PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun setup thoughts?

ASH556
01-09-2015, 01:38 PM
So I guess I've become too addicted to 3gun and so I just swapped my 18.5" rifle sighted barrel on my Benelli M1 for a 21" vent rib. Nordic +5 tube, Nordic clamp, Nordic bolt handle, Extended bolt release, Hiviz sight. I had a Surefire forend on the gun, but am going to go back to the factory one for better hand placement/reload speed.

I realize I could tear the gun back down after every match, re-install the Surefire forend, and load it back up with Fed LE1321B until the next match, where I'd unload it, tear it back down, and build it up again with the stock handguard. Honestly, this seems like a royal PITA and also I don't like loading/unloading an HD gun that much. Seems to me like they should be tested, loaded, and left alone until needed (assuming you're still training on the platform with another similar weapon). Maybe cycle the ammo out once a year, but that's about it.

1) Ideally I think I'd like to buy a 14" Benelli M1 SBS, throw the Surefire forend on it and load it up and leave it. Unfortunately, that's quite a chunk of change that I don't really have to spend. I'd have to see if they'd let me lay it away and progressively pay while waiting on the stamp.
2) I could just buy another used non-NFA M1, but those aren't exactly cheap either. Looks like Gunbroker could get me one for about $650.
3) I've been thinking about just picking up an old used 870 Wingmaster. We have a couple at the shop and they're pretty plentiful. Chop the vent rib barrel down to 18.5" and throw on a Hiviz FO bead. Maybe change out the stock for a Hogue youth or something. I guess I'd have to sell my Benelli Surefire forend and pick up one for a Remmy instead.

I've got 100+ rounds of LE 1321B and about 50+ FED DP slugs, so the ammo is good to go. I just need to get a gun, load it, and leave it.

Thoughts? Is one of the 3 above options a horrible idea? One better, way more worth it, than the others?

Paul
01-09-2015, 01:52 PM
What about 4) the stock forend and adding a Picatinny rail to the Nordic clamp and a Surefire light in a scope ring?

You can take the light off when it's not needed.
It's gives you more grip options and less of a potential hand beating.
You can adjust the tightness of the clamp's screws and "tune" the mag clamp for slugs. And not have to remove the clamp when switching between HD and 3Gun and messing with where slugs hit and group.

Or it sounds like you have a completely legitimate reason to buy another M1 or maybe an M2.

ASH556
01-09-2015, 01:57 PM
What about 4) the stock forend and adding a Picatinny rail to the Nordic clamp and a Surefire light in a scope ring?

You can take the light off when it's not needed.
It's gives you more grip options and less of a potential hand beating.
You can adjust the tightness of the clamp's screws and "tune" the mag clamp for slugs. And not have to remove the clamp when switching between HD and 3Gun and messing with where slugs hit and group.

Or it sounds like you have a completely legitimate reason to buy another M1 or maybe an M2.

I've considered option 4 as well. In fact, I did it with this one prior to buying the Surefire forend. I tried both a G2X in a Gear Sector mount and an X300. I couldn't ever get comfortable shooting with my hand anywhere near the light without chewing up my thumb. I'm a puss I guess...just have to buy another M1 ;)!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/20130310_183140.jpg

Paul
01-09-2015, 02:20 PM
My thinking that an x300 on an 870 was a good idea, lasted one round. Those switches are not recoil friendly.

I'm assuming that you are right handed. I've found that a light mounted at on the opposite side at three o'clock and worked with the pointer finger is easier on the hand but a bit awkward to operate. I think that's because when I use my thumb to work the light I lose most of my grip, while losing one finger doesn't make much difference in grip strength.

It's probably cheaper to buy another shotgun than run through an infinite number of lights and mounts looking for something that will work.

HCM
01-09-2015, 03:49 PM
I would say by another Benelli. Used police trade-in M1 14 inch guns pop up every once in a while I've seen some here in Texas in the dollars 700 range similar to the Price you found on gun broker.

Nothing wrong with an 870, we use 14 inch 870s at work. However if I'm doing most of my shooting with a Benelli I would want a similar gun for the house. Non-dedicated users are another consideration for a house gun. The differences in performance between pump guns and autos are minimal for dedicated users but for those who don't shoot shotguns much the auto really shines.

ASH556
01-09-2015, 05:11 PM
I talked to the shop and they are willing to let me do progress payments while the stamp processes. The guns they have are NOS M1 14" entry guns, HK import. Gotta finalize price, but looking like $1,100-$1,200. One is ghost rings and the other is rifle sights. Ghost rings is $100 more. Both are PG, which I think I'd prefer on a house gun for one-hand manipulation. Pretty sure I prefer rifle sights to ghost rings as well. From what I've seen/read elsewhere, the price is actually pretty good, especially for "new" vs PD trade-in. Then again, I could just buy a used one for 1/2 that and form-1 it. Hmmmm.

HCM
01-09-2015, 07:38 PM
E file makes the Form 1 an attractive option.

ASH556
01-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Solution:

Transformation from this:
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_7138.jpg

To this (the bottom one):
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/6B4B7A8F-D787-4F9D-9D68-D0D028A0D4F4.jpg

And I now have this one pending:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/M1entry.jpg