PDA

View Full Version : glock mag maintenance.

noguns
01-06-2015, 08:17 PM
What is the consensus on replacement of springs and followers? OEM glock or others like wolf extra power? How often do you all replace your mag springs? How do I check for follower issues?

I probably have almost 30 mags all together including 10 kci " range b$%&" mags that I installed wolf springs in to reduce wear on my glock mags. Would replacement of springs every couple years be good? Am I being too cautious?

Thanks in advance!

johncorey
01-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Well, I've been shooting OEM mags purchased new over 10 years ago, and they're still going strong at the range. Would not recommend carry use.

I would stick to OEM springs and OEM followers. I'd suggest numbering your mags and keeping track of their use that way, via a corresponding training/shooting journal. With the amount of mags listed, it would be too easy to split them into carry/range use categories. Dedicated mags will help out with keeping track, assuming you aren't already.

As for follower wear and tear, once the mags start failing to engage the slide lock or start playing tricks on bullets during the loading process, that's when it's time to replace them. I stick to OEM Glock parts. Can't go wrong.

Gio
01-06-2015, 10:40 PM
I have honestly never replaced springs or followers in any of my glock mags. I have worn out the mag release/catch notch on several mags used for dry fire to the point where the mag wouldn't give a positive "click" when seating. In fairness, my agency will replace mags when they are worn down, which I do every couple years, but I have not had any mag induced failures in stock glock mags as a result of worn springs or parts.

ST911
01-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Mag should insert, click in place, and come out without resistance.
Slide should lock back with empty mag inserted.
Check the notches on the mag for fraying or deformation of the polymer. It can be cleaned up to a point if the first check isn't compromised.
Notches and tabs locking the floor plate to the mag body should seat to each other. No fraying or deformation.
When the floor plate is off, a couple of coils of spring should be visible outside the mag.
Check the follower for same fraying or deformation.
Spring probably has a slight twist to it when used, but should still be mostly straight.
Look inside the magazine and up the back wall. If the seam is bending inward or coming unzipped, the mag is done.

Followers, springs, floor plates and inserts can be replaced individually. Mag bodies do wear. When in doubt, throw it out.

Chuck Haggard
01-07-2015, 11:51 AM
We have had some of our Glock 17 mags on duty since 2006, most of them in fact, with these being cleaned and inspected every six months during training days. Haven't seen any issues yet.

JonInWA
01-07-2015, 01:03 PM
With 9mm G17 and G19 magazines, so as long as they're taken apart for cleaning as necessary, the springs should be good for thousands of rounds. .40 magazine springs are noted for needing more frequent replacement. My G21 .45 ACP magazine springs seem to be about as durable as my G17/G9 9mm springs.

If you attend any GSSF matches, the on-site armorer will function check and replace gratis any springs needing replacement.

Best, Jon

JBP55
01-07-2015, 02:55 PM
If the springs are working properly clean and inspect them twice a year unless they are dropped in mud, etc. Glock recommends replacing the magazine spring when it is compressed 1.5 coils shorter than a new spring, or if the spring is bent or twisted even if it is working properly. I normally put a dozen new G17 magazines in service yearly and sell the used magazines cheap after cleaning. New springs would do just as well.

noguns
01-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice gents.

ST911
01-07-2015, 09:30 PM
We have had some of our Glock 17 mags on duty since 2006, most of them in fact, with these being cleaned and inspected every six months during training days. Haven't seen any issues yet.

Same here, many going back much farther. I still run into early NFML mags that run quite well.

JBP55
01-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Local PD had some old Sig P220's and I traded them in for Glocks about 2007 and they are still running these Glock pistols with original magazines.

David Armstrong
01-08-2015, 04:52 PM
I have a few G17 NFML mags from back when I started Glocking in 1992 that are original spring and follower that are still going strong. I did replace the spring and follower in one a while back because it would not consistently lock the slide back. Other than that, no problem. Having said that, I do replace springs in my G19's carry mag annually, but that is only because I replace all the springs on my G19 annually as it is my carry gun. I use OEM because they work fine and cost very little.

WDW
01-09-2015, 12:29 AM
The best Glock mag maintenance is to throw them away & buy new ones.

David Armstrong
01-10-2015, 04:36 PM
The best Glock mag maintenance is to throw them away & buy new ones.
Not sure why one would throw away a perfectly good magazine???