PDA

View Full Version : Drill of the Week is back!

Mr_White
01-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Drill of the Week is back!

There are many people here on pistol-forum who are interested in improving their skills. A great way to do that is regular participation in ongoing drills. The Drill of the Week has been a great motivator in the past, and it can be so again.

I'll be posting a drill about once a week starting now.

There will be a variety of drills with different requirements. Some of the live fire drills will require more freedom on the range (multiple targets, movement, drawing from a holster, etc.) and many will be simpler and more suitable for a single lane on an indoor range. There will also be some dry drills at some point too. Range restrictions might prevent some people from doing some of the drills, but everyone will be able to do at least some of them.

One change that's being made is that while I'll post a drill each week, it will stay open for a month – so a person who gets to the range once every few weeks can still participate in most or all of the weekly drills.

I can't wait to see interest in the Drill of the Week rekindled. There was a lot of participation at one time, and I hope we can rebuild that.

Peally
01-14-2015, 03:58 PM
I appreciate it guys, I really enjoyed when this was running. It was a great opportunity to break out of the usual ruts and try something out of the blue :)

Also awesome that the time limit is increased. Life happens and sometimes it's longer than 7 days between range trips!

Jared
01-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Mr_White,

Glad to see this is back, makes me happy.

Any chance that when you are selecting these drills for the month that you'll be able to select drills that compliment each other to work toward a larger goal? I realize that it might be kind of difficult to consistently do it, but I think it would be really cool to get way a look into how you think about training and progression.

DiscipulusArmorum
01-16-2015, 02:45 AM
Thanks for doing this!

Mr_White
01-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Makes me very happy that there are some people excited to participate. I sure am.

Any chance that when you are selecting these drills for the month that you'll be able to select drills that compliment each other to work toward a larger goal? I realize that it might be kind of difficult to consistently do it, but I think it would be really cool to get way a look into how you think about training and progression.

I'll try to do that to the degree I can. I am all about meta-structure in an overall set of drills. There are two issues with that in the Drill of the Week format though. I have to mix up the drill requirements, or else a lot of people won't be able to participate – like if I chose eight consecutive weeks of drills that all required drawing from a holster. Or if we did many weeks of dry drills in a row, I think some people are going to find that very boring, even though that could have a great overall structure. I also think that for a set of drills to have a useful overall progression, they probably have to happen closer together than once a week. It's going to jump around some, but I really try to always think bigger than one drill at a time, so I'll definitely try to do what I can.

Gabe

JackRock
01-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Woohoo! I was hoping for this to come back.

Jared
01-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Mr_White,

Good to hear, that's pretty much what I was hoping for. I do understand the limitations. Thanks again.

taadski
01-16-2015, 11:06 PM
Dude, Thanks for taking point on this. It's a part of the site that has been sorely missed!

t

miller_man
01-17-2015, 07:43 AM
:D Awesome!! I've mostly been a lurker on this site, but will be excited to participate in these and become more of an active member.

I get envious of the range access + time a lot of members on here have - and I have gotten to a point that I DETEST indoor square ranges. But I've become a member of a USPSA club and can run real drills/practice after our setup day, so the drills being open a month long is great! Looking forward to it. Thanks for bringing it back.

Mr_White
01-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Welcome, miller_man! Glad you will join us.