PDA

View Full Version : APD - Officer shot during traffic stop.

Shellback
01-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Thankfully, Officer Lou Golson survived the ordeal and is recovering now. The shooter was caught by 2 BCSD officers the following day. (http://www.abqjournal.com/521828/news/police-arrest-man-suspected-of-shooting-apd-officer.html) Link has additional photos of vehicle and his lapel camera was used to help identify the shooter.

One of the shots went through his left side and broke his left femur, according to the complaint. Three shots hit his bulletproof vest causing bruises, and he broke his wrist during the fall.
Video NSFW due to language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8-hgt8Z_qI

RoyGBiv
01-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Eden said he was visiting Golson on Monday night, when a young man came to the hospital to wish him well.

“It was actually a young man he had issued a traffic citation to. He wanted to make sure that the officer knew that the community was thinking of him, that their thoughts and prayers were with him, and I think that speaks to the nature of our community,” Eden said.
Nice.

jnc36rcpd
01-07-2015, 06:46 PM
I don't think I'd sound as calm on the radio after being shot four times. Good job and speedy recovery to OFC Golson. Nice catch by BCSD.

TCinVA
01-07-2015, 06:48 PM
One hell of a time for a malfunction...

JodyH
01-07-2015, 06:59 PM
It's easy to see why LEO hit percentages suck.
From zero to being shot 4 times and falling flat on your back in 2 seconds would tend to throw anyones fundamentals off just a bit.

I have a ton of respect for Albuquerque area LEO's, they have a hell of a zoo to tend to out there.

JodyH
01-07-2015, 07:11 PM
I think reloading with a broken wrist was his malfunction.
Calm dude, he sounded pissed when he had a click instead of a bang when the guy took off running.

JodyH
01-07-2015, 07:26 PM
On a purely technical note, this shows once again that cars are tough to penetrate at steep angles.
There are pictures of the officers nice neat grouping right into the door jamb area, trajectory wise they should have been straight into the bad guy in the drivers seat but none actually made it there.

Shellback
01-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Maintained his composure, big time. Not sure how much emphasis is placed on shooting through doors for the average cop but it's definitely something to think about in terms of placement. From this picture I would've thought he'd smoked the guy. Food for thought, not being critical of his actions.

http://main.abqjournal.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RER1493-1000x697.jpg

TCinVA
01-07-2015, 07:52 PM
That's right into a structural member and the window motor...both of which are pretty robust on that vehicle. Not much you can carry on your hip is going to get through that easily.

GJM
01-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Very frightening video. Once the police officer went to slide lock, I am very glad the bad guy didn't decide to shoot him again. If the officer had a do over, I wonder whether he would opt for more capacity, a BUG, or both.

TCinVA
01-07-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm going to guess that the scumbag couldn't shoot anymore. I'm only seeing very low resolution video but I thought I saw the bad guys gun on the ground.

TCinVA
01-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Finally looking at it in higher res, I'm wrong. The bad guy's gun isn't on the ground...no idea why he didn't keep shooting.

ToddG
01-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Very frightening video. Once the police officer went to slide lock, I am very glad the bad guy didn't decide to shoot him again. If the officer had a do over, I wonder whether he would opt for more capacity, a BUG, or both.

There's a very well known (former) Chicago PD officer who, in two separate fights against two separate EDPs, emptied a SIG P220 .45 (1st incident, 9 rounds) and a SIG P226 9mm (16 rounds) and in both cases barely slowed the guy(s) down. In both instances he reloaded and made a final decisive head shot.

Last I knew, he continued carrying the 9mm. His logic was that if they were all equally ineffective, he'd at least rather have more bullets than fewer.

Also to the original thread: Someone needs to teach ABQ-area LEOs to stop trying to kick bullets out of the air with their femurs. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery to the APD officer.

TGS
01-07-2015, 09:19 PM
He is unbelievably calm. Consummate professionalism.

Good observations on the intermediate barriers. The video is really compelling to carry bonded ammo, considering both times I established a master grip would have involved shooting through a car.

Also a really compelling reason to carry a New York reload accessible by both hands. Lots of people are probably going to say, "Oh shit 1911! Doesn't have teh capacitiez!", but given how many accounts there are of shooters emptying their entire mag without realizing it, I think that argument isn't terribly productive. He very well may have just shot 16 rounds instead of 8 if he had a G19, and then still been out and waiting for an execution. Having something quick to draw as a last line while you're broken and bleeding on the ground seems like a better option to have than huge mags, IMO.

NickA
01-07-2015, 09:21 PM
There's a very well known (former) Chicago PD officer who, in two separate fights against two separate EDPs, emptied a SIG P220 .45 (1st incident, 9 rounds) and a SIG P226 9mm (16 rounds) and in both cases barely slowed the guy(s) down. In both instances he reloaded and made a final decisive head shot.

Last I knew, he continued carrying the 9mm. His logic was that if they were all equally ineffective, he'd at least rather have more bullets than fewer.

Also to the original thread: Someone needs to teach ABQ-area LEOs to stop trying to kick bullets out of the air with their femurs. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery to the APD officer.
Bob Stasch? If so great interview here:
http://proarmspodcast.com/052-interview-with-bob-stasch-of-the-chicago-police-department/

Sorry for the derail.

Chuck Haggard
01-07-2015, 09:59 PM
On a purely technical note, this shows once again that cars are tough to penetrate at steep angles.
There are pictures of the officers nice neat grouping right into the door jamb area, trajectory wise they should have been straight into the bad guy in the drivers seat but none actually made it there.

The B pillar area on cars is pretty much immune to pistol fire, and tends to stop quite a few rifle rounds as well.

One of the things I taught our guys was how to get into a car with pistol fire. Kinds of "Tactical Anatomy" on cars.

The doors are best gotten through from perpendicular, and in the center-ish area above or below the crash bar that most of them have built into them. Trunks can be shot through side-to-side very easily for the most part, by rounds as small as .22 rifle, or buckshot (buckshot sucks against cars BTW). The A and B pillars stop pistol fire very handily.

SeriousStudent
01-07-2015, 10:09 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with Officer Golson, that he makes a complete and speedy recovery.

EM_
01-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Bob Stasch? If so great interview here:
http://proarmspodcast.com/052-interview-with-bob-stasch-of-the-chicago-police-department/

Sorry for the derail.

EM_
01-07-2015, 10:18 PM

Last I knew, he continued carrying the 9mm. His logic was that if they were all equally ineffective, he'd at least rather have more bullets than fewer.[/B]

Assuming the same fella here. Since leaving CPD to focus on the school he's been teaching/practicing with a 9mm, but carrying a Robar G21. Best of both worlds kind of thing, I suppose, if one can get their hands around the G21. That was about a year ago last time I shot with him before I moved. Glad you're doing better.

TCinVA
01-07-2015, 11:57 PM
The B pillar area on cars is pretty much immune to pistol fire, and tends to stop quite a few rifle rounds as well.

One of the things I taught our guys was how to get into a car with pistol fire. Kinds of "Tactical Anatomy" on cars.

The doors are best gotten through from perpendicular, and in the center-ish area above or below the crash bar that most of them have built into them. Trunks can be shot through side-to-side very easily for the most part, by rounds as small as .22 rifle, or buckshot (buckshot sucks against cars BTW). The A and B pillars stop pistol fire very handily.

If one has never been through such an anatomy class, this might be of some assistance:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/tag/buick-of-truth/

jnc36rcpd
01-08-2015, 01:24 AM
Point well taken, TGS, but there is the problem of carrying the BUG you want to have versus the BUG you can conceal. For a small gun, I really like the Shield, but I have to carry it on my SBA. That entails getting through the shirt (and possibly the coat and/or sweater), finding the pistol, and dragging the weapon out without shooting myself The 10-24 holster is somewhat better, but not much. The BUG Pocket is the best option, but cannot be sewn to our vest carriers. I'm actually considering a transition to the S&W Bodyguard .380 which I think could be carried in a pocket or neck chain holster.

farscott
01-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Best wishes to the officer and hoping for a quick recovery.

On the vehicle, the metal structure is formed and gets lots of rigidity around the door openings, so the pillars are the worst place for a spot to shoot through as the pillars are the thickest gauge metal and welded. Based on my past experience designing vehicles, the portion of the door that is the least likely to stop a bullet is just below the window opening to the belt line (if the window is up) and from below the belt line to an inch or so above the floorboards.

From where the officer was laying, he did not have a great angle at the shooter, but he made the most of a really bad situation. Dang, he was cool.

UNM1136
02-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Point well taken, TGS, but there is the problem of carrying the BUG you want to have versus the BUG you can conceal. For a small gun, I really like the Shield, but I have to carry it on my SBA. That entails getting through the shirt (and possibly the coat and/or sweater), finding the pistol, and dragging the weapon out without shooting myself The 10-24 holster is somewhat better, but not much. The BUG Pocket is the best option, but cannot be sewn to our vest carriers. I'm actually considering a transition to the S&W Bodyguard .380 which I think could be carried in a pocket or neck chain holster.

His backup actually caught one of the rounds. During initial interviews they were missing a round. He told them that he knew his backup was hit, and eventually they found the round lodged in the backup.

pat