PDA

View Full Version : Week 94: The F.A.S.T.

Mr_White
01-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Week 94: The F.A.S.T.

Results may be posted until February 12th, 2015.

Starting with a pistol-forum classic, the F.A.S.T.!

designed by Todd Louis Green
Range: 7yd
Target: 8" circle and 3x5 card (see http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/fast-target.pdf for a downloadable target; this target [i]must be printed on an 8.5x14 "legal" sheet of paper)
Start position: concealed, hands relaxed at sides (see below for alternatives)
Rounds fired: 18

Pistol begins with exactly two rounds in the gun. Draw should be from underneath legitimate concealment (see below for alternatives). Arms must be relaxed with hands at your sides (not on the gun).
1. On the buzzer, draw and fire two rounds at the 3x5 card.
2. Reload from slidelock/empty gun.
3. Fire four rounds to the 8" circle.

Repeat for a total of three runs (18 rounds).

Do not fire extra rounds. Shots intended for the 3x5 that hit the 8", or vice versa, count as misses.

Scoring is as follows:
Total time + 2s penalty for each 3x5 shot missed + 1s penalty for each 8" shot missed

The drill is intended to be shot from legitimate concealment or with a duty/retention holster. Even when shot with a duty holster, start position is arms at sides (not "interview" stance). Score is modified as follows based on carry method:

Concealed: no penalty
retention holster with closed (snap or velcro) mag pouches: 0.5 second bonus (subtraction) per 6-shot run
retention holster with open top mag mag pouches: no penalty or bonus
ALS, SERPA, or Thumb Drive (or similar) holster without concealment: 0.5 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run
open top holster without concealment: 3 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, begin with the gun on a table with no round in the chamber (two in the magazine). On the start signal, pick up the gun, rack the slide, and shoot the drill. Reload from underneath concealment.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
starting position (concealed, duty, open holster, or ready position)
type of holster (if applicable)
time and hits for string 1
time and hits for string 2
time and hits for string 3
aggregate score

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Gio
01-14-2015, 11:39 PM
I posted this in the FAST drill sticky thread before I saw your post in the other thread about the drill of the week...here's the cut/paste:

I was at the range for a training day and shot some of these with my G26 and G35. I didn't get any video of the G26 runs, but it was much harder to get consistent hits with the smaller gun, and my times were between 4.5-5.2 on average with a lot more variation in the reload speed. Here are 3 of 4 runs on my G35. The 4th was a 4.04 clean that I did not get on video. I realize after making this video that I am starting from more of a classic LE "interview" stance which I was shooting from just prior for agency quals. I will run a couple "hands relaxed at sides" next time out. These are also shot on USPSA targets, not IDPA.

Times are 3.75, 3.78, 3.79 (1 headshot miss just high).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1oqjJVHvUU&list=UUkQQPar1Fx4i-fePGmUEgyw

GardoneVT
01-15-2015, 12:32 AM
"If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, begin with the gun on a table with no round in the chamber (two in the magazine). On the start signal, pick up the gun, rack the slide, and shoot the drill. Reload from underneath concealment."

Since im using a DA/SA pistol, would it be proper to start with a loaded chamber but a de-cocked pistol? Otherwise , the options are to de-cock after racking but before shooting the drill while on the clock, or shoot it SA from start to finish which wont reflect realistic carry condition.

ASH556
01-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Gonna shoot this tomorrow night @ work. I've been trying to work on it from IWB concealment under a t-shirt (that's tough) and about the best I can do it clean is mid-7's. I was getting pretty frustrated, but then I just re-read the instructions and realized I've been doing it on 8.5x11 paper instead of 8.5x14 legal paper. Maybe that will help some.

Irelander
01-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Gonna shoot this tomorrow night @ work.

Man, I wish I could say that!

Mr_White
01-15-2015, 11:29 AM
I posted this in the FAST drill sticky thread before I saw your post in the other thread about the drill of the week...here's the cut/paste:

I was at the range for a training day and shot some of these with my G26 and G35. I didn't get any video of the G26 runs, but it was much harder to get consistent hits with the smaller gun, and my times were between 4.5-5.2 on average with a lot more variation in the reload speed. Here are 3 of 4 runs on my G35. The 4th was a 4.04 clean that I did not get on video. I realize after making this video that I am starting from more of a classic LE "interview" stance which I was shooting from just prior for agency quals. I will run a couple "hands relaxed at sides" next time out. These are also shot on USPSA targets, not IDPA.

Times are 3.75, 3.78, 3.79 (1 headshot miss just high).

That's excellent – very nice shooting givo08! Thanks for posting video too. I always enjoy checking out what other people are doing with their shooting.

"If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, begin with the gun on a table with no round in the chamber (two in the magazine). On the start signal, pick up the gun, rack the slide, and shoot the drill. Reload from underneath concealment."

Since im using a DA/SA pistol, would it be proper to start with a loaded chamber but a de-cocked pistol? Otherwise , the options are to de-cock after racking but before shooting the drill while on the clock, or shoot it SA from start to finish which wont reflect realistic carry condition.

Hopefully Todd will give the real answer, whatever that is. He is the arbiter of the F.A.S.T., not me.

For whatever it's worth, here are my thoughts:

Is your Beretta decocker-only? If not, I'd say to rack the slide with the safety on so it automatically decocks, and take the safety off while presenting the gun.

If it is decocker only, then things just aren't going to translate perfectly. To my thinking, you should still rack the slide to load the gun at the beginning, and just shoot the whole thing in SA. I don't like you having to lose the DA first shot, but I think it makes even less sense to load, but then decock when you actually intend to engage immediately – plus I think it will add some artificial time to your score.

If you do it all in SA, there is at least an approximation of you retrieving the gun, making it ready, and immediately engaging something, which I think is plausible and reasonable.

Up1911Fan
01-15-2015, 12:16 PM
Gonna shoot this tomorrow night @ work. I've been trying to work on it from IWB concealment under a t-shirt (that's tough) and about the best I can do it clean is mid-7's. I was getting pretty frustrated, but then I just re-read the instructions and realized I've been doing it on 8.5x11 paper instead of 8.5x14 legal paper. Maybe that will help some.

It will. I made that same mistake when I started shooting the FAST a couple years ago. Going from the 8.5x11 target to one printed to scale on the correct legal paper will make the headbox appear huge.

Mr_White
01-15-2015, 12:35 PM
I sure am glad to see people participating!

Mr_White
01-15-2015, 12:48 PM
I shot this the last few times I've been to the range.

Start position: Gen3 G34 w/Dawson Chargers, concealed under a t-shirt in a Keepers Concealment Keeper

January FASTs 1

http://youtu.be/o4Kw3Go-Z7w

Details:

3.66: 1.14, .27 / 1.56 / .23, .23, .23
4.68 (-1B): 1.09, .30 / 1.58 / .23, .25, .23 (Body shots centered a hair too low, one got out.)
5.42 (-1H): 1.07, .27 / 1.44 / .22, .21, .21 (3x5 shot out a half inch low left.)

Aggregate score: 13.76

January FASTs 2

http://youtu.be/lxw-7_yvK6A

Details:

3.37: 1.01, .26 / 1.43 / .22, .23, .22 (New personal best!)
4.89: 1.05, .27 / 2.90 / .23, .23, .21 (Ouch that reload hurts.)
5.86 (-1H): 1.10, .28 / 1.79 / .24, .23, .22 (Meh reload, 3x5 shot out by about a millimeter.)

Aggregate score: 14.12

January FASTs 3

Camera battery ran out, thankfully after the first run.

http://youtu.be/Sfz2UezXpMc

Details:

3.31: .96, .26 / 1.44 / .20, .23, .22 (New personal best!)
6.44 (-1H, -1B): 1.06, .28 / 1.45 / .22, .21, .22 (Ok, got wild after that last one/no video.)
4.24: 1.02, .25 / 2.32 / .22, .21, .22 (Blew it on the reload/no video.)

Aggregate score: 13.99

GJM
01-15-2015, 05:13 PM
I dug out my Filson vest, and shot this earlier today. CZ SP01, BT OWB, concealed with vest.

First, I shot it as a test, trying to shoot "carefully."

4.74 clean
5.09 - 1H
4.89 clean

Then, I shot it as a drill -- meaning I shot "naturally."

4.04 -1H
4.19 clean
4.06 clean

My reload from concealment still sucked, but I was shooting the first two shots in 1.50 or less.

In that there was no difference in my results shooting carefully versus normally, my take away is that I would need to slow down a LOT to try to guarantee 100 percent runs as opposed to shoot for 100 percent runs.

ssb
01-15-2015, 06:46 PM
Shot it this afternoon. Times aren't amazing, but they're better than they used to be. It's very cool to see this back up and running.

In the interest of transparency, I did shoot this after a round of TDA Dot Torture so the drill was not shot cold as intended.

My concealment reloads are still a work-in-progress. I think the biggest thing is that, even when I know the slidelock is coming, I still get a bit of a WTF moment before going into the reload. I'll be spending the next few weeks trying to trim my times down via dry fire.

While I didn't write them down, I know that my splits are slower than they could be. I definitely feel the slower speed on my part is to ensure that I get good hits. I know that I can shoot faster, but I don't know that I can guarantee that I get the hits I want yet. That's going to take some time for me as well.

Starting position: Gun concealed, hands in normal, rested position at the waist
Gun: SIG MK-25 w/ Trijicon HDs
Type of holster: JM Custom Kydex AIWB; JM Custom Kydex AIWB-SMP
String 1: 7.34s; -0 on head, -0 on body; total 7.34s. Time to first shot was 1.46s. Reload split time was 3.12s.
String 2: 7.16s; -0 on head, -0 on body; total 7.16s. Time to first shot was 1.39s. Reload split time was 3.24s.
String 3: 6.97s; -0 on head, -1 on body*; total 7.97s. Time to first shot was 1.40s. Reload split time was 2.88.
Aggregate score: 22.47s

*Shot was straddling the line of the circle. I wasn't sure if this counted as a miss or not so I added the penalty out of caution.

taadski
01-15-2015, 09:43 PM
In that there was no difference in my results shooting carefully versus normally, my take away is that I would need to slow down a LOT to try to guarantee 100 percent runs as opposed to shoot for 100 percent runs.

Guarantees aside, you have to admit that your "normal" has gotten a whole bunch more "careful" (or "attentive", "focused", "refined", "deliberate"….whatever ya wanna call it) after visiting Robbie. :p

It's cool to see you're maintaining a really good level of speed. Tends to support the belief system that accuracy is about paying more attention more than it is about slowing down.

Nice shooting gents…

t

ToddG
01-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Re: table start, I've never done that "officially" so I'd say do it however you want and report your start condition.

GJM, I say this with great sincerity, I was overjoyed to see the consistency in your performance. More impressive to me than anything.

Mr_White
01-16-2015, 11:00 AM
*Shot was straddling the line of the circle. I wasn't sure if this counted as a miss or not so I added the penalty out of caution.

If the grease ring touches the line, the shot is in.

accuracy is about paying more attention more than it is about slowing down

That's basically what I tend to think. More attention, more precision, largely irrespective of time.

LOKNLOD
01-16-2015, 10:49 PM
My hiatus has been even longer than that of the DotW, but I made it to the range today! According to the log book my last trip was 5/2/14 (and the one before that was 1/14/14...ugh).

I knew FAST was DotW but I didn't check the details, so I missed the 3 aggregate scores angle. I did run it three times, but twice with my G17 and twice with the new Shield (it's supposed to be my wife's...but I had to function check it, right?).

Gear was a Keeper appendix holster and JMCK canted mag pouch at ~11:00 position. I actually did the Shield draws from the G17 holster and mag pouch, which was a bit slower but I had already switched holsters several times and didn't want to screw with it again. Concealment was a t-shirt (it was in the 60's today!).

First run was with the Shield. It was clean, but I didn't get the time because the surefire shot timer app on my phone recorded over 10 shots and I couldn't cipher what was real data (real timer had a dead battery). It wasn't a blazing run, but I was pretty happy it was clean.
Second attempt with the Shield: 2.57, .83, 3.67, .38, .59, 1.11 - 9.11 raw. -1H. 11.11 score. (Check out the awesome short-stroke of the trigger on the last round).

With the G17 (grip chopped), first run was 2.48, .92, 2.56, .28, .38, .27 - 6.90 raw, -1B. 7.90 score.
Second run 2.26, .65, 2.65, .28, .37, .27 - 6.48 raw. -1H, -1B - 9.48 score.

So, aggregate score: 11.11, 7.90, 9.48 = 28.49

None of that is my best work, but considering all things I was actually pretty pleased. I was really rusty at the beginning of the session and absolutely bombed a dot torture session while knocking the rust off. If anything I'm glad to have recovered somewhat after being very frustrated at the start.

Glad DotW is back! I certainly won't get to make it every week still but am now on a half-day Friday schedule so I hope I will be able to take advantage of that to get more trips in.

luckyman
01-17-2015, 02:30 AM
Substitution question. I shoot at an indoor range. They allow drawing from a holster and shooting at speed, which is good. I only have a single lane, but that is no problem for this drill .

My challenge is the reload. Unless I do a reload with retention half the time my mag ends up in front of the table, where I can't retrieve it. And my reload with retention is dog slow and it doesn't feel productive to be working on that for speed. Any suggestions?

taadski
01-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Snip... And my reload with retention is dog slow and it doesn't feel productive to be working on that for speed. Any suggestions?

But, dude, what about your mad IDPA gaming skillz? [runs away] :cool:

luckyman
01-17-2015, 12:02 PM
But, dude, what about your mad IDPA gaming skillz? [runs away] :cool:

Hah! I'm still enough of a rookie I didn't even know that was a real thing (anything that timed / stressed fast reloads with retention). The training classes and little local informal competitions I've been to never did that.

I know you were just kidding, but maybe the best thing would be to go ahead and just do this using a reload with retention? And assume that dry practice will keep me away from the nasty habit of retaining my empty mag in the middle of an ugly situation ?

HopetonBrown
01-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Just fish the magazine back with one of the range brooms.

From my Motorola StarTAC.

Mr_White
01-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Just fish the magazine back with one of the range brooms.

I think this is the best option if you can do it.

I know you were just kidding, but maybe the best thing would be to go ahead and just do this using a reload with retention? And assume that dry practice will keep me away from the nasty habit of retaining my empty mag in the middle of an ugly situation ?

I don't think it would be any big problem to do a reload with retention. It will affect your score on the FAST a bit, but if you are doing any other practice at all, I wouldn't be concerned that it's going to turn all your reloads into reloads with retention. You'll be fine.

ToddG
01-17-2015, 01:10 PM
My challenge is the reload. Unless I do a reload with retention half the time my mag ends up in front of the table, where I can't retrieve it. And my reload with retention is dog slow and it doesn't feel productive to be working on that for speed. Any suggestions?

HopetonBrown's suggestion is what I use at the NRA Range. Other solutions I've used in the past:

If I'm using a large range bag, I position it in front of the spot where magazines usually land and the bag stops them from going forward of the line.
If the range provides cardboard backers for the target hangs, find a shot up backer and wedge it along the front of your booth so it stops anything from going forward of the line.

If you go to that range often enough and are really adventurous, you could cut a 2x4 about half an inch wider than the range booth's width and wedge it in there gently to catch mags from sliding forward. But seriously, HopetonBrown's solution is probably by far the easiest unless you're going to be doing a lot of reloads.

luckyman
01-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I tried just the broom solution before, but I had mags bounce off the table in front of me and bounce down the lane :-). The separators between lanes aren't very deep so they like you to be up close to the table.
I think I will try it again , and in any case one of these solutions will definitely work .

JAD
01-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Lightweight Commander .45, milt sparks EX-RSO, sweater.
11.37, 9.37 with a head miss. Bungled reload.
8.40 clean. Also bungled.
6.96 clean. Not bungled.
26.73, mostly bungled.

Springfield RO 9x19, JRC SSA, sweater
7.29 clean
6.64 clean
6.40 clean

luckyman
01-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Glock 19, jmck aiwb

7.01 + 2 misses = 9.01
6.9 clean
6.46 clean
Total 22.37

gringop
01-17-2015, 07:34 PM
G19, Sparks Exec Companion at 7 o'clock, concealed.

6.40, clean
6.26, clean
6.54 1 B miss, 7.54

Aggregate 20.2.

I've been shooting this cold to start every practice for over a year and this is one of the first times I have shot clean heads on all 3 strings. This is the best FAST that I have run in a year.

In years past I was able to shoot this clean with times between 5 and 6 seconds but I don't practice twice a week anymore and don't dry fire at all now. I guess that I am shooting in somewhat more relaxed state and am not rushing to try and match my old draw speeds.

Gringop

taadski
01-18-2015, 01:41 AM
Hah! I'm still enough of a rookie I didn't even know that was a real thing (anything that timed / stressed fast reloads with retention). The training classes and little local informal competitions I've been to never did that.

I was mostly just joshing, but there WAS a time where one could gain quite a bit of an advantage on certain IDPA stages by having particularly quick RWRs. I practiced them for the expressed purpose of those occasions and can say I've put them to good effect. :-)

My recommendation for the FAST, as these astute gentlemen have already suggested, would be to just do the reload. Perhaps a puffy jacket or blanket or something at your feet might keep the mag from bouncing so far? That's what I use dry practicing at home to keep from dinging my wood floors and it does an alright job of keeping the mag put. (Shrug). Just an idea.

t

luckyman
01-18-2015, 02:22 AM
Yep, in SoCal so used a sweatshirt instead of puffy down jacket; but that is what I did and it worked fine.

HopetonBrown
01-18-2015, 05:59 AM
I was able to shoot a single FAST Test on Saturday.

Glock 19, Ameriglo Hack sights, Cold Bore Custom stipple job, Vickers Tango Down controls, Taran Tactical Innovations spring & connector kit. Kydex Werks appendix rig, zero cant, Off The Grid double mag pouch, Aegis belt by Ares gear under a fleece vest.

5.80 which is extremely good for me.

ASH556
01-19-2015, 09:56 AM
I went into the range after work Friday evening and ran this. I brought six targets and my intent was to run it 3X from OWB concealment with an unzipped jacket and then 3X from IWB concealment under a polo shirt. I don't have a real timer and my app was malfunctioning for the first set of three so I don't have any good numbers from those runs, but I did manage to get a buddy to take a video of one of the runs. Hopefully this will help identify areas of improvement.

The second run of three was also shot from OWB under a jacket and my times were all in the 5.6 sec range, but none were clean. Again, my timer had issues picking up things like the gun clearing the holster, the mag insertion, etc as shots, so the splits aren't reliable, but the overall time is. I dropped one or two shots on every run. I think I need to slow down just enough to reliably focus on my sights and then try to build speed again once I'm getting all of my hits.

Gear: Gen 4 Glock 17, TCAP front sight, Defoor rear, factory minus connector and extended slide stop. Surefire X300/DG-11. Raven OWB, Comp-tac mag carrier. Jones Tactical belt.

Typical target:
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/B3DA69C0-DF51-40F1-BFB3-5D7F7A6362DB.jpg

Video:
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/th_E28A6040-02F3-4535-A153-8EE13F210675.mp4 (http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/E28A6040-02F3-4535-A153-8EE13F210675.mp4)

Just to make myself feel a little better, I shot these 10 at 25yds in about 30 seconds. I think I'm to the point where I need to stop practicing shooting bulls @ 25 for awhile and start running some more speed drills:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DA13D378-4CF3-480D-B901-8A187A62BA05.jpg

ASH556
01-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Oops, meant to include this. This is the target from the video run above:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/3AE9D6D1-0E0A-44A8-AC99-552F25258184.jpg

nwhpfan
01-19-2015, 06:04 PM
I *never* train concealed but to play i put my Back to the Future Vest over my Production Gear. This run was 4.86 or 4.96. Couldn't tell because the timer battery was going dead and could barely read the display. I was aiming at the head box which is 2x4 since I didn't have any 3x5 cards. Can't find IDPA targets with 0 lying around like ISPC targets either. Did 5-6 runs concealed between 4:40-5:07. Did 3 in a row clean without the vest of 3:73, 3:77, and 3:83. Would like to know what a penalty for no concealment would be. 3 secs. isn't really serous.

http://youtu.be/mRFuFN25dsY

Edwin
01-19-2015, 07:35 PM
I post this PSA with love and hope to spread the knowledge about the terrible affliction of VVS. Please think of the children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

HopetonBrown
01-19-2015, 09:24 PM
I've just remembered that I took off my vest before my FAST so I need to add 3 seconds as I was using an open top holster without concealment.

From my Motorola StarTAC.

Edwin
01-19-2015, 11:15 PM
Something more constructive: If you have the Shotmaxx watch and use the trainer app (Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oncore.ShotMaxxTrainerAndroid), iPhone (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shotmaxx-trainer/id824446059?mt=8)), you can download the F.A.S.T. drill onto your phone for automatic time/scoring here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/z48hh00gcazso1n/FAST.drill?dl=0).

Clobbersaurus
01-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Video:
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/th_E28A6040-02F3-4535-A153-8EE13F210675.mp4 (http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/E28A6040-02F3-4535-A153-8EE13F210675.mp4)

That's an interesting way to clear your cover garment, I've never seen it done quite that way before.

ASH556
01-20-2015, 02:49 PM
That's an interesting way to clear your cover garment, I've never seen it done quite that way before.

Yeah, I don't know if it's good or bad. I'm sure it's not the fastest way to do it, but I get 100% clear results doing it that way whereas trying to do it strong hand only I sometimes still get caught up in the cover. I'd love to hear some feedback on it.

Sean O
01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
G19 JM AIWB

All runs we're clean, but my lack of pistol practice is showing in my draw especially.

Range1
01-20-2015, 05:32 PM
First time posting, longtime lurker. Recently retired LEO firearms instructor so let me get all the excuses out of the way first. I have not shot nor dry fired much for past couple of years. My eyes are not so good as I have had cataract surgery and wear glasses for near vision. I ain't so young anymore. Sun was in my eyes part of the time, etc., etc., etc. In other words I just plain need a whole lot more practice. Anyway here are my results for the F.A.S.T (or in my case the SLOW)

Using Comp Tac strong side belt holster from concealment.
Firing Glock 22 gen 4 and Glock 34.
For the 22: 2.35 .82 3.32 .59 .66 .58 Raw time 8.32 +2 (1 Head miss) = 10.32
2.44 .89 3.15 .54 .48 .50 Raw time 8.00 +0 (No misses) = 8.00
2.22 .94 2.92 .96 .59 .64 Raw time 8.27 +2 (1 Head miss) = 10.27
Aggregate: 28.59

For the 34: 2.16 .66 2.75 .49 .46 .44 Raw time 6.96 +2 (1 Head miss) =8.96
2.64 .96 2.77 .49 .45 .39 Raw time 7.70 +0 (No misses) =7.70
2.60 .74 2.64 .47 .40 .38 Raw time 7.23 +2 (1 Head miss) =9.23
Aggregate: 25.89

No place to go but up from here. Also want to say thanks to Mr_White for getting the DOTW going again. I look forward to participating and hopefully improving even though I can only get to a range once a month or so.

Clobbersaurus
01-21-2015, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I don't know if it's good or bad. I'm sure it's not the fastest way to do it, but I get 100% clear results doing it that way whereas trying to do it strong hand only I sometimes still get caught up in the cover. I'd love to hear some feedback on it.

I tried this tonight and couldn't get it to work for me. But if you are getting 100% results, I'd say keep doing it.

YVK
01-22-2015, 05:41 PM
5.67-5.44-5.44 for 16.55 total.

P30 LEM/SME/BMC/115 gr Lawman ammo.

GardoneVT
01-22-2015, 08:38 PM
FAST, 7ds
Holster: Carpeted Range Table.
Ammo: 115gr FMJ.
Equipment: Beretta M9 Commercial
Firearm Modifications: None. Factory sights and hammer spring.
Target: Pistol-Training 2.0 paper target.

Starting Position For Run 1: Hammer down, empty chamber, on safe with loaded magazine inserted on range table.
Drill accomplished by racking slide and disengaging safety before shooting head-box target.

Time :7.96

Starting Position for Run 2: Loaded Chamber, hammer down off-safe in ready position.
Time: 6.71

Starting Position for Run 3: Loaded Chamber, safety off, hammer down on range table.

Time: 7.73

Starting Position for Run 4: Hammer down, loaded chamber , safety off with pistol in ready position.
Time: 6.48

Mean(Average): 7.22
Median : 7.22
Range : 1.48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82vIUTfFC_w&feature=youtu.be

Kyle Reese
01-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Glock 17 Gen 4

Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ

JMCK AIWB holster & single mag pouch - concealed with polo shirt

Run 1: 5.37
Run 2: 6.32 (-1 Body)
Run 3: 5.13

Aggregate 16.82

ASH556
01-23-2015, 10:14 PM
I decided to tempt fate and run the FAST again tonight. I only had 8.5x11 printouts tonight so the target areas are a little shrunk. Even so, pretty pleased with the performance overall. I focused much more on seeing a good sight picture before breaking the shots tonight and it paid off. Then I sped things up on a 4th run and shaved a whole second off my overall time! Seems to me like I stand to gain the most by speeding up my draw and reload. Shot with a gen 4 Glock 17, IWB concealed in an Armordillo Xfer under a Tshirt. Sorry, I forgot to take pics of #2 and #3 before putting the next target up, so they show more hits, but the written times are correct.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/9C32A653-1D4E-453D-B462-3D27E7432C51.jpg (http://s854.photobucket.com/user/ASH556/media/9C32A653-1D4E-453D-B462-3D27E7432C51.jpg.html)

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/E8B17944-CDA2-461C-BB69-C6180AC47008.jpg (http://s854.photobucket.com/user/ASH556/media/E8B17944-CDA2-461C-BB69-C6180AC47008.jpg.html)
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/F423F7A1-B3BE-4B52-89F6-1882CF90F49A.jpg (http://s854.photobucket.com/user/ASH556/media/F423F7A1-B3BE-4B52-89F6-1882CF90F49A.jpg.html)
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/82B4686A-E213-4F44-97CA-6632B8C16739.jpg (http://s854.photobucket.com/user/ASH556/media/82B4686A-E213-4F44-97CA-6632B8C16739.jpg.html)

2alpha-down0
01-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Glad to see DotW back!

M&P9 (Apex internals, Trijicon HDs), JMCK AIWB under a polo, Freedom Munitions 115gr.

4.76 -1h = 6.76
4.71 -1b = 5.71
4.74 clean
Aggregate 17.21

M&P40 (factory internals, factory night sights), Safariland 6360, open top mag pouch, Freedom Munitions 180gr.

5.78 -1b = 6.78
4.84 -1b = 5.84
4.78 -1b = 5.78
Aggregate 18.40
Misses with the .40 were all the last round fired and high by about an inch. Outrunning my sights a bit.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapawhatsit

Clobbersaurus
01-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Girsan Regard 9mm
Bladetech OWB Holster
Stupid looking vest for concealment
AE 124g
Safety on in the holster

I'm embarrassed to post these numbers....

1st (cold - haven't shot for 3 weeks) 6.31 +2H = 8.31
2nd: 6.11 +2H = 8.11
3rd: 6.18 +2H +1B = 9.18

DocGKR
02-02-2015, 01:20 AM
Sadly I have not been able to train much for the past several months.

G19 w/RMR06 in Unity ATOM mount carried AIWB in a JM Custom from under an untucked long sleeve flannel shirt and TNF Apex jacket firing Fed AE9FP 147 gr FMJ.

7.01s (-1H low on second shot) = 9.01s adjusted time
6.58s clean
5.87s clean

Total aggregate for 3 runs = 21.46s/7.15s ave

Corey
02-03-2015, 07:45 PM
M&P 9mm, Blade-Tech holster, open front concealment.

7.29, 2.20, .69, 2.20, .46, .38, .36, -1 on 8" circle
6.94, 2.54, .98, 2.36, .38, .36, .32 clean
6.48, 2.13, .97, 2.29, .42, .35, .32 clean

Total time: 20.71 seconds

My miss was the 2nd shot on the 8" circle, jerked the shot off paper to the left.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/coreyh2/Pistol%20Forum/FAST.jpg

Took a break from shooting in October and just started up again last week. The dry fire drills should start knocking the rust off.

miller_man
02-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Time to face the music, said I would participate . . . warning this is ugly and filled with lame attempts for excuses. But oh well, should only get better from here.

Shot from concealment with Dale Fricke ArchAngel holster. Stock G-19 with ameriglo sights.

1st and probably pretty legit excuse - just put new sights on my pistol and this was the first time shooting with them (except the 12 rounds to "sight them in"). I found these definitely have a lower POI than my previous sights, maybe even too low, but my previous Pro I dots seemed to almost be a 6 o'clock hold.
2nd excuse - this was my first F.A.S.T.
3rd excuse - had to shoot it in front of pretty good USPSA guys, and yes got the "shoot your dick off" comment about my AIWB, lol.

OK,
6.20 +6s =12.20 overall- awesome, I suck!! 2H miss (low, like 2"), 2B miss
6.11 +5s =11.11 overall - noticing the 3x5 are consistently 2-3" low 2H miss, 1B miss
6.40 +3s =9.40 overall - finally got a 3x5 shot! 1H miss, 1B miss, (this one felt pretty good until I short stroked the trigger on the last body shot, I did that and freaked out and snatched the trigger and got the body miss. Felt pretty good otherwise)

32.71 aggregate

I was shooting for around 6 sec or so, felt pretty comfortable with that in dry fire practice and with an adjustment or more practice with the sights I feel I can make this goal next time, prob break sub 6 with more practice. Wasn't running the timer and other guys were waiting to shoot so I didn't get all the numbers but my draw was 2.1, 1.9, 2.0 and learned my splits were consistently .4-.5 (really could use some improvement).

Had to shoot one clean so I ran a couple more and finally got a 7.75 clean - but my 3x5 was 2.7, 3.17 (making sure I had the right sight picture to get my 3x5 hits).

Proof! http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/mattz22/a42.jpg (http://s84.photobucket.com/user/mattz22/media/a42.jpg.html) - (misses were from previous strings)

Learned a lot, had fun, found plenty to work on. Can't wait to do it again.

ToddG
02-08-2015, 07:55 PM
This was my first time shooting the F.A.S.T. since December 2013. That's just so weird to wrap my head around.

All scores include accuracy penalties.

Run 1
8.13 (clean / 2.57, .71 / 3.64 / .43, .40, 38)
Clearly fumbled on reload

http://youtu.be/R_SfLm7Qu4Q

Run 2
8.97 (-1B / 2.73, .76 / 3.24 / .49, .40, .35)
Less disastrous reload fumble, tried pushing faster than I could see on body shots

http://youtu.be/gJ7Df3JsMTU

Run 3
8.11 (-1B / 2.49, .64 / 3.63 / .33, .30, .30)
Looked at target after head shots = slow reload; thought going even faster on body shots would somehow improve my accuracy (???)

http://youtu.be/VALdmO39SRw

Aggregate: 25.21s

Jason Burton Heirloom Precision 9mm Commander
JM Custom Kydex AIWB
Custom Carry Concepts BMC mag pouches

Shot from concealment under fleece half-zip

40Green
02-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Shot with an HKP2000 w/x300 in duty holster and mag pouches. One clean run. Shot cold first thing.
1. 6.82 -1h -2b=9.82
2. 6.84 clean
3. 7.14 -1h= 9.14
Total Time=25.8

As a side note thank you to all those individuals who have contributed to these drills in the past and future. It has cleaned up my shooting greatly. I have used the drills of the week a lot for a long time, glad to see them back. Thank you again.

ToddG
02-09-2015, 02:55 PM
1. 6.82 -1h -2b=9.82

2s per head and 1s per body so 6.82 -1H -2B = 10.82. Not trying to pick on you at all, dude.

martinmj
02-11-2015, 10:55 PM
G19 concealed with fleece jacket in TCS Phantom OWB

1: 8:31 clean
2: 8.61 -1h
3: 8.71 clean

T: 27.63

EricM
02-12-2015, 12:38 AM
G17 concealed AIWB

7.91 -1h (1/2" left) = 9.91
7.74 -2h (2" low) = 11.74
6.45 -2b (~1" high and right...oh yeah I should keep an eye on my front sight huh) = 8.45

Aggregate score = 30.1

Draws were meh, reloads were beyond terrible, splits were fine...so yeah that pretty much reflects what I have and haven't been doing the last few months, though there's no excuse for that many misses.

wmu12071
02-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Glock 19 in a CCC shaggy with a foam wedge on the bottom concealed under a hoody.

2.1, .51, 2.1, .2, .19, .17 5.27 -1H total 7.27

2.15, .55, 2.31, .17, .19, .28 5.65 clean

2.1, .71, 2.48, .38, .31 .24 6.22 -1H total 8.22

The first run I was barely out of the head box.

Second run I bounced the mag off the well and lost the sight on the last shot.

Third run was terrible. I watched the front sight drive way low on the second shot then fumbled the reload and shot too slow making sure I hit the huge 8" circle.

KevinB
02-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Todd has my stats and the video from my poor attempts -- IIRC I went from 7 something clean to 11 something ugly -- need to get back practicing from concealment.

M&P CORE w/ DP Pro in RCS IWB at 9 - with UnderArmor Sweater thingy (not ideal to draw from - but a common item I wear).

joshs
02-12-2015, 09:30 PM
I ran the FAST twice during the DotW period.

The first time, was on Jan. 16 at the NRA range with ToddG while I was famfiring his new Heirloom Commander. I very rarely shooting 1911's, and it showed in my results.

Heirloom Commander, JMCK AIWB, and untucked t-shirt.

17.49 (-1H, -2B)
10.42 (-1H, -1B) No slide-lock. I'm bad at math.
5.71 clean <--I'm going with all subsequent runs would have been like this one since I obviously just needed to get used to a pistol that's much different than what I'm used to shooting ;)

Total = 33.60

The second time I shot it was on 2/7 after nearly three weeks of zero practice.

Glock 19, 5 Shot SME, untucked t-shirt.

6.56 (-1B) Fumbled reload -> bad grip -> missed body shot
7.95 (-1H, -1B) I missed the first shot on the draw (I'm working on a lower j-type presentation and broke the shot as soon as I saw fiber on the card rather than waiting for the sight to settle). I was looking at the missed shot through the rest of the run, which I assume led to the missed body shot, but I don't know because I couldn't see it and there were no other holes on the entire target. None of the 3 holes in the body looked like doubles though, so I assume I missed completely.

Total = 19.84

Mr_White
02-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Got one more set of FASTs in yesterday.

Start position: Gen3 G34 w/Dawson Chargers, concealed under a t-shirt in a Keepers Concealment Keeper

3.77: 1.17, .34 / 1.56 / .23, .24, .23
5.55 (-1 H): 1.08, .32 / 1.44 / .24, .24, .23
3.67: 1.07, .35 / 1.55 / .23, .24, .23

Total: 12.99

Screwed up and didn't record the last run, oh well.

http://youtu.be/QN_t6wol4_M