous nonsense.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

theblacknight
10-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Nutn is a tard at best, I really do hate him.

The only youtube review I can stand is the military arms dude. If anyone has some others, post them please.

LittleLebowski
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
In light of recent threads, let's make sure we keep our commentary impersonal and technical in nature.

jstyer
05-11-2012, 08:49 PM
+1 for military arms channel...

Robert Mitchum
05-13-2012, 11:49 PM
KIMBER PRO CARRY .45s: 1911 Carry Perfection, Part 1
He knows his 1911's :rolleyes:
Kimber is far from a top of the line 1911..

Carry Perfection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq3StchvjY4&feature=plcp

TCinVA
05-14-2012, 07:00 AM
I noted once that some of the people on youtube actually make money every time someone clicks on their videos.

Just something to think about.

Zhurdan
05-14-2012, 08:38 AM
I noted once that some of the people on youtube actually make money every time someone clicks on their videos.

Just something to think about.

Not on their video, but if they click the advertisement ON their video.

TCinVA
05-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Some youtube partners make money on video views, regardless of whether or not you click on any adds.

fuse
05-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Some youtube partners make money on video views, regardless of whether or not you click on any adds.

All youtube partners make money on views.

jmjames
05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Regardless of how you cut it, most people (not including personal stuff, like sharing video of the family reunion...) posting on YouTube only see a benefit from posting there if they get a high view count... whether they are hawking a service or product, getting view dollars, ad click dollars, "proving their expertise" as an indirect form of advertising...

As a result, it benefits people to post four kinds of content:

* Things that appeal to our emotions to draw view count (girls in skimpy outfits, kids whacking each other in the crotch with baseball bats, George Carlin skits, etc.).

* Things that contain truly useful, one-of-a-kind (or best-of-its-kind) content.

* Things that contain junk contain that confirms, instead of challenges, pre-existing notions.

* Controversial content.

Of course, this applies to the Internet as a whole. But when you see something on YouTube, it is important to try to understand which model they are chasing, and view the content through that lens. Someone saying something controversial may be doing so because they have a unique perspective that they are trying to share... or because they are trolling. It's honestly hard to tell sometimes.

J.Ja

Zhurdan
05-14-2012, 11:13 AM

Interesting... learned something new and threw out something old. Thanks. Perhaps some things have changed since the last time I worked with it. I know a couple of years ago, it was only if someone clicked a link in your video. That may have been for videos that aren't screaming up to eleventeen million hits though.

sheperd80
06-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Nutnfancy is kind of a tool. But id say his reviews are atleast worth skimming over if ur gonna buy something. He goes into great detail about evetything and while it can be tiresome to watch, he has some good points at times. And for some pure comedy watch his edc every day carry video...man he's too much.

Kyle Reese
06-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Nutnfancy is kind of a tool. But id say his reviews are atleast worth skimming over if ur gonna buy something. He goes into great detail about evetything and while it can be tiresome to watch, he has some good points at times. And for some pure comedy watch his edc every day carry video...man he's too much.

He also "reviews" guns that he's never fired. He's got zero credibility in my book. Pass.

jslaker
06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
He goes into great detail about evetything and while it can be tiresome to watch, he has some good points at times.

He also focuses on pointless minutia and gives "details" of dubious value. He'll give a gun the nod over another because it weighs 2oz less than another, for example. Or there's the fact that he loves the SIG P226 because it can be fired "really fast," but gives no explanation of why.

sheperd80
06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
He also "reviews" guns that he's never fired. He's got zero credibility in my book. Pass.

To each his own. I personally like his reviews of camping/survival gear. Of course he will ramble for 40 minutes about a whistle or something so theres lots of fast forwarding, but as long as u know going in that hes no expert, just a guy with lots of toys and opinions, his vids can be a valuable source of info in the search for gear. And ill say that ive gone against his opinion twice so far and bought something he hated and it turned out he was right.

Im no fanboy, as a matter of fact i kinda want to choke him and scream "STOP SAYING CAVEAT!".... but he's got his uses.

sheperd80
06-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Seriously for those of u who hate him, go watch his EDC 'every day carry' video. Its freakin ridiculous. The guy carries plasticware and like 12 pocket knives at all times lol. Plasticware!

TCinVA
06-16-2012, 11:46 PM
You never know when you'll be in need of a spork, actually....

orionz06
06-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Only people like Nutnfancy carry sporks. God forbid I go to court for something and they use his videos.

jmjames
06-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Is it one of those titanium sporks? If not, I'll be passing, thanks. If so, I guess it's time to subscribe to the YouTube video.

J.Ja

_JD_
06-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Only people like Nutnfancy carry sporks. God forbid I go to court for something and they use his videos.

Say what you will about Nutnfancy, but leave the spork alone. I would have beat Nutnfancy senseless with an MRE spoon to get my hands on a spork in Iraq.

Smaug
06-17-2012, 03:43 PM

He stopped doing that a while ago.

David Armstrong
06-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Say what you will about Nutnfancy, but leave the spork alone. I would have beat Nutnfancy senseless with an MRE spoon to get my hands on a spork in Iraq.
+1! The spork has a long and noble history, some version of which goes back to at least the Civil War.

Kyle Reese
06-17-2012, 05:26 PM
He also focuses on pointless minutia and gives "details" of dubious value. He'll give a gun the nod over another because it weighs 2oz less than another, for example. Or there's the fact that he loves the SIG P226 because it can be fired "really fast," but gives no explanation of why.

He should also attend some competent, professional training.